The official $92.05 is Too much Thread

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    polaris_x wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    a:) PJ isnt in the same league/demo as any of those bands you mentioned, save maybe Iron MAiden. that is not an apples to apples comparison. bands similar to PJ charge around the same or less, but not because of expenses, but because they can. they've already been listed here earlier so go read the thread.
    b:)Phish charged $50. perhaps they only broke even, but to say PJ couldnt make a profit on less than 90$ is insane.
    c:) why does Petre Gabriel charge 200 dollars? why does Tom Petty charge 134$? because of expenses? fuck no, because they want to make more money. same with PJ. its ok.

are you kidding me? you think Iron Maiden is in the same league as PJ? ... i know you are extremely bitter person right now as it relates to PJ but that is absurd ... i don't see iron maiden on conan or snl ...

was Phish playing MSG? ... that's my point in terms of apples to apples ... the venue rental fee is a huge consideration in discussing ticket price ... please point me to other bands who have charged less playing MSG ... i'm pretty sure if you put all the bands out there - PJ is gonna be on the lower end of the scale ... but apparently that isn't good enuf for a lot of y'all on here ...

Iron maiden has been around much longer then PJ, and they have never been too bothered about promoting themselves to the mainstream. On a worldwide level, Maiden is a much bigger draw then PJ.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    ComeToTX wrote:
    BF25394 wrote:
    The majority of the people here are trying to explain that a few years ago when a ticket was $55, their expenses were less. Now in 2010, they have more expenses so that extra $20 is paying for additional expenses. For you people living in 'reality'...just a reminder, that's called inflation. Last I checked, it's pretty real.

I'm not saying the band isnt making more money than they did in the past, it's just pretty obvious that expenses for a band are very different than they were 5-10 yrs ago.

The inflation rate is actually pretty low. What cost $55 in 2000 costs about $68 today.

For the win!
    Actually, I think they kinda helped support my point, thanks. Things cost more now than they did in 2000. it's that simple. LEss concerts = demand is up. How hard is this for people to understand?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Weren't there other dates/venues with similar prices? It's not just MSG.

in checking ticketbastard ... they are $69/$49 in some other venues ...

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/05004 ... orcatid=60

i didn't check them all ...

i know phish is selling their tickets for $50 but i also saw on their setlist for msg last year they only played 16 songs in total ... not sure how long the concert was ... anyone know how much the ticket was last year for phish at msg? how long they played? was their an opening act?
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    ComeToTX wrote:
    BF25394 wrote:
    The inflation rate is actually pretty low. What cost $55 in 2000 costs about $68 today.

For the win!
    Actually, I think they kinda helped support my point, thanks. Things cost more now than they did in 2000. it's that simple. LEss concerts = demand is up. How hard is this for people to understand?

Except that ticket prices were $40-$50 all fees included in 2003.
    hippiemom = goodness
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Iron maiden has been around much longer then PJ, and they have never been too bothered about promoting themselves to the mainstream. On a worldwide level, Maiden is a much bigger draw then PJ.

so ... they don't promote themselves but they are bigger than PJ!?? ... so, if tickets were the same price for both bands and seats were unlimited - you are telling me that more people would show up to listen/watch iron maiden than PJ in NY? ... heck anywhere in the world?
  • polaris_x wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    a:) PJ isnt in the same league/demo as any of those bands you mentioned, save maybe Iron MAiden. that is not an apples to apples comparison. bands similar to PJ charge around the same or less, but not because of expenses, but because they can. they've already been listed here earlier so go read the thread.
    b:)Phish charged $50. perhaps they only broke even, but to say PJ couldnt make a profit on less than 90$ is insane.
    c:) why does Petre Gabriel charge 200 dollars? why does Tom Petty charge 134$? because of expenses? fuck no, because they want to make more money. same with PJ. its ok.

are you kidding me? you think Iron Maiden is in the same league as PJ? ... i know you are extremely bitter person right now as it relates to PJ but that is absurd ... i don't see iron maiden on conan or snl ...
    i said maybe. i wouldnt put PJ at the same popularity or age group as any of the bands you mentioned, even Iron Maiden. metalheads will always show up for an Iron Maiden concert.
    polaris_x wrote:
    was Phish playing MSG? ... that's my point in terms of apples to apples ... the venue rental fee is a huge consideration in discussing ticket price ... please point me to other bands who have charged less playing MSG ... i'm pretty sure if you put all the bands out there - PJ is gonna be on the lower end of the scale ... but apparently that isn't good enuf for a lot of y'all on here ...
    i said 90 but should have said 75. that was in Boston. same venue, PJ charged 75$, not ninety.

and for the one hundredth time, they can charge what they want, it a free country, but this has almost nothing to do with expenses.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    MrSmith wrote:
    STOP BLAMING THE RISE IN TICKET PRICES ON EXPENSES WHEN MANY OTHER BANDS CHARGE FAR FAR LESS! YOU ARE LYING TO YOURSELF.

Some bands charge less, some charge more. This isnt about other bands. Obviously, we cant compare prices when we're throwing around Iron Maiden, Peter Gabriel, and Tom Petty. They are all different, with different demographics. This means nothing to the current argument.

And you can't tell me that GASoline cost$ the same today as it did in 2000. How do you think they get their huge bussloads/planeloads of gear from state to state.. it doesnt magically appear everywhere they go. ;) Maybe expenses arent the sole reason for costs going up, but there is no trend EVER that will show that ticket prices will steadily fall over time.

less concerts = demand is up.

In addition here is something for you all to think about...bands actually made a tiny bit of money on albums a few years back... not anymore.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • polaris_x wrote:

i know phish is selling their tickets for $50 but i also saw on their setlist for msg last year they only played 16 songs in total ... not sure how long the concert was ... anyone know how much the ticket was last year for phish at msg? how long they played? was their an opening act?
    16 Phish songs could last a day and a half if they wanted. no sure though.
    MrSmith wrote:
    they didnt have one but played two sets i believe. plus 16 Phish songs could last a day and a half if they wanted. no sure though.

well ... there are probably a handful of bands that you can say charge cheaper ... which still puts them on the low end of the ticket price scale ... is $79 too much? ... sure, for someone who can't afford it ... but you can't say it's good value compared to all the other bands ... a guy on my baseball team pretty much goes to every single concert (mainly to hit on young women) and PJ was by far the best concert he saw last year and it was one of the cheaper tickets ...
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    average phish show runs about 165-175 minutes on stage. they take about a 30-40 minute setbreak in the middle
  • i wonder what the ticket comparisons were back in the 90s. compared to Chili Peppers or Nirvana, or big established bands like Metallica or U2.

cant remember.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    In addition here is something for you all to think about...bands actually made a tiny bit of money on albums a few years back... not anymore.

Didn't PJ make $ 5 million upfront from Backspacer ? ;) That doesn't include sales from their website, indy stores, or itunes.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    polaris_x wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

so ... they don't promote themselves but they are bigger than PJ!?? ... so, if tickets were the same price for both bands and seats were unlimited - you are telling me that more people would show up to listen/watch iron maiden than PJ in NY? ... heck anywhere in the world?

PJ may have the edge in the U.S., but in the rest of the world, Maiden would easily outdraw PJ.

Maiden can fill stadiums in almost any country. In 2008, they sold-out a 50,000 seat stadium in London...it was their own headlining show, not a festival.
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    PJ may have the edge in the U.S., but in the rest of the world, Maiden would easily outdraw PJ.

Maiden can fill stadiums in almost any country. In 2008, they sold-out a 50,000 seat stadium in London...it was their own headlining show, not a festival.

well, they are from london ... but you think they would outdraw PJ in:

canada? australia? south america? germany?
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    polaris_x wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

well, they are from london ... but you think they would outdraw PJ in:

canada? australia? south america? germany?

Yes
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    polaris_x wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    STOP BLAMING THE RISE IN TICKET PRICES ON EXPENSES WHEN MANY OTHER BANDS CHARGE FAR FAR LESS! YOU ARE LYING TO YOURSELF.

but at least compare apples to apples - here are some other concerts at MSG with top end ticket price (PJ is flat at $79):

Tom Petty: $134.50
    Peter Gabriel: $199.50
    New Kids on the Block: $99.50
    Lady Gaga: $179.50
    Iron Maiden: $84.50

every single one is more expensive then PJ

edit: cuss! justin bieber is like $69.50 but you have to join his Fan Club for $45 cussin' dollars!

Polaris, can you also list how much the nosebleed seats are for these acts also? People forget that most acts have price tiers whereas Pearl Jam does not. That $80 price tag is also for the worst seats in the house, when the acts you mention most likely charge less for those seats.
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Polaris, can you also list how much the nosebleed seats are for these acts also? People forget that most acts have price tiers whereas Pearl Jam does not. That $92 price tag is also for the worst seats in the house, when the acts you mention most likely charge less for those seats.

hey ... hope you are well!

in comparing the apples to apples (ie less service charges - it's actually $79) ... sorry, i don't have the time to go thru all the prices as in some cases - they had 4 tiers of prices ... for the most part, the ones that did have a tiered pricing - there bottom ticket price was below $79 but not by a huge amount ... if you took all the seats and all the ticket prices and averaged out a ticket ... i'm pretty sure PJ would come in below all those acts ...

i'll post tom petty for you tho .. :)

$134.50
    $103.50
    $79.50
    $54.00

edit: here is the link where people can pick a show and see how much tickets are ... http://www.thegarden.com/tickets/?event_type=1
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842
    whatever man

this is so tired
    yes, it could be less
    yes, it could be more
    middle price point, right in between the expensive acts and the cheap acts

With the exception of radiohead, all the other lower priced bands mentioned need to keep their prices lower so that they can fill arenas
    Those that know they can sell out MSG in a minute price their tickets higher than PJ

and as long as people get music for free, then I wont begrudge the band (which puts more heart and soul into a show than almost any other act) for charging what they charge.
  • marshmelimarshmeli Posts: 31
    polaris_x wrote:

The MSG shows from last year were 2.8, 2.8 and 2.9 hours long (of music, not including the 25-30 min set break they took). There was no opener, but also not a single repeated song at any of the shows.

5 songs can be 1.5 hours long with Phish, they have played some stellar 40+ minutes version of You Enjoy Myself in the past

and when comparing other bands who were playing MSG , they have different prices for different seats so Petty has a range of $134-54 each...
    -Mike
    twitter.com/marshmeli
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    polaris_x wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:
    For the record I usually go to about 20 shows a year... from clubs to Stadiums. I can't remember the last time I spent $92 on a ticket. Actually I can, it was probably PJ at the Spectrum. Before that it was probably PJ at the Garden 08... I've already bought about 10 shows for 2010. PJ MSG being the most expensive. More expensive than DMB and Petty who are next in line.

Prob the only show I'll go to that will cost this much in 2010 will be if the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac tour together... I don't even think Sting solo costs this much.

just looked up tom petty at MSG ... the top end ticket is $134.50 not including surcharges and tax ...

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1D004 ... n=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=madison%20square%20garden&__utmv=-&__utmk=164748156

what's your point? My point is I'll be seeing PJ at MSG from far away for $92.05. I'll be seeing Petty at MSG from far away for $68...
    polaris_x wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

but at least compare apples to apples - here are some other concerts at MSG with top end ticket price (PJ is flat at $79):

edit: cuss! justin bieber is like $69.50 but you have to join his Fan Club for $45 cussin' dollars!

You should work for the government in Cuba or China with disinformation like that... why don't you report the low end of their price ranges...?
    stranger34 wrote:
    what's your point? My point is I'll be seeing PJ at MSG from far away for $92.05. I'll be seeing Petty at MSG from far away for $68...

well ... my point is that i'll be seeing PJ from fairly close for $87 while if i wanted the same seat for tom petty it would be $150 ... a difference of $63 compared to your variance of $24 ...

soo ... would you be happier if PJ offered a tier ticket pricing structure? ... what is it? ... they will be charging less on average ticket price than tom petty so i think your argument that they are the most expensive concert is a bit misleading ...
    MrSmith wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

those are all premium prices... I'd be willing to bet most of those ascts offer tickets lower than PJ. I know for a fact Petty does cause I bought them...
    stranger34 wrote:
    You should work for the government in Cuba or China with disinformation like that... why don't you report the low end of their price ranges...?

why didn't you list the top end when you compared to tom petty?

i responded to jeanwah and listed tom petty's tiered pricing ... only their cheapest of their 4 tickets were less than PJ ... and i stated in my post that was the top end price ... where is their disinformation? ...
    stranger34 wrote:
    those are all premium prices... I'd be willing to bet most of those ascts offer tickets lower than PJ. I know for a fact Petty does cause I bought them...

i dare you to average out the ticket prices of all those acts and see who comes up cheapest ... see my post to jeanwah that listed tom petty's prices ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

well ... my point is that i'll be seeing PJ from fairly close for $87 while if i wanted the same seat for tom petty it would be $150 ... a difference of $63 compared to your variance of $24 ...

soo ... would you be happier if PJ offered a tier ticket pricing structure? ... what is it? ... they will be charging less on average ticket price than tom petty so i think your argument that they are the most expensive concert is a bit misleading ...

My point is if you don't get lucky through 10 Club or Ticketmaster then PJ will probably cost you more than just about anyone else.

granted, if you get 10C tickets PJ is still a very good deal. but that's a big IF...

also judging by your posts in this thread I don't think you have a great handle on this. Phish played MSG and the whole arena was sold at $50 face...
    stranger34 wrote:
    My point is if you don't get lucky through 10 Club or Ticketmaster then PJ will probably cost you more than just about anyone else.

granted, if you get 10C tickets PJ is still a very good deal. but that's a big IF...

also judging by your posts in this thread I don't think you have a great handle on this. Phish played MSG and the whole arena was sold at $50 face...

again ... average out the ticket prices ... you have ONE band that is cheaper at MSG ... they play about the same length of time as PJ when you factor in their breaks and they had no opening act ... opening acts have to get paid ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

i dare you to average out the ticket prices of all those acts and see who comes up cheapest ... see my post to jeanwah that listed tom petty's prices ...

you would need to have an accurate breakdown of how many seats were being offered at what price to do that...

besides most people would have trouble getting those premium seats that are expensive no matter how much they cost. Most average people get stuck with bad seats at concerts. With PJ they get bad seats at a bad price...
    soo ... cuz phish charges less than PJ they have green disease ... is that the handle i'm supposed to get?
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    edited March 2010
    Can someone please remind me when Tom Petty, Lady Gaga, New Kids on the block, Iron Maiden, or any of these other bands use to publicly state a need to keep ticket prices down?

Have any of them ever gotten on top of their high horse and berated other bands for charging so much?

If they have never done that, then none of them compare to Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam put themselves out there through their actions and words in the past and now they are silent as they change their actions.

If you hate something, don't you do it too
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.