**THE 2010 NHL STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS THREAD**

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Rygar wrote:
    So Boston Philly don't play till Saturday and Montreal keeps going and plays Pitts tomorrow? Lame!

I think that there is something going on at the arena in Pittsburgh on Saturday... so the league probably didn't want to wait until Sunday to start.
    That's nasty. Habs expelled a lot of energy to get where they are now, who knows if they can do to Crosby what they did to Ovenchicken, although it would help if Malkin can pull a Semin and disappear for 5 games. Add to that the Penguins won't brush us off like Washington did.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Rygar wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    So Boston Philly don't play till Saturday and Montreal keeps going and plays Pitts tomorrow? Lame!

I think that there is something going on at the arena in Pittsburgh on Saturday... so the league probably didn't want to wait until Sunday to start.
    That's nasty. Habs expelled a lot of energy to get where they are now, who knows if they can do to Crosby what they did to Ovenchicken, although it would help if Malkin can pull a Semin and disappear for 5 games. Add to that the Penguins won't brush us off like Washington did.

It might be good for game #1 at least to start soon though. They have to be riding high right now and the Pens have to get their intensity up right away or Montreal could jump out to an early lead.

I just think that the Pens are too physical for Montreal to handle in a 7 game series...

In games 6-7, there were probably only a handful of times where the Caps had extended pressure down low in front of Halak. Look at the Ottawa/Pitt series with all of those goal reviews... due to both teams battling and working around the crease. The Caps took a lot of outside shots and the forwards would fly by the net.

The Pens just have to find a way to get around the HMS Hall Gill.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I could be wrong but I think he's saying european hockey sucks and thats what the wings play. I see your in Detroit check out the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL, guarantee you that most OHL games are more exciting than Wing games. I attend Windsor Spitfire games, I'd never set foot in the joe for another game, in the O they bring it every night for a fraction of the cost.

My real problem is with their lack of emotion (not saying that they don't try hard and want to win -- it's just that there is nobody on the team worth liking or even hating -- they have no character).

What's the first thing that they do when someone gives them a questionable hit or a face-wash or something like that? Do they retaliate? No. That might result in a penalty -- oooohh. Do they take a number and get the offending player back with a clean hit or even a questionable hit later? No. To a man, every player on that team will look at the ref and plead for a power-play. That soccer mentality translates into really boring hockey that is hard to watch. The best hockey to watch is where both teams wear their emotions on their sleeves and go for broke. That usually results in an end-to-end, hard hitting, animosity-filled game that is just fun to watch.

I guess if you are a hometown fan or a die-hard, it's nice to see wins but I would take an entertaining loss over a boring win 10 times out of 10.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    go wings..
    It might be good for game #1 at least to start soon though. They have to be riding high right now and the Pens have to get their intensity up right away or Montreal could jump out to an early lead.

I just think that the Pens are too physical for Montreal to handle in a 7 game series...

In games 6-7, there were probably only a handful of times where the Caps had extended pressure down low in front of Halak. Look at the Ottawa/Pitt series with all of those goal reviews... due to both teams battling and working around the crease. The Caps took a lot of outside shots and the forwards would fly by the net.

The Pens just have to find a way to get around the HMS Hall Gill.
    Possibly, but we'll see. A lot of people don't give the Habs enough credit when it comes to physical play (we outhit the Bruins on a regular basis, for example, and gave the Caps a superior physical show a game or two).
    We do have a couple of small forwards that make people think the entire team is small, but they're tough little hobbits.

Hal Gill. Never thought I'd be glad to see him get MORE ice time, but he's been very impressive for a while, before the playoffs started.

As long as we don't just roll over and die and let you off easy I will be happy. I respect effort.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Songburst wrote:
    I would take an entertaining loss over a boring win 10 times out of 10.

Maybe I'm way off base, and if I am I'll apologize- but is there anyone else, regardless who you root for, that just thinks this is unbelievably stupid?
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    milarso wrote:
    Songburst wrote:

Maybe I'm way off base, and if I am I'll apologize- but is there anyone else, regardless who you root for, that just thinks this is unbelievably stupid?
    He does
    >
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    BruinsONFIRE.gif

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    Rygar wrote:
    Hal Gill. Never thought I'd be glad to see him get MORE ice time, but he's been very impressive for a while, before the playoffs started.

