Today, I almost

Comments

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    norm wrote:
    Lauri wrote:
    I only "rejected" people because they weren't taking the issue seriously. I mean that one person told me to organize my closet? Seriously, I'm supposed to think s/he was being sincere there? Right from the beginning people were bs'ing me. No one said, "I had the same problem and this is what I did" no one gave me real suggestions like organizations that do fun things. Ok I take that back, one or two people said volunteer, but when I said that wasn't what I was looking for, everyone got all huffy about it. I don't get it, all I said was I wasn't looking for volunteer work. Almost all of what people have said is just insulting, saying I feel this way because I'm selfish and trying to relive my 20s, and laughing and saying it's not really problem. Well, it is a problem for me, and I'm not saying it's the end of the world but I thought I could have a useful discussion about it, and I was wrong.

everyone is different...to some people, organizing their closet is fulfilling...if it isn't for you simply say thank for the advice and move on

you really have to understand that most people don't have this problem and in fact find it unbelievable that you can't find fulfillment in your down time...once you realize this, try to point us into ways we can help

if you mentioned it early on, i probably missed it, but i don't remember you asking for organizations that do fun things...however, that is a very broad subject...gives us some clues as to what you find fun (and if you have, once again sorry)

to quote jerry macguire "help us help you" :)

there it is!

i also think it's helpful to think of things in the past, when you DID have fun.
    what were you doing?
    who were you with?
    how can you replicate such experiences?
    then.....try and do it!
    you may or may not have success, but it's way better than just worrying about it and being unhappy. at least i would think so. and, maybe...just try something completely random. i think it's even easier in bigger cities, there's always corkboards in coffee houses filled with stuff, usually free newspapers with plenty of activities listed, many free....and that's just to start. once you get going, who knows?
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I think you might need some kind of near-death experience to get you appreciating life again. We should go hiking sometime... Trust me, there are scarier things out there than weekends...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I think you might need some kind of near-death experience to get you appreciating life again. We should go hiking sometime... Trust me, there are scarier things out there than weekends...

mountain goats for one
    norm wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

mountain goats for one

On week days, they are almost tolerable, but Friday afternoon rolls around and they get off work... oh man.

norm wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

mountain goats for one

Oh, and I was recently almost torn limb from limb by a river otter. It floated into the eddy next to the bank I was sitting on and proceeded to swim around acting all cute, no doubt trying to lure one of us into the water. Good thing I'm an expert on wildlife.

eyedclaar wrote:
    norm wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

mountain goats for one

Oh, and I was recently almost torn limb from limb by a river otter. It floated into the eddy next to the bank I was sitting on and proceeded to swim around acting all cute, no doubt trying to lure one of us into the water. Good thing I'm an expert on wildlife.

i remember seeing a river otter in one of those 'faces of death' videos...stay far away from those
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    there it is!

i also think it's helpful to think of things in the past, when you DID have fun.
    what were you doing?
    who were you with?
    how can you replicate such experiences?
    then.....try and do it!
    you may or may not have success, but it's way better than just worrying about it and being unhappy. at least i would think so. and, maybe...just try something completely random. i think it's even easier in bigger cities, there's always corkboards in coffee houses filled with stuff, usually free newspapers with plenty of activities listed, many free....and that's just to start. once you get going, who knows?

Well live shows are usually fun, but not really an option during the day. Can't always find someone good playing or have the money either, so that's not really an every week option.

trips to new places are fun. they are more fun if friends are there or there is something to take pictures of. I'd really like to take a trip, but that's truly impossible, I have two weddings later in the year.

I used to have fun just hanging out with my friends- like going for a bike ride and then coming back and grilling or drinking or something.

I have fun hanging out at bars because I like to be in the "action" but I never last long if I'm by myself.

I used to like going to the beach a lot, but I don't know if I like that anymore, I haven't gone in years- I can never get my act together early enough to get parking. it's also weather-dependent, so I can't try that for another few months.

I like going to the movies, but only when I really want to see something.

I like parties of different types if I know a lot of people. In the past few years I've tried to host a few, but then I realize: I don't know enough people to have a party!

Bike riding is fun, but it can also be really stressful. The past few months I have been working hard to try to de-stress it. I can't ride alone, so I need to find a good organized group.

I would like to have something outside to do on saturday or sunday mornings that also involves fitness if possible.

I used to really like hiking, but I don't know it hasn't appealed to me as much anymore. And I never have fun when I go with those organized hiking groups of mostly old people...I guess with hiking it often comes down to the company. I guess in general I don't have as much fun doing things with organized groups, but unless you want to sit around all day, there aren't a lot of other options.

