The PJ sell-out debate ends here

Comments

• EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 740
    JeffSide wrote:

Does anyone else out there put up every single concert up for download?

Yes, Numerous bands...

Good for them. PJ bootlegs used to go for like $40-100 back in the 90s in my area. I have always thought it was a cool thing for them to do. $10 to dl a 2.5 hour show is a pretty good deal IMO. Pretty sure they could charge more if they wanted to .
  • GTFLYGIRLGTFLYGIRL Posts: 760
    it's a business. business deals are made.

ooohhhh... pearl jam played a 15 minutes set at a corporate event for the corporation that they made a huge business deal with earlier in the year. whatever. sell outs? whatever................. :lol:
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dunkman wrote:
    Kings of Leon
    Arcade Fire
    Muse
    Radiohead
    Raconteurs

all of those bands were £30 or less.
    It's beyond me how any of them with the possible exception of Radiohead, and that's a stretch, can be considered in the same league as Pearl Jam.

I never said they were... but in todays terms they are more culturally relevant and all of their current releases outsell Pearl Jam's current releases. So in terms of stature, which was the point all along, these bands have a bit more clout when it comes to current fans and the number of purchases.

PJ tickets are double the price of a Muse or Radiohead ticket... why? why is this? It's quite simply that they can and will make a lot of money from an extremely devoted fan base.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    ComeToTX wrote:
    zootown wrote:
    If you don't like the way a band conducts business or think they're hypocrites, why support them? It's real simple.
    Just drop your membership and don't buy any of the bands merchandise.

THIS would be the response I would bet that any of band members (especially Jeff or Eddie who run the band for all intensive purposes) would give if they could be honest....in fact, I once made the mistake of commenting about Eddie's voice showing some wear and tear from smoking....and needless to say one of the band said "if you dont like it, then dont listen to it" and promptly abandoned his drink and left me sitting with my foot firmly planted in my mouth! Bottom line: I think that PJ has been steadfast about trying to be fair to their fanbase, but make no mistake, money and having as much control as possible over their music has been taking precedence over "fighting the man" for a long long time.

Some of us like the music and put the things you mentioned aside.

Im with you....I will decide if I like a band based on ONE THING....the music. The one "personal" aspect of this band that I have always liked and I actually feel they have been consistent with is that they have always tried to do things THEIR WAY...with no apologies or real explanation. Partnering with Verizon or Target was what they saw as their next, best move so that is what they did. I will continue to support this band if and only if their music continues to inspire and challenge me, the only reason I would ever support a band.

And just for a little perspective, outside of the amazing Neil Young, just about everyone has allowed their music to be used by other companies. The one that comes to mind the most is the Beatles- who many still consider the greatest rock music ever....regardless of whatever business decisions Paul McCartney made, its the music that matters.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • breath123breath123 Posts: 397
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    Kings of Leon
    Arcade Fire
    Muse
    Radiohead
    Raconteurs

It's beyond me how any of them with the possible exception of Radiohead, and that's a stretch, can be considered in the same league as Pearl Jam.

I never said they were... but in todays terms they are more culturally relevant and all of their current releases outsell Pearl Jam's current releases. So in terms of stature, which was the point all along, these bands have a bit more clout when it comes to current fans and the number of purchases.

PJ tickets are double the price of a Muse or Radiohead ticket... why? why is this? It's quite simply that they can and will make a lot of money from an extremely devoted fan base.

First off it's stupid to compare radiohead and Pearl jam

Radiohead is an insanely popular band. Pearl Jam gave that up with no code and downshifted into a cult favorite.

I don't think really anyone outside the insanely dedicated fan base even knows they're still around, thus the target deal. The verizon thing is interesting. Is anyone sure they collected 1 red cent from Verizon? I think it was a way of staying relevant. U2 took a ton of grief over the U2 ipod. In reality, they did it for free latching on to the next big thing.

Ticket prices are another thing all together. I compare PJ prices to bloodsuckers like fleetwood mac, the Eagles and yes, our favorite anti corporate warrior uncle Neil Young. By comparison, they are inexpesive. Also I have a low 10c # my seats are always good and I know I would never get them if I weren't. If I were a 10c member stuck in the 400s, that 75.00 would probably seem pretty pricey.

