The official $92.05 is Too much Thread

Comments

• merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Keep in mind, they are doing much smaller tours these days. If you're only playing 20-30 shows a year, tix are going to be more to keep the staffing up. Money goes to the touring crew too. These guys must be on a full time payroll for the amount of time they've stayed with the band.

Most of the other bands listed tour way more often than PJ, and in more cities (whether we like it or not). Doing so those bands can keep their prices lower, the overall net gain for the whole tour will be higher cause they are selling more overall tickets per tour.

And besides? It's not like they aren't moving at this price. You think that it would be any easier to get tickets at $40 a pop? You'd still have people reselling them in the $100's, so I don't begrudge PJ for taking some of that aftermarket for themselves.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    knowcode10 wrote:
    Why do so many people post on a message for a band and all they do is complain?

Click on some folks' names, see their posts, and they are all complaints.

I'm no sheep, but I don't join a place where all I'm going to do is complain either.

Have to say I am guilty of this and I agree with you.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Another perspective...
    Do you not think Pearl Jam deserves it?

I think they do. What are there, 6-7 billion people on the planet? Five guys out of that 7 billion come together and you see them maybe once a year, pay each of those guys Five dollars an hour to make the most beautiful music on the planet. geesh. I guess i'm just a sheep for actually appreciating something that is amazing and not bitching about a 5-10 dollar difference between that and a depeche mode show. It's just silly.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • UncleNeilUncleNeil Posts: 120
    stranger34 wrote:
    He actually did bold Neil specifically which I don't have the price for. It's possible that the Neil show was more, but I think I paid under $90 total to see Neil at MSG... but it's possible I paid more.

nonetheless. that would be a small battle won by the PJ apologists, but the war on this front is won.

Yes, it was hard to notice in the quot.

Neil played MSG in 2008 also and tix were $130+ and up to $250.
    Bridge Benefit 99, 01, 03, 04 (EV), 06
    Las Vegas 03, 06, MSG I & II - 2008
    Halloween Philadelphia, MSG II 2010
  • i got idi got id Posts: 867
    If Pearl Jam can consistently sell out 10-15 dates a year, why should they lower prices? If they lowered prices to even $60, I guarantee you would see even more tickets being scalped. I have no problem with them taking the cut.

Also, does anyone here know how much money they actually pocket from this? After accounting for the venue's cut, support staff, infrastructure, etc. I know the last tour or two, someone posted rough percentages and it's significantly less than you'd think
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    merkinball wrote:
    Keep in mind, they are doing much smaller tours these days. If you're only playing 20-30 shows a year, tix are going to be more to keep the staffing up. Money goes to the touring crew too. These guys must be on a full time payroll for the amount of time they've stayed with the band.

Most of the other bands listed tour way more often than PJ, and in more cities (whether we like it or not). Doing so those bands can keep their prices lower, the overall net gain for the whole tour will be higher cause they are selling more overall tickets per tour.

And besides? It's not like they aren't moving at this price. You think that it would be any easier to get tickets at $40 a pop? You'd still have people reselling them in the $100's, so I don't begrudge PJ for taking some of that aftermarket for themselves.

this is another great point Merkinball.
    I agree, also if the tickets were cheaper, it would be harder to get better seats as more people would be buying them up faster.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • PrlJmr10PrlJmr10 Posts: 130
    jets521 wrote:
    you people are unbelievable.

if you are going to bitch about the ticket prices then DONT BUY EM

seriously - this is STILL a free country (at present) and you do have the choice to not purchase/go - quitchurbitchin!!!!!!
    PEARL JAM - It's what's for breakfast

"Promise only what you can deliver. Then deliver more than you promise."
    --Anonymous

The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them. -Patrick Henry, revolutionary (1736-1799)
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    UncleNeil wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:
    He actually did bold Neil specifically which I don't have the price for. It's possible that the Neil show was more, but I think I paid under $90 total to see Neil at MSG... but it's possible I paid more.

nonetheless. that would be a small battle won by the PJ apologists, but the war on this front is won.

Yes, it was hard to notice in the quot.

Neil played MSG in 2008 also and tix were $130+ and up to $250.

FALSE

I just looked it up. My tickets were $75 Face and I forgot... Wilco opened.
    Another perspective...

I think they do. What are there, 6-7 billion people on the planet? Five guys out of that 7 billion come together and you see them maybe once a year, pay each of those guys Five dollars an hour to make the most beautiful music on the planet. geesh. I guess i'm just a sheep for actually appreciating something that is amazing and not bitching about a 5-10 dollar difference between that and a depeche mode show. It's just silly.

Wonderful, but this has nothing to do with PJ betraying their own stated principles and many of their fans blindly defending them baselessly
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    i got id wrote:
    If Pearl Jam can consistently sell out 10-15 dates a year, why should they lower prices? If they lowered prices to even $60, I guarantee you would see even more tickets being scalped. I have no problem with them taking the cut.

Also, does anyone here know how much money they actually pocket from this? After accounting for the venue's cut, support staff, infrastructure, etc. I know the last tour or two, someone posted rough percentages and it's significantly less than you'd think

Wait? So this isn't what it looks like at 10c headquarters after a ticket sale?
    scrooge-mcduck-make-it-rain.jpg
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • teemanteeman Posts: 337
    knowcode10 wrote:
    Why do so many people post on a message for a band and all they do is complain?

Click on some folks' names, see their posts, and they are all complaints.

I'm no sheep, but I don't join a place where all I'm going to do is complain either.

Have to say I am guilty of this and I agree with you.

I guess the Cos is very self-aware!

It's my own damn fault for reading this board when I should be working.
  • Stranger... "the war on this front is won"... ?

The only thing that has been won- or better yet... proven- is that there are people in the neighbourhood... in the neighbourhood... in the nayboorhood

that are useless. I listen to you at work. I listen to you on forums. I listen to you in line-ups. "Everything is the shits. Why can't it be like this? Why do they have to be like that? Blah blah blah!"

Complain about everything. Bitter angry people and why? I asked you what you did for a living and what you made. You never responded. I guess it's safe to assume that you probably make more than what you are truly worth- forcing good people to pay higher costs for whatever product you have a part of manufacturing or service you are providing! Man... where are your principles?

I go to a ton of concerts like everyone else. I was at Metallica, U2, Neil Young, Roger Waters, Dave Matthews a bunch of times, blah blah blah. Their prices are comparable. The last thing I would ever think about doing is running to my stash of stubs and getting upset because PJ charged 5 more dollars than (laughing) the Goo Goo Dolls. OMG. seriously. Wow. You should be embarassed about right now.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Ok, they are increasing ticket prices right, but what is up the 11$ ticketbastard charge? Now that is some bulllshit!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    Stranger... "the war on this front is won"... ?

The only thing that has been won- or better yet... proven- is that there are people in the neighbourhood... in the neighbourhood... in the nayboorhood

that are useless. I listen to you at work. I listen to you on forums. I listen to you in line-ups. "Everything is the shits. Why can't it be like this? Why do they have to be like that? Blah blah blah!"

Complain about everything. Bitter angry people and why? I asked you what you did for a living and what you made. You never responded. I guess it's safe to assume that you probably make more than what you are truly worth- forcing good people to pay higher costs for whatever product you have a part of manufacturing or service you are providing! Man... where are your principles?

I go to a ton of concerts like everyone else. I was at Metallica, U2, Neil Young, Roger Waters, Dave Matthews a bunch of times, blah blah blah. Their prices are comparable. The last thing I would ever think about doing is running to my stash of stubs and getting upset because PJ charged 5 more dollars than (laughing) the Goo Goo Dolls. OMG. seriously. Wow. You should be embarassed about right now.

:lol:

i believe the term is "pwned"
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22

They charged $45 more dollars than the Goo Goo Dolls
  • teemanteeman Posts: 337
    stranger34 wrote:

I would pay to keep the Goo Goo Dolls from coming to my town.
    stranger34 wrote:

Why should I tell you how much I make and what I do for a living? It has zero to do with anything and it's a low brow attempt by you to change the subject.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    Once again, a lot of conveniently wrong prices (with some correct). I'll repost what I posted in the last forum about ticket prices. Not sure about Neil Young, but that Depeche Mode assertion is definitely wrong. I skipped them last tour because a comparable ticket to a 10C ticket was $125 (pavilion seating at Great Woods). I'd also like to reiterate the simple economics:

If they cut the prices of shows that are selling out already, it will be exponentially harder for you to get into the door at all. Scalper prices won't come down because it's market driven. Thus, it's more money in the scalpers' pockets vs. the band, crew, promoter, etc. Until Pearl Jam becomes less popular, the ticket prices are not going down. Not greed...simple economics.

For comparison, these are all shows with comparable seating. The prices are correct because I'm staring at the ticket stubs (or order confirmations)...includes all fees...face value cost out the door...

Tom Petty, Comcast Center, August 2010, $87
    Pearl Jam, TD Garden, May 2010, $85
    Muse, TD Garden, March 2010, $75
    Tool, Verizon Wireless Arena, August 2009, $62
    Metallica, TD Garden, January 2009, $95
    Radiohead, Tweeter Center, August 2008, $73
    Rush, Tweeter Center, June 2008, $82
    R.E.M., Tweeter Center, June 2008, $90
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    stranger34 wrote:
    Another perspective...

Wonderful, but this has nothing to do with PJ betraying their own stated principles and many of their fans blindly defending them baselessly

STFU! Why do you hold these guys up on some flawless pedestal? Its so naive its not even funny. I'm not "defending" Pearl Jam, but they have a right to make whatever living they want. If they want to make sure their kid's kid's future is financially secure its their goddamn right to. If they want to make sure they pay their crew well its their goddamn right to. If they know they are one of the greatest rock bands to ever form they have a goddamn right to charge accordingly. They don't owe you anything. I love how people call us sheep for being realists. Grow up, Gen X "stick it to the man" has, you should too.
    pjl44 wrote:
    Once again, a lot of conveniently wrong prices (with some correct). I'll repost what I posted in the last forum about ticket prices. Not sure about Neil Young, but that Depeche Mode assertion is definitely wrong. I skipped them last tour because a comparable ticket to a 10C ticket was $125 (pavilion seating at Great Woods). I'd also like to reiterate the simple economics:

If they cut the prices of shows that are selling out already, it will be exponentially harder for you to get into the door at all. Scalper prices won't come down because it's market driven. Thus, it's more money in the scalpers' pockets vs. the band, crew, promoter, etc. Until Pearl Jam becomes less popular, the ticket prices are not going down. Not greed...simple economics.

For comparison, these are all shows with comparable seating. The prices are correct because I'm staring at the ticket stubs (or order confirmations)...includes all fees...face value cost out the door...

Tom Petty, Comcast Center, August 2010, $87
    Pearl Jam, TD Garden, May 2010, $85
    Muse, TD Garden, March 2010, $75
    Tool, Verizon Wireless Arena, August 2009, $62
    Metallica, TD Garden, January 2009, $95
    Radiohead, Tweeter Center, August 2008, $73
    Rush, Tweeter Center, June 2008, $82
    R.E.M., Tweeter Center, June 2008, $90

I didn't list a depeche mode price and those prices ARE EXACT. I never said they were all comparable seating... PJ usually uses a flat rate... If you want to make this about COMPARABLE 10C SEATING thats a totally different argument filled with all sorts of nuances.

this is about how much it would cost me to see PJ vs ______
    You can see just about anybody cheaper than you can see PJ these days. Not everyone needs VIP seating. My favorite concert ever was the Cure from the 400s at MSG and I'm sure that ticket was about $30 less than it would cost to see PJ at MSG in the 400s
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    SolarWorld wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:
    Another perspective...

STFU! Why do you hold these guys up on some flawless pedestal? Its so naive its not even funny. I'm not "defending" Pearl Jam, but they have a right to make whatever living they want. If they want to make sure their kid's kid's future is financially secure its their goddamn right to. If they want to make sure they pay their crew well its their goddamn right to. If they know they are one of the greatest rock bands to ever form they have a goddamn right to charge accordingly. They don't owe you anything. I love how people call us sheep for being realists. Grow up, Gen X "stick it to the man" has, you should too.

Why do you hold them on some godly pedestal? We are the realists.
    SolarWorld wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:
    Another perspective...

Well because the band made this an issue, If Morrissey decided to go around eating Big Mac's this might be an issue with his fan base... no?
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    Worth every penny still.

I'll never forgive myself for paying 70 quid a few years ago to see that circus u2 put on. Put everything in perspective. That gig was shit and I really like u2s music. So sure you cab keep their 'overheads' as they totally detract from the show
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Worth every penny still.

At the end of the day....you're right.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    I wish someone would actually take a look at this site which shows average concert prices over the last 12 months for just about every band / musician. The costs do not include TM fees, add on's, etc.

http://www.pollstar.com/atpDetail.aspx?SearchBy=P

Here's a list of some bands mentioned in this thread:

Green Day 44.86
    Dave Matthews Band 52.99
    Tool 53.75
    Pearl Jam 59.34
    Depeche Mode 64.29
    Metallica 65.01
    Neil Young 66.95
    U2 93.77

Now, if you take the average of these prices, it comes out to be $62.62. Pearl Jam's average price is $59.34, so aren't their shows moderately priced when compared to similar bands?!?!
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Why do you hold them on some godly pedestal? We are the realists.

I hold them on the pedestal of they can do whatever they want with their own careers and lives after giving me a lifetime of great music. Why are you faulting these guys for trying to get what they deserve after all these years?
    JD Sal wrote:
    I wish someone would actually take a look at this site which shows average concert prices over the last 12 months for just about every band / musician. The costs do not include TM fees, add on's, etc.

http://www.pollstar.com/atpDetail.aspx?SearchBy=P

Here's a list of some bands mentioned in this thread:

Green Day 44.86
    Dave Matthews Band 52.99
    Tool 53.75
    Pearl Jam 59.34
    Depeche Mode 64.29
    Metallica 65.01
    Neil Young 66.95
    U2 93.77

Now, if you take the average of these prices, it comes out to be $62.62. Pearl Jam's average price is $59.34, so aren't their shows moderately priced when compared to similar bands?!?!

No, cause those numbers get totally skewed by the fact that some of those bands charge like $200 for premium seats that the average person prob can't even get their hands on in the first place.

Very few artists have the balls to ask for more than PJ does for 400s at MSG. McCartney and Joel, maybe Simon and Garfunkel come to mind.
    edited March 2010
    All I'm saying is I've probably been to about 70 shows in the last 4 years and I can't think of one time I spent more than $92.05 except for when I chipped in $125 for my friend to get Brian Van Der Ark to play in his backyard.
    Post edited by stranger34 on
  • edited March 2010
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Worth every penny still.

At the end of the day....you're right.
    maybe worth it, but too rich for me. maybe if they played my town (unlikely), but that plus travel costs put it out of reach for me. i just cant see paying that much to see a band no matter how great, when there are so many great ones i could see for 30-40 bucks.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • Stranger... then stop going to cheap shows and go see a major headliner to gain proper perspective. Don't expect Pearl Jam to be cheaper than Depeche Mode, Flock of Seagulls and the Muppets.

Your stuck on a senseless loop. You've listened to nothing. They are a quality band and are charging much less than what they could still get. Be thankful that they don't truly fleece people- cause they'd get much more if they demaded it!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
This discussion has been closed.