Today, I almost

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    chadwick wrote:
    i have add/adhd and i am never really bored.
    but then again i write a lot and stuff.
    i do get lost in my writing.
    but like the OP i find it difficult to read much more than 3 pages at a time before i am going insane.
    sure my head is fucked.
    oh well.

yes, i hear you. everyone is different, and different things will help one and not another...and even symptoms can be different. i've had a few students with ADHD and i know some adults with the issue as well. there are really good ways of working with it to make life better, and sure......avoid boredom. :D i do imagine it would be quite difficult to feel fully engaged and enjoy activities if you are feeling like you can't fully focus on the task, even if it's something you want to do. frustrating and boring, not a fun combo at all.

thinking or daydreaming about 413 different things all at once while you're to be reading about sherlock holmes is a real bitch.
    generally, not general lee... :mrgreen:

generally i have to reread a lot of material before it sinks in.
    school is atrocious; english class and shit like that.

oddly enough having adhd/add has given me the ability to write decent poetry.
    that i truly believe.

i once told my favorite english professor that i am in a different hemisphere than he is.
    his mouth dropped, he was speechless.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    imalive wrote:
    Lauri wrote:

I think that's a load of holier-than-thou insulting bull crap.
    even tho pandora let me flounder when I was getting killed for my "backspacer will never equal...." thread :lol::lol: , I can tell you she is about as far from "holier-than-thou" as you could get.
    oh no did I let you down? I hope not, not Gracie's Daddy! She might not forgive me!
    Seriously thank you for your kind words, feelings are mutual :D and you can count on me always
    but you know I really love Backspacer! Really really.
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    Boredom is an emotional state experienced during periods lacking activity or when individuals are uninterested in the opportunities surrounding them. The first record of the word boredom is in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens, written in 1852,[1] in which it appears six times, although the expression to be a bore had been used in the sense of "to be tiresome or dull" since 1768.[2]

Boredom has been defined by C. D. Fisher in terms of its central psychological processes: “an unpleasant, transient affective state in which the individual feels a pervasive lack of interest in and difficulty concentrating on the current activity.”[4] M. R. Leary and others describe boredom as “an affective experience associated with cognitive attentional processes.”[5] In positive psychology, anxiety is described as a response to a moderate challenge for which the subject has more than enough skill.[3] These definitions make it clear that boredom arises not from a lack of things to do but from the inability to latch onto any specific activity.

http://www.bing.com/reference/semhtml/B ... &q=boredom

i see mention of ADHD a few times in this thread. perhaps that needs to be addressed in a more constructive manner and then the real issues within this boredom might get corrected?

overall, i follow more along the lines of eyed's 'boring people are bored'......b/c i don't think it's too difficult NOT to be bored. sometimes just *being*......is completely enjoyable to me, not boring. however, perhaps this medical condition is getting in the way and thus the issue of boredom? i have actually read this whole thread, and it does appear that the main issue is NOT being able to focus or plan on any one thing to do, whether individually or with others.

there is all sorts of help for ADHD, behavioral and pharmaceutical, so i hope you can find something that will work for you.

I do take Adderall during the work week so I can focus. Some days it works better than others. Planning for the weekend is more on the long-term organization side of things, which I have problems with. Like many people (but not others) with ADHD I have developed very effective short-term organizational skills to get me through life, and especially on Adderall, I can tend to hyperfocus on details. And that focus crowds out longer-term or less necessary planning. So the boredom on the weekend has something to do with me not being able to get my act together in advance. It also has something to do with have so many things I could be doing, I can't focus on one. I think that's part of why not having friends close by that I can spontaneously hang out with is a contributor to the boredom. It's much easier for me to decide at 5pm that I want to go out to dinner at 7 than to organize a group of people 2 weeks in advance to have dinner on Saturday night. This is all also why I have never really been able to pass time with less active/indoor hobbies than many other people. I used to be able to read a lot more than I can now. I've got a lot of stuff in my house like a guitar and tons of jewelry making tools and books that I can't sit still and use, I'm more apt to turn on the TV and passively sit in front of it, which also contributes to boredom, and hyperactivity makes it hard to stay indoors and stuff, especially after a whole week of forcing myself to sit in the office against every fiber of my being. So I do think it plays a role, but I think that is all exacerbated by really just not having much to do.
    thinking or daydreaming about 413 different things all at once while you're to be reading about sherlock holmes is a real bitch.
    generally, not general lee... :mrgreen:

generally i have to reread a lot of material before it sinks in.
    school is atrocious; english class and shit like that.

oddly enough having adhd/add has given me the ability to write decent poetry.
    that i truly believe.

i once told my favorite english professor that i am in a different hemisphere than he is.
    his mouth dropped, he was speechless.

