Today, I almost

Comments

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    It seems to me humans and their lives in decades are similar, this will be a generalization which of course will have exceptions and is based on my life experience
    0-10 we are little sponges learning basics by mimicking those in our lives, often much of this lies in our subconscious, forming our adult habits good or bad.
    10-20 we realize there is an imperfect world out there with imperfect people and we are one of them, and we are disillusioned but remain hopeful. We would like to change the world.
    20-30 the most self centered period we take care of ourselves. Its a "me" time if we are lucky enough to have it. Some who have children early miss this time. School, career choices, dating, money earned is spent on ourselves. This is a very nice time indeed.
    30-40 Life plans take hold. Careers, family, loving bonds. If you continue to have a "me" decade you are bound to be unfulfilled and bored. Thats what I am hearing from you. You have responsibilities that include you, you alone.
    Reaching out to others, feeling needed, being there for someone is necessary for personal growth.
    40-50 hayday time! financially set, if you've had children you are experiencing some freedom from responsibility there, health /body still doing good, career good hopefully, enjoying lifetime hobbies. Adult fun time!
    50-70 it starts going downhill ;) but you are glad to be alive when you start seeing others your age leaving this world. I heard a cute quote yesterday on my soap. They have introduced a woman in this age group who is terminally ill. She has 12 weeks to live. She said, "oh and a death sentence suddenly makes me a flippin oracle!" I thought that was a good one. In this age group you do have the wisdom of your years, your mistakes and your love to share. I think if you could find a wise old person to add to your life and listen you might find more happiness. I must tell you time flies by. Gee 20 years ago I fell in love with a wonderful band, it seems like yesterday. "No time to be bored" like the wonderful man wrote, there is no time to be bored, turn around and its gone.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Someone once said, the only bored people are boring people. At the risk of sounding like an ass, I think there is a whole lotta truth therein. It isn't the world's responsibility to keep us entertained. Like Smokey once said, "Only you can prevent forest fires." That dumb bear says that no matter what the discussion... oddly enough, he's still usually right.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    edited April 2010
    Jo wrote:
    MOVE OUT OF YOUR PARENTS HOUSE? ( this is an assumption )

No joke, I would love to have your spare time.
    I can't remember the last time I was BORED!

I'm talking about WEEKENDS. I'm full out busy through the week. I work my ass off. And I'd really like to know why you think I live with my parents. plus I'm talking about having FUN not about doing chores.
    eyedclear wrote:
    Someone once said, the only bored people are boring people. At the risk of sounding like an ass, I think there is a whole lotta truth therein. It isn't the world's responsibility to keep us entertained. Like Smokey once said, "Only you can prevent forest fires." That dumb bear says that no matter what the discussion... oddly enough, he's still usually right.

I don't think that's true at all. I think the major reason I have such a problem with being bored is that I'm very UNboring. I am interested in so much, I can't actually do any one thing, because my mind is too scattered. I also don't have time to plan my weekends all week. I mean I wake up on saturday and I'm just like crap, it's saturday, what the hell do I do? I know I have to run or work out, so I can't make plans for the whole day...so I go work out and then it's too late to do anything big. I mean I just can't organize weekends, I don't know what to do with myself and I hate it. It's driving me crazy. The only thing I can think of to do is bike ride, so if I can't bike ride, I'm sitting in my house for 48 hours. I DON'T like to do things in doors, I have no interest in spending a beautiful day trapsing around a museum by myself. I always want to be outside and/or with other people. At night I want to be at the bar (not because I want to drink a lot, but because that's where all the other people are).
    Post edited by Lauri on
    edited April 2010
    pandora wrote:
    It seems to me humans and their lives in decades are similar, this will be a generalization which of course will have exceptions and is based on my life experience
    0-10 we are little sponges learning basics by mimicking those in our lives, often much of this lies in our subconscious, forming our adult habits good or bad.
    10-20 we realize there is an imperfect world out there with imperfect people and we are one of them, and we are disillusioned but remain hopeful. We would like to change the world.
    20-30 the most self centered period we take care of ourselves. Its a "me" time if we are lucky enough to have it. Some who have children early miss this time. School, career choices, dating, money earned is spent on ourselves. This is a very nice time indeed.
    30-40 Life plans take hold. Careers, family, loving bonds. If you continue to have a "me" decade you are bound to be unfulfilled and bored. Thats what I am hearing from you. You have responsibilities that include you, you alone.
    Reaching out to others, feeling needed, being there for someone is necessary for personal growth.
    40-50 hayday time! financially set, if you've had children you are experiencing some freedom from responsibility there, health /body still doing good, career good hopefully, enjoying lifetime hobbies. Adult fun time!
    50-70 it starts going downhill ;) but you are glad to be alive when you start seeing others your age leaving this world. I heard a cute quote yesterday on my soap. They have introduced a woman in this age group who is terminally ill. She has 12 weeks to live. She said, "oh and a death sentence suddenly makes me a flippin oracle!" I thought that was a good one. In this age group you do have the wisdom of your years, your mistakes and your love to share. I think if you could find a wise old person to add to your life and listen you might find more happiness. I must tell you time flies by. Gee 20 years ago I fell in love with a wonderful band, it seems like yesterday. "No time to be bored" like the wonderful man wrote, there is no time to be bored, turn around and its gone.

I think that's a load of holier-than-thou insulting bull crap. I've never had a "me" decade. In my 20s, all I f'ing did was work, just to live. I had a little fun, sure, but not as much as most people. I think it is really insulting to insinuate that I am living a self-centered life just because I don't have kids or whatever. As I explained to you, my entire career is dedicated to working for others. And I am ALWAYS there for my family. Don't give me this bull that the only family that counts is your own kids. You don't know what my family life is like. And my friends may be scattered but I'd do f'ing anything for them. I volunteer as an alumnus of my college, I help kids get jobs. I spend all of my savings on my friends' weddings- I can't even take a vacation for myself. There's is nothing "me" about my life. In fact, that's the reason I'm so freaking bored, I'm trying to put a little "me" into my life before die. This is "irresponsible" to you? I don't f'ing care. I think it is a bunch of crap to say that a person's 30s are "supposed" to be all about family responsibilities. I'm supposed to stop wanting to have a little fun for myself for ONCE in my life because I'm over 30? I just can't believe the level of crap you are spewing and the blanket assumptions you are making about other people's lives.
    Post edited by Lauri on
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Lauri wrote:
    Jo wrote:
    MOVE OUT OF YOUR PARENTS HOUSE? ( this is an assumption )

No joke, I would love to have your spare time.
    I can't remember the last time I was BORED!

I'm talking about WEEKENDS. I'm full out busy through the week. I work my ass off. And I'd really like to know why you think I live with my parents. plus I'm talking about having FUN not about doing chores.
    eyedclear wrote:

I don't think that's true at all. I think the major reason I have such a problem with being bored is that I'm very UNboring. I am interested in so much, I can't actually do any one thing, because my mind is too scattered. I also don't have time to plan my weekends all week. I mean I wake up on saturday and I'm just like crap, it's saturday, what the hell do I do? I know I have to run or work out, so I can't make plans for the whole day...so I go work out and then it's too late to do anything big. I mean I just can't organize weekends, I don't know what to do with myself and I hate it. It's driving me crazy. The only thing I can think of to do is bike ride, so if I can't bike ride, I'm sitting in my house for 48 hours. I DON'T like to do things in doors, I have no interest in spending a beautiful day trapsing around a museum by myself. I always want to be outside and/or with other people. At night I want to be at the bar.

Ride your bike out to my condo complex and hang out outside with a couple of board members and thier friends and family while we BBQ, listen to music and have drinks...

Ride your bike out to my condo complex and hang out outside with a couple of board members and thier friends and family while we BBQ, listen to music and have drinks...

I'd love to wish I could.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Stop trying to organize everything.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Lauri wrote:

I'd love to wish I could.

I agree with Dissidentman, Join us...we have a fun relaxed time...
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    Danimal wrote:
    Stop trying to organize everything.

But I think I have to START trying to organize everything. On Fridays, everyone else has "plans" for the weekend. I get to Friday night and I'm like SHIT the whole week has gone by, and I haven't made any "plans." To go for a bike ride, you have to be organized ahead of time, schedule with the group, make sure equipment is in order, get your maps together, etc. This is the part I hate about biking but it has to be done. I never have this done before Saturday morning. If I do think of something to do, it's usually too late in the day to actually do it. I try to spend any slack off time at work looking for activities to do on the weekend, but usually fall short on getting the whole thing together. What I'm doing now is NOT being organized, and then I'm left being the only person without plans.
    Lauri wrote:
    pandora wrote:

I think that's a load of holier-than-thou insulting bull crap. I've never had a "me" decade. In my 20s, all I f'ing did was work, just to live. I had a little fun, sure, but not as much as most people. I think it is really insulting to insinuate that I am living a self-centered life just because I don't have kids or whatever. As I explained to you, my entire career is dedicated to working for others. And I am ALWAYS there for my family. Don't give me this bull that the only family that counts is your own kids. You don't know what my family life is like. And my friends may be scattered but I'd do f'ing anything for them. I volunteer as an alumnus of my college, I help kids get jobs. I spend all of my savings on my friends' weddings- I can't even take a vacation for myself. There's is nothing "me" about my life. I think it is a bunch of crap to say that a person's 30s are "supposed" to be all about family responsibilities. I'm supposed to stop wanting to have a little fun for myself for ONCE in my life because I'm over 30? I just can't believe the level of crap you are spewing and the blanket assumptions you are making about other people's lives.

Please read with an open mind. I mentioned that I was generalizing based on my life situations, and you attack. I do get the "me" in your replies and it is my belief if in your 30's if you do not seek out something to fulfill yourself, you can not be happy and grow.
    You seem to be so hooked on the children thing, other thread too, my post does not say you need to have children to be a giving, fulfilled, loving person. You can learn from helping others though.
    Why do you think you are so unfulfilled and bored? Maybe we should be asking you.
    If none of this will help you, pages of people with genuine caring thoughts, attempting to help, perhaps you can search your own soul and find the answers.
    Lauri wrote:
    To go for a bike ride, you have to be organized ahead of time, schedule with the group, make sure equipment is in order, get your maps together, etc. This is the part I hate about biking but it has to be done.

That's weird, usually when I want to bike, I just get on my bike and ride. Guess I've been doing it wrong.

In all seriousness though, "Fat bottom girls you make the rockin' world go round!'

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,474
    I tried to read this entire thread.....

But after 2-3 posts....

I found it boring...........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

But after 2-3 posts....

:lol:
    its hard to be bored with a good sense of humor around
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408

But after 2-3 posts....

:mrgreen:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Lauri wrote:
    ML181059 wrote:
    start smoking weed... but stay away from coke

hahahaha I can't imagine me on coke. that would be disasterous.

I don't think too many 32 year old professional women sit around their apartments smoking weed on the weekends. Besides, weed costs money.

i find this a bit out of control.
    i know many professional ppl who smoke greenery.
    if you're such a professional why are you worried about the cost of weed?

i haven't read the entire thread but i am very confused.

why do you need to be in a club or with a group to hike or bike ride?
    why do you need maps to bike ride?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    pandora wrote:

But after 2-3 posts....

its hard to be bored with a good sense of humor around
    Seriously...

People are bored??
    People find their life at a standstill???
    People feel like their life is going nowhere????

Then DO SOMETHING about it...right???

