The official $92.05 is Too much Thread

Comments

• breath123breath123 Posts: 397
    stranger34 wrote:
    breath123 wrote:
    I just realized that Metallica, one of the bands who's prices have been mentioned are about 300 shows into the death magnetic tour and they're already talking about another leg. logic dictates that the longer the schedule the more cost effective a tour is.

Pearl Jam probably won't crack 100 shows when they are done with Backspacer, so it's going to be more expensive. I know the number of shows is an issue for some of you.

is it really fair to say to the band that they HAVE to do a monster tour every time out? For those of us who have seen them on major tours we know eds voice craps out about halfway through a leg. Plus family has taken a priority and since they have the same crew from the start, I would assume the payroll is hefty.

This is the way it is. Accept it and move on, or don't

Another pet peeve of the sheeple

They argue all the business school BS and then they post something like this.

If I give 10 tennis lessons a week at $50 an hour and all my customers are happy - is it logical that I can do 5 tennis lessons at $100 an hour instead and expect the selected customers not only to be happy to be graced with my presence - but also more than glad to pay double what they used to?

Funny how I am sheeple if I disagree with you. If I agree with you am I not a sheeple for you?

A debate tactic of a losing argument.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,594
    stranger34 wrote:
    breath123 wrote:
    I just realized that Metallica, one of the bands who's prices have been mentioned are about 300 shows into the death magnetic tour and they're already talking about another leg. logic dictates that the longer the schedule the more cost effective a tour is.

Pearl Jam probably won't crack 100 shows when they are done with Backspacer, so it's going to be more expensive. I know the number of shows is an issue for some of you.

is it really fair to say to the band that they HAVE to do a monster tour every time out? For those of us who have seen them on major tours we know eds voice craps out about halfway through a leg. Plus family has taken a priority and since they have the same crew from the start, I would assume the payroll is hefty.

This is the way it is. Accept it and move on, or don't

Another pet peeve of the sheeple

They argue all the business school BS and then they post something like this.

If I give 10 tennis lessons a week at $50 an hour and all my customers are happy - is it logical that I can do 5 tennis lessons at $100 an hour instead and expect the selected customers not only to be happy to be graced with my presence - but also more than glad to pay double what they used to?

if you have 400 people lined up that are willing to pay $200 per lesson then yes

compare apples to apples
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • JaneNY wrote:
    I would think that PJ probably pays its support people better than other bands. It just seems like that's what they'd do. And that has to be covered. It costs a lot to transport and house everyone they need along with them. How many support people do they employ in terms of instrument/lighting/sound/computer tech? Those aren't people that get (or should get) minimum wage. PJ is past the stage of traveling in a van, sleeping under or in it, hauling their own equipment, never getting a shower or enough to eat.

I don't see how any of us can determine what's the right price, since we don't know the details of how their business runs. Economics dictates that if the price was too high, people wouldn't be buying and they might find a way to drop their price or have to not go out at all, if people couldn't afford to pay what it takes to run the operation.

They put on an excellent show of amazing music. Its worth paying for. How many other bands have you seen? Pearl Jam is 1st tier in terms of the quality of their show and sound. I've seen plenty of other bands that while they sound decent on their album, their kind of meh when it comes to live.

Very good points, I tried to give some insight on the "$92.05 is to much" thread based on my experiences working at 2 venues you may be familar w/ as I see you are from upstate NY. I worked mostly security at SPAC and TU Center for many years and tried to give the people who where saying it was clearly GREED by PJ that has caused this dramatic increase in PJ tickets, when they never take into account the very dramatic actual increase in just security at the venues, especially for bands the quality of PJ. It is also not economically sound to try compare consumer goods with what it cost for a band to tour, or for venue to put on events as the cost of just security and insurance has increased far more than inflation, especially post 9/11 and that is a fact. I am by no means a PJ apologist or sheep(I have issue w/ some of their political statements as it undermines our troops,never voted for a Bush just for the record) or whatever some are saying, my points are based on my experiences and knowledge of atleast part of the business. I know everyone has a right to their opinion and thats fine I guess.
    11/5/91: Troy NY "I Just Want to SCREAM... HELLO!"
    8/4/92:Saratoga NY 4/6/94:Mass 9/13/98:CT
    8/27/2000:Saratoga NY,10/04/2000:Montreal,Canada
    04/29/03:Albany, 5/12/06:Albany NY,10/31/09:Philly,5/15/10Hartford CT

• JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    FYI, the 92.05 is only at the Garden and nowhere else. And it is the most expensive venue to book. Just putting it out there.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    We know for a fact fuel has increased and I highly doubt they fly from St Louis to Columbus to Noblesville, etc.

Health care costs have gone through the roof and I would hope they treat their employees pretty good and pick up the tab there.

OK... So say from 03 to 10 the tickets have gone up $40... at places where they play its usually around 18-22K people, right? I'm going to use 20K because its easiest to work with.

So they're grossing now about 800,000 more PER SHOW. That is why its impossible to say its gas, health care, food, venues, etc, etc, etc. Especially since they aren't trucking from Seattle to STL and back to Seattle then to IND, etc. It's pretty small drives between shows.

Come on - just look at those #s. It's going to PROFIT.

Whether that's right or wrong to the fans or whatever... you can't possibly find $800,000 more in costs (or ANYWHERE near that).

I dont think there's anything 'wrong' with charging what they charge - its their shows and they can price however they want. But if you think they are leaving much money on the table you're crazy -- raise those ticket prices much more and they'll start selling less tickets. There are a core of diehards on this board, but aside from that there are not going to be huge #s willing to pay $100/ticket.
    drsluggo wrote:
    We know for a fact fuel has increased and I highly doubt they fly from St Louis to Columbus to Noblesville, etc.

Health care costs have gone through the roof and I would hope they treat their employees pretty good and pick up the tab there.

OK... So say from 03 to 10 the tickets have gone up $40... at places where they play its usually around 18-22K people, right? I'm going to use 20K because its easiest to work with.

So they're grossing now about 800,000 more PER SHOW. That is why its impossible to say its gas, health care, food, venues, etc, etc, etc. Especially since they aren't trucking from Seattle to STL and back to Seattle then to IND, etc. It's pretty small drives between shows.

Whether that's right or wrong to the fans or whatever... you can't possibly find $800,000 more in costs (or ANYWHERE near that).

I dont think there's anything 'wrong' with charging what they charge - its their shows and they can price however they want. But if you think they are leaving much money on the table you're crazy -- raise those ticket prices much more and they'll start selling less tickets. There are a core of diehards on this board, but aside from that there are not going to be huge #s willing to pay $100/ticket.

I'm not going to argue with you until we have facts. You haven't produced any.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742

Thanks for proving my point - there are no facts outside of the price of the tickets. We don't know anything else.

We can all make assumptions, and those assumptions would indicate that the rise in tickets is making higher profit per ticket than in the past based on the fact that inflation is like 1/10th of the price increase.

But my point is that this thread is dumb because both sides have valid points yet no one will ever agree so why bother continuing in circles. And you telling people to shut up when you dont know anything more than anyone else is just pointless.
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    rb115565 wrote:
    There ticket prices are still pretty cheap compared to U2,The Police, Red hot Chili Peppers and just about everybody else who plays Arenas

omg how many times do we have to go through this.

they are cheaper than those for VIP type tickets, they are actually more expensive in the nosebleeds than all three of those above mentioned. please please please spill the kool aid
    Tom Petty charges a lot more

PJ's prices are worth it to me....I'm glad they don't charge more because I would pay it

and guess what....THEY KNOW THAT AND THEY KEEP THE PRICES DOWN ANYWAY

funny I'm seeing Petty at MSG for $68 after service charges and my seats suck

I'm seeing PJ at MSG for $92 after service charges and my seats suck

I'm seeing Tom Petty in Hartford for under $50 after charges and my seats suck
    uglybabo wrote:
    When you compare PJ to their peers like Radiohead, Tool, and Green Day, you'll see that PJ charges more than they really should.

At their upcoming shows in Toronto:

Them Crooked Vultures - $60.00 top ticket
    Green Day - $90.00 top ticket
    Dave Mattthews - $75.00 top ticket
    Kings of Leon - $62.00 top ticket
    NickelBack - $90.00

And these are all without service charges. If you try to pull a pair for Nickelback they come to $213.00 for the pair and they are behind the stage limited view.

For Pearl Jam in Buffalo, a pair of the best seats available for $150.00 all-in.

I think most people's problem is that we used to be able to point to Pearl Jam as cheap. They were $30-$50 when other bands were $50-70. Now they are more in line with what their peers charge; but they are not on the high end of the current market.

god forbid you show the middle and low end.

you could have a more expensive meal at mcdonalds than a restraunt too if you get creative about it.
    drsluggo wrote:

spot on

• drsluggo wrote:

i PROMISE you these people just skip right over this sentence, their denial so deep that they are completely incapable of even comprehending it.
  • drsluggo wrote:

inflation and costs havent increased much. tickets have doubled. those ARE FACTS. unless they are paying protection money for the mob or paying off a loan shark somewhere, there is no possible way the costs justify the increase. wake up.

mayb its that they dont sell many records, maybe they give it all to charity, maybe they just dont give a fuck anymore. whatever the reason, ITS NOT COSTS. and i dont even care. just accept it.
  • ComeToTX wrote:
    I paid $37 to see My Morning Jacket in a couple weeks. Fourth row. In the South no less. Now that's a great value and beats paying $92 to see PJ in the worst seats in the house.
    absolutely!
  • uglybabouglybabo Posts: 520
    stranger34 wrote:
    god forbid you show the middle and low end.

you could have a more expensive meal at mcdonalds than a restraunt too if you get creative about it.

