Options

**********2018 DALLAS COWBOYS**********

Comments

• Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    The Cowboys just hired Bill Polian as their GM :shock:

You know you are a true Cowboys fan if you didn't believe that for a second. Cmon, it's Jerry jack of all trades Jones we are talking about here. And boy does he jack up trades :lol:
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Hey, if you guys don't want him that's cool, I was just throwing out a suggestion. But Romo's best years are sadly behind him I think. He's starting to break down physically. Although this last injury was a bit of a fluke, but still, he's injured more often than he's healthy. How long do you keep trying to force the issue before you finally give up and admit he's not the second coming of Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman? Even when he's healthy he hasn't been insanely good. And before you throw out stats, I don't really care, they can be deceiving, and I think Romo is one of those cases. You guys are the Dallas Cowboys, one of the flagship franchises in the league, you shouldn't be settling for Romo. I know everything is not his fault, but he's not helping matters in my opinion. Other things need to change as well. Before I even worried about the QB I'd be shopping for a new defensive coordinator.

I like Flynn, but he's leaving Green Bay, I would prefer he not go to the Cowboys since I'm obviously not a fan of the franchise, but I think he can do better than Romo. And he would certainly be popular as he's a hometown boy (not Dallas, but in-State) from Tyler. Only time will tell if he'll be any good, but he's looking pretty damn good. Romo didn't really prove himself before getting the starting job, you often have to take a chance. Flynn would be a chance, I'm not naive enough to say he's definitely going to work out, but I think continuing with Romo is a chance too.

Whether or not you like Garrett as a head coach (I personally don't) he is the perfect guy for developing a young quarterback. If not Flynn, than somebody. Romo is going to be 32 next season, and by the time this team gets its shit together who knows how old he'll be.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Not that I wouldn't want to take a chance on him...just will not work out in Dallas...I'm as diehard fan as you'll find, but as long as Jones is the GM it will never work...this team has only 1 playoff win since 1995, he's the common denominator since then.

It's just sucks that he doesn't realize it. I don't have a problem with him as an owner/president but for the good of the franchise hire a football guy to build this franchise.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Spending money on the QB would not be in the team's best interest right now.....while Romo is probably more Danny White than Staubach or Aikman, he is closer to being part of the solution than part of the problem. The problem is trading for Roy Williams, spending first round picks on Felix Jones and Dez Bryant and hiring "Yes Men" as your head coach.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,683
    Jerry doesn't want to "clutter up" the organization by adding a GM :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    goodforyou19goodforyou19 Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin Posts: 74
    imalive wrote:
    Jerry doesn't want to "clutter up" the organization by adding a GM :roll:

Just proves what we already knew. He doesn't realize he is the problem. Thinks the system is fine. No, sorry Jerry it is not fine. You have only a handful of recent draft picks that are worth a crap (Tyron Smith, Murray, Lee, Ware). You did find success with undrafted free agents (Romo, Austin), but for the most part your personnel decisions are horrendous. Look, I hate the Packers with a passion, but they are doing it the right way. Have guys that know how to evaluate personnel and build your team through the draft. Jerry, your system IS broken and needs to be fixed. How many failures do you want to endure before you wake up to this fact? Your system sucks Jerry!!!
  • Options
    More BS:

Jerry Jones insists he’s the right G.M. for the Cowboys

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says he will remain Cowboys General Manager Jerry Jones, and no one is going to talk him out of that.

According to Jones, he has done a good job at the main roles of a G.M. — hiring a coach and acquiring talent — and therefore there’s no reason for him to quit doing that job.

“One of the first jobs of a G.M. is to have good coaching,” Jones said on 105.3 FM. “I think we’ve got good coaching. I know that they know it can be better, but every team can say that. I look at our coaching and I like it. I look at our personnel. We had a total of 71 players on the roster all year, 31 were new players. I look at the mix of players, the veteran, the young player, where we’re going to be with our core. I know we can do better, but I think there are some positives there.”