He (along with Scuderi) are missed in Pittsburgh... Hal Gill is an outstanding player when used correctly. He really shines in the playoffs where checking is tighter and he can keep the play in front of him.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Rygar wrote:

He (along with Scuderi) are missed in Pittsburgh... Hal Gill is an outstanding player when used correctly. He really shines in the playoffs where checking is tighter and he can keep the play in front of him.
    Having a stick that's 8 feet long comes in handy too :lol:
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    BruinsONFIRE.gif

OH MY GOODNESS...that is NICHE! :D
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

milarso wrote:
    Songburst wrote:

Count me in too... Sure a hard fought, entertaining loss is a good watch sometimes, but more often then not, I'll take an ugly win.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    People still watch hockey?
    Save room for dessert!
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    jones wrote:
    go wings..

LETS GO RED WINGS !!
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    ouch 3-0....wings look tired
    not expecting a win what with the quick turnaround, not surprised San Jose had better opportunities, though the 3rd goal was a lucky bounce, Howard should have had better positioning on the 2nd goal

I like Detroit's fight back, still could be Detroit's game
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    smarchee wrote:
    not expecting a win what with the quick turnaround, not surprised San Jose had better opportunities, though the 3rd goal was a lucky bounce, Howard should have had better positioning on the 2nd goal

I like Detroit's fight back, still could be Detroit's game

wings have more energy now :thumbup:

holy shit!! rob blake is still playing?!?!!? damn :?
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    How cool is it that 4 of the Original 6 are still in the race for the Cup.
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• norm wrote:
    ouch 3-0....wings look tired

this is the only time of year i hate working nights. i see you have the wings down 3-0, then i go and check their website and see they're only down 3-2 during the 2nd intermission. fuck, i wish i was able to watch this.
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11
  • lmao, i hit refresh and it's 4-2 san jose. i hit refresh and it's 4-3 san jose.
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11
    milarso wrote:
    Songburst wrote:

Why do you watch hockey? Do you really get satisfaction from a W? Does it make your year when the Wings win the Cup? Even when I played competitively I hated playing in boring games. It was a waste of time and effort. I guess if you are actually playing in the game a boring win is more important than being entertaining but if I am watching a game I want action and emotion -- it's what makes hockey superior over every other team sport.

I will guarantee you that the Chicago-Vancouver series will be the best series to watch in the second round (Boston-Philly might be a good one too). I'm not a fan of either team but they both play a very entertaining "on the edge" style of play.
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    Lol -- it sure as shit beats football, baseball and soccer. I think that basketball still exists too but I'm not 100% on that one.
    Songburst wrote:
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    Lol -- it sure as shit beats football, baseball and soccer. I think that basketball still exists too but I'm not 100% on that one.
    "When you talk, I feel like I don't have enough bread crumbs to get home" Lewis Black
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    "When you talk, I feel like I don't have enough bread crumbs to get home" Lewis Black
    I now understand why you can tolerate watching Wings hockey.
    Songburst wrote:

watching the Wild play is a whole lot better, right I see your way of thinking
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    Songburst wrote:

It's funny- still nobody seems to agree that watching their team lose an "exciting" game is better than winning a "boring" one. Weird...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    Songburst wrote:
    I was born here, I live here, and I will die here.. I don't tolerate them, I am a life long fan. That team has brought our city and hockey fans everywhere a lot of joy.. You see a ton of Red Wings jerseys in almost every other city we play in. They are winners. Period. Just because you have special needs when you watch hockey, it doesn't change those facts. And if you lived here, you just might get where I am coming from. I love watching them play, I hang on every moment, its almost like your kid is out there skating. So it makes it plenty exciting.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    The NHL would be far more exciting if they had 6 fewer teams. Unfortunately they expanded to much.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    Songburst wrote:
    I was born here, I live here, and I will die here.. I don't tolerate them, I am a life long fan. That team has brought our city and hockey fans everywhere a lot of joy.. You see a ton of Red Wings jerseys in almost every other city we play in. They are winners. Period. Just because you have special needs when you watch hockey, it doesn't change those facts. And if you lived here, you just might get where I am coming from. I love watching them play, I hang on every moment, its almost like your kid is out there skating. So it makes it plenty exciting.
    Hey- You don't come from Canada, so you clearly can't appreciate hockey. It's not about winning and losing. It's about emotion. :roll:
    When I want emotion I'll watch The Notebook...
    songburst is just pissed that Detroit has no goons and has turned away from that style of game post-lock out and he is bitter that more teams are emulating Detroit than Minnesota

he thinks Minnesota games with goons like that 6-4 260 pound thug and some other goon hanger on fighting is exciting, even when minnesota scores 2 or less most of the time
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2