I am sure you are no longer going to shows however because you want your protest to be noted and you wouldn't want to look like you were supporting sell outs like Pearl Jam.
  • dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    Kings of Leon
    Arcade Fire
    Muse
    Radiohead
    Raconteurs

I don't know that this is a valid analysis. For better or worse, many fans really don't give a shit about the latest release of older bands. I haven't heard anything 'relevant' from Rush since 1990, but I'll still go to a show and suffer through the newer songs to hear the classics I love. Same with KISS, U2, Aerosmith, etc., etc., etc. Now, there certainly are cores of die hard fans for these bands who love the last release as much as the first, but there are a ton of other fans who love the band with not much love for the latest stuff. I just don't know that the sales figures of the latest album is an accurate barometer of 'stature'. It certainly should be a piece of the equation, but it's not THE equation, IMO.
    And why shouldn't they? Not to mention that I stand by my assertion that they still are better than most, even if they're not the best. And, come on... I don't think the Radiohead fan base can compare. Like it or not... believe it or not, so much of this is decided by business issues. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised to find that Radiohead's prices weren't dictated by economic models about what price points will ensure the most sold out shows, and were solely due to Thom and the gang saying, "Ya' know... $30 a ticket is enough."
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
  • Haywood YablomeeHaywood Yablomee Posts: 608
    edited March 2010
    JeffSide wrote:

Does anyone else out there put up every single concert up for download?

Yes, Numerous bands...

Good for them. PJ bootlegs used to go for like $40-100 back in the 90s in my area. I have always thought it was a cool thing for them to do. $10 to dl a 2.5 hour show is a pretty good deal IMO. Pretty sure they could charge more if they wanted to .

Bootlegs in the mid 90's were $20 or $25 for single disc show and $40 or $50 for double disc. That was the going rate then. Its was the cheaper rate at the record conventions and the higher rate via Goldmine, Etc... I spent every dime I had on them in the early to mid 90's while in college. Not sure where you got $40 to $100 from...
    Post edited by Haywood Yablomee on
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    If we're truly going to debate about PJ selling out, wouldn't it be fair to note them folding in the fight against Ticketmaster? :?

It could be worse people. Eddie could be a surprise judge on American Idol or something...

Anyway, if a band "sells out" and you don't dig what they're doing...part ways and stop following them if it's such a big deal. If you want security in your favorite band/artist not selling out, then you'd be better off following Ian MacKaye.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • BUSH-lager wrote:
    Is it as obvious to anyone else that no matter how many examples people give for the band, ummm, going against its perceived principles (I know you can't say sellout for some reason,) there are some people who will just blindly defend them to the death?

The poster bringing up Green Disease and Soon Forget makes a valid point. Just because you can point to worse corporate behavior like G-Sachs, doesn't excuse lesser offenses. Is a guy who robs a liquor store as bad as a rapist? Hell no, but that doesn't make him a model citizen either.

Not suggesting PJ is immoral or doing anything wrong, just saying that you can't defend their recent business practices against the way they did business in the 1990's by simply pointing to dispicable actions by others.

The band has changed. They are a part of the establishment now. The very one they once railed against. Call it selling out, gone against their priciples, evolved, changed with the times to survive, whatever you wanna call it, they a'int the same band they once were.

So can we please stop this ridiculous cult-like defense of Ed as if he's still the same against the establishment warrior that he was in 1994? It doesn't wear well on anyone. You've changed, I've changed, they've changed. The sooner this is acknowledged by the fan base, the sooner we can all move on as a happy Jamily. (Sorry, I had to, lol)

the behaviour I find even more ridiculous is people assuming just because we are defending the band, does not in any way mean we are Eddie Fanboys. We are just logical and unassuming of the band's business practices.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • breath123 wrote:
    First off it's stupid to compare radiohead and Pearl jam
    I agree... I've never had a lukewarm fan of Radiohead come up to me and say, "You HAVE to see them live. Was never a huge fan, but I saw them recently and they just BLEW ME AWAY!!!" I have had someone do that to me with PJ after a MSG show last year, which is why I finally got off my ass and saw them for the first time later in Philly. Yes... it's stupid to compare a live PJ show to a Radiohead show :P ;)
    Radiohead is an insanely popular band.
    It's all subjective, but I don't know that I can agree with that. Coldplay is an insanely popular band. Radiohead has a very large VERY DEDICATED fanbase. However, I don't know that they're "and insanely popular band."
    I compare PJ prices to bloodsuckers like fleetwood mac, the Eagles and yes, our favorite anti corporate warrior uncle Neil Young. By comparison, they are inexpesive.
    EXTREMELY inexpensive, by comparison.
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
    dcfaithful wrote:
    If we're truly going to debate about PJ selling out, wouldn't it be fair to note them folding in the fight against Ticketmaster? :?

Ahh pearl jam revisionist history, my favorite.

they didn't fold, they got their asses kicked and not one other powerful band at the time backed them. Their solution was to make the system work for them.

and another thing, no one ever seems to remember that there was HUGE PJ backlash and a lot of people said "shut up and play"

In my opinion, anyone who felt that way at the time needs to bow the fuck out of this discussion.
  • dcfaithful wrote:

It could be worse people. Eddie could be a surprise judge on American Idol or something...

Anyway, if a band "sells out" and you don't dig what they're doing...part ways and stop following them if it's such a big deal. If you want security in your favorite band/artist not selling out, then you'd be better off following Ian MacKaye.

But they still sing the songs about NOT selling out while they have Verizon banners hanging on both sides of the stage!!!

"Never shook Satan's hand, look see for yourself. You'd know it if I had, that shit don't come off"
    Apparently Ed found a pretty good hand sanatizer.... :lol:

"Who set the standard, born to be rich? Such fine examples, skinny little bitch. Model, role model, roll some models in blood"
    Dedicated to Jill :lol:

"Irony can be so ironic sometimes." Steven Wright
    Radiohead is an insanely popular band.
    It's all subjective, but I don't know that I can agree with that. Coldplay is an insanely popular band. Radiohead has a very large VERY DEDICATED fanbase. However, I don't know that they're "and insanely popular band.

perhaps. I think I just am surrounded by rabid radiohead fans. I however, am the only one of my group who talks about PJ.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    breath123 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Ahh pearl jam revisionist history, my favorite.

they didn't fold, they got their asses kicked and not one other powerful band at the time backed them. Their solution was to make the system work for them.

and another thing, no one ever seems to remember that there was HUGE PJ backlash and a lot of people said "shut up and play"

In my opinion, anyone who felt that way at the time needs to bow the fuck out of this discussion.

I agree with you, and I wouldn't have said that back in the day, but I was so young I didn't even know what the hell was going on or even knew who PJ was....I'm just providing some basis for some people to think about.

Unfortunately for PJ it seems that if they do anything seemingly bigger than just playing an area (e.g. exclusively sell their album through Target) they're labeled as sell-outs.

Sometimes I think PJ has some difficult fans to please. :?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,634
    For anyone who thinks they have sold out, please suggest a solution (a reasonable/feasbile one) so that they won't sell out.

It's one thing to bitch; it's another to come up with solutions.

PS - they have not sold out, IMO.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• As I sit in my Pearl Jam/Ed shrine thinking about this thread, I have come to a conclusion.

The only sell out is the sell out who sold out the band with this sell out thread by a seller or manufacturer or consumer or processor of anything sold manufactured or processed...
    JeffSide wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

But they still sing the songs about NOT selling out while they have Verizon banners hanging on both sides of the stage!!!

"Never shook Satan's hand, look see for yourself. You'd know it if I had, that shit don't come off"

"Who set the standard, born to be rich? Such fine examples, skinny little bitch. Model, role model, roll some models in blood"

I am soooo glad that the films I made in college are safely tucked away in my garage. I'd hate for someone to think I'm the same person I was then. I've become a much more "even" thinker than the angry young man I was then. The art I make today reflects that growth.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,558
    JeffSide wrote:
    Keiran wrote:
    Let me start by saying I am in the same age group as Eddie and the boys. And no one loves the pissed off anti-establishment attitude of the band's early days more than me. Having said that, people grow and change, it's inevitable.

If you compared how I deal with responsibilities, solve problems and go about my daily life 20 years ago to how I function today, I would probably appear to be a major hypocrite. Fortunately for me, no one was keeping a written or video record lol!!!

