The official $92.05 is Too much Thread

Comments

• i like goofy dirty hippy Ed. it sucks that i'll never get Not For You like it was back when they were pissed, but at least this way the girls i go with are usually suprised they arent just some grunge band. :)
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    MrSmith wrote:
    i just wonder what it was that changed. and it wasnt a gradual thing, it seemed to happen pretty quickly. all of the sudden Ed wasnt angry anymore, they mellowed out, and so on. i was pretty shocked last year when Ed barely said anything political at shows. dont get me wrong, I LOVE THAT, i just wonder what it was. they must have found some really good weed.

I assume it gets hard to write music after you have over a hundred original songs. Actually, what i mean is lyrically... Especially once you've found your niche in life. When you are discovering new music and growing up, the world has so much to offer, but once you settle down, sometimes you have to seek out those things.

I admit that i find many of the songs on Backspacer lacking depth, but I figure they are testing out all new directions. Got Some kicks ass, but it doesnt say much to me. However, I love that something so silly as Johnny Guitar Watson could give them inspiration to write a fun, rockin tune that "is what it is".

Another theory...I have a friend who used to be kinda wild and raced motorcycles professionally. Once he had kids.. it was all over. it was like his train of thought was reformatted too. Just an observation.

or, I could be waaay off, it could be the weed ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    stranger34 wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    i just wonder what it was that changed. and it wasnt a gradual thing, it seemed to happen pretty quickly. all of the sudden Ed wasnt angry anymore, they mellowed out, and so on. i was pretty shocked last year when Ed barely said anything political at shows. dont get me wrong, I LOVE THAT, i just wonder what it was. they must have found some really good weed.

It happened very quickly. 06 was still old PJ. I think it started in 08 and was complete by 09. No clue what it was.

Nah. The band I saw in '06 was the same band I saw in '08 was the same band I saw in '09.

If there's a line of delination between "old PJ" and "new PJ" (whatever the hell that means), it was drawn before '06.

no, just look at Ed's body language on stage. It's changed dramatically. He acts like a full of himself rockstar now. it's annoying
    the change is that they care less about everything including the music and it's showing.

they used to care alot about everything. some would say they used to care too much.
  • teemanteeman Posts: 337
    stranger34 wrote:
    no, just look at Ed's body language on stage. It's changed dramatically. He acts like a full of himself rockstar now. it's annoying

...and just when you almost got some people on board, you come out with something like this.

Sounds like you actually don't like their newer shows very much, that's why the $79 is too much for you. And that's ok man. But, you might want to save yourself the aggravation and find a new forum to hang out in. Something that won't get you so upset.
  • ultimately they are a group of individuals who play music together. things change. people change. you learn to focus your energy in different ways. if they had kept being angry they would have split up a long time ago.

as far as price goes? that's just the cost of doing business. while it is noble for a band to try and keep ticket prices down as much as possible it can't stay that way forever. at some point they have to start thinking for themselves. you and i have no idea how much money they actually have or have made and in an uncertain world they want to secure their financial futures. they know they can't do this forever. the industry is changing. a band can either adapt to the change and continue performing or continue to fight, burn themselves out, and disappear into the proverbial fog.

if you don't like the prices of tickets then exercise your free will and don't go to the show. if it's too much for you then don't pay. it's that simple. there are some great bands out there right now. spend $92 going to see three local bands and pick up some merchandise to support some kids touring.
  • stranger34 wrote:
    the change is that they care less about everything including the music and it's showing.

they used to care alot about everything. some would say they used to care too much.

http://www.amnesty.org/

Much better use of your time and efforts. Get worked up about something important :roll:
    here's my question. What does Pearl Jam stand for in 2010?