It is interesting, people with ADD usually do really well or really horribly in a school atmosphere. Myself, I do MUCH better in a school atmosphere than anywhere else, many because it's much less structured and because the work is usually very interesting and has a level of personal involvement. Don't ever take Adderall if you're a poet though! I read it can really sap your creativity, and I do buy that. I've become somewhat of a zombie on it, but it's either that or not holding down a job so...
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    How many different names have you had on this board?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Lauri wrote:
    Boredom is an emotional state experienced during periods lacking activity or when individuals are uninterested in the opportunities surrounding them. The first record of the word boredom is in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens, written in 1852,[1] in which it appears six times, although the expression to be a bore had been used in the sense of "to be tiresome or dull" since 1768.[2]

Boredom has been defined by C. D. Fisher in terms of its central psychological processes: “an unpleasant, transient affective state in which the individual feels a pervasive lack of interest in and difficulty concentrating on the current activity.”[4] M. R. Leary and others describe boredom as “an affective experience associated with cognitive attentional processes.”[5] In positive psychology, anxiety is described as a response to a moderate challenge for which the subject has more than enough skill.[3] These definitions make it clear that boredom arises not from a lack of things to do but from the inability to latch onto any specific activity.

http://www.bing.com/reference/semhtml/B ... &q=boredom

i see mention of ADHD a few times in this thread. perhaps that needs to be addressed in a more constructive manner and then the real issues within this boredom might get corrected?

overall, i follow more along the lines of eyed's 'boring people are bored'......b/c i don't think it's too difficult NOT to be bored. sometimes just *being*......is completely enjoyable to me, not boring. however, perhaps this medical condition is getting in the way and thus the issue of boredom? i have actually read this whole thread, and it does appear that the main issue is NOT being able to focus or plan on any one thing to do, whether individually or with others.

there is all sorts of help for ADHD, behavioral and pharmaceutical, so i hope you can find something that will work for you.

I do take Adderall during the work week so I can focus. Some days it works better than others. Planning for the weekend is more on the long-term organization side of things, which I have problems with. Like many people (but not others) with ADHD I have developed very effective short-term organizational skills to get me through life, and especially on Adderall, I can tend to hyperfocus on details. And that focus crowds out longer-term or less necessary planning. So the boredom on the weekend has something to do with me not being able to get my act together in advance. It also has something to do with have so many things I could be doing, I can't focus on one. I think that's part of why not having friends close by that I can spontaneously hang out with is a contributor to the boredom. It's much easier for me to decide at 5pm that I want to go out to dinner at 7 than to organize a group of people 2 weeks in advance to have dinner on Saturday night. This is all also why I have never really been able to pass time with less active/indoor hobbies than many other people. I used to be able to read a lot more than I can now. I've got a lot of stuff in my house like a guitar and tons of jewelry making tools and books that I can't sit still and use, I'm more apt to turn on the TV and passively sit in front of it, which also contributes to boredom, and hyperactivity makes it hard to stay indoors and stuff, especially after a whole week of forcing myself to sit in the office against every fiber of my being. So I do think it plays a role, but I think that is all exacerbated by really just not having much to do.

it becomes a circular discussion after a certain period of time tho, no?
    i mean, i do understand - i think - what you are saying.....but it's at the chicken/egg point, which comes first? is it because you can't organize yourself? then work on that. is it because there is not much to do? then work on that. maybe it's a bit of both? well then, work on both. there ARE solutions to your problem, you just have to see them, and work towards them. no matter what *it* is, most of the time, one can find a solution, or some sort of compromise...they just have to be willing to SEE it, and WORK for it. and i know it's no help, but trying to figure out what to do with your free time, well...it's a nice problem to have. i don't *do* much on my weekends either, but i like it that way. and sure, i do have a built-in companion.....plus my dogs....plus my garden....lots of interests/hobbies, all of which i can do on my own or with others. i also don't expect too much on any given weekend. i enjoy it for it's restorative time, and i look forward to other more exciting weekends to come. however, i don't like to have a lot of plans or be too busy, i like my time to myself. so it works for me. idk the solution to your problem, simply b/c i don't know how your mind works on it all, or how to truly balance your interests, etc.

good luck!
    life is too short to not enjoy your own time. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Yesterday I was bored....