But doesn’t the Cowboys’ 8-8 record suggest that the coaching and the players aren’t good enough, and therefore the owner/general manager who put them in place isn’t good enough? Not according to Jones, who wants Cowboys fans to understand that he has access to all the information he needs to make the right calls.

“The way we’re structured and the way it is, our fans need to understand that I have the ability to go get anybody and any bit of information that there is, sports or football, and I do. I go get it. We get it from a lot of sources,” Jones said.

The bottom line is that the Cowboys belong to Jerry Jones, and he didn’t buy them to be a hands-off owner. As long as he owns the team, he’s calling the shots.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    tybird wrote:
    Spending money on the QB would not be in the team's best interest right now.....while Romo is probably more Danny White than Staubach or Aikman, he is closer to being part of the solution than part of the problem. The problem is trading for Roy Williams, spending first round picks on Felix Jones and Dez Bryant and hiring "Yes Men" as your head coach.

This.

A lot of people bag on Romo but really, he is the best player on this team. He is the one keeping this thing afloat. You have to go through about 10 things before you get to Romo. The secondary sucks, the linebackers are old and talentless (except Lee), the line gets no pressure and only has one good player, the offensive line is young, inexperienced and can't block, they had Sammy Morris at running back for God's sake, the GM who trades for and signs overpriced, under talented players, the boring and predictable play-calling, the boring and predictable defense that blitzes too often from the same exact location every time.

I know a couple of people don't like stats but he threw for almost 4200 yards this year. He had 31 TDs and 10 INTs and finished with a rating of 102.5. If anything, the Cowboys are wasting his prime years. And Ware's for that matter. I still say there are a lot of teams that would be glad to have those kind of number for their QB.

Romo is the very least of my worries about this crappy team. Did he have some mistakes? Sure. Who doesn't? But good teams overcome mistakes and this is not a good team at all. He makes a mistake and it kills them.

I am personally sick and tired of the defensive side of the ball. I guarantee they could take 9 guys off the street and replace Ball, Elam, Newman, Jenkins, James, Brooking, Spencer, Scandrick and Hatcher and do better. If you interchanged any of those guys with anyone else in the world would we even notice? Biggest bunch of non-playmakers ever.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    tybird wrote:

This.

A lot of people bag on Romo but really, he is the best player on this team. He is the one keeping this thing afloat. You have to go through about 10 things before you get to Romo. The secondary sucks, the linebackers are old and talentless (except Lee), the line gets no pressure and only has one good player, the offensive line is young, inexperienced and can't block, they had Sammy Morris at running back for God's sake, the GM who trades for and signs overpriced, under talented players, the boring and predictable play-calling, the boring and predictable defense that blitzes too often from the same exact location every time.

I know a couple of people don't like stats but he threw for almost 4200 yards this year. He had 31 TDs and 10 INTs and finished with a rating of 102.5. If anything, the Cowboys are wasting his prime years. And Ware's for that matter. I still say there are a lot of teams that would be glad to have those kind of number for their QB.

Romo is the very least of my worries about this crappy team. Did he have some mistakes? Sure. Who doesn't? But good teams overcome mistakes and this is not a good team at all. He makes a mistake and it kills them.

I am personally sick and tired of the defensive side of the ball. I guarantee they could take 9 guys off the street and replace Ball, Elam, Newman, Jenkins, James, Brooking, Spencer, Scandrick and Hatcher and do better. If you interchanged any of those guys with anyone else in the world would we even notice? Biggest bunch of non-playmakers ever.
    We got each other's back, Flagg....I almost added Marcus Spears to the draft debacles, but could not remember whether he was a first or second round pick.....and I was not knocking Danny White either....a very good QB in his time....three straight NFC championship games while not HOF worthy is still a good career...and he was the team's punter too.