It is that simple....
    Lauri wrote:
    justam wrote:
    Read.
    As I explained, reading is not a good option when you have classic ADHD. I try to read every weekend. I even go to the coffee shop just to read. I usually average about 3 pages before I can't take it anymore and get up to do something else.
    justam wrote:
    Draw.
    I've never drawn. I don't know how and I don't have an artistic bone in my body. And I can't sit still long enough to learn
    justam wrote:
    Listen to music.
    I'm listening to music now, it doesn't make me not bored.
    justam wrote:
    Grow some plants.
    My porch is covered with plants I planted a few weeks ago. It takes about 10 minutes to water them, not a cure for boredom.
    justam wrote:
    Call people you like.
    I don't know phone people. we email. and yes, I spend most of my free time emailing people, on facebook, etc.
    justam wrote:
    Go for a walk!
    As I explained, that's what I do, I walk around my neighborhood. it gets boring.
    justam wrote:
    Sit under a tree and write something.
    how can I write anything? I'm bored out of my gourd. I therefore have nothing to write about.
    justam wrote:
    Take a nap.
    when I'm not walking around my neighborhood and writing emails, I'm taking naps. I take so many naps on the weekend I can't fall asleep at night. I don't think that sleeping to make the time pass is a really healthy activity.
    justam wrote:
    Get a cook book out and learn to make something new.
    I hate cooking. I have no interest in food whatsoever.
    justam wrote:
    Research and learn about something that interests you.
    This is all I do, every single day, not just on the weekends. Every night I come home from work, sit on the couch and read shit online. I can tell you so much useless crap about so many different topics, it's not even funny. People can TELL I'm bored because all I talk about is all this crap I pass my time looking up.
    justam wrote:
    Re-arrange your furniture.
    did that last weekend
    justam wrote:
    Clean your entire house.
    Did that the past two weekends and I didn't even really need to.
    justam wrote:
    Organize your desk!
    I don't have one!
    justam wrote:
    Plan a vacation.
    trust me I would LOVE to do this one, but I can't go on vacation anytime in the foreseeable future. I actually don't think I will ever be able to go on vacation again in my entire life. It sounds like an exaggeration, but I don't have a cent to my name, and given my career and expenses, I don't think I ever will.
    justam wrote:
    Go to a movie.
    eh I do when there is something I want to see. But as I said, with ADHD, I really have to have something I'm really interested in.
    justam wrote:
    Play an instrument.
    I can't. I just can't. please don't make me cry. I can't sit still long enough to play an instrument. this is bringing back very horrible memories of trying to play guitar when I was a kid.
    justam wrote:
    Take a yoga class.
    I despise yoga. So unbelievably boring. and spending time in the yoga studio of the gym is no different than being in the rest of the gym.
    justam wrote:
    Dye your hair a new color.
    I'm 'spose to do that every weekend?
    justam wrote:
    Re-arrange your closet by color.
    I don't have enough in my closet to organize, I cleaned it out during my massive purge trying to kill time the past two weekends.
    justam wrote:
    Sew something new.
    I don't have the foggiest idea how to sew, I don't have a sewing machine, and it's the last thing I want to do on my weekends.
    justam wrote:
    Repair something old.
    Re-pot your plants.
    I don't have anything that needs repairing or repotting!
    justam wrote:
    Go to the library and check out some new books.
    See above, reading is not the answer
    justam wrote:
    Go for a bike ride.
    Well here we go, this is what I would LIKE to do. Biking is what I do. But I am having so many issues finding an appropriate cycling club. And I am having so many stupid equipment issues I want to pull my hair out. I'm so frustrated in terms of biking this spring it's not even funny. I can't go biking by myself because I don't know any routes of my own. Every time I try, I go ten miles and hit a highway, I'm just not good at navigation. But I NEEEEEEEEEED to go biking, I just can't find the right club.
    justam wrote:
    Go for a hike.
    I don't hike alone, and I've given up on hiking clubs after 8 years of shitty hiking clubs.
    justam wrote:
    Find a boyfriend to sleep with.
    trust me I'd do that all day if I could.

Look, all of this is just stuff to pass the time. Reading a book and rearranging your sock drawer is what you do when DON'T have plans. These things aren't fun, they're stuff you do when you're bored. I want to get OUT and meet people and go places and kick my ass physically. I can't clean my closet every weekend, I'm tired of listening to myself think! I want to get OUT!

this is unbelievable
    i am right now kicking my own self square in the balls.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Weed expands the mind and heart. It makes time go faster, things funnier, people you are with magically smarter. It makes everything you see more beautiful, music so much more meaningful. You don't often hear of people being bored while high, usually the opposite, contentment sets in. If you want or need to find your spirit it will help with that also. Might be just what the doctor orders :)
    Yesterday I was bored....

So I went out and bought 150 peat pellets, and 20 different varieties of perennial seeds and vegetables....I spent a couple hours carefully planting those silly seeds, and labeling them all. Hopefully in 6-8 weeks I will be transferring those silly plants/flowers/vegetables into my new garden. Then I will spend my entire summer making my backyard pretty.

Seeds were $1.00 a packet, peat pellets were just as cheap.

So there ya go, an inexpensive little hobby that can keep you busy all summer.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,711
    Sure her vagina probably echoes but hey, it's extra cash :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Yesterday I was bored....

So I went out and bought 150 peat pellets, and 20 different varieties of perennial seeds and vegetables....I spent a couple hours carefully planting those silly seeds, and labeling them all. Hopefully in 6-8 weeks I will be transferring those silly plants/flowers/vegetables into my new garden. Then I will spend my entire summer making my backyard pretty.

Seeds were $1.00 a packet, peat pellets were just as cheap.

So there ya go, an inexpensive little hobby that can keep you busy all summer.
    hopefully when you did all this planting in your little corner of the world, hopefully you planted some "easy goes does it"

no garden is a garden unless said garden grows weeds :mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

But after 2-3 posts....