So I went out and bought 150 peat pellets, and 20 different varieties of perennial seeds and vegetables....I spent a couple hours carefully planting those silly seeds, and labeling them all. Hopefully in 6-8 weeks I will be transferring those silly plants/flowers/vegetables into my new garden. Then I will spend my entire summer making my backyard pretty.

Seeds were $1.00 a packet, peat pellets were just as cheap.

So there ya go, an inexpensive little hobby that can keep you busy all summer.

I live in an apartment, I don't have a yard.
    I do have a porch, so I plant flowers. They just don't require too much work after they're planted.
    good luck!
    life is too short to not enjoy your own time. :)

I know, that's really why I panic so much about this! I can't stand sitting in the house barely existing when I know there is so much I am supposed to be doing! But then when I really think about all those things 1) it's overwhelming and 2) I think "is it really that great?"

I know there must be solutions, but I can't think of them myself. The things other people do often don't interest me, but I don't think that makes me a boring person. For example, two of my colleagues were just talking about the weekend. One of them had spent it making cheese at home. I am not joking. I would never, ever, in a million years 1) think to make cheese for something to do or 2) enjoy it if I did. But he was all excited about it. I usually just feel like I want to be doing things that are much bigger than I could ever organize for myself. It's like someone said about bike riding- no, you don't have to organize anything to take your bike and ride around the neighborhood, but I don't want to do that, i want to take out my fancy bike and go at least 50 miles, otherwise I don't see a lot of point to it. I can keep myself busy a lot walking around the neighborhood and stuff, but at some point it just gets old and I need something more exciting.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,711
    know1 wrote:
    Are you suggesting green tea and some city mice as cures for boredom?
    This weekend we rock Portland
    edited April 2010
    know1 wrote:

None, I've had the same name since 2003. I couldn't think of a screenname at the time so I just used my regular name. I just usually post in spurts, I go through phases of different web sites, phases where I'm really needing to type and others when I'm not as much.
    Post edited by Lauri on
    Poncier wrote:
    know1 wrote:
    Are you suggesting green tea and some city mice as cures for boredom?

Hmmm....that's a thought... ;)

Seems like there could be other components as well...

Lauri wrote:
    know1 wrote:

None, I've had the same name since 2003. I just usually post in spurts, I go through phases of different web sites, phases where I'm really needing to type and others when I'm not as much.

Then maybe you should become a lesbian because you definitely have some soulmates out there. They are all apparently Pearl Jam fans too!

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,976
    Lauri wrote:
    I just usually post in spurts

sorry, my mind's in the gutter :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    today, i almost crapped in my pants.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    chadwick wrote:
    today, i almost crapped in my pants.

Were u riding a bike when u felt it ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    know1 wrote:
    Lauri wrote:
    know1 wrote:

None, I've had the same name since 2003. I just usually post in spurts, I go through phases of different web sites, phases where I'm really needing to type and others when I'm not as much.

Then maybe you should become a lesbian because you definitely have some soulmates out there. They are all apparently Pearl Jam fans too!

OMG.....know1 has a sense of humor, who knew? ;)
    :lol:

well done.
    i am seriously laughing....

in all seriousness tho, i have to say...i really don't get it. "panic" over weekend plans or lack thereof? know there's so much you're "supposed" to be doing? idk, methinks just a wee bit too much thought/worry is in play here. it's the weekend, it's free time....just roll with it. i just don't see how it is so truly difficult to enjoy your free time, figure out things you enjoy and then......errrrr, yea....just do them. i honestly, have never realized it is such a horrible conundrum to cause panic and worry. i get it - want to do things with people, get out of the house, be busy and have fun.....sooooo.....figure out ways to do such things. also realize, most people aren't out doing things/having a crazy-ass time EVERY weekend.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    And what about the old shoe car operator? :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    I already can't wait for the weekend and Monday isn't even over yet :)
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    also realize, most people aren't out doing things/having a crazy-ass time EVERY weekend.