The defensive side of the ball is the albatross around this team's neck....Romo was NOT out there letting Victor Cruz catch pass after pass.....he wasn't on the field when the Cardinals scored in OT....nor did he call the TO to ice his own kicker.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    crazypjfan wrote:
    More BS:

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says he will remain Cowboys General Manager Jerry Jones, and no one is going to talk him out of that.

According to Jones, he has done a good job at the main roles of a G.M. — hiring a coach and acquiring talent — and therefore there’s no reason for him to quit doing that job.

“One of the first jobs of a G.M. is to have good coaching,” Jones said on 105.3 FM. “I think we’ve got good coaching. I know that they know it can be better, but every team can say that. I look at our coaching and I like it. I look at our personnel. We had a total of 71 players on the roster all year, 31 were new players. I look at the mix of players, the veteran, the young player, where we’re going to be with our core. I know we can do better, but I think there are some positives there.”

But doesn’t the Cowboys’ 8-8 record suggest that the coaching and the players aren’t good enough, and therefore the owner/general manager who put them in place isn’t good enough? Not according to Jones, who wants Cowboys fans to understand that he has access to all the information he needs to make the right calls.

“The way we’re structured and the way it is, our fans need to understand that I have the ability to go get anybody and any bit of information that there is, sports or football, and I do. I go get it. We get it from a lot of sources,” Jones said.

The bottom line is that the Cowboys belong to Jerry Jones, and he didn’t buy them to be a hands-off owner. As long as he owns the team, he’s calling the shots.
    I guess his "inside information" does not include salary cap details.....since the team appears to be over the cap for next season.....could JJ at least hire a decent capologist?
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    tybird wrote:

This.

I don't get why when they lose it's Romo's fault...and you're right this team has far to many issues...as a matter of fact Romo does a great job considering he seems to have very little time to get rid of the ball.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    crazypjfan wrote:
    More BS:

I doubt he'll replace himself as GM...even if he goes bat shit crazy...when stuck with him till he goes to the home.

• Options
    Dave Campo is out. Hopefully, that's a start to cleaning up the atrocious secondary.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ave-campo/

In other news, Jerry Jones promises to look in the mirror and make some changes! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    crazypjfan wrote:
    Dave Campo is out. Hopefully, that's a start to cleaning up the atrocious secondary.

In other news, Jerry Jones promises to look in the mirror and make some changes! :lol::lol:

Yay!!

I would trade every player on this defense for LSU's or Alabama's right now. Just straight up swap. :lol:
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:

Yay!!

I would trade every player on this defense for LSU's or Alabama's right now. Just straight up swap. :lol:

I was thinking the same last night while watching that game. It's either A, these guys care more because they have something to play for or B, they ARE better than the Cowboys D. All T New cares about is eating turf these days :lol:
  • Options
    Tashard Choice made sure he got Vick's autograph a few years ago. Now, Dez Bryant is gushing over Tim Tebow. What the hell is wrong with these guys?
  • Options
    crazypjfan wrote:
    More plastic surgery for JJ? :twisted:
  • Options
    Must go:

T. Newman
    B. James
    K. Brooking
    A. Ball
    A. Spencer?

M. Bennett
    K. Kosier

Who else?
  • Options
    crazypjfan wrote:
    Must go:

T. Newman
    B. James
    K. Brooking
    A. Ball
    A. Spencer?

M. Bennett
    K. Kosier

Who else?

Phil Costa

Free if they don't switch him to right tackle and if he doesn't play better.

Elam

Jenkins

Bryant...much rather have Robinson...Bryant will become a distraction

and probably many more...but we are kidding ourselves if we think this team is very good...and this team faltered badly down the stretch when the Eagles and Giants played their best football.

I've said it before and I'll say it again
    THIS TEAM WILL NOT WIN WITH JERRY JONES AS GM.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

Free if they don't switch him to right tackle and if he doesn't play better.

I don't mind having T. Smith protecting Romo's blindside and movign Free over to the right side. And I agree with getting rid of Costa as well.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    crazypjfan wrote:
    Must go:

T. Newman
    B. James
    K. Brooking
    A. Ball
    A. Spencer?

M. Bennett
    K. Kosier

Who else?

Romo
    JJ as GM
    Fatty Ryan
    Jason Garrett
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    what more did romo have to do for you this year? underthrow a pass so that hammy mcaustin could catch it? he came back against the 49ers on the road (NFC runner up) with broken ribs...he brought the cowboys back to within 7 of the eventual SB champion with a broken hand and should have gotten the ball back with a chance to tie if our defense could have stopped a classic eli throw-it-up there ball...Gave us a lead against the Super Bowl runner-up only to watch our defense lose it.

Sure there were a couple bad games at the start of the year, but he hadn't played NFL football for almost a year at that point. In short I do criticize him when warranted but Romo was badass this season (completed something like 86 percent of his passes out of the pocket - that's absurd).
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:
    what more did romo have to do for you this year? underthrow a pass so that hammy mcaustin could catch it? he came back against the 49ers on the road (NFC runner up) with broken ribs...he brought the cowboys back to within 7 of the eventual SB champion with a broken hand and should have gotten the ball back with a chance to tie if our defense could have stopped a classic eli throw-it-up there ball...Gave us a lead against the Super Bowl runner-up only to watch our defense lose it.

Sure there were a couple bad games at the start of the year, but he hadn't played NFL football for almost a year at that point. In short I do criticize him when warranted but Romo was badass this season (completed something like 86 percent of his passes out of the pocket - that's absurd).

I'll go as far as saying that Romo outplayed your Super Bowl MVP during the regular season. Offensively, I think the offensive line is the suspect along with a 2nd TE.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    RW81233 wrote:

I've hated Romo from day one and wanted him gone after the playoff fg bobble in Seattle years ago. Hes a talented qb, but doesn't have the leadership qualities if you held a gun to his head.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    metsfan wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

I've hated Romo from day one and wanted him gone after the playoff fg bobble in Seattle years ago. Hes a talented qb, but doesn't have the leadership qualities if you held a gun to his head.
    there's a real fine line between Romo and say Eli...like if Romo doesn't let that ball slip he's got another playoff win at least, if Crayton doesn't drop a ball Eli doesn't have a Super Bowl win, if Samuel doesn't drop a pick Eli doesn't have a Super Bowl win, if Austin catches a ball the Cowboys are in the playoffs and Giants are out, if Welker catches a ball Eli doesn't win. The Cowboys can win with Romo, and there aren't a lot of QBs like that out there. He's def. not perfect, but neither is Eli - one has had a bit more luck at the right times than the other.
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:
    there's a real fine line between Romo and say Eli...like if Romo doesn't let that ball slip he's got another playoff win at least, if Crayton doesn't drop a ball Eli doesn't have a Super Bowl win, if Samuel doesn't drop a pick Eli doesn't have a Super Bowl win, if Austin catches a ball the Cowboys are in the playoffs and Giants are out, if Welker catches a ball Eli doesn't win. The Cowboys can win with Romo, and there aren't a lot of QBs like that out there. He's def. not perfect, but neither is Eli - one has had a bit more luck at the right times than the other.

This should be quoted again for those that think Eli is better than Peyton. Not even close!

I still believe that Romo will gow down as a better qb than Eli when it's all said and done.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,662
    crazypjfan wrote:

I still believe that Romo will gow down as a better qb than Eli when it's all said and done.

That's hilarious.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,662
    RW81233 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

If Eli doesn't make one of the most perfect passes ever when points where needed, Eli doesn't win. Fuck ifs.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:

That's hilarious.

Come see me in five years....Or a year or two when your city is hatin on Eli again when breaks don't go your way ;)

Eli puts together 1 great season and he is better than Brady or Peyton? That's hilarious. :lol: