The official $92.05 is Too much Thread

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    bhigh901 wrote:

Nobody cares about the UK... I am a White Male American... (Please detect my sarcasm) $92 for a Pearl Jam ticket at Madsion Square Garden is very reasonable... Do they not deserve to make a living? Should they sell them for $30 and let the scalpers sell them for $300? So Muse played Wembley and the door take was 3.5million and pj played the O2 and the take was 900,000-1.2million. So by your own facts you can see why the price is higher... If PJ played an outdoor Stadium they could do $40-$50 tickets.. but then the show would be so much less intimate..

look man i get you... i really do. I'm not that fucked if they charge $90 a ticket.. it's just as a consumer of products that go up in price by a large amount per year I feel i am entitled to moan and question it.

there are 2 or 3 sheeple on this thread alone who are in the PJ can do no wrong camp, they can charge what they want and if you dont like it don't buy it... those same people who say fantastical phrases like 'shouldn't they earn a living' which suggests that Stone is on the bread line as turns his boxers inside out to save on detergent costs...

I'd like to ask those people if they sit in a bar and then hear an old guy bemoan the price of gas, bread, whatever.. do those same guys on here who act all tough just yell in the old mans face "but the petrol companies have to make a living you dumb fucker".

this is what people do... things go up in price and you complain about it... thats a mans right.. especially in a bar filled with old men who have worked for a living ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • sak300zxsak300zx Posts: 720
    its too much money. i still bought them, but it really isn't fair.
    www.Collectionzz.com
  • NacreRockNacreRock Posts: 91
    Dunkman I get what you are saying...sometimes we are simply frustrated with something and want to vent. Be it ticket prices, gas, whatever. I also can't stand fans that believe their band can do no wrong and immediately label someone who says anything remotely negative a "hater". Which I think is a stupid ass, overused and immature cyberspace term. On the other hand, I believe that some of the comments on this thread started coming from fans (such as me) who grow tired of hearing things like "I can't believe 10C screwed me over because I only got seats in the 10th row. I used to sit in the 3rd row" meanwhile a lot of us are in the rafters or "It is so hard to be a fan in NYC, Boston, LA, etc. because I have to compete with sooooo many people for tix" meanwhile you find out they have attended 999 shows in their lifetime. So for those of us who are just thrilled to have PJ come somewhere near our vicinity it comes off as a bit self centered and a gives us the feeling that certain fans believe they are entitled. Again, I understand it is all relative depending on where an individual is sitting, but some of us are just thrilled to have any opportunity to see PJ and usually have to travel to experience it. But I get you...really I do (and I say that with no sarcasm).
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Here's something to think about...
    I was dating a married gal who was Christian and had strong beliefs about marriage, but only considered vaginal sex as adultery... so, we'd have wild oral and anal sex.
    Think about that!
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • dunkman wrote:
    bhigh901 wrote:
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    Muse was only $50, and they have one of the most complex light shows and stage set-ups going these days. I don't see why PJ would need to charge $92 bucks for a ticket when they don't have half of what Muse has stage-wise.

Muse charges $50 because they don't have the fanbase to support $92 tickets.. Probably have 20 percent of the fanbase Pearl Jam has...

you have basically admitted that PJ price them so high simply because they have a large fan base and can then rely on their wealthier fanbase to pick up the high cost of tickets... If Muse can do a fucking light show as amazing as theirs and pay their way and still make a nice bit of money for themselves when tickets cost $50 then why can't PJ... they have no lasers and lights shows... the simple fact is is that PJ know their fans will pay whatever it costs and secondly they dont shift the units like they used to... so they make more money by charging for it.

Muse at $50 is almost a free concert... their show is insanely good... PJ's show is more about the variation and the oneness of the audience, but we should all realise they charge $92 because they know some of us will pay it.
    what you said
  • NacreRockNacreRock Posts: 91
    Cosmo wrote:
    I was dating a married gal who was Christian and had strong beliefs about marriage, but only considered vaginal sex as adultery... so, we'd have wild oral and anal sex.
    Think about that!

Wow!
  • Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Can't put a price on happiness.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    pjl44 wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:
    I don't know what a 'raving little economist' is, but supply and demand is an easy concept for anyone to grasp. If there is concern about the price of a concert ticket, I would assume it's with the attempt to find an explanation as to why vs. just throwing a tantrum like a petulant child. Again, with the insane demand for these tickets at a $92 cost, how do you expect to get your hands on one if the price is dropped 40-50%?
    fact: demand was much greater in PJ's heyday than it is now.
    fact: PJ kept those prices low anyway. they didnt give a shit about supply and demand.
    fact: PJ doesnt give a shit about keeping prices down now and will charge whatever they think they can get.
    fact: costs have not risen to the point that ticket prices have doubled in just a few short years. this idea that its only because of increased costs is sheer insanity and ignorance.

regardless of which side of the fence you're on, deal with those FACTS.

and i would never pay 90 bucks to sit in the nosebleeds. fuck that shit. you say im not hardcore, i say im not a sucker.

Your "facts" leave out a lot of crucial differences between then and now. I'm not sure what you consider their "heyday," but they're selling tickets every bit as furiously now as they have at any point. Much of this probably has to do with the evolution of internet ticketing. With the exception of MSG 03, no one ever got shut out of 10C tickets when they had to pony up cash for money orders rather than just putting it on a credit card. The internet has also made it easier to scoop up tix during a general sale then throw them up on the secondary market. If Pearl Jam tix were still $50, how would the band and crew feel about MORE tickets winding up on the secondary market at EXACTLY the same price they're going for now. Congratulations on creating a larger profit margin for scalpers.

I'll ask for the third time...

How much should they be charging for tickets? If it's significantly lower, what does that do to your chances of getting your hands on one for face value? How many more would wind up on the secondary market?

If Phish is $50 Face at MSG PJ should be $50
    The Phish stage show expenses being canceled out by the PJ opener

I mean for christ's sake I'm seeing Petty at MSG for $68 after service charges... Pearl Jam should not cost $24 more than Tom Petty
    bhigh901 wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    bhigh901 wrote:

Muse charges $50 because they don't have the fanbase to support $92 tickets.. Probably have 20 percent of the fanbase Pearl Jam has.. Pearl Jam is an American Institution.. Check the prices on Rolling Stones, Dylan, Clapton, Springsteen, Petty... Then see how "over-priced" Pearl Jam tickets are.. When you have second and going on 3rd generations of fans, the demand far exceeds supply...

i know you won't reply to this but no matter.

Muse outsell Pj in the UK easily... and i mean easily... both in record sales and in concert sales.

Muse are playing Wembley Stadium which holds 60-70k and sold out in hours... PJ played Wembley Arena which holds 10-13k.

Muse tickets in the UK are still lower in price than those of PJ... PJ at London O2 were $90 each. Muse are about $50.

So with your own post in mind please explain why it isnt the reverse... why are PJ tickets not lower in the UK/Europe than those of Muse who outsell PJ in all respects. :?

Nobody cares about the UK... I am a White Male American... (Please detect my sarcasm) $92 for a Pearl Jam ticket at Madsion Square Garden is very reasonable... Do they not deserve to make a living? Should they sell them for $30 and let the scalpers sell them for $300? So Muse played Wembley and the door take was 3.5million and pj played the O2 and the take was 900,000-1.2million. So by your own facts you can see why the price is higher... If PJ played an outdoor Stadium they could do $40-$50 tickets.. but then the show would be so much less intimate..

either way a fan pays 300... the scalper is getting it anyway and the scalper prob needs it more than PJ...

so I should feel good because for the tickets that fall into a scalpers hands PJ is getting more of the cut? of course this comes at the expense of everyone else who is paying too much to see dots on a stage
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Cosmo wrote:
    Think about that!
    LINK? 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • slingsling Posts: 169
    Cosmo wrote:
    Think about that!

Was this "married gal" named Bill Clinton?
  • FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 973
    1) See avatar.

2) Bruce did not charge ridiculous prices AT ALL.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Earlier I posted that I didn't have a problem that ticket prices were higher this tour. For the most part I don't because you are getting a great opening band and an awesome pearl jam show. I do however, feel that high prices on balcony seats are unnecessary. At much at I love the band I would never pay almost $90 in Boston for balcony seats. I look at balcony seats like lawn seats and feel they should be absolutely no more than $50. LOGE and floor seats are another story.

I recently looked at Phish's summer tour and was shocked when I noticed that pretty much every ticket is $50 (whether pavillion, lawn, etc.). This includes playing very intimate venues including the Greek Theatre in LA! I know some people have mentioned it has to do with renting the venue, but I think that is a bunch of bullshit. They are playing the Comcast center in Mansfield and every seat is the venue is $50. In 2008 Pearl Jam charged almost $75 a pair through the 10club. They also have to pay the opening act, which Phish cuts costs by instead playing two sets.

Don't get me wrong I love Pearl Jam and am more than excited to see them in Boston (and on the 18th if its in New England) and I appreciate all they do for all us fans. However, I read a post the other day about how Eddie was "worried" about having to raise prices due to illegal music downloads. With all the money the band makes from merchandise such as posters and bootlegs I think they more than make up for whatever money they lose from downloads.

I guess my point is that prices could easily be lower.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    i've seen low prices on this tour. they're not all 92.05.
    I miss igotid88
  • Put $2.00 a day into a Pearl Jam fund, do this every day for a year.

Go to as many shows as you want......

We can now close this thread.

Or just accumulate a ton of change by paying for things such as gum, newspapers with dollar bills. Take it to a TD Bank and put it in the penny arcade, walk to the teller with your receipt and collect your cash. Last time I did that, I walked out with 160 bucks.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    Put $2.00 a day into a Pearl Jam fund, do this every day for a year.

Or just accumulate a ton of change by paying for things such as gum, newspapers with dollar bills. Take it to a TD Bank and put it in the penny arcade, walk to the teller with your receipt and collect your cash. Last time I did that, I walked out with 160 bucks.

i like the penny arcade
    I miss igotid88
  • I would have payed $92.50 10 years ago to see pj.
    I don't think people understand what it cost to pay everybody when it comes to playing a show.
    I bet they don't make as much as everybody thinks.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Band makes a ton touring. That is how they make all their money. Pearl jam is the exception with the merchandise/bootleg aspect.

I am all for higher floor/loge seats. It's worth it. Charge less for the balcony though!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • PredakingPredaking Posts: 282
    Cosmo wrote:
    Think about that!

If that's true, sir, then you are a lucky bastard! :shock:
  • prfctlefts wrote:
    I would have payed $92.50 10 years ago to see pj.
    I don't think people understand what it cost to pay everybody when it comes to playing a show.
    if thats true then how do all those other bands survive charging less? people act like 90 bucks is the minimum to eek out a profit in NY, when it clearly isnt.
  • Put $2.00 a day into a Pearl Jam fund, do this every day for a year.

my two dollars a day are already going to my stripper beach blowout extravaganza. i have priorities.
  • I don't understand what everyone is complaining about. I paid $164 for 2 DMB tickets via Warehouse, so without any ticketmaster fees. Face value of $80. So I really can't say that PJ is ripping of their fans. And I paid $169 for my two PJ tix (via ticketmaster) for Hartford. $92 is not that much of a price difference in my opinion is that's including fees
    And Muse tickets are cheaper even though they have a complex stage, but they only play for an hour and a half. And I know that because I saw them live 3 days ago. I'd rather pay more to see PJ play for 3 hours.
    MrSmith wrote:
    prfctlefts wrote:
    I would have payed $92.50 10 years ago to see pj.
    if thats true then how do all those other bands survive charging less? people act like 90 bucks is the minimum to eek out a profit in NY, when it clearly isnt.

at MSG they are charging $25 more than Phish. Times that by appx 20,000 seats thats $500,000 more brought in than phis per night. Somehow I think they are doing just fine...
  • En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,647
    I honestly couldn't care less about the price. I am willing to pay. The enjoyment is worth it to me. Especially since I can get the bootlegs later and experience the show over and over. I can put the poster on my wall. Believe me, I am struggling financially more than anyone I know, but I have decided that putting money aside to see PJ is worth it for me. I can honestly say that I don't travel often. If your priorities are elsewhere than that is fine by me, but for now I am good. I am single, have no kids and keep my bills at a minimum, maybe one day my situation will change, but until then I am going to continue to do what I love!!

Bring on Pearl Jam!!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • jamiem48jamiem48 Posts: 10
    I was thinking about this last night. By the time you pay everyone, the band really isn't getting much. I truly was thinking about this over the past few days. Not to mention my friend paid over $100 to see Tim McGraw or someone like that. ugh! So it could be worse.

So you have to pay security, admin, ticketmaster, pr/advertising, sound, set up crew, the venue, traveling costs, etc. etc. and many more i'm not thinking of im sure and when all is said in done after paying all of these pockets... they really aren't getting *that* much people! musicians are actually underpaid in the industry when compared to other artists such as actors.
    jamiem48 wrote:
    I was thinking about this last night. By the time you pay everyone, the band really isn't getting much. I truly was thinking about this over the past few days. Not to mention my friend paid over $100 to see Tim McGraw or someone like that. ugh! So it could be worse.

So you have to pay security, admin, ticketmaster, pr/advertising, sound, set up crew, the venue, traveling costs, etc. etc. and many more i'm not thinking of im sure and when all is said in done after paying all of these pockets... they really aren't getting *that* much people! musicians are actually underpaid in the industry when compared to other artists such as actors.

Somehow I think they're doing just fine
  • It is completely worth it. Pearl Jam is one of - if not the best- bands to see live. The fact that you can see them two or three nights in a row and hear a ton of different songs is enough for me. A lot of other bands i have seen like Oasis, STP, Chris Cornell. Tom Petty and the list goes on play the same exact set night after night. Also PJ always plays around 3 hours if not more. Most bands you are lucky if they do an hour and a half. I was at the Garden show that is on dvd and if you have seen it, Eddie says how they are going to keep playing even though it's going to cost them an extra couple thousand dollars. Do you know how rare that is for a band to do?

They clearly do not rip off and their fans and you really get your moneys worth.
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    It's hilarious how many people here try to convince the rest of us here in reality that the band really isn't making very much money. Pass some of what you are smoking.
  • PJam82PJam82 Posts: 107
    It's hilarious how many people here try to convince the rest of us here in reality that the band really isn't making very much money. Pass some of what you are smoking.

It's also hilarious reading the opposing view, don't pretend they keep it all and don't give away a pretty penny, they do...we're an extreme bunch, no doubts about that!

I've been to about 12 shows in my life after being convinced a fan in about 2002...and I must say that 92$ is NOT too much for what you experience at a PJ show. I say that in all honesty. However, the Pearl Jam brand wouldn't go broke if they ALWAYS maintained a section of seats for about 30-40$ for a certain sector of their fanbase.

If that means posters go up from 25 to 35 dollars at a show....so be it. I pay that off the 10C in online sales after shipping. Not a big deal. I'd actually be okay with picking up that slight tab if it meant dropping ticket prices a little bit for the tail end of the group that's just experiencing it for the first time.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    is there a list of concerts being played at MSG this summer with their pricing?

the quote JDSal put pretty much sums it up for me ...
This discussion has been closed.