Pearl Jam have grown and matured (quite gracefully I think) into early middle aged men. They have wives, children, 401k plans - all the same shit my parent's were dealing with when I was young and angst ridden myself. I swore I'd never buy into the system like my folk's did, and while I still hold many of my ideals in my heart, I'm sure I've sold out too. Cause now I have a husband, and a kid in college and a retirement plan to worry about.

It's just the way things work. It's Evolution Baby!!!!

I completely see your point (I'm in the same age group) but if thats the case the band should stop singing a good portion of their songs.
    Like I've already said... It's very ironic to see Ed sing Satans Bed while his supermodel wife sits side stage under the Verizon screens.

dude...i'm sorry. but you're pathetic. just utterly pathetic. bringing in his wife? good lord. :roll:

why don't you sit the next few plays out? huh champ?
    www.myspace.com
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    edited March 2010
    JeffSide wrote:

seriously dude?

badmouthing their families is not and never has been ok here. you know this. you'll get the thread locked and then start another thread about how the Mods are censoring your right to free speech?

not that he HAD to, but Ed has already addressed that. it's irrelevant to this discussion. so stop bringing it up (cuz by my count that's at least the 3rd time you have in this thread)
  • breath123 wrote:
    JeffSide wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

I am soooo glad that the films I made in college are safely tucked away in my garage. I'd hate for someone to think I'm the same person I was then. I've become a much more "even" thinker than the angry young man I was then. The art I make today reflects that growth.

You couldn't have said it any better!!!!
    "The films you made in college are safely tucked away at college"
    WHY IS PJ STILL SINGING SONGS ABOUT NOT SELLING OUT?
    They wanna sell out and alienate a good % of their base. FINE!!
    But RETIRE the sellout songs!!!!!
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,764
    breath123 wrote:
    JeffSide wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

yeah, but they were saying a lot of this stuff in their mid thirties.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • doompony wrote:
    JeffSide wrote:

seriously dude?

badmouthing their families is not and never has been ok here. you know this. you'll get the thread locked and then start another thread about how the Mods are censoring your right to free speech?

not that he HAD to, but Ed has already addressed that. it's relevant to this discussion. so stop bringing it up (cuz by my count that's at least the 3rd time you have in this thread)

I'm not badmouthing anyone!
    Ed is the one that wrote the lyrics and sings it!!!!
  • JeffSide wrote:

You crack yourself up going after band member's family? You're not funny.

You seem to have crawled out of the woodwork for the sole purpose of bitching about everything the band does. Crappy attitudes like this make me wish 10C would just voluntarily cancel some people's memberships...
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    JeffSide wrote:
    You couldn't have said it any better!!!!
    "The films you made in college are safely tucked away at college"
    WHY IS PJ STILL SINGING SONGS ABOUT NOT SELLING OUT?
    They wanna sell out and alienate a good % of their base. FINE!!
    But RETIRE the sellout songs!!!!!

Any fan who'd rather never ever hear songs like Satan's Bed and Corduroy again in concert based on some weird principle is pretty fucked up if you asked me.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

JeffSide wrote:
    doompony wrote:
    JeffSide wrote:

seriously dude?

not that he HAD to, but Ed has already addressed that. it's irrelevant to this discussion. so stop bringing it up (cuz by my count that's at least the 3rd time you have in this thread)

I'm not badmouthing anyone!
    Ed is the one that wrote the lyrics and sings it!!!!

fixed my original post.. forgot the ir in irrelevant.

ed wrote that song about a specific situation as far as i'm aware - the gaggle of supermodels coming on to him while his wife at the time was there or they knew full well he was taken. hence the "i'd stop and talk but i'm already in love" chorus.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I think we all need a

grouphug.gif
    how is corduroy about big business? i thought it was about fame and his jacket?
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • sell out or not sell outs who cares as long as the music is good, for tix prices I will just go to shows if I can afford it. It's not like it's life or death for me if PJ makes $$$ or plays corporate shows just remember they are just a band trying to stay in the new musical world. It's not 1994 anymore time change.
    those bold boys,and there beautiful boats
  • doompony wrote:
    how is corduroy about big business? i thought it was about fame and his jacket?

Ya... Corduroy kicks ass!