Today, I almost

LauriLauri Posts: 748
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
went to the office just because I had nothing else to do. I swear weekends are becoming so boring for me I just don't know what to do with myself. I went running yesterday (Saturday) and then was just like "now what?" I go and walk around my neighborhood, get lunch and dinner and coffee and ice cream when I'm not even hungry, and that's it. Last night I went and hung out at the pub, had two drinks, got bored sitting there, and left. It's getting to be a real problem. I sleep until noon on weekends because I know the only thing I have waiting for me is a trip to the gym, and then a lot of times I skip that because I get antsy knowing I'm wasting a weekend afternoon in the gym. I can't keep doing this for the rest of my life! I honestly went into Starbucks today and was jealous of the students in there working. When I was student, I was never bored- it's impossible to be bored, there's ALWAYS work to do. But I can't afford to go to grad school forever! I don't have any friends in town, every date I go on is a dud, there's nothing bad happening, but the boredom is making me lose my mind! I just hate sitting around more than anything in the world, and it's all I do! I just don't get it, what do other people do when they're not working?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,617
    hang in there kid...
    www.myspace.com
  • release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    sorry your having trouble finding what you are looking for,,, make a sign that says free hugs on side :D an free beer 2morrow on the other side :mrgreen: ,,, go stand in a crowded area you will make lost of new friends ,,, maybe you should dateing diff types,, memeber cant totally judge a book by its cover,, an also you try just going a show even if you never herd the band or music act before,,, what is your fav thing to do
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I'm working remotely from home today because I have a 10am deadline. Fucking stupid
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    maybe you should dateing diff types,, memeber cant totally judge a book by its cover,, an also you try just going a show even if you never herd the band or music act before,,, what is your fav thing to do

I don't have a "type" I date...I don't know what to expect from the guys I meet online, but none of them do anything for me. I do go to shows sometimes, but it gets too expensive. Plus I'm really looking for stuff to do during the day. I don't have favorite thing to do at all. I have a few things I like to do sometimes, but no favorites.
    I'm working remotely from home today because I have a 10am deadline. Fucking stupid

I'm sorry to hear that. I worked almost every weekend through my early-mid 20s because I had a fancy job, then went to grad school in my late 20s, so I don't really how to not work on weekends.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Lauri wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. I worked almost every weekend through my early-mid 20s because I had a fancy job, then went to grad school in my late 20s, so I don't really how to not work on weekends.

it's the first Sunday I've had to do over a year and the first week that I've had To work over 40 hours in a long time. My job is demanding this time of year but I do love it.
    BabaBooey1979 you said you work remotely , i always work remote but the cool about its remote so i can petty much work where ever i just need a net connection,

but lauri i guess thats true wit online dateing, you ever try long boarding its fun :D
    BabaBooey1979 you said you work remotely , i always work remote but the cool about its remote so i can petty much work where ever i just need a net connection,

but lauri i guess thats true wit online dateing, you ever try long boarding its fun :D

long boarding? like surfing? I live in new england. there's not much surfing. years ago I heard you can surf here so I went online and tried to get advice about how to start surfing in this area. I went to a bunch of sites and forums, and everyone who responded told me to go f*ck myself because no one wants noobs out surfing...which doesn't make sense because there has to be noobs at some point.
    na i was refering in the the skate board, its longer than the reg one mainly just for crusin, but get this my mates an i grew up close to an island where we would ditch class an just go surfin,, but the one thing we never understood is why most of the people claim to be all this in one with nature an that they kind etc but are truely assholes,,, we were like fuck it we will show how but repsect the local on getting the good wave first,, but if shit happens ithappens,,,, but all those fools trying to pick a fight over a wave was pointless,,,, i live in austin tx ,, so which shows you going to this tour
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Lauri wrote:
    went to the office just because I had nothing else to do. I swear weekends are becoming so boring for me I just don't know what to do with myself. I went running yesterday (Saturday) and then was just like "now what?" I go and walk around my neighborhood, get lunch and dinner and coffee and ice cream when I'm not even hungry, and that's it. Last night I went and hung out at the pub, had two drinks, got bored sitting there, and left. It's getting to be a real problem. I sleep until noon on weekends because I know the only thing I have waiting for me is a trip to the gym, and then a lot of times I skip that because I get antsy knowing I'm wasting a weekend afternoon in the gym. I can't keep doing this for the rest of my life! I honestly went into Starbucks today and was jealous of the students in there working. When I was student, I was never bored- it's impossible to be bored, there's ALWAYS work to do. But I can't afford to go to grad school forever! I don't have any friends in town, every date I go on is a dud, there's nothing bad happening, but the boredom is making me lose my mind! I just hate sitting around more than anything in the world, and it's all I do! I just don't get it, what do other people do when they're not working?
    Maybe try volunteering, working with pets, the elderly, terminally ill kids. When you do something for someone else it fills your heart and brings contentment. Also it helps you to appreciate just how blessed you are.
  • start smoking weed... but stay away from coke
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    ML181059 wrote:
    start smoking weed... but stay away from coke

