**THE 2010 NHL STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS THREAD**

Comments

• CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The NHL would be far more exciting if they had 6 fewer teams. Unfortunately they expanded to much.
    :clap::clap::clap::clap:
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • I was born here, I live here, and I will die here.. I don't tolerate them, I am a life long fan. That team has brought our city and hockey fans everywhere a lot of joy.. You see a ton of Red Wings jerseys in almost every other city we play in. They are winners. Period. Just because you have special needs when you watch hockey, it doesn't change those facts. And if you lived here, you just might get where I am coming from. I love watching them play, I hang on every moment, its almost like your kid is out there skating. So it makes it plenty exciting.

good post :thumbup:
    milarso wrote:
    When I want emotion I'll watch The Notebook...

:lol:
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    smarchee wrote:
    songburst is just pissed that Detroit has no goons and has turned away from that style of game post-lock out and he is bitter that more teams are emulating Detroit than Minnesota

he thinks Minnesota games with goons like that 6-4 260 pound thug and some other goon hanger on fighting is exciting, even when minnesota scores 2 or less most of the time

Even you must admit the those days with Probert and Kocur were fun to watch.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    Songburst wrote:
    "When you talk, I feel like I don't have enough bread crumbs to get home" Lewis Black
    I now understand why you can tolerate watching Wings hockey.
    I was born here, I live here, and I will die here.. I don't tolerate them, I am a life long fan. That team has brought our city and hockey fans everywhere a lot of joy.. You see a ton of Red Wings jerseys in almost every other city we play in. They are winners. Period. Just because you have special needs when you watch hockey, it doesn't change those facts. And if you lived here, you just might get where I am coming from. I love watching them play, I hang on every moment, its almost like your kid is out there skating. So it makes it plenty exciting.

Excellent you should root for your home team. I do think they play emotionless hockey, but they do win and go deep in the playoffs which helps pay the bills. I'm just old school I like old time hockey :D:D:D .
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,697
    lukin2006 wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    songburst is just pissed that Detroit has no goons and has turned away from that style of game post-lock out and he is bitter that more teams are emulating Detroit than Minnesota

he thinks Minnesota games with goons like that 6-4 260 pound thug and some other goon hanger on fighting is exciting, even when minnesota scores 2 or less most of the time

AWWW, Those were the days. I still believe that a good old fight will lift your team also..especially in the playoffs. No need to fight for the sake of fighting. But to help rally the troops and get the fans energized...especially at home...nothing better than a donnybrook. I use to love those Leaf vs Wings playoff games before they switched the conferences around. I also think if they dropped the instigator rule...that would get rid of all those scrums after the whistle in the playoffs...because all those players that get involved in the scrum that wouldn't normally during the yr because they don't want to get there asses kicked....wouldn't get involved..

GO PENGUINS GO
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The NHL would be far more exciting if they had 6 fewer teams. Unfortunately they expanded to much.
    :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I totally agree and add one or two more in Canada.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    lukin2006 wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

i had the best " bruise brothers" hockey fight tape , but someone never returned it
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Decent game last night. Besides the 1 min 19 seconds when San Jose scored 3 goals, I thought is was a well matched game. I'm glad the Wings didn't fold and showed resolve. San Jose was playing some very good blue line defense. Sort of like watching a carbon copy of the Wings. I have a feeling this will go to seven games.

As a general note, the penalties are out of control in this year's playoffs. Colin Campbell has really pulled a Munson.
    Get rid of the instigator rule would rid the NHL of cheap shots and head shots for fear of someone kicking ass. One thing I've always wondered is if you reversed Mario and Gretzky, where Mario had Semenko and McSorley patrolling the wings, Mario might have been the one breking Howes records, players took a lot of liberties with Mario and people were careful with Gretzky for fear an ass whipping.

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Just to be a little different, i am not going to complain about the refs but what the hell is the NHL doing with putting a hockey game at noon on a Saturday. Both Boston and Philly are good hockey markets.

I may just be mad because i have a golf game tomorrow booked for 8 am and i don't want to miss the game. Go Flyers Go
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    fife wrote:
    Just to be a little different, i am not going to complain about the refs but what the hell is the NHL doing with putting a hockey game at noon on a Saturday. Both Boston and Philly are good hockey markets.

I may just be mad because i have a golf game tomorrow booked for 8 am and i don't want to miss the game. Go Flyers Go

fuckin' NBC has the Kentucky Derby that afternoon...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • fife wrote:

they pull that shit every year with the kentucky derby. i remember one year the derby was delayed because of rain and instead of cutting to a game, they just showed the rain falling at the track and reporters saying to the camera "yeah, it's raining here...doesn't look like it's going to stop any time soon."
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    fife wrote:

Sarah Jessica Parker is my odds-on favorite to win...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    milarso wrote:
    fife wrote:

Sarah Jessica Parker is my odds-on favorite to win...