I don't give a rats ass if you found it boring.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Boredom is an emotional state experienced during periods lacking activity or when individuals are uninterested in the opportunities surrounding them. The first record of the word boredom is in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens, written in 1852,[1] in which it appears six times, although the expression to be a bore had been used in the sense of "to be tiresome or dull" since 1768.[2]

Boredom has been defined by C. D. Fisher in terms of its central psychological processes: “an unpleasant, transient affective state in which the individual feels a pervasive lack of interest in and difficulty concentrating on the current activity.”[4] M. R. Leary and others describe boredom as “an affective experience associated with cognitive attentional processes.”[5] In positive psychology, anxiety is described as a response to a moderate challenge for which the subject has more than enough skill.[3] These definitions make it clear that boredom arises not from a lack of things to do but from the inability to latch onto any specific activity.

http://www.bing.com/reference/semhtml/B ... &q=boredom

i see mention of ADHD a few times in this thread. perhaps that needs to be addressed in a more constructive manner and then the real issues within this boredom might get corrected?

overall, i follow more along the lines of eyed's 'boring people are bored'......b/c i don't think it's too difficult NOT to be bored. sometimes just *being*......is completely enjoyable to me, not boring. however, perhaps this medical condition is getting in the way and thus the issue of boredom? i have actually read this whole thread, and it does appear that the main issue is NOT being able to focus or plan on any one thing to do, whether individually or with others.

there is all sorts of help for ADHD, behavioral and pharmaceutical, so i hope you can find something that will work for you.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Boredom is an emotional state experienced during periods lacking activity or when individuals are uninterested in the opportunities surrounding them. The first record of the word boredom is in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens, written in 1852,[1] in which it appears six times, although the expression to be a bore had been used in the sense of "to be tiresome or dull" since 1768.[2]

Boredom has been defined by C. D. Fisher in terms of its central psychological processes: “an unpleasant, transient affective state in which the individual feels a pervasive lack of interest in and difficulty concentrating on the current activity.”[4] M. R. Leary and others describe boredom as “an affective experience associated with cognitive attentional processes.”[5] In positive psychology, anxiety is described as a response to a moderate challenge for which the subject has more than enough skill.[3] These definitions make it clear that boredom arises not from a lack of things to do but from the inability to latch onto any specific activity.

i see mention of ADHD a few times in this thread. perhaps that needs to be addressed in a more constructive manner and then the real issues within this boredom might get corrected?

overall, i follow more along the lines of eyed's 'boring people are bored'......b/c i don't think it's too difficult NOT to be bored. sometimes just *being*......is completely enjoyable to me, not boring. however, perhaps this medical condition is getting in the way and thus the issue of boredom? i have actually read this whole thread, and it does appear that the main issue is NOT being able to focus or plan on any one thing to do, whether individually or with others.

there is all sorts of help for ADHD, behavioral and pharmaceutical, so i hope you can find something that will work for you.

I don't care how bored I get, I ain't reading all this...
    edited April 2010

i have add/adhd and i am never really bored.
    but then again i write a lot and stuff.
    i do get lost in my writing.
    but like the OP i find it difficult to read much more than 3 pages at a time before i am going insane.
    sure my head is fucked.
    oh well.
    and and and...
    i smoke a lot of weed. :mrgreen:
    it helps me survive.
    in fact, i am similar to bob marley
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    edited April 2010

I don't care how bored I get, I ain't reading all this...

boredom for you!

chadwick wrote:
    i have add/adhd and i am never really bored.
    but then again i write a lot and stuff.
    i do get lost in my writing.
    but like the OP i find it difficult to read much more than 3 pages at a time before i am going insane.
    sure my head is fucked.
    oh well.

yes, i hear you. everyone is different, and different things will help one and not another...and even symptoms can be different. i've had a few students with ADHD and i know some adults with the issue as well. there are really good ways of working with it to make life better, and sure......avoid boredom. :D i do imagine it would be quite difficult to feel fully engaged and enjoy activities if you are feeling like you can't fully focus on the task, even if it's something you want to do. frustrating and boring, not a fun combo at all.
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,976
    Lauri wrote:

I think that's a load of holier-than-thou insulting bull crap.
    even tho pandora let me flounder when I was getting killed for my "backspacer will never equal...." thread :lol::lol: , I can tell you she is about as far from "holier-than-thou" as you could get.
    chadwick wrote:

this is unbelievable
    could a person with ADHD have put together the post you were referring to? Just asking.... :wtf:

Good luck, Lauri (really).
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

this is unbelievable
    could a person with ADHD have put together the post you were referring to? Just asking.... :wtf:

i have know idea, i am very lost & confused as to where the fuck i am

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    chadwick wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

this is unbelievable

i have know idea, i am very lost & confused as to where the fuck i am

You're right there Chad ;)
    imalive wrote:

No shit, I would have made it about 30 seconds into that cut and paste job before I was like, "WTF am I doing?" Surely, I can find an easier way to be bored than that.