This is the first time in their history they have no identity.

it's like they re-affirmed who they were with the 2006 release and then lost their way by 2010.
    stranger34 wrote:

I've seen them close to twenty times, and this is the FARTHEST THING from accurate that I have witnessed.
    Can you please describe what you mean by "full of himself-rockstar"? better yet, you might be looking for a different kind of band altogether, I agree with the above poster, maybe you should look into some other bands, cause I think you just dont get PJ. just my $.02.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    stranger34 wrote:

I've seen them close to twenty times, and this is the FARTHEST THING from accurate that I have witnessed.
    Can you please describe what you mean by "full of himself-rockstar"? better yet, you might be looking for a different kind of band altogether, I agree with the above poster, maybe you should look into some other bands, cause I think you just dont get PJ. just my $.02.

go watch blood from the 02 Arena then go watch touring band
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    stranger34 wrote:

Please, please, please explain how Ed's body language has changed at all on stage in the past 10-12 years. I think you're at a point now where you're just throwing stuff against a wall to see what sticks.

Maybe you just don't dig the band as much as you once did, which is perfectly fine. Yet, you're going to shows on this tour and hanging out on the band's message board, so what gives?
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    stranger34 wrote:

it's like they re-affirmed who they were with the 2006 release and then lost their way by 2010.

uhhh ... $2 from every concert goer goes to charity ... ed's release of my city of ruins went to haiti ... they operate without a major label and distributed their record on their own terms ...

this thread should really be entitled the "can't please everyone" thread
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I seen PJ in 2003 and Ed and Mike were goin back to back in a cliche rockstar way and it totally fuckin ruled. In arguably the most famous PJ pic Ed and Jeff are doin the same thing.

What about Ed stage diving? I know he was feelin it, but it's cliche rockstar bullshit. He'd still be stage diving if it was about lookin cool.
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    polaris_x wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

uhhh ... $2 from every concert goer goes to charity ... ed's release of my city of ruins went to haiti ... they operate without a major label and distributed their record on their own terms ...

Correction...$2 of OUR dollars go to charity. That is an additional charge on top of the ticket price.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    edited March 2010
    polaris_x wrote:

Correction...$2 of OUR dollars go to charity. That is an additional charge on top of the ticket price.

uhhh ... how is this a correction? ... are people going not called concert goers?
    Post edited by polaris_x on
  • teemanteeman Posts: 337
    polaris_x wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

Why is this a correction? He said from every concert goer...we are the concert goers, are we not?
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    polaris_x wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

uhhh ... how is this a correction? ... are people going not called concert goers?

Sorry, I interpreted that as you saying the band was personally donating that money. My bad.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,941
    DewieCox wrote:

What about Ed stage diving? I know he was feelin it, but it's cliche rockstar bullshit. He'd still be stage diving if it was about lookin cool.

"That climbing happened out of me saying 'Look this is how extreme I feel about this situation. This is how fucking intense I'm taking this moment.' You can't do that for long, because what they really want to see is, they want you to chop your fucking arm off, hold up your arm, wave it around spewing blood, and believe me, if you did that, the crowd would go fucking ballistic. You only get four good shows like that, though. Four good shows, and then you're just a torso and a head, trying to get one of your band mates to give you one last hurrah and chop your head off. Which they probably wouldn't do, which would really be hell.

"But," Vedder says with a laugh, "they'd say, 'Sing from your diaphragm, at least you still have that going for you.'"
    :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    imalive wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

"That climbing happened out of me saying 'Look this is how extreme I feel about this situation. This is how fucking intense I'm taking this moment.' You can't do that for long, because what they really want to see is, they want you to chop your fucking arm off, hold up your arm, wave it around spewing blood, and believe me, if you did that, the crowd would go fucking ballistic. You only get four good shows like that, though. Four good shows, and then you're just a torso and a head, trying to get one of your band mates to give you one last hurrah and chop your head off. Which they probably wouldn't do, which would really be hell.

"But," Vedder says with a laugh, "they'd say, 'Sing from your diaphragm, at least you still have that going for you.'"
    :lol:

Tis but a flesh wound!
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
    stranger34 wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

I have no idea what this means, but I guess anyone could pick some random song from any era and compare it to another era and say, 'see what I mean'? This tells us nothing about how Ed has become an "annoying rockstar" to you. I saw a 30 second video of Ed doing kareoke poorly once.. must be giving up and selling out, huh?
    I guess if it's your opinion, that's fine... but you cant substantiate a ridiculous statement like "Ed is annoying now" and expect us to believe it all-encompasingly just from a video of Blood.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    stranger34 wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

I saw 4 shows last year and saw Touring Band a week ago and don't really know what you're getting at. Can you be specific as to what Ed's "full of himself rockstar" is to you? Is it because he appears to be having a good time instead of just standing there like in Touring Band?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    i can't pull up vids now but his antics are like a caricature now and it's annoying. that's all. Holden Caufield would call him a phony if he saw him on stage. Maybe he's just lit up onstage more than he's been in the past who knows...

at any rate at least it's been established now that this band is no longer a "cheap ticket" that was the point of this thread in the first place...
  • slingsling Posts: 169
    edited March 2010
    stranger34 wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

It happened very quickly. 06 was still old PJ. I think it started in 08 and was complete by 09. No clue what it was.

