The PJ sell-out debate ends here

Comments

• ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    metsfan wrote:

Signing with SubPop would've never given them the security they found with Sony. I can't fault them for that. They were lucky to get such a deal in the first place considering they hadn't been together that long as a band. And again, Target made profit from selling Backspacer. It's not like they bent over backwards for Pearl Jam and lost money on the deal. Don't tell me that a millionaire band has to kiss ass and do that gig. And don't tell me they didn't get a pocketfull of money to do it.
    actually a millionaire band does have to kiss ass and do gig if they want to do business with target again. its called not loosing a contact in the music world. lets not forget that pj is its own record label now. they don't have someone to back them up. it's strictly 10 club, pearl jam and curtis mangement now.

So exactly what prevents them from doing what Radiohead did with "In Rainbows"? That's the model PJ should follow and that's a band that has managed to keep their dignity fully intact. I doubt any of their children are goin hungry either.

Except Radiohead sucks...I dont care what a band does as long as they are good, Pearl Jam is good
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    doompony wrote:
    how is corduroy about big business? i thought it was about fame and his jacket?

Not big business, but I always took it for an "anti-sellout" song, so to speak.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I think we all need a

grouphug.gif

an Asian?

That was the first thing I saw in that picture... :? 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,764
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Ok, Well... I think I've had my fun.
    Anymore will just make me more upset about the one outlet that I've had in my life as far back as I can remember.

Plus, I'll just start talking about how they are transforming into KISS.
    Anyone notice you can buy ANY poster from the 2009 tour right now!
    Or that all 4 philly posters were available for sale after the 4th show?
    Either someone's getting pretty greedy or no one buys posters anymore!
    Way to kill the poster market guys!!!

I wish Brad Klausen was around to chime in on this.

It really pains to to bash the band like this but I just cant take it anymore!
    Everything they do now is dipped in shit!
  • breath123breath123 Posts: 397
    edited March 2010
    JeffSide wrote:
    You couldn't have said it any better!!!!
    "The films you made in college are safely tucked away at college"
    WHY IS PJ STILL SINGING SONGS ABOUT NOT SELLING OUT?
    They wanna sell out and alienate a good % of their base. FINE!!
    But RETIRE the sellout songs!!!!!
    ComeToTX wrote:
    yeah, but they were saying a lot of this stuff in their mid thirties.

you were quoting Vitology . songs, so I was responding to that. What songs on Avocado or Backspacer do you think are about not selling out? I'd even argue that Green Disease is about runaway unregulated capitalism.

the Jill thing was a low blow btw. It's clear he is talking about media whores like Paris Hilton. I am trying to remember the last time I saw Jill McCormack on TMZ or on a reality show acting like a spoiled bitch. Oh, that's right....never!

Ok guys I am done. To me, (and this is just me) there is a BIG difference between using a company to promote your band and making a financial alliance with a corporation.

In other words, prove to me that PJ took one dime from Target other than in sales of the CD. prove to me that pj took one dime from Verizon other than the promotion.

you might want to think about moving on to a band on a higher moral ground. Clearly Pearl Jam has led you astray.
    Post edited by breath123 on
  • over bends wrote:
    JeffSide wrote:
    You couldn't have said it any better!!!!
    "The films you made in college are safely tucked away at college"
    WHY IS PJ STILL SINGING SONGS ABOUT NOT SELLING OUT?
    They wanna sell out and alienate a good % of their base. FINE!!
    But RETIRE the sellout songs!!!!!

Any fan who'd rather never ever hear songs like Satan's Bed and Corduroy again in concert based on some weird principle is pretty fucked up if you asked me.

No kidding: "Sorry guys, a bunch of people on the boards who can defend every single statement they ever made in the last 20 years don't think you should play ONE of your old songs, as it makes them and the baby jesus cry. Sorry."

I guess they will be the ones turning their back to the stage in protest in the rare occasion Satan's Bed gets played. Good for you!

south_park_smug-300x231.jpg
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere...
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    wtf is selling out? the only definition i have ever approved of, is if someone completley goes against something they truly believe in, for pure profit. i'm not gonna come up with any examples, but what i will say is, changing ones mind and/or growing up, is not selling out. and all the dumb bullshit like "1990-1998 Ed would be so upset" is so lame. 1990-1998 Ed was a naive, young, essientally single dude, who made enough money in those early years to fight against the machine, with the idea the money would just keep rolling in. 2010 Ed is a 45 year old man with two children in a completley different music buisness and economy then existed in the 1990's.