Ok Nickelback has three price levels listed:

$90, $70 and $50

For sake of even numbers say 15,000 seats divided equally among these ranges;

5,000 X $90 = $450,000
    5,000 X $70 = $350,000
    5,000 X $50 = $250,000

for a total of $1,050,000

Pearl Jam is one price of $70

15,000 X $70 = $1,050,000

Same gross revenue. I understand that the upper balcony seats may be overpriced, but the solution would be to raise the top tier pricing. Since were all in the fanclub here, we're the ones who would pay more.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    MrSmith wrote:
    mayb its that they dont sell many records, maybe they give it all to charity, maybe they just dont give a fuck anymore. whatever the reason, ITS NOT COSTS. and i dont even care. just accept it.

To support your argument....They've sold pretty well the same kinda numbers for 15 years and the ticket price increase didn't really follow the growth of piracy.
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    I am sorry, but not too many people on here really care if $92.05 is too much for you to afford to see them.. The ticket price is the least of my concerns in my travels to see the band... I'd gladly pay $192.05 to see them in Nashville rather than spend a small fortune to travel to see them.. It's personal economics.. if you can't afford it, either quit wasting money on drugs and bullshit, or learn to f'ng save... Or just get a better job, or better yet.. If you are struggling that hard financially then you probably need to prioritize and you shouldn't be spending ANY money on a concert ticket... And as far as if it is greed on their part.. So what... Yeah they are going after the dollars lately.. but they are also very generous in spending our dollars on political and social causes that make the world a better place... They have been in the trenches for 20 years and have obviously earned the place to charge it.. If $92.05 were too much then the shows would not have sold out... I am glad that they haven't tried to test the market to see how much is too much...
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    bhigh901 wrote:
    I am sorry, but not too many people on here really care if $92.05 is too much for you to afford to see them.. The ticket price is the least of my concerns in my travels to see the band... I'd gladly pay $192.05 to see them in Nashville rather than spend a small fortune to travel to see them.. It's personal economics.. if you can't afford it, either quit wasting money on drugs and bullshit, or learn to f'ng save... Or just get a better job, or better yet.. If you are struggling that hard financially then you probably need to prioritize and you shouldn't be spending ANY money on a concert ticket... And as far as if it is greed on their part.. So what... Yeah they are going after the dollars lately.. but they are also very generous in spending our dollars on political and social causes that make the world a better place... They have been in the trenches for 20 years and have obviously earned the place to charge it.. If $92.05 were too much then the shows would not have sold out... I am glad that they haven't tried to test the market to see how much is too much...

Holy cow... This guy has it figured out. Nobody has used this pointless argument yet, in 50 pages. The assumption that everybody complaining about prices is on drugs is a new one.
  • bhigh901 wrote:

In the trenches for 20 years? Laugh at that one.

When on the road they stay at 4 Seasons, far from the trenches.
    edited April 2010
    JL19851 wrote:
    FYI, the 92.05 is only at the Garden and nowhere else. And it is the most expensive venue to book. Just putting it out there.

Good point. remember that asshole daniel quinn who had a similar thread about the price of the ONE Borgata show on the old board? pretty much the same shit as this thread, blah blah blah pearl jam is more greedy than Dick Cheney blah blah blah.

Speaking of which, I just bought Green Day tickets for Irvine CA. 69.00 with fees for frankly mediocre seats in the last row of the 2nd section.

Hard to believe that for just $6.00 more I will be sitting in the first 10 rows at PJ in KC and STL.....

now...what were we talking about?
    Post edited by breath123 on
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    breath123 wrote:
    good point. remember that a-hole daniel quinn who had a similar thread about the price of the ONE
    Borgata show on the old board?

