The official $92.05 is Too much Thread

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    why now u dont bitching??

norm wrote:

b6703c26.jpg
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    jets521 wrote:
    Pearl Jam is keeps their tickets lower than most

No they don't dude and you people who say that do really sound silly. Sure they charge less than U2 and Paul McCartney and guys like that. But they charge way more than their contemporaries like, as I said earlier in the thread, Dave Matthews, Radiohead, Metallica, and Green Day. All four of those bands are just as popular as Pearl Jam....and they all charge like $30 less for tix.

i would argue that those four bands are significantly more popular then Pearl Jam

I think Metallica might be. They're a pretty well known band, and if they wanted to they could get away with $92.05.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    stranger34 wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:
    What a joke. At least U2 has overhead costs and Springsteen has a huge band. Whats PJ's reason?

There's a disease and they're all green, it emanates from their beings

It's real simple. Just buy the bootlegs.

AJ

I don't buy the bootlegs anymore, Ed sounds so crappy that half the time it ruins my memory of the show. 08 Boots and beyond are pretty much unlistenable to me. 05's still great. 06 kind of passable

Then why would you even want to go to a show, if it sounds crappy. What kind of thread is this? "Ninety-two bucks is too much to pay for something I don't want to do anyway!!!!"

Thread fail.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    Cosmo wrote:
    Here's something to think about...
    I was dating a married gal who was Christian and had strong beliefs about marriage, but only considered vaginal sex as adultery... so, we'd have wild oral and anal sex.
    Think about that!

Now you have something in common with Jerry Falwell. You've both fucked Christians in the ass.

:):):):):)
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    It's hilarious how many people here try to convince the rest of us here in reality that the band really isn't making very much money. Pass some of what you are smoking.

The majority of the people here are trying to explain that a few years ago when a ticket was $55, their expenses were less. Now in 2010, they have more expenses so that extra $20 is paying for additional expenses. For you people living in 'reality'...just a reminder, that's called inflation. Last I checked, it's pretty real.

I'm not saying the band isnt making more money than they did in the past, it's just pretty obvious that expenses for a band are very different than they were 5-10 yrs ago.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    I don't think there's any need to rationalize. Tickets cost what they cost. You can't go into a restaurant and bitch that the price of filet mignon is too much. You either pay it, or you order the hamburger.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,361
    It's hilarious how many people here try to convince the rest of us here in reality that the band really isn't making very much money. Pass some of what you are smoking.

The majority of the people here are trying to explain that a few years ago when a ticket was $55, their expenses were less. Now in 2010, they have more expenses so that extra $20 is paying for additional expenses. For you people living in 'reality'...just a reminder, that's called inflation. Last I checked, it's pretty real.

I'm not saying the band isnt making more money than they did in the past, it's just pretty obvious that expenses for a band are very different than they were 5-10 yrs ago.

The inflation rate is actually pretty low. What cost $55 in 2000 costs about $68 today.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    I don't think there's any need to rationalize. Tickets cost what they cost. You can't go into a restaurant and bitch that the price of filet mignon is too much. You either pay it, or you order the hamburger.

This is not how things work. Customers complain to businesses all the time. If enough people complain that the price of filet mignon is too high, the restaurant will eventually have to make a business decision to lower the price or keep prices the same and risk losing customers.
  • Would you like some cheese with that wine???

Don't forget Pearl Jam has to pay the noise violation fees to play later into the night. I think that costs a decent amount too. People seem to forget that - I think they got fined like 15-20K last time they went to MSG. The band made a point to say they worked it out with the arena so they can play "all night" which means they paid to play...
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

but you'll bitch about the price of that fillet mignon to your friends and relatives though wouldnt you? i would... i'd be saying to whomever was with me at the restaurant "fuck me, did you see the price of that steak, unreal... a steak down the street is $15 less".

of course i can be thankful I'm not dining with 1 or 2 people from this thread as it would be quite embarrassing in the restaurant for them to stand up and yell at me "you whiny ass motherfucker, either pay the price or shut the fuck up... it's the best steak in the world, no-one is forcing you to buy it,.. etc etc etc..."

still thats nowhere near as embarrassing as those 1 or 2 people leaving the restaurant crying into the back of an ambulance as a result of a broken cock.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    BF25394 wrote:

This is not how things work. Customers complain to businesses all the time. If enough people complain that the price of filet mignon is too high, the restaurant will eventually have to make a business decision to lower the price or keep prices the same and risk losing customers.

Actually, as long as they have customers and are receiving orders for the filet mignon, they will not likely change the price if people complain. Coincidentally, PJ will not reduce their prices of MSG tickets if it is always sold out.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    stranger34 wrote:
    For the record I usually go to about 20 shows a year... from clubs to Stadiums. I can't remember the last time I spent $92 on a ticket. Actually I can, it was probably PJ at the Spectrum. Before that it was probably PJ at the Garden 08... I've already bought about 10 shows for 2010. PJ MSG being the most expensive. More expensive than DMB and Petty who are next in line.

Prob the only show I'll go to that will cost this much in 2010 will be if the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac tour together... I don't even think Sting solo costs this much.

just looked up tom petty at MSG ... the top end ticket is $134.50 not including surcharges and tax ...

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1D004 ... n=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=madison%20square%20garden&__utmv=-&__utmk=164748156
    IGOTSHIT15 wrote:
    Would you like some cheese with that wine???

Don't forget Pearl Jam has to pay the noise violation fees to play later into the night. I think that costs a decent amount too. People seem to forget that - I think they got fined like 15-20K last time they went to MSG. The band made a point to say they worked it out with the arena so they can play "all night" which means they paid to play...

There's a noise violation fee for an indoor arena? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm asking seriously. I could understand a fee because arena personnel get paid overtime after a certain hour, but I don't understand why noise restrictions would apply.
  • edited March 2010

no one said expenses havent increased, but you know expenses havent increased this much. not even close.

the notion that PJ is still trying to keep prices down for the fans is completely wrong. whether you have a problem with it is up to you. personally, ninety bucks to sit in the upper deck of a PJ show isnt worth it. to a lot of people it is. whatever. JUST STOP BLAMING THE RISE IN TICKET PRICES ON EXPENSES WHEN MANY OTHER BANDS CHARGE LESS! YOU ARE LYING TO YOURSELF.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    IGOTSHIT15 wrote:
    Would you like some cheese with that wine???

YES! That's it...it's because of the noise violation fines! The excuse get better and better :lol:

I was at both MSG shows last time around and in spite of Ed's usual BS about breaking curfew, they played just as long as they usually play. If they cared so much about noise violations, it is perfectly within their power to hit the stage sooner.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,764
    BF25394 wrote:

The inflation rate is actually pretty low. What cost $55 in 2000 costs about $68 today.

For the win!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • STOP BLAMING THE RISE IN TICKET PRICES ON EXPENSES WHEN MANY OTHER BANDS CHARGE FAR FAR LESS! YOU ARE LYING TO YOURSELF.
    MrSmith wrote:
    no one said expenses havent increased, but you know expenses havent increased this much. not even close.

the notion that PJ is still trying to keep prices down for the fans is completely wrong. whether you have a problem with it is up to you. personally, ninety bucks to sit in the upper deck of a PJ show isnt worth it. to a lot of people it is. whatever. JUST STOP BLAMING THE RISE IN TICKET PRICES ON EXPENSES WHEN MANY OTHER BANDS CHARGE LESS! YOU ARE LYING TO YOURSELF.

Deaf ears dude. They don't want to listen to reality. You could lock them in a bathroom while all the members of Pearl Jam are passing last nights Taco Bell dinner and they would still insist their shit don't stink. Busses, crew, noise curfew fees, families, inflation, AIDS, animals in greenland becoming extinct, enron, crystal pepsi being discontinued....all valid reasons in their mind why the band is charging so much more for tickets than other bands in their genre.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,674
    I dont think its too much. I am happy to pay it for the experience.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Concert ticket prices have gone up due to market value adjustments. Scalpers were able to make boatloads of $$ because the face value was set too low. The high ticket price helps the artist/promoter reclaim away a huge percentage of the scalper's profit. The rise in ticket prices has little to do with inflation.
    MrSmith wrote:
    STOP BLAMING THE RISE IN TICKET PRICES ON EXPENSES WHEN MANY OTHER BANDS CHARGE FAR FAR LESS! YOU ARE LYING TO YOURSELF.

but at least compare apples to apples - here are some other concerts at MSG with top end ticket price (PJ is flat at $79):

Tom Petty: $134.50
    Peter Gabriel: $199.50
    New Kids on the Block: $99.50
    Lady Gaga: $179.50
    Iron Maiden: $84.50

every single one is more expensive then PJ

edit: cuss! justin bieber is like $69.50 but you have to join his Fan Club for $45 cussin' dollars!
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Concert ticket prices have gone up due to market value adjustments. Scalpers were able to make boatloads of $$ because the face value was set too low. The high ticket price helps the artist/promoter reclaim away a huge percentage of the scalper's profit. The rise in ticket prices has little to do with inflation.
    jesus christ. how do i put this... Pearl Jam likes making more money now. people will pay it. thus, the price of tickets are more now.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    MrSmith wrote:
    STOP BLAMING THE RISE IN TICKET PRICES ON EXPENSES WHEN MANY OTHER BANDS CHARGE FAR FAR LESS! YOU ARE LYING TO YOURSELF.

I don't mind what I'm paying for the shows I'm attending but $92 for the rafters at MSG is too much. The excuse that gets to me though is when people say they have to charge that much because they have families.

We don't know the exact reasons for the increase in prices but it could be due to the shorters tours. For the band to make close to as much per leg or per tour as they did in 00 or 03 they have to raise prices. I don't consider that making excuses for them I think the band cares about making money.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    its 2010 its gonna be $100 to see someone awesome, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    MrSmith wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    jesus christ. how do i put this... Pearl Jam likes making more money now. people will pay it. thus, the price of tickets are more now.

Easy there, Smitty......I agree with you, man. Hence, my remark about market value adjustments.
  • polaris_x wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

but at least compare apples to apples - here are some other concerts at MSG with top end ticket price (PJ is flat at $79):

Tom Petty: $134.50
    Peter Gabriel: $199.50
    New Kids on the Block: $99.50
    Lady Gaga: $179.50
    Iron Maiden: $84.50

every single one is more expensive then PJ

edit: cuss! justin bieber is like $69.50 but you have to join his Fan Club for $45 cussin' dollars!

a:) PJ isnt in the same league/demo as any of those bands you mentioned, save maybe Iron MAiden. that is not an apples to apples comparison. bands similar to PJ charge around the same or less, but not because of expenses, but because they can. they've already been listed here earlier so go read the thread.
    b:)Phish charged $50. perhaps they only broke even, but to say PJ couldnt make a profit on less than 90$ is insane.
    c:) why does Petre Gabriel charge 200 dollars? why does Tom Petty charge 134$? because of expenses? fuck no, because they want to make more money. same with PJ. its ok.
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Easy there, Smitty......I agree with you, man. Hence, my remark about market value adjustments.
    yeah i see what your saying.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    Again...I'd like to thank all my fellow PJ fans for stealing music and changing the industry. I'll continue to purchase all my music so unfortunately I get finger-cuffed.
    hippiemom = goodness
    MrSmith wrote:
    a:) PJ isnt in the same league/demo as any of those bands you mentioned, save maybe Iron MAiden. that is not an apples to apples comparison. bands similar to PJ charge around the same or less, but not because of expenses, but because they can. they've already been listed here earlier so go read the thread.
    b:)Phish charged $50. perhaps they only broke even, but to say PJ couldnt make a profit on less than 90$ is insane.
    c:) why does Petre Gabriel charge 200 dollars? why does Tom Petty charge 134$? because of expenses? fuck no, because they want to make more money. same with PJ. its ok.

are you kidding me? you think Iron Maiden is in the same league as PJ? ... i know you are extremely bitter person right now as it relates to PJ but that is absurd ... i don't see iron maiden on conan or snl ...

was Phish playing MSG? ... that's my point in terms of apples to apples ... the venue rental fee is a huge consideration in discussing ticket price ... please point me to other bands who have charged less playing MSG ... i'm pretty sure if you put all the bands out there - PJ is gonna be on the lower end of the scale ... but apparently that isn't good enuf for a lot of y'all on here ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    are you kidding me? you think Iron Maiden is in the same league as PJ? ... i know you are extremely bitter person right now as it relates to PJ but that is absurd ... i don't see iron maiden on conan or snl ...

was Phish playing MSG? ... that's my point in terms of apples to apples ... the venue rental fee is a huge consideration in discussing ticket price ... please point me to other bands who have charged less playing MSG ... i'm pretty sure if you put all the bands out there - PJ is gonna be on the lower end of the scale ... but apparently that isn't good enuf for a lot of y'all on here ...

Weren't there other dates/venues with similar prices? It's not just MSG.
This discussion has been closed.