Can you sit here today, and tell me you havent changed in the last 20 years? That everything you do today is exactley the same you would do it 20 years ago? It is such a weak argument to compare someone to themselves 20 years ago, especially when you think of the major changes, maturity, growth, etc that have occured to someone like Ed since 1990, or even 2003!
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • There is no reason for "sell-out" as others have mentioned. If Pearl Jam gets popular, they could finally start to get the recognition they deserve. My girlfriend and I are sitting here listening to Hooker With A Penis by Tool and we think you should read the lyrics.

I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a
    Dope Beastie t, nipple rings, and
    New tattoos that claimed that he
    Was OGT,
    From '92,
    The first EP.

And in between
    Sips of Coke
    He told me that
    He thought
    We were sellin' out,
    Layin' down,
    Suckin' up
    To the man.

Well now I've got some
    A-dvice for you, little buddy.
    Before you point the finger
    You should know that
    I'm the man,

And if I'm the man,

Then you're the man, and
    He's the man as well so you can
    Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
    Dumb fuck.
    I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
    Dip shit,
    And you bought one.

So I've got some
    Advice for you, little buddy.
    Before you point your finger
    You should know that
    I'm the man,

If I'm the fuckin' man
    Then you're the fuckin' man as well
    So you can

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
    And you bought one.

All you read and
    Wear or see and
    Hear on TV
    Is a product
    Begging for your
    Fatass dirty
    Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
    Send more money
    Fuck you, buddy.
    Chicago 8-23-09

you know, there is an even WORSE scenario:

Maybe Pearl Jam is like Ed Norton in Primal Fear.

maybe this has been the real Pearl Jam all along, maybe they have been corporate whores all along.....

they finally are showing us who they are!!

take that, Richard Gere! BWAHAHAH, BWAHAHA!!
    I don't care if they've sold out or not. Playing a show for Target when you ignore your fans in 70% of the country is insulting. Obviously they can do what they want but it's hard to deal with.
    There is no reason for "sell-out" as others have mentioned. If Pearl Jam gets popular, they could finally start to get the recognition they deserve. My girlfriend and I are sitting here listening to Hooker With A Penis by Tool and we think you should read the lyrics.

Was OGT,
    From '92,
    The first EP.

And in between
    Sips of Coke
    He told me that
    He thought
    We were sellin' out,
    Layin' down,
    Suckin' up
    To the man.

Well now I've got some
    You should know that
    I'm the man,

And if I'm the man,

Then you're the man, and

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
    And you bought one.

So I've got some
    You should know that
    I'm the man,

If I'm the fuckin' man
    So you can

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
    And you bought one.

All you read and
    Wear or see and
    Hear on TV
    Is a product
    Begging for your
    Fatass dirty
    Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
    Send more money
    Fuck you, buddy.

That, in a word.....is AWESOME!!
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    ComeToTX wrote:

I don't care if they've sold out or not. Playing a show for Target when you ignore your fans in 70% of the country is insulting. Obviously they can do what they want but it's hard to deal with.

And I dont have a problem with the Target thing. Target helped the band out, they worked together to give us, what I think is a really good album, and they hooked PJ with more money then they would have gotten in any other contract, more control over where else the album would be sold, and ultimatley the final say in just about every aspect of the release and marketing of the album. So PJ pays them back a little bit by playing three songs? Good for them.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Ed wasn't single at all from 90-98. He was with Beth.

They played 3 songs, not a full show. That's like saying its insulting they played SNL or the Tonight Show because they could be playing in another city instead. Hey why was mike on Fallon? Instead of playing there they should've played a show in LA for their "true fans" (aka people who only support them when they get what they want) right? :roll:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    I only support them when I get what I want? They haven't played a proper show in my state in SEVEN years and in that time I've given them over 2 grand!

Fine, they only played 3 songs. They still traveled there and took all their gear so why not play a proper show while their there?
    Also, comparing SNL to this is laughable. This wasn't for promotion or to sell records.
  • StrykerStryker Posts: 585
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Also, comparing SNL to this is laughable. This wasn't for promotion or to sell records.

Actually, that's exactly what they (or any artist) do when they play SNL. Just saying.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    when they did the guitar hero thing or whatever i thought it was a closed case then. plus the unofficial verizon tour of 06, selling 05 mp3 bootleggs for nearly the same price as the packaged 03 cds..... so much of what they have recently done reeks of money, and only money.
    that's my point. SNL sells records and playing for Target execs doesn't.
    Stryker420 wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

Actually, that's exactly what they (or any artist) do when they play SNL. Just saying.
    when they did the guitar hero thing or whatever i thought it was a closed case then. plus the unofficial verizon tour of 06, selling 05 mp3 bootleggs for nearly the same price as the packaged 03 cds..... so much of what they have recently done reeks of money, and only money.

wow...seriously?
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,763
    oh no, they are trying to promote themselves and make money at what they do for a living. :shock: freakin' sellouts MANNNNNN!!! who cares. :roll:
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    spankyMP wrote:
    oh no, they are trying to promote themselves and make money at what they do for a living. :shock: freakin' sellouts MANNNNNN!!! who cares. :roll:

you're right. who cares? those of us who call them sell-outs don't care that they're sell-outs, but we're just annoyed with the people who can't see it for themselves. I for one am fine with Pearl Jam being sell-outs so long as they rock my balls off at that Virginia show in two months.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    ComeToTX wrote:
    I only support them when I get what I want? They haven't played a proper show in my state in SEVEN years and in that time I've given them over 2 grand!

Fine, they only played 3 songs. They still traveled there and took all their gear so why not play a proper show while their there?

I wasn't referring to you directly, but addressing many of the complaints on this board. I'm from Texas also so I definitely understand how you feel. I don't consider the Target performance any more "selling out" than many other things the band has done throughout its career.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • ComeToTX wrote:

that pisses me off too. and i dont want to hear any more bullshit about "PJ has to keep costs down by not dragging their equipment and crew everywhere."
  • I love PJ and don't really care if folks feel they have sold out.

I just wanted to share lyrics to a lovely Tool song.
    cheers.

Was OGT,
    From '92,
    The first EP.

And in between
    Sips of Coke
    He told me that
    He thought
    We were sellin' out,
    Layin' down,
    Suckin' up
    To the man.

Well now I've got some
    You should know that
    I'm the man,

And if I'm the man,

Then you're the man, and

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
    And you bought one.

So I've got some
    You should know that
    I'm the man,

If I'm the fuckin' man
    So you can

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
    And you bought one.

All you read and
    Wear or see and
    Hear on TV
    Is a product
    Begging for your
    Fatass dirty
    Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
    Send more money
    Fuck you, buddy.
    God Loves Pearl Jam
  • I wish that those of you throwing the term sell-out around so loosely would just stop, and step back and judge these guys for their body of work so far and not just what you perceive as a recent trend towards the mass-marketing or over-saturation of their music. Forging an insanely successful 20 year career in such a volatile, black hole of an industry like this one takes sacrifice. I doubt they were thrilled about becoming involved in the Sony machine all those years ago, but to get their music out there, you make the sacrifice. Now, here we are 20 years later and we have seen the Target commercial, and the Guitar Hero thing, and the Verizon bootleg thing, and so on and so forth. Bottom line is, these guy's have families now and with them approaching their fifties, moderation is going to be the key to continuing to see this band on any sort of regular basis. I mean, if they were still doing 4 month long 80-something date tours than there would be no need to find alternate means of revenue. However, they have earned the right after 2 decades of doing this to spend their time with their families, and through touring in moderation hopefully go on well into their fifties as a touring act. The alternative is they continue to grind out massively expansive tours that wear them out, keep them from their families, and would ultimately lead to them disappearing for a long time (in my opinion.) Now those of you who say, 'give me a break, they have enough money, they dont need any more, etc." are being ridiculous. These guys have a chance to be able to provide for their families and THEIR families long after they are gone. You can't tell me that seeing them a couple of times in a Target commercial or hearing about them playing 3 songs with Norah Jones, or playing their songs in guitar hero, or being able to buy their bootlegs through Verizon is not worth the fact that they can stay off the road for another month and be with their families. You can't tell me it's not a decision you would also make. Just because you dont LIKE it, doesnt mean they are "sellouts."

I am not an apologist by any means. I simply get frustrated when people do lame things like declare a birth and death date of a band based on when they deemed them a "sellout." This is a real business, with real people, who have real lives, and at some point they need to step back a little bit and live their life away from us without having to deal with the financial ramifications of it. They've earned the right. Just like Pete and Roger earned the right to make a bunch of money perking people's ears up when they watch CSI or an older Nissan commercial, when they no longer felt the need to spend months and months and months on the road. Calling someone a sellout is something I did when i was like 14 and was pissed at the direction freakin' Green Day was headed. I am almost 30 now and recognize the human element in all of this and I think some of you should back up and try and do the same. I'll leave it at that. I'm psyched for the shows in May.
  • HbudjrHbudjr Posts: 150
    I love PJ and don't really care if folks feel they have sold out.

I just wanted to share lyrics to a lovely Tool song.
    cheers.

Was OGT,
    From '92,
    The first EP.

And in between
    Sips of Coke
    He told me that
    He thought
    We were sellin' out,
    Layin' down,
    Suckin' up
    To the man.

Well now I've got some
    You should know that
    I'm the man,

And if I'm the man,

Then you're the man, and

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
    And you bought one.

So I've got some
    You should know that
    I'm the man,

If I'm the fuckin' man
    So you can

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
    And you bought one.