It's hard sitting here trying to think of when I've had fun in the past because it's mostly with friends and stuff. haha I'm actually kind of crying thinking about it because I really miss everyone. I have had fun on my own a lot, but all that stuff is what I'm getting bored with: walking around, having lunch/dinner/coffee/ice cream, going to the movies. I wouldn't really call a lot of that "fun" anyway, more just...pleasant. When I think of fun I think of laughing mostly. I can't really think of anything else...

I don't really know how to replicate any of those things now that I think about it that way.
    norm wrote:
    Lauri wrote:
    I only "rejected" people because they weren't taking the issue seriously. I mean that one person told me to organize my closet? Seriously, I'm supposed to think s/he was being sincere there? Right from the beginning people were bs'ing me. No one said, "I had the same problem and this is what I did" no one gave me real suggestions like organizations that do fun things. Ok I take that back, one or two people said volunteer, but when I said that wasn't what I was looking for, everyone got all huffy about it. I don't get it, all I said was I wasn't looking for volunteer work. Almost all of what people have said is just insulting, saying I feel this way because I'm selfish and trying to relive my 20s, and laughing and saying it's not really problem. Well, it is a problem for me, and I'm not saying it's the end of the world but I thought I could have a useful discussion about it, and I was wrong.

everyone is different...to some people, organizing their closet is fulfilling...if it isn't for you simply say thank for the advice and move on

you really have to understand that most people don't have this problem and in fact find it unbelievable that you can't find fulfillment in your down time...once you realize this, try to point us into ways we can help

if you mentioned it early on, i probably missed it, but i don't remember you asking for organizations that do fun things...however, that is a very broad subject...gives us some clues as to what you find fun (and if you have, once again sorry)

to quote jerry macguire "help us help you" :)

I do find it hard to believe that no one else has this problem. No one else goes home on Friday night and wonders how they're going to spend the next two days??? I mean sure you could find chores to do I guess, but sometimes my house is already clean! I usually have to do some laundry or something, but I just do it Sunday night, it doesn't take very long. It seems like it would be common amongst anyone who doesn't have money to go away for the weekend.

I don't really know what I meant by organizations...I know other people who belong to...stuff...I guess. My friend in another city joined a very casual triathlon club, which I think would be good, but I can't find a casual one around here, only sponsored teams, and I'm really not on that level. My parents think I should play tennis, and I looked into it over the winter but 1) it's more expensive than I have and 2) I don't want to play an indoor sport in the summer (and yes I know you can play tennis outside, but all the organized lessons and clubs I've been able to find have been indoors...not saying they don't exist outdoors, I just haven't been able to locate one just by doing a web search).
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    You have really strict standards for what qualifies as "fun". If you aren't laughing like a maniac 24/7 then it's no good? Pleasant moments are good....hell that's all life is anyway. A string of moments really.

You've decided to be miserable. If you can't get your act together to plan shit or get over needing a group of people to provide a carnival of hilarity for you, guess what? It's not gonna get any better.

There are worse problems in the world than being tormented by having free time.

And no, I've NEVER known anybody with this problem. Then again I don't know people who have an excuse for everything?
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Lauri, my post was very sincere. I was not belittling you, I sincerely feel by helping others you can find happiness and appreciate your own life more. The things you are doing for others are not fulfilling you, those that you mentioned, being there for family, lending or giving money to friends, helping kids find job placement. If they were working for you, you wouldn't feel this emptiness. You are calling it boredom and want to fill it with fun but really your heart needs to connect with something or someone passionately.
    All I want to say is the quickest way to happiness is to do something nice for someone, happiness brings contentment and a sense of peace to your life.
    Sit down make a list of the people you love, put an idea or two of down of something you could do for them, then do it on the weekends. Then expand it if need be to a local shelter, children's hospital, church, nursing home. As the weekends pass you will have a feeling of satisfaction and maybe even look forward to what the next will bring, maybe you will meet a new circle of friends or someone special to add to your life.
    I truly hope you find what you need because I really do care.
    You have really strict standards for what qualifies as "fun". If you aren't laughing like a maniac 24/7 then it's no good? Pleasant moments are good....hell that's all life is anyway. A string of moments really.

You've decided to be miserable. If you can't get your act together to plan shit or get over needing a group of people to provide a carnival of hilarity for you, guess what? It's not gonna get any better.

There are worse problems in the world than being tormented by having free time.