The tickets were $100 in 2005 which was really ridiculous. They were also impossible to get. The 10 Club had very few pairs available. Then there was a ticket debacle with Philly tickets. In response to both of those issues....we were promised something Big, Bold and Free. We all know how that ended up.
    DewieCox wrote:
    bhigh901 wrote:
    I am sorry, but not too many people on here really care if $92.05 is too much for you to afford to see them.. The ticket price is the least of my concerns in my travels to see the band... I'd gladly pay $192.05 to see them in Nashville rather than spend a small fortune to travel to see them.. It's personal economics.. if you can't afford it, either quit wasting money on drugs and bullshit, or learn to f'ng save... Or just get a better job, or better yet.. If you are struggling that hard financially then you probably need to prioritize and you shouldn't be spending ANY money on a concert ticket... And as far as if it is greed on their part.. So what...

Holy cow... This guy has it figured out. Nobody has used this pointless argument yet, in 50 pages. The assumption that everybody complaining about prices is on drugs is a new one.

Ahem.. First off, I did not assume EVERYBODY was on drugs.. and the argument isn't pointless.. I can safely assume that a pj fan or 2 is rolling a fattie while whining about the ticket prices... Secondly, I wouldn't pay $92.05 for nosebleed seats at MSG, but I don't think it is too much if someone is willing to pay it... Why all the whining? It is just so obnoxious to go to a band's forum and call them greedy assholes. And if the extra 20 to 30 dollars they are charging for MSG is THAT big of a hit to your budget then you probably can't afford to go in the first place.. I understand the frustrations of financial struggle.. but what good does coming on here and pissing and moaning about it do you? It creates a negative environment, and the bands art and energy have always been so positive.. It just doesn't really help anyone to spread all this anger..
    bhigh901 wrote:

The Four Seasons while away from your home and the ones you love can be just as trying as sleeping on a bus..
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    bhigh901 wrote:
    bhigh901 wrote:

The Four Seasons while away from your home and the ones you love can be just as trying as sleeping on a bus..

LOL. So the extra $20 per ticket will help heal the touring heartache?
    breath123 wrote:
    good point. remember that a-hole daniel quinn who had a similar thread about the price of the ONE
    Borgata show on the old board?

The tickets were $100 in 2005 which was really ridiculous. They were also impossible to get. The 10 Club had very few pairs available. Then there was a ticket debacle with Philly tickets. In response to both of those issues....we were promised something Big, Bold and Free. We all know how that ended up.

point is, it was 1 show and not a precident setter.

When on the road they stay at 4 Seasons, far from the trenches.[/quote]

The Four Seasons while away from your home and the ones you love can be just as trying as sleeping on a bus..[/quote]

LOL. So the extra $20 per ticket will help heal the touring heartache?[/quote]

No, The mini tours help heal the touring heartache... Who cares what they spend the extra $20 on??? It's THEIR money to do what they want...
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    Very good points, I tried to give some insight on the "$92.05 is to much" thread based on my experiences working at 2 venues you may be familar w/ as I see you are from upstate NY. I worked mostly security at SPAC and TU Center for many years and tried to give the people who where saying it was clearly GREED by PJ that has caused this dramatic increase in PJ tickets, when they never take into account the very dramatic actual increase in just security at the venues, especially for bands the quality of PJ. It is also not economically sound to try compare consumer goods with what it cost for a band to tour, or for venue to put on events as the cost of just security and insurance has increased far more than inflation, especially post 9/11 and that is a fact. I am by no means a PJ apologist or sheep(I have issue w/ some of their political statements as it undermines our troops,never voted for a Bush just for the record) or whatever some are saying, my points are based on my experiences and knowledge of atleast part of the business. I know everyone has a right to their opinion and thats fine I guess.

These are two (security and insurance) almost certain facts. How some unsatisfied members made a good job on avoiding this comment is beyond my imagination.

Funny how people try to make you look as a sheep when you don´t agree that this band has gone to hell. My personal opinion? People that think they are too special and everyone else is a moron.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • force-10 wrote:

These are two (security and insurance) almost certain facts. How some unsatisfied members made a good job on avoiding this comment is beyond my imagination.

Funny how people try to make you look as a sheep when you don´t agree that this band has gone to hell. My personal opinion? People that think they are too special and everyone else is a moron.

2003 was after 9/11, tickets were still $40.

Don't blame the 100% increase on that event.
    some people like to bitch about everything....just miserable people

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i think after 50 pages i have it figured out ...

what it boils down to is this: have the members of pearl jam gotten green disease? ... really, the argument of the actual ticket price without knowing specifics of who is getting paid how much and what not is pointless as everyone can speculate all they want ... it sounds like the disgruntled here are pretty much saying that the band members have gone greedy and no longer stand for the principles they once did ...

we can get into the details of all their charity work and the fundraisers they take part in but really - if after all this time you feel that the band is no longer who they claimed to be then there really is no discussion here as we don't know what they are taking in ... and what is fair for a stone gossard to be making year over year for creating music and playing shows for us?
This discussion has been closed.