i was gona suggest the same thing, pot really does make things better, even sitting around.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    pandora wrote:
    Lauri wrote:
    Maybe try volunteering, working with pets, the elderly, terminally ill kids. When you do something for someone else it fills your heart and brings contentment. Also it helps you to appreciate just how blessed you are.

alternatively you could set fire to kennels?

;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I can relate...most of my weekends are spent at the gym, watching movies, reading, shopping...not much else
    For the most part I don't get so bored I can't stand it but it's worse during the winter because I hate the cold...maybe you'll feel better with summer coming...hang in there!
  • AnarionKingAnarionKing Posts: 170
    Get hooked on World of Warcraft, then you'll always have something to do ^^
    pandora wrote:

I'm not a good enough person to volunteer working with people, I couldn't handle it. Say what you will but some people are cut out for that sort work- and my hat is off to them- and some people aren't. I do environmental-type volunteerism occasionally, but honestly, working 7 days a week is not what I'm looking for. I'm trying to have some smidgen of fun of life, not spend 5 days a week trying to keep down the price and environmental impact of electricity and then another day or two crying over people and animals in tragic situations. Call me a horrible person but at least I am honest with myself. I also think my whole career is really "doing something for someone else"- my job benefits everyone, and I don't get any personal gain at all- every dime I make goes to pay back the student loans I took out to do the work in the first place.
    peacegirl wrote:
    I can relate...most of my weekends are spent at the gym, watching movies, reading, shopping...not much else
    For the most part I don't get so bored I can't stand it but it's worse during the winter because I hate the cold...maybe you'll feel better with summer coming...hang in there!

Yeah winter is really bad (and I like the cold, I just never have a way of enjoying it) but I think it's gotten worse since the weather has gotten nicer! Summer is bad because I feel like I should be doing something, and that everyone else in the world is having magical summer days on picnic blankets somewhere or out climbing mt. everest or traveling the far reaches of the earth. I know that's not true, but that's what it feels like. You are lucky that you can at least watch movies, read, and shop to keep a little busy. I have ADHD and reading does not work for me- I keep trying and getting through 2 or 3 pages at a time. I also have to REALLY be interested in a movie to watch it. And I just don't like doing things in the house- I feel like I'm missing life. Like if a tree falls in woods and no one is there to hear it, does it exist? If I stay in my house all weekend and my office all week...do I even exist? I don't go shopping, I don't have any money!
    "Lauri"
    I'm trying to have some smidgen of fun of life
    Its all in how you look at it I guess. It is fun to be there for others. You may learn something from them and more about who you are.
    edited April 2010
    pandora wrote:
    "Lauri"
    Its all in how you look at it I guess. It is fun to be there for others. You may learn something from them and more about who you are.

well I don't even know if other people would want me to be there for them. I am really just not good at working with other people at all. I purposely went into a career where I really don't have to deal with people- every time I have to call a client and interact on the phone, I get super nervous. I am just not good at personal interaction, and I never have a clue what to say to people who are having a problem. I never knew it until a couple years ago, but I am really not a very likable person! Wait!! Not that I'm mean or anything, I'm just not charming, and I think people think I'm thinking something differently than I am- I'm not easy to read. I read once that people really don't like people who are more difficult to outwardly understand. that's why people with blue eyes are often favored- you can see when their pupils are dilated, which says a lot about what they are thinking.
    Post edited by Lauri on
    KO282453 wrote:
    ML181059 wrote:

i was gona suggest the same thing, pot really does make things better, even sitting around.

lol :mrgreen:
    ML181059 wrote:

hahahaha I can't imagine me on coke. that would be disasterous.