And no, I've NEVER known anybody with this problem. Then again I don't know people who have an excuse for everything?

None of this is true at all!!!! I have been bummed for several months about being bored on weekends, but this was the first weekend it really, really just got to me. I have NOT, but any stretch of the imagination "decided to be miserable." Far, far from it. And you really stretched and exaggerated my words way out of proportion. I didn't say I needed "a carnival of hilarity" I just meant that when I look at times I was having fun I think of laughing a lot. That's all. I tried to be honest in what I wrote. This is really very frustrating because here I lay out and once again, the response is hostile. I can't think of anyway that what I said could be construed in such a negative way as how you interpreted it here! The other person said I should think about what I had fun doing in the past, so that's what I did. There's no "deciding to miserable" or "strict definitions" or "excuses."
    Lauri wrote:
    None of this is true at all!!!! I have been bummed for several months about being bored on weekends, but this was the first weekend it really, really just got to me. I have NOT, but any stretch of the imagination "decided to be miserable." Far, far from it. And you really stretched and exaggerated my words way out of proportion. I didn't say I needed "a carnival of hilarity" I just meant that when I look at times I was having fun I think of laughing a lot. That's all. I tried to be honest in what I wrote. This is really very frustrating because here I lay out and once again, the response is hostile. I can't think of anyway that what I said could be construed in such a negative way as how you interpreted it here! The other person said I should think about what I had fun doing in the past, so that's what I did. There's no "deciding to miserable" or "strict definitions" or "excuses."
    You were making excuses left and right in all the previous pages, every time someone tried to suggest something. Hell, even things that related to what *you* found interesting. Like I asked you about photography, and then you went on about how you can't find anything cool to take pics of. It's like well damn woman if we're all trying to give help and you keep throwing it back every time, what is one left with? Excuses.

Not being hostile at all mind you, just laying it out there. If you don't like what you're getting, then give out something a little more cooperative. If you refuse to listen to anybody, then you are in essence deciding to be miserable.

Like I said, I really wish you luck, nobody should just exist in life, you should really live it.
    pandora wrote:
    Lauri, my post was very sincere. I was not belittling you, I sincerely feel by helping others you can find happiness and appreciate your own life more. The things you are doing for others are not fulfilling you, those that you mentioned, being there for family, lending or giving money to friends, helping kids find job placement. If they were working for you, you wouldn't feel this emptiness. You are calling it boredom and want to fill it with fun but really your heart needs to connect with something or someone passionately.
    All I want to say is the quickest way to happiness is to do something nice for someone, happiness brings contentment and a sense of peace to your life.
    Sit down make a list of the people you love, put an idea or two of down of something you could do for them, then do it on the weekends. Then expand it if need be to a local shelter, children's hospital, church, nursing home. As the weekends pass you will have a feeling of satisfaction and maybe even look forward to what the next will bring, maybe you will meet a new circle of friends or someone special to add to your life.
    I truly hope you find what you need because I really do care.

Well thank you for being nice, I really do appreciate it given this atmosphere.
    I just really don't think I can volunteer like that, I mean I really just don't. Please be clear I am not "shooting it down" or anything like that. I have thought about these types of things for years. I just don't think I can be around sick people dying kids or abandoned animals (well actually the last one I really can't unless I want hives, but make no mistake I do like animals). I know everyone says it is great but I think it would just upset me too much. When I'm around my elderly grandmother, it just makes me more upset by reminding me that I'm wasting my life while I'm young and healthy. I mean I really really really don't mean to reject the idea, and I'm not completely, I'd never reject that sort of thing completely, but I just know myself and I don't think I could do it. Even my family members have commented in the past that I couldn't pull off something like that. I am very compassionate on the inside but I have trouble communicating it on the outside. Plus it just seems hard to stomach the idea of committing to work 6 or 7 days a week. And I know that sounds very selfish and other people do it all the time, it just scares me. I spent most of my 20s having a commitment to be in work 7 days a week,it just scares me to get myself into that again. And I want to be outside! Like really outside! Not in a hospital...I have to be inside 5 days a week...I'm sure I deserve to be called a bad person for this, but I can't help it, it's how I feel.
    Like I asked you about photography, and then you went on about how you can't find anything cool to take pics of.

well it's true. I don't have any good ideas. what could I have said here differently?
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    norm wrote:

I like organizing my closet :oops: Sorting things by color and season! Trying on all those shoes and finding matching accessories...I'm starting to get excited!