:lol::lol:
    fife wrote:

I don't want Americans to get upset but what the hell is the interest with race car driving and horse racing? I think in Canada, even if there was a election for Prime minister and there was a hockey game on, the CBC would still show the game. I am not even talking about a playoff game.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,697
    I don't want Americans to get upset but what the hell is the interest with race car driving and horse racing? I think in Canada, even if there was a election for Prime minister and there was a hockey game on, the CBC would still show the game. I am not even talking about a playoff game.[/quote]

:lol::lol: Very true, I know I would be watching hockey
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
    BLACK35 wrote:
    I don't want Americans to get upset but what the hell is the interest with race car driving and horse racing? I think in Canada, even if there was a election for Prime minister and there was a hockey game on, the CBC would still show the game. I am not even talking about a playoff game.

:lol::lol: Very true, I know I would be watching hockey[/quote]

I went to a wedding last year and it was game 6 with the flyers and the pens and i brought a mini TV with me to watch the game. i was best man at the wedding. my friend understood and even said sorry for having his wedding the same day.
    fife wrote:

I honestly have no idea what's with our country's love affair for car racing, NASCAR in particular. And horse racing really is only televised when it comes to three races, the Kentucky Derby included. I'm not really into, but you also have to realize that the actual Kentucky Derby only lasts for like three minutes. It's the rest of the coverage of rich white women wearing big hats that is irritating...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    fife wrote:
    fife wrote:

You got me...

What boggles my mind even more is how the NHL lets NBC dictated everything, and pretty much gets nothing in return. Remember the scheduling mess last year in the last two rounds? NBC consistently treats the NHL like their red-headed step child, and the NHL keeps saying "thank you, may I have another?".
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    fuckin' NBC has the Kentucky Derby that afternoon...[/quote]

I don't want Americans to get upset but what the hell is the interest with race car driving and horse racing? I think in Canada, even if there was a election for Prime minister and there was a hockey game on, the CBC would still show the game. I am not even talking about a playoff game.[/quote]

You got me...

What boggles my mind even more is how the NHL lets NBC dictated everything, and pretty much gets nothing in return. Remember the scheduling mess last year in the last two rounds? NBC consistently treats the NHL like their red-headed step child, and the NHL keeps saying "thank you, may I have another?".[/quote]

Yes I remember last year. it was such crap. I say we all start a anti-NBC tread where we can talk bad about everything that NBC does. Bettman is the reason that NBC is allowed to do this. Bettman doesn't like to say things are not good.
    milarso wrote:
    fife wrote:

I honestly have no idea what's with our country's love affair for car racing, NASCAR in particular. And horse racing really is only televised when it comes to three races, the Kentucky Derby included. I'm not really into, but you also have to realize that the actual Kentucky Derby only lasts for like three minutes. It's the rest of the coverage of rich white women wearing big hats that is irritating...

i know you would think it was like the indy 500 which took what 11 hours to finish or something.
    fife wrote:

Nascar is fucking stupid.. so is horse racing for that matter.. But Americans, like canadians, love reasons to drink..for example:

"Hey hoser, want to drink a beer and watch some hockey, ay"
    or
    "yee haw, lets get loaded, watch nascar, and hit on my sister"
    or
    "fucking top of the third, we need more beer"
    Doesn't matter whats on tv, someone is getting shitty watching it.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    While horse racing does nothing for me, I get the whole pageantry and history that goes along with the Kentucky Derby... but NASCAR on TV is brutal... I've been to a couple of NASCAR races, and they are A LOT of fun to go to. But to sit down and watch it on TV boggles my mind. My in-laws do, and other than like the last 5 laps, I can't watch it.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    fife wrote:

Nascar is fucking stupid.. so is horse racing for that matter.. But Americans, like canadians, love reasons to drink..for example:

or
    or

1st off, i have never used the work hoser. but I agree with you on everything else.
    fife wrote:
    fife wrote:

or
    or

1st off, i have never used the work hoser. but I agree with you on everything else.
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    In regards to the NBC / NHL TV deal, NBC pays no upfront rights fee, instead they split advertising revenue with the league after meeting their own production and distribution costs. I wonder if Bettman penned the terms or if he just sent Tommy Boy Callahan in to work something out on the fly?

I think the recent NCAA / CBS deal was for around $10 Billion Dollars. The NHL's deal is for $0 Billion and a 50/50 split on ad revenue after operating expenses. The reason that the NHL does anything that NBC asks is that NBC doesn't really care about the NHL and would probably cut bait if the league ever tried to play hardball.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    the thing that makes horse racing popular is the gambling that goes along with it. take the gamble out and nobody would watch.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    the thing that makes horse racing popular is the gambling that goes along with it. take the gamble out and nobody would watch.

Sex and the City fans would...

****OK- that's my last Sarah Jessica Parker looks like a horse joke, I promise.
    milarso wrote:
    81 wrote:

Sex and the City fans would...

****OK- that's my last Sarah Jessica Parker looks like a horse joke, I promise.
    C'mon, you got at least one more in you.. but make it count!!
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    smarchee wrote:

Lol. You got me. Minnesota definitely has some dud games but they are a lot better to watch night in and night out than the Dud Wings. I was at a game in Minny this year where they came back to win from 5-1 in the 3rd against the Hawks and that building was insane.

Scoring isn't necessarily exciting -- it's scoring chances and action. A 5-4 game where there is 4 powerplay goals per team will be a dud to watch - but hey there was lots of scoring so it must have been great. I love Wings fans. You guys crack me up.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...