One word: Obama.

I know that I'm a lot less angry than I was during the Bush years! And I didn't have kids...
    That doesn't mean I'm thrilled with everything going on in society, but it's a lot different than 2000-2008.

The guys grew up, but also, all good music/art reflects the culture of its time. The cultural paradigm shifted.

Nowadays if you want angry, you best be finding some Teabagger-created music! :o
    Post edited by sling on
  • sling wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

I know that I'm a lot less angry than I was during the Bush years! And I didn't have kids...
    That doesn't mean I'm thrilled with everything going on in society, but it's a lot different than 2000-2008.

The guys grew up, but also, also, all good music/art reflects the culture of its time. The cultural paradigm shifted.

Nowadays if you want angry, you best be finding some Teabagger-created music! :o

then its time to put a republican in the white house! that should piss off Eddie real good.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I can undertsand how people would take issue with some of the band's actions.

To those people, what is your motivation for being so vocal about the issue?

Do you feel let-down by the band?

Are you angry at them?

Why do you place so much importance on what the band says or does?

Do you hold many other people to the same standards?

Just curious
  • slingsling Posts: 169
    MrSmith wrote:

then its time to put a republican in the white house! that should piss off Eddie real good.

No thanks! But maybe somebody could make him watch a bunch of Fox News occasionally to light a fire under his ass. :)

stranger34 wrote:

So far I haven't seen Eddie with hair gel, guyliner & skin-tight leather pants, doing Bono poses...

He still rocks out in a way that wouldn't necessarily look very "cool" if he wasn't so fully into it!
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I can undertsand how people would take issue with some of the band's actions.

To those people, what is your motivation for being so vocal about the issue?

Do you feel let-down by the band?

Are you angry at them?

Why do you place so much importance on what the band says or does?

Do you hold many other people to the same standards?

Just curious

what is your motivation for being so vocal about the issue? To see if others feel the same, to see if maybe I'm mistaken, to take a temperature of how the fanbase is reacting to PJ's shift in values and music

Do you feel let-down by the band? Yes, the way anyone would when they respect someone for something, and then the person turns their back on it. I would say this started when PJ joined the herd of Nader supporters who jumped to kerry in 04. It's been a slippery slope since then. Neil Young and Ralph Nader became Bruce Springsteen and Barack Obama. ugh

Are you angry at them? wrong word - disappointed

Why do you place so much importance on what the band says or does? I'm holding them to their own standard. They spent their entire careers acting like their actions were important. I humored them then and I'll humor it now

Do you hold many other people to the same standards? I tend to hold people to the standards they set for themselves. I tend to to gravitate toward extreme personalities - people with strong convictions... people who want to be held to a high standard
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    sling wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

The guys grew up, but also, all good music/art reflects the culture of its time. The cultural paradigm shifted.

Obama def. did it. But to anyone who thinks that "growing up" means becoming more conservative and commercial, like the band's become, has a lot to learn regarding what "growing up" means. It means something different to everyone, and can't be generalized into a neat little package. :roll:
  • i haven't read this whole thread and I'm a huge hypocrite because I still buy tickets, but yes $92 is too much for PJ. It's cool though I'm happy with seeing one or two shows now instead of 5-10 a tour. What's really crazy to me is how Phish tickets are still $65 with fees and PJ's tix are almost $30 more. Pearl jam has a very minimal stage set-up while Phish has one of the biggest light rigs around. Pj's lights suck! And that's fine, but where is the extra money going? Plus Phish shows are longer! Oh well it'll still be fun, but it's not quite like it used to be.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
This discussion has been closed.