Is that weird??? :?
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    norm wrote:

I like organizing my closet :oops: Sorting things by color and season! Trying on all those shoes and finding matching accessories...I'm starting to get excited!

yes, but endearing ;) :P

and if you love it so much, can you come to my place and organize my crap? organizing drives me to drink :oops: :P
    Lauri wrote:
    Like I asked you about photography, and then you went on about how you can't find anything cool to take pics of.

well it's true. I don't have any good ideas. what could I have said here differently?
    My sister is a photographer and she manages to find awesome pic opportunities no matter where she is, even in places that aren't immediately obvious as being a good place for photos.

I think it's a matter of perspective. Seeing possibilities instead of roadblocks, you know? And that goes beyond photography when you think about it :)
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

yes, but endearing ;) :P

and if you love it so much, can you come to my place and organize my crap? organizing drives me to drink :oops: :P
    Only if you have shoes and bags that need to be organized ;)

See - so easily amused. No reason to be bored. Tonight I'm going to organize my cutlery! :mrgreen: WOOHOO!
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    12 pages and not one good suggestions, damn all you for trying to help.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,976
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    she mentioned she's in the northeast...........maybe she could join Red Sox Nation! :shock:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Lauri wrote:

My sister is a photographer and she manages to find awesome pic opportunities no matter where she is, even in places that aren't immediately obvious as being a good place for photos.

I think it's a matter of perspective. Seeing possibilities instead of roadblocks, you know? And that goes beyond photography when you think about it :)

well then your sister is good at it, I am not. I just don't like to bother taking a photo unless it's really interesting, it's just the way I do it. And I am the first person to admit, I am not very creative, I'm just ok at getting the lighting and colors to look ok. But again, you didn't say what I "should have" answered that would have pleased you. If I can't think of things to shoot, I'm just telling the truth. If you don't like that answer that's fine but if I could think of something to shoot, I would be out shooting it, wouldn't it?
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,711
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    she mentioned she's in the northeast...........maybe she could join Red Sox Nation! :shock:
    Or have some BBQ at Redbones then head to The Joshua Tree B&G for some good Irish pub atmosphere.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Seems to me you should just keep creating posts... Looks like this has kept you plenty busy.
    Seems to me you should just keep creating posts... Looks like this has kept you plenty busy.

well yeah I like mindless typing. it's not something I want to spend my time doing, but as a habit it's very satisfying to me. I'm just really needing the distraction.
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I would even be happy to buy her the required pink hat.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,976
    edited April 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hope you didn't waste that in the wrong thread. :lol:
    Post edited by Wobbie on
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 'Open the fridge, now I know life is worth'

It's probably just 'cause I'm super hungry, but this thread reminds me of when I want something to eat and I have a house full of perfectly edible food, but nothing sounds good.

I think a lot of people on here have posted worthwhile suggestions. Maybe they'll sound good at another time.

Here's mine: It's Spring, what about joining a softball team or some other sports organization? I think there's a recreational league for just about anything out there, except sprinting. I've checked. Nothing for sprinters. If anybody hears of anything for sprinters, please send me the link. I don't even care if it's nowhere near me, I just want to know about its existence.

Lauri, you've mentioned budget restraints a few times. What's your fun budget? It might help narrow down some suggestions. Also, I understand if you want to remain as anonymous as possible, but telling us your metro area could be helpful as well.
    I carried a watermelon
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

I hope you didn't waste that in the wrong thread. :lol:

Haha, I think I did. Shit.
    Lauri wrote:

well then your sister is good at it, I am not. I just don't like to bother taking a photo unless it's really interesting, it's just the way I do it. And I am the first person to admit, I am not very creative, I'm just ok at getting the lighting and colors to look ok. But again, you didn't say what I "should have" answered that would have pleased you. If I can't think of things to shoot, I'm just telling the truth. If you don't like that answer that's fine but if I could think of something to shoot, I would be out shooting it, wouldn't it?
    I'm not gonna say what you should answer....it doesn't matter anyway, you'd dismiss it up and down and sideways anyway.

Hope you find your way before your whole life passes ya by....take it easy.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Lauri, I suggested TWENTY-SIX things. You had excuses for why you wouldn't want to do even one of these things.

Only one of them was to re-arrange your closet by color. And, some people would find that fun. (Comebackgirl and me!) Not you. You prefer to tell everyone why you can't do anything. And, in my defense, most of the things on my list are more interesting than re-arranging a closet!!

I am never going to give you the benefit of the doubt again. I wash my hands of this "Lauri" user name as well as all the other newer user names you will show up under in the future. And, we all know you WILL have more because in the past you have had quite a few.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&