I don't think too many 32 year old professional women sit around their apartments smoking weed on the weekends. Besides, weed costs money.
    Lauri wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    "Lauri"

well I don't even know if other people would want me to be there for them. I am really just not good at working with other people at all. I purposely went into a career where I really don't have to deal with people- every time I have to call a client and interact on the phone, I get super nervous. I am just not good at personal interaction, and I never have a clue what to say to people who are having a problem. I never knew it until a couple years ago, but I am really not a very likable person!
    It takes just one person to change that, then when this one person likes you, you are likable.
    I also have that problem with the phone, actually afraid of it. I think I say stupid stuff and regret what I say.
    My Mama was the same. I don't do phones either.
    But sometimes though just being there for someone is all they need. A smile or just a body who cares. The caring you give will start to come easy and it will make you feel needed. We all need to be needed. Then this need will feed you and you will see you are the nice person the people around you see.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    pandora wrote:
    Lauri wrote:

I second this idea. By the way I am fostering two cats (one is a little kitten) now and I need a cat sitter for our St. Louis/Kansas City/ MSG Pearl Jam trips. :D
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    pandora wrote:
    Lauri wrote:

I second this idea. By the way I am fostering two cats (one is a little kitten) now and I need a cat sitter for our St. Louis/Kansas City/ MSG Pearl Jam trips. :D
    see you in KC! are you as excited as me!!! next week this time I'll be partying! It will be Pearl Jam eve :D
  • For some fulfillment, how about adopting a child?

For anxiety around people, try taking an acting class or voice class.

For money, you can sell blood, collect recyclables, or buy + sell on eBay.

Is there something you want more than anything else in the world? No matter how impossible it seems, strive for that one goal. I did this. Everyone can.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • You can try meetin.org if they have a group near your city. If you're on the east coast then they probably do.

When I moved to Colorado I didn't know a single person for 1200 miles. I just started searching for groups online. I found meetin.org (which was much, much smaller back then) and a couple good meetup.com groups. I don't go to groups anymore, but a lot of my friends are people who I originally met that way.

And if there isn't already a meetup for your interests, you can always start one :)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    well there is a solution that would solve the lack of money, sex and the boredom

:think:
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Lauri wrote:

Read.
    Draw.
    Listen to music.
    Grow some plants.
    Call people you like.
    Go for a walk!
    Sit under a tree and write something.
    Take a nap.
    Get a cook book out and learn to make something new.
    Research and learn about something that interests you.
    Re-arrange your furniture.
    Clean your entire house.
    Organize your desk!
    Plan a vacation.
    Go to a movie.
    Play an instrument.
    Take a yoga class.
    Dye your hair a new color.
    Re-arrange your closet by color.
    Sew something new.
    Repair something old.
    Re-pot your plants.
    Go to the library and check out some new books.
    Go for a bike ride.
    Go for a hike.
    Find a boyfriend to sleep with.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    Lauri wrote:

I'm single and live alone as well. I do what I want on the weekends. I'm rarely bored. I have two dogs that keep me busy. Keep my house neat, do laundry, go out with friends. I ride horses so I have lessons on Saturdays. Summer time comes and I'll work at horse shows for my instructor occasionally. My company's busy season is the fall so I work some crazy hours in September. Sometimes I don't feel like socializing with anyone and I'll be a hermit, ignore the world. Dating? eh...I don't date. I have a couple men in my life but no relationship. ;)
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    Whizbang wrote:
    Lauri wrote:

I'm single and live alone as well. I do what I want on the weekends. I'm rarely bored. I have two dogs that keep me busy. Keep my house neat, do laundry, go out with friends. I ride horses so I have lessons on Saturdays. Summer time comes and I'll work at horse shows for my instructor occasionally. My company's busy season is the fall so I work some crazy hours in September. Sometimes I don't feel like socializing with anyone and I'll be a hermit, ignore the world. Dating? eh...I don't date. I have a couple men in my life but no relationship. ;)

oh yeah....I'm forced to mow my lawn, which I hate, but no one else is going to do it.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    pandora wrote:
    see you in KC! are you as excited as me!!! next week this time I'll be partying! It will be Pearl Jam eve :D

Yes, I am so excited. The week will fly by as preparing for vacation is very hectic for me. I'm self- employed so I have to take care of all of my office stuff, then arrange care for our own menagerie of strays we have taken in, as well as the two strays. And then it will be PARTY TIME! Starting with Sunday night.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi