The official $92.05 is Too much Thread

Comments

• murphyJammermurphyJammer Posts: 120
    edited March 2010
    This debate reminds me of the debate regarding rising ticket prices for baseball games. In the end I feel the same about it, it's shitty that the prices have gone up, but these are in the end luxury items not necessities. You are free to buy or not buy as many tickets as you like. You also have lower cost alternatives (listening to the boot, watching the game on tv). The experience is not as good, but that is part of what you pay a ticket premium for.

I also feel that it is important to remember that the band does not take the combined ticket sales money and split it six ways. There are crew members to pay, permits to purchase, and curfew fines to pay. It is unfortunately the cost of doing business. In a related matter, if this is what it takes to give the road crew the pay and benefits they need, I'll pay $92.05 for days. :)
    Post edited by murphyJammer on
    "Bombs dropping down. Please forgive our hometown"
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    Predaking wrote:
    Eggs are no longer $0.99 a dozen, gas is not $0.89 a gallon, milk is has not been $1.99 a gallon in forever. You see where this is going? The tix I bought for Philly last year were expensive, yes. However, did you see what the service fees were for that? Unbelievable. It'd be different if I went to a box office and someone had to physically print the tickets up. However, in this world of electronic commerce, trying to charge more than $2 for the privilege of buying a ticket is preposterous!

I'm sorry, but this is just how it is. We're all older, and this is what happens. It's a shame, since once ticket prices hit $100+, I'm going to have serious reservations about going. Is a show still worth $100. I think so. However, as a responsible parent, is it $100 that might be better spent for the good of my family?

This debate will never, ever end. If you think the tickets are too expensive, don't buy them. It's that simple. There are plenty of people that will have no reservations doing so. I'd love a copy of Yield or No Code on vinyl. However, I'm not paying the $60 plus on ebay for it. There are plenty of people that will.

Not to be a dick, but milk is still 2.00 dollars a gallon at my local wal-mart.

FYI Eggs are .99 a dozen at Walgreens :mrgreen:
  • marshmelimarshmeli Posts: 31
    stranger34 wrote:
    The Phish example is perfect. They just played the garden for a flat rate face of $49.50. If Pearl Jam had the same ethical stance they had 10 years ago I'd bet they'd charge about that. Phish charging 49.50 pretty much ends the concept of Pearl Jam being a band that tries to keep it's ticket prices down for it's fans.

exactly... Phish is one of the best examples you can use since they put on one hell of a unique show each night with amazing lights and have keep their prices very low throughout the years. True Phish doesnt have an opener, so if PJ used their pricing model they could add like $5 on to each ticket to cover the cost of the opener
    -Mike
    twitter.com/marshmeli
  • slingsling Posts: 169
    And if supply and demand is not a factor at all, then please explain those cheap ticket prices in Indy and Portland - that before service charges are even less than the 30 bucks the community orchestra I'm in charges for a ticket. What, PJ just likes those cities better? :p

Pointing out things does not make one a "defender". I agree it sucks to pay $92 for seats in the rafters. But I'd still gladly do it. And would prefer PJ to pocket the money than scalpers.

Can you imagine if the smaller EV shows were $25 a ticket? Do you really think it'd be so easy to get that ticket at that price? The scalpers would scoop up everything and you'd just be paying them.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I gotta admit, I am pretty shocked to see this. This is why I'm not doing MSG, I just pulled up tickets for MSG behind the stage, all thats left, $92 to stare at their backs? Are you kidding me? It has come to this? I hate to say it but I think my days of following the band for 10 shows a tour are over. I remember in 03 I paid less than $92 for a fuckin pair through the fanclub! WTF! I love the band and they will always be the best live show for me, but now its looking like my touring days at through and I'll only be able to afford a couple shows.
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • pjl44 wrote:
    I don't know what a 'raving little economist' is, but supply and demand is an easy concept for anyone to grasp. If there is concern about the price of a concert ticket, I would assume it's with the attempt to find an explanation as to why vs. just throwing a tantrum like a petulant child. Again, with the insane demand for these tickets at a $92 cost, how do you expect to get your hands on one if the price is dropped 40-50%?
    fact: demand was much greater in PJ's heyday than it is now.
    fact: PJ kept those prices low anyway. they didnt give a shit about supply and demand.
    fact: PJ doesnt give a shit about keeping prices down now and will charge whatever they think they can get.
    fact: costs have not risen to the point that ticket prices have doubled in just a few short years. this idea that its only because of increased costs is sheer insanity and ignorance.

regardless of which side of the fence you're on, deal with those FACTS.

and i would never pay 90 bucks to sit in the nosebleeds. fuck that shit. you say im not hardcore, i say im not a sucker.
    MrSmith wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:
    I don't know what a 'raving little economist' is, but supply and demand is an easy concept for anyone to grasp. If there is concern about the price of a concert ticket, I would assume it's with the attempt to find an explanation as to why vs. just throwing a tantrum like a petulant child. Again, with the insane demand for these tickets at a $92 cost, how do you expect to get your hands on one if the price is dropped 40-50%?
    fact: PJ kept those prices low anyway. they didnt give a shit about supply and demand.
    fact: PJ doesnt give a shit about keeping prices down now and will charge whatever they think they can get.
    fact: costs have not risen to the point that ticket prices have doubled in just a few short years. this idea that its only because of increased costs is sheer insanity and ignorance.

and i would never pay 90 bucks to sit in the nosebleeds. fuck that shit. you say im not hardcore, i say im not a sucker.

Fact: Vs. sold 950,378 copies first week of release.
    Fact: Backspacer sold 189,000 copies first week of release.
    Fact: Pearl Jam have been incredibly gererous in regards to philanthropy so don't assume the state of their finances.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    look we dont know the business behind the band? thats the only fact.
    how would anyone know what the band can and cannot control, whether it be which venues to play, whos opening, or how much tickets will be, etc? i genuinely believe they try to keep the cost down as best they can, call me a fool but i think they do whatever in there power to keep ticket prices at a minimal.
    im just glad they are coming back around and that i can afford the tix.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,445
    If you can afford $92.50 to go see Pearl Jam...Then go to the show and have a great time!!!!!!

If you cant afford $92.50 to go see Pearl Jam.....Then do not go to the show, and enjoy your summer!!!!!

We can close this thread now.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    If you can afford $92.50 to go see Pearl Jam...Then go to the show and have a great time!!!!!!

If you cant afford $92.50 to go see Pearl Jam.....Then do not go to the show, and enjoy your summer!!!!!

I don't give a Rat's Ass if you enjoy your summer, Speedy!! :lol:
    bhigh901 wrote:

I don't give a Rat's Ass if you enjoy your summer, Speedy!! :lol:
    hehehehehehe

Im going fishing..
    Im going swimming...
    Im going to go camping....
    Im going to 2 Cubs games.......

I am not going to any Pearl Jam shows.....

I am going to have a KICK ASS summer!!!!
    [quote="SPEEDY MCCREADY

Im going fishing..
    Im going swimming...
    Im going to go camping....
    Im going to 2 Cubs games.......

I am not going to any Pearl Jam shows.....

I am going to have a KICK ASS summer!!!![/quote]

Rock on brother.. Just wish you were going to some shows so I could meet the man behind all the mayhem around here.. I guess it's for the best.. I hear you are kinda a dick.. :D
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    MrSmith wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

Your "facts" leave out a lot of crucial differences between then and now. I'm not sure what you consider their "heyday," but they're selling tickets every bit as furiously now as they have at any point. Much of this probably has to do with the evolution of internet ticketing. With the exception of MSG 03, no one ever got shut out of 10C tickets when they had to pony up cash for money orders rather than just putting it on a credit card. The internet has also made it easier to scoop up tix during a general sale then throw them up on the secondary market. If Pearl Jam tix were still $50, how would the band and crew feel about MORE tickets winding up on the secondary market at EXACTLY the same price they're going for now. Congratulations on creating a larger profit margin for scalpers.

I'll ask for the third time...

How much should they be charging for tickets? If it's significantly lower, what does that do to your chances of getting your hands on one for face value? How many more would wind up on the secondary market?
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    This is what I want to know...an old philosophy of PJ's (along with keeping prices low) was to charge one price for tickets regardless of where you're sitting, because they believed that fans shouldn't be charged more just because they had closer seats. Well now that their "philosophy" about ticket prices have changed, why haven't their ideas of bracketing changed?? Why is everyone being charged $92, which the band is pretty much saying is acceptable for the nosebleed seats??? It's not acceptable!! Do the fans a favor!

If you guys want/need to be more expensive, fine! But bring back the affordable tiers for tickets Pearl Jam!!
  • edited March 2010
    pjl44 wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

Your "facts" leave out a lot of crucial differences between then and now. I'm not sure what you consider their "heyday," but they're selling tickets every bit as furiously now as they have at any point.
    no they dont. they couldnt sell out anywhere near the venues they could back in the day. the demand is almost as high right now only because they play half the shows.
    pjl44 wrote:
    Much of this probably has to do with the evolution of internet ticketing. With the exception of MSG 03, no one ever got shut out of 10C tickets when they had to pony up cash for money orders rather than just putting it on a credit card. The internet has also made it easier to scoop up tix during a general sale then throw them up on the secondary market. If Pearl Jam tix were still $50, how would the band and crew feel about MORE tickets winding up on the secondary market at EXACTLY the same price they're going for now. Congratulations on creating a larger profit margin for scalpers.

I'll ask for the third time...

How much should they be charging for tickets? If it's significantly lower, what does that do to your chances of getting your hands on one for face value? How many more would wind up on the secondary market?
    the price doesnt have anything to do with secondary market. probably have about the same number of people scalping.the only way a lower price would make it harder to get is because people could then afford to go to more than one show.

they can charge what they want, i just hate that people keep rationalizing it and still try to maintain its because of costs when its clearly not. they like money. if people have a problem with that, oh well. maybe they will say "oh shit! you're right! we've been acting like the people we hate!" or they will say "yeah well, things change. we were stupid when we were younger."
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • edited March 2010
    Jeanwah wrote:
    This is what I want to know...an old philosophy of PJ's (along with keeping prices low) was to charge one price for tickets regardless of where you're sitting, because they believed that fans shouldn't be charged more just because they had closer seats. Well now that their "philosophy" about ticket prices have changed, why haven't their ideas of bracketing changed?? Why is everyone being charged $92, which the band is pretty much saying is acceptable for the nosebleed seats??? It's not acceptable!! Do the fans a favor!

If you guys want/need to be more expensive, fine! But bring back the affordable tiers for tickets Pearl Jam!!
    yeah thats a good idea to me too. that much to sit in the back is crazy. they are basically subsidizing the cost of front row tix with back row ticket buyers.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • igotpjigotpj Posts: 187
    choop wrote:
    ticket purchase this week in my world...

pearl jam - 10c tix about $80 per. ok.
    phish lottery tix - about $55 per.. ok

kings of leon tickets ... $71... fuck that.

i now feel better about pj's price.

$71 for KOL !?!? :lol::lol: That is crazy. I saw them once and it was a complete waste of time. In my book, they rank as one of the worst bands on stage ever. Good music but boring onstage.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Charlotte(10-4-96)
    Raleigh(8-31-98)
    Greensboro(8-6-00)
    Raleigh(4-15-03), Las Vegas(6-6-03)
    Boston(9-28-04),Toledo(10-2-04),Asheville(10-6-04)
    Pittsburgh(6-24-06)
    Columbia (6-16-08)
    Austin (10-4-09), Philadelphia (10-28-09, 10-30-09, 10-31-09)
    Lawn tickets in Indy are $39 including fees.. :D Oh yeah, I forgot.. The show will be better in New York because it cost more... :roll:
  • If prices increasing to $92.50 covers all the aforementioned intangibles, then why are shirts that cost $5 bucks to make $35, etc?
    I guess what it boils down to is that going to a show(s) after you consider transportation, lodging, tickets , having a couple drinks and maybe picking up a souvenir here and there, is getting to the point where blue collar fans can't comfortably afford to do so. The same applies to going to a sporting event with your kids, eating at a nice restaurant, buying new clothes, whatever........Things are moving into the direction where they are more-so affordable to the wealthy "elite" part of society and the little guy is constantly getting weeded out.
    "he who forgets-will be destined to remember"
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Get serious.

Tom Petty wants $150 and you to buy a digital download of his mojo album. U2 soaked me for $275 bucks X 3 tickets.

What do you do? What exactly is your wage? Why are you worth it? Would you like to make a little more? If you do... well... green disease... yup... it appears to be a case of green disease.

Fukin people. Stay at home bitches. Pearl Jam is keeps their tickets lower than most- and most are not worth seeing. Do you consider them a bunch of shitbaggers that you should only pay a nickel to see? If so... don't go. And save your bitching for your colleagues and wife regarding how unfair life is.
    Muse was only $50, and they have one of the most complex light shows and stage set-ups going these days. I don't see why PJ would need to charge $92 bucks for a ticket when they don't have half of what Muse has stage-wise.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
    Put $2.00 a day into a Pearl Jam fund, do this every day for a year.

Go to as many shows as you want......

We can now close this thread.
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    Get serious.

Tom Petty wants $150 and you to buy a digital download of his mojo album. U2 soaked me for $275 bucks X 3 tickets.

What do you do? What exactly is your wage? Why are you worth it? Would you like to make a little more? If you do... well... green disease... yup... it appears to be a case of green disease.

Fukin people. Stay at home bitches. Pearl Jam is keeps their tickets lower than most- and most are not worth seeing. Do you consider them a bunch of shitbaggers that you should only pay a nickel to see? If so... don't go. And save your bitching for your colleagues and wife regarding how unfair life is.
    Muse was only $50, and they have one of the most complex light shows and stage set-ups going these days. I don't see why PJ would need to charge $92 bucks for a ticket when they don't have half of what Muse has stage-wise.

Muse charges $50 because they don't have the fanbase to support $92 tickets.. Probably have 20 percent of the fanbase Pearl Jam has.. Pearl Jam is an American Institution.. Check the prices on Rolling Stones, Dylan, Clapton, Springsteen, Petty... Then see how "over-priced" Pearl Jam tickets are.. When you have second and going on 3rd generations of fans, the demand far exceeds supply...
  • slingsling Posts: 169
    edited March 2010
    MrSmith wrote:

I don't get why things have to be so "either/or" and "on one side of the fence or the other". Opinions are generally a lot more nuanced than that. I would guess that a lot of people agree with some of the things that you write while also disagreeing with some stuff. PJ can like money, (who doesn't, really? Even if it's to give to charity) but that doesn't mean that they're evil & don't care one bit about their fans.

I still haven't heard a good explanation for why some tickets are less than 30 bucks before service charges if PJ is only out to screw everybody as much as possible & supply/demand aren't any factor.

Pointing out the reasons behind things is not rationalizing them. Yes, expenses can enter in... That orchestra I play in has had their ticket prices almost double in 10 years, & the tickets only cover 18-20% of their expenses. (with the players making well below union wages) Supply/demand can enter in... & enjoying making money can enter in too... Why can't it be a combination of all 3?

I do agree that $92 is too much for seats in the rafters. But as long as people keep snapping those tickets up, there's little reason for them to lower the prices. I personally would rather go to 1 PJ show than 5 from mediocre bands, so the value is still there for me.

I think we can all agree that yes, it would be nice if tickets cost less than $92. And yes, it would have been nice if PJ didn't have to play at the Target Sales Conference. But that's life. Whateva...
    Post edited by sling on
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    bhigh901 wrote:

Muse charges $50 because they don't have the fanbase to support $92 tickets.. Probably have 20 percent of the fanbase Pearl Jam has.. Pearl Jam is an American Institution.. Check the prices on Rolling Stones, Dylan, Clapton, Springsteen, Petty... Then see how "over-priced" Pearl Jam tickets are.. When you have second and going on 3rd generations of fans, the demand far exceeds supply...

i know you won't reply to this but no matter.

Muse outsell Pj in the UK easily... and i mean easily... both in record sales and in concert sales.

Muse are playing Wembley Stadium which holds 60-70k and sold out in hours... PJ played Wembley Arena which holds 10-13k.

Muse tickets in the UK are still lower in price than those of PJ... PJ at London O2 were $90 each. Muse are about $50.

So with your own post in mind please explain why it isnt the reverse... why are PJ tickets not lower in the UK/Europe than those of Muse who outsell PJ in all respects. :?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    bhigh901 wrote:
    Back_Pedal wrote:

Muse charges $50 because they don't have the fanbase to support $92 tickets.. Probably have 20 percent of the fanbase Pearl Jam has...

you have basically admitted that PJ price them so high simply because they have a large fan base and can then rely on their wealthier fanbase to pick up the high cost of tickets... If Muse can do a fucking light show as amazing as theirs and pay their way and still make a nice bit of money for themselves when tickets cost $50 then why can't PJ... they have no lasers and lights shows... the simple fact is is that PJ know their fans will pay whatever it costs and secondly they dont shift the units like they used to... so they make more money by charging for it.

Muse at $50 is almost a free concert... their show is insanely good... PJ's show is more about the variation and the oneness of the audience, but we should all realise they charge $92 because they know some of us will pay it.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:

Muse outsell Pj in the UK easily... and i mean easily... both in record sales and in concert sales.

Muse are playing Wembley Stadium which holds 60-70k and sold out in hours... PJ played Wembley Arena which holds 10-13k.

Muse tickets in the UK are still lower in price than those of PJ... PJ at London O2 were $90 each. Muse are about $50.

So with your own post in mind please explain why it isnt the reverse... why are PJ tickets not lower in the UK/Europe than those of Muse who outsell PJ in all respects. :?

Your info is a little off there...

Muse at wembley stadium is £49.50

Pearl jam in Belfast is £41.50 and Hard Rock Calling is £52.25 (more support acts i guess) so its roughly the same but yeah Muse sell a lot more then PJ in both respects.

The UK markets seems to keep prices more or less the same. When ever i have gone to the MEN in Manchester i have always paid around £45 for the ticket no matter who was playing. So ticket prices for the Uk have always been around the standard market price.
    dunkman wrote:

Pearl jam in Belfast is £41.50 and Hard Rock Calling is £52.25 (more support acts i guess) so its roughly the same but yeah Muse sell a lot more then PJ in both respects.

The UK markets seems to keep prices more or less the same. When ever i have gone to the MEN in Manchester i have always paid around £45 for the ticket no matter who was playing. So ticket prices for the Uk have always been around the standard market price.

I didnt realise they were playing it again!! i was going by 2007's prices which were much cheaper than PJs 2007 prices (considering their stage set-up)

http://www.musewiki.org/London_Wembley_ ... _%28gig%29
  • dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

I didnt realise they were playing it again!! i was going by 2007's prices which were much cheaper than PJs 2007 prices (considering their stage set-up)

http://www.musewiki.org/London_Wembley_ ... _%28gig%29

wow your right. Their prices have jumped from £37.50 to £49.50 in two years! big jump up. Then again £37.50 for a gig in wembley stadium is pretty damn cheap, even by 2007 standards i think. Yeah the Pearl Jam wembly arena show was more expensive then that.
    dunkman wrote:
    bhigh901 wrote:

Nobody cares about the UK... I am a White Male American... (Please detect my sarcasm) $92 for a Pearl Jam ticket at Madsion Square Garden is very reasonable... Do they not deserve to make a living? Should they sell them for $30 and let the scalpers sell them for $300? So Muse played Wembley and the door take was 3.5million and pj played the O2 and the take was 900,000-1.2million. So by your own facts you can see why the price is higher... If PJ played an outdoor Stadium they could do $40-$50 tickets.. but then the show would be so much less intimate..
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    The ticket price is not totally based on supply/demand. The fact that the secondary market exists proves that the ticket is below market value.

Most businesses aren't too concerned with credibilty, so as long as their is a market for their products, they will try to maximize their sales.

In PJ's case, they are caught in the middle.....they could charge a much higher price, but that would really drive away some fans who can't afford the high price. Also, they would drive away some fans who question their credibilty due to the fact that it appears as if they are charging true market value.

The current ticket prices look as if they are based on a hybrid of market value, affordability and credibility.

The band could charge less, but they'd be leaving money on the table, so I think they have found a good middle ground.
This discussion has been closed.