All you read and
    Wear or see and
    Hear on TV
    Is a product
    Begging for your
    Fatass dirty
    Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
    Send more money
    Fuck you, buddy.
    WOW that pretty much sums it up!!!! Great Post!! Pearl Jam are who they are and like most I love the music the lyrics and everything else that comes with them call them sell outs all you want!!! They will NEVER make everyone happy christ peeps....
    8/23/2009- Chicago- United Center
    5/6/2010- Columbus- Nationwide Arena
    6/26/2011- Detroit- Fox Theater- EV Solo
    9/22/2012- Atlanta- Piedmont Park
    10/11/2013- Pittsburgh - Consol Energy Center
    11/26/2013 - Oakland - Oracle Arena
    10/1/2014 - Cincinnati - US Bank Arena
    10/16/2014 - Detroit - Joe Lewis Arena
    4/26/2016 - Lexington - Rupp Arena (Hometown Show)
    8/20/2016 - Chicago - Wrigley Field
  • HbudjrHbudjr Posts: 150
    I wish that those of you throwing the term sell-out around so loosely would just stop, and step back and judge these guys for their body of work so far and not just what you perceive as a recent trend towards the mass-marketing or over-saturation of their music. Forging an insanely successful 20 year career in such a volatile, black hole of an industry like this one takes sacrifice. I doubt they were thrilled about becoming involved in the Sony machine all those years ago, but to get their music out there, you make the sacrifice. Now, here we are 20 years later and we have seen the Target commercial, and the Guitar Hero thing, and the Verizon bootleg thing, and so on and so forth. Bottom line is, these guy's have families now and with them approaching their fifties, moderation is going to be the key to continuing to see this band on any sort of regular basis. I mean, if they were still doing 4 month long 80-something date tours than there would be no need to find alternate means of revenue. However, they have earned the right after 2 decades of doing this to spend their time with their families, and through touring in moderation hopefully go on well into their fifties as a touring act. The alternative is they continue to grind out massively expansive tours that wear them out, keep them from their families, and would ultimately lead to them disappearing for a long time (in my opinion.) Now those of you who say, 'give me a break, they have enough money, they dont need any more, etc." are being ridiculous. These guys have a chance to be able to provide for their families and THEIR families long after they are gone. You can't tell me that seeing them a couple of times in a Target commercial or hearing about them playing 3 songs with Norah Jones, or playing their songs in guitar hero, or being able to buy their bootlegs through Verizon is not worth the fact that they can stay off the road for another month and be with their families. You can't tell me it's not a decision you would also make. Just because you dont LIKE it, doesnt mean they are "sellouts."

I am not an apologist by any means. I simply get frustrated when people do lame things like declare a birth and death date of a band based on when they deemed them a "sellout." This is a real business, with real people, who have real lives, and at some point they need to step back a little bit and live their life away from us without having to deal with the financial ramifications of it. They've earned the right. Just like Pete and Roger earned the right to make a bunch of money perking people's ears up when they watch CSI or an older Nissan commercial, when they no longer felt the need to spend months and months and months on the road. Calling someone a sellout is something I did when i was like 14 and was pissed at the direction freakin' Green Day was headed. I am almost 30 now and recognize the human element in all of this and I think some of you should back up and try and do the same. I'll leave it at that. I'm psyched for the shows in May.
    +1 Great 2nd post!!!!
    8/23/2009- Chicago- United Center
    5/6/2010- Columbus- Nationwide Arena
    6/26/2011- Detroit- Fox Theater- EV Solo
    9/22/2012- Atlanta- Piedmont Park
    10/11/2013- Pittsburgh - Consol Energy Center
    11/26/2013 - Oakland - Oracle Arena
    10/1/2014 - Cincinnati - US Bank Arena
    10/16/2014 - Detroit - Joe Lewis Arena
    4/26/2016 - Lexington - Rupp Arena (Hometown Show)
    8/20/2016 - Chicago - Wrigley Field
  • jordan kjordan k Posts: 196
    No offence to anyone saying the band are sell outs but what planet are you living on?

How have you not sold out in your life? Cause if you have a job working for anyone but yourself guess what: you're a sellout (myself includes).
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

• PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,645
    They played 3 songs...about 13 minutes..and some would like to use that to tear down a 20 year career...

Illegal downloading made it so Pearl Jam couldn't just say fuck the videos and promotion and magazines..cause no one would buy their CD's or come to their shows and they would be irrelevant.

Now if it is so bad that it tarnishes the meanings of songs then you need to realize WHEN the song was written and what it meant then..yes song meanings change over time in your life, but that is your perception. Maybe Not For You loses some meaning when Ed sings it today..but it sure didn't back in the day..they have evolved..the music is a snapshot in time..maybe not timeless..but that's for future generations to decide.

And what proof do you have about water in the wine bottle?? I know there have been some shows were Ed has been a little drunk the last few years.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23