The PJ sell-out debate ends here

Comments

• currycurry Posts: 19
    yep they sell out alright ..........every arena they play in.......every poster they make..........
    They keep selling ......I keep buying.......MMMMMMMWWWWAAAAAAA...xxxxooooxxxxooo 8-)
    Love you guys!!!!!!
    do not put up more than you are willing to lose
  • dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    This debate will NEVER end!
  • PredakingPredaking Posts: 282
    Guess what? Everyone sells out. Get over it. You getting a paycheck? Sell out. You take a promotion to make more money? What a fucking sell out. I think the term "selling out" has jumped the shark.
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    js280023 wrote:
    Stop bitching about them selling out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. If u dont like it go listen to that band down at the local bar who is never gonna make it and give them ur money. They are a band. This is their job as well as their passion. God Dammit Mother Fucker. So tired of everyone calling them sell outs. I guess they should just pay for all of it themselves and go broke so they cant support themselves and their families. :D

i totally agree.....but calm down lol. They maybe be a liberal band but they still believe in Capitalism :D
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,594
    I decided to sell out yesterday.....sorry if I let anyone down
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,764
    curry wrote:
    yep they sell out alright ..........every arena they play in.......every poster they make..........
    They keep selling ......I keep buying.......MMMMMMMWWWWAAAAAAA...xxxxooooxxxxooo 8-)
    Love you guys!!!!!!

Uhhhhhh...check the goods section.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    doompony wrote:
    soon forget seems to be more about someone being ALL in for the money and loving nothing but money. counts his money every morning.. the only thing that keeps him horny...

pretty sure the guys are all in it for the love of their families, and making money to make their lives happy and easier is most likely driven by that love.

and if they get to buy a brand new calculator watch in the proceed and have some fun holidays and wear fancy suits to the rnr hof inductions then good on them. i used to buy a bunch of crap with my fortnightly pay packet. it was fun.

I always thought the Soon Forget to Bill Gates thing was strange. The guy has literally given billions to charity.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    JeffSide wrote:
    It's truly a sad day in the history of PJ.
    Although they really sold long before today, They are just shoving it in people's faces now.
    A few of us are trying to put our finger on when they jumped the shark.
    Some say 2006, When they brought out the lasers during the shows and Ed was drinking water out of his wine bottle at every show.I think it was even earlier... When Jack was booted.
    So after going to 100 plus shows starting at Cameo 1992, I bid PJ adu.

R.I.P.
    Pearl Jam
    1990-2010

...1990-1998 Ed is rolling over in his grave...

Really?
  • And will people please stop saying Backspacer is an independent release? REALLY? (to quote Weekend Update) Target is an indie record store? Really?!Was Chinese Democracy an independent release? Was The Eagles last album an independent release?

it is an independent release. do you not know the difference between a record label and a distributor?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • over bends wrote:
    But flying to Minnesota to play for suits on the same ticket as the Jonas Bros? Not too many people can see the logic behind doing that other than the financial side. Any other "compromise" could generally be seen as for the benefit of the music, the fans, necessary evils in the long run. This is just weird... I swear, if Eddie every received a Grammy today, he'd probably stand tall and "thank the Academy." It just makes people wonder if this is the same band they've been following most of their lives,

I think the band is scratching their heads and are collectively wondering if these are the same fans that have been following them for most of their careers.

You're off your rocker if you think Ed would ever thank the academy. they were up for an award recently, and not one of them was in attendance. there goes that theory.

That being said, if he decided one day he wanted to accept an award, I wouldn't give a shit. But most of you would kill yourselves thinking your saviour eddie had been taken over by the devil.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    *Fingers in ears* lalalalalalalalalala. Pearl Jam has no faults, they know best, it doesn't matter that they played this corporate gig...for Target no less. Better than Wamart...(insert your own rationalizations here)
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    JeffSide wrote:
    Although they really sold long before today, They are just shoving it in people's faces now.
    Some say 2006, When they brought out the lasers during the shows and Ed was drinking water out of his wine bottle at every show.I think it was even earlier... When Jack was booted.

R.I.P.
    Pearl Jam
    1990-2010

When was Jack booted? He has said himself that he left due to mental illness and other health problems that didn't enable him to tour. He made the decision to leave..he wasn't booted.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    DS114969 wrote:
    JeffSide wrote:

R.I.P.
    Pearl Jam
    1990-2010

When was Jack booted? He has said himself that he left due to mental illness and other health problems that didn't enable him to tour. He made the decision to leave..he wasn't booted.

yup. jack was never booted, he left on his on merit.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    And will people please stop saying Backspacer is an independent release? REALLY? (to quote Weekend Update) Target is an indie record store? Really?!Was Chinese Democracy an independent release? Was The Eagles last album an independent release?

it is an independent release. do you not know the difference between a record label and a distributor?

It's not independent unless they are puttin the money up themselves.
  • TheOxTheOx Posts: 27
    Anyone have more pictures from the Target Center?

I want to see what shirt Mike is wearing because I gave him a shirt at the Spectrum, just want to confirm or deny that he is wearing it.

No real desire to complain about selling out or not just want to see a picture of the greatest band in the world.
    Thank you.
    Anyone have more pics from the Target CenteR?
    Anyone?

Bueller
  • breath123breath123 Posts: 397
    DewieCox wrote:
    And will people please stop saying Backspacer is an independent release? REALLY? (to quote Weekend Update) Target is an indie record store? Really?!Was Chinese Democracy an independent release? Was The Eagles last album an independent release?

It's not independent unless they are puttin the money up themselves.

Target did not finance Backspacer. The band made the CD and Target just put it out. PJ also made the deal that if Target really bothers you, you can buy it at an indie store or at the ten.....

oh, what's the point?
    breath123 wrote:
    Target did not finance Backspacer. The band made the CD and Target just put it out. PJ also made the deal that if Target really bothers you, you can buy it at an indie store or at the ten.....

So, you're saying the release of BS was DEPENDANT on Target footin the bill for distribution.

Target deal doesn't bother me, but it's not an independent release.
  • breath123breath123 Posts: 397
    DewieCox wrote:
    breath123 wrote:

So, you're saying the release of BS was DEPENDANT on Target footin the bill for distribution.

by the strictest definition of the term in these circumstances....yes.

I guess what I thought we were discussing was whether or not Target has any control over the band. They don't of course. The way people are talking about it you'd think Ed would be required to wear a red vest and a Target nametag during the concerts.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    breath123 wrote:

it's an independent release. Independent, in the true sense, means independent of a record label. Do they have a label? No, then it's independent. did they get financed for the record by target? no, then it's independent. were target executives listening to the record before it could be sent out for mastering to make sure the product was what they wanted? no, then it's independent.

who stocks and ships the product is not indicitive of being independent or not in the music industry. by that logic every single band who's ever sold a cd through a store, indie mom and pop or not, has not released a record independently.

I signed a consignment deal with an independent record store to sell my band's cd......does that mean he's my record label now? :lol: no, I'm pretty sure it's an independent release. :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    JeffSide wrote:

Does anyone else out there put up every single concert up for download?

Yes, Numerous bands...

care to name any so i can go download them, examples PLEASE!!!
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • mikepegg44 wrote:
    JeffSide wrote:

Does anyone else out there put up every single concert up for download?

Yes, Numerous bands...

care to name any so i can go download them, examples PLEASE!!!

I know the Black Crowes do. I'm still waiting for my show to be put up. Hopefully soon..........
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Mitch8415Mitch8415 Posts: 227
    Can someone (preferably those screaming "sellouts!") explain to me what the fundamental difference is between PJ playing a 3 song set at Target in 2010 which was the sole distributor of their 9th studio album, and PJ playing a 3 song set at Tower Records in 1991 who was (along with a lot of other stores) distributing their 1st studio album?
    ~ Chicago 5/16/06 ~ Chicago 8/23/09 ~ Chicago 8/24/09 ~
    ~ Kansas City 5/3/10 ~ Alpine Valley 9/3/11 ~ Alpine Valley 9/4/11 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 7/19/13 ~ Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ~ St. Louis 10/3/14 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ~ Wrigley Field 8/18/18 ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/18 ~
    ~ Fenway Park 9/4/18 ~ Denver 9/22/22
  • mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    ComeToTX wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:
    All bands need a big box retailer? 99.9% of bands don't have one. How many people are walking into Target to buy vinyl anyway? Yes, other bands release their concerts but they were one of the first.

uh......what?

Sorry, I know bands need places to sell their records but 99.9% of bands don't have their own exclusive retailer. I misspoke.

I have no problem with the Target deal. I never did. This discussion was about them flying to MN to play a 3 song set for Target employees. People say this band loves their fans but obviously they love Target employees more becuase they aren't playing shows in most of the country.

best part is there was a sign on the door at the target center that said " no pearl jam fans aloud, this show is to piss them all off."
    I mean, how dare they take some time off and do a few things here and there that are out of the ordinary. I mean did you have such a problem with them going to snl. they don't need to come to your backyard, they don't even need to come to your city...buy a fucking bootleg and turn it up loud and close your eyes. It is like you are at every show.

maybe they should just constantly tour just so you might be able to see them at your convenience. Ever been on Tour? do you have any fucking idea how much it takes out of you to travel the country constantly . . . . and if you don't think they do shit for their fans that is above and beyond what most do you are an idiot. Bands of their size don't have to do shit anymore, they play because they love it, they play epic shows to give back to the fans, you do realize they could just come out for about 1.25 hours and then leave right? they play harder and longer than most and that is directly because of the fans and giving good value.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • pompeiipompeii Posts: 83
    edited March 2010
    pearl jam is a band and a business..... and to be playing for 20 years and running a successful business for 20 years is a huge accomplishment........ and a very difficult task...... there are very few bands, if any.... that have accomplished this..... remember this.... and most importantly, enjoy them while they are still here......bands don't last forever
    Post edited by pompeii on
    DewieCox wrote:
    breath123 wrote:

it's an independent release. Independent, in the true sense, means independent of a record label. Do they have a label? No, then it's independent. did they get financed for the record by target? no, then it's independent. were target executives listening to the record before it could be sent out for mastering to make sure the product was what they wanted? no, then it's independent.

who stocks and ships the product is not indicitive of being independent or not in the music industry. by that logic every single band who's ever sold a cd through a store, indie mom and pop or not, has not released a record independently.

I signed a consignment deal with an independent record store to sell my band's cd......does that mean he's my record label now? :lol: no, I'm pretty sure it's an independent release. :lol:

The release is totally dependant on Target fronting the money to print up copies of the album. Virtually the same thing a record company does.

It's not nearly the same thing as you selling your albums on consignment, b/c you are the one paying to print up copies of the album.

Yes, in the classic sense it's an indie release, but the rules have changed. To call it indie in this day in age is an insult to bands that have legitimately made it on their own.
    best part is there was a sign on the door at the target center that said " no pearl jam fans aloud, this show is to piss them all off."
    I mean, how dare they take some time off and do a few things here and there that are out of the ordinary. I mean did you have such a problem with them going to snl. they don't need to come to your backyard, they don't even need to come to your city...buy a fucking bootleg and turn it up loud and close your eyes. It is like you are at every show.

maybe they should just constantly tour just so you might be able to see them at your convenience. Ever been on Tour? do you have any fucking idea how much it takes out of you to travel the country constantly . . . . and if you don't think they do shit for their fans that is above and beyond what most do you are an idiot. Bands of their size don't have to do shit anymore, they play because they love it, they play epic shows to give back to the fans, you do realize they could just come out for about 1.25 hours and then leave right? they play harder and longer than most and that is directly because of the fans and giving good value.

I know you said I was an idiot but do you really think playing a song on SNL for millions of people is the same as playing for Target?

No, I've never been on tour but I do travel 20 day per month all over the country for work. I don't stay in 5 star hotels or fly on private planes or ride on million dollar busses like PJ either.

I don't think their shows are any longer than the other bands I go see anymore. And no I don't think they go above and beyond for their fans these days. Give me and example of this. Or you can disregard this because I'm and idiot.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,594
    ComeToTX wrote:
    because I'm and idiot.
    :|
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    ComeToTX wrote:
    because I'm and idiot.
    :|

his words not mine.