Speak for yourself, d2d. Why this weekend... (wait for it)... I MOWED MY LAWN!!!

Of course, I have my wife blindfold me and spin me in circles before I get started. I'm sort of at odds with my neighbors now...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    eyedclaar wrote:
    also realize, most people aren't out doing things/having a crazy-ass time EVERY weekend.

Speak for yourself, d2d. Why this weekend... (wait for it)... I MOWED MY LAWN!!!
    Oh sure, brag to everybody why don't you *green with jealousy*

Being blindfolded is a way of making damn near everything fun! Except driving maybe
    eyedclaar wrote:

Of course, I have my wife blindfold me and spin me in circles before I get started. I'm sort of at odds with my neighbors now...

i have you beat.
    i watered all my garden, trimmed the privet and mr. dream and i went to target AND stop & shop! :shock:
    talk about a crazy-ass time!

i also sat out in said garden all day saturday, pile of magazines and a bottle of red by my side. it was a *perfect* day in my mind.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

eyedclaar wrote:

i have you beat.
    i watered all my garden, trimmed the privet and mr. dream and i went to target AND stop & shop! :shock:
    talk about a crazy-ass time!

i also sat out in said garden all day saturday, pile of magazines and a bottle of red by my side. it was a *perfect* day in my mind.

You guys are fucking rock stars *tear*
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I went to a baby shower for my niece and had to dress a baby doll BLINDFOLDED!!!!!

but we did not have to pre-address our thank you notes! ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Me too!

I think the trick is to knock yourself out all week long so that any second of unscheduled time is relished instead of dreaded. Works for me! Can't really remember the last time I was bored. :? I adore my alone time...especially time to do absolutely nothing but RELAX. All too rare.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    Lizard wrote:
    I went to a baby shower for my niece and had to dress a baby doll BLINDFOLDED!!!!!

but we did not have to pre-address our thank you notes! ;)

OMG.......

tears are filling my eyes and i have to honestly stifle my laughter!
    :mrgreen:

(btw - i meant to update that thread. i DID get a hand-addressed thank you card, so evidently, she did manage ;))
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Me too!

I think the trick is to knock yourself out all week long so that any second of unscheduled time is relished instead of dreaded. Works for me! Can't really remember the last time I was bored. :? I adore my alone time...especially time to do absolutely nothing but RELAX. All too rare.
    Amen sister! Whether I'm alone or with folks, I just don't get bored. Even mundane stuff like just relaxing at home and just being is wonderful. Maybe I'm just easy to entertain or something haha
    eyedclaar wrote:

Here is what I did this weekend:

3 loads of laundry
    Swept all the bare floors
    Scrubbed kitchen and 2 bathrooms
    Dusted the house
    Ran the dishwasher
    Took care of the cats
    Babysat a neighbor's 3 dogs
    Went to church
    Grocery shopped
    Went to the gym

Oh..and I did attend the local university's spring football practice scrimmage...by myself.

I think I was in bed each night by 10PM.

I hope this doesn't come off as bragging ;)

• comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Me too!

Amen sister! Whether I'm alone or with folks, I just don't get bored. Even mundane stuff like just relaxing at home and just being is wonderful. Maybe I'm just easy to entertain or something haha
    Doesn't take much to keep me amused :oops:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    know1 wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

Here is what I did this weekend:

3 loads of laundry
    Swept all the bare floors
    Scrubbed kitchen and 2 bathrooms
    Dusted the house
    Ran the dishwasher
    Took care of the cats
    Babysat a neighbor's 3 dogs
    Went to church
    Grocery shopped
    Went to the gym

Oh..and I did attend the local university's spring football practice scrimmage...by myself.

I think I was in bed each night by 10PM.

I hope this doesn't come off as bragging ;)

:mrgreen:
    you are a wild man know1....wish i knew this earlier. ;)

and it's not bragging - sharing your joy is always a good thing. :mrgreen:

btw - men who clean, most especially who scrub kitchens and bathrooms, are VERY sexy. but that's another topic... :oops:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I cut my toenails Saturday night
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Doesn't take much to keep me amused :oops:
    Me either. Saves money I figure for folks like us :D haha