The PJ sell-out debate ends here

Comments

• zootownzootown Posts: 666
    Just an FYI... Eddie apparently commented on PJ's relationship with Target during the performance, just before Porch was played...you can find his comments in the "notes" section over at twofeetthick....
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    ComeToTX wrote:

I have no problem with the Target deal. I never did. This discussion was about them flying to MN to play a 3 song set for Target employees. People say this band loves their fans but obviously they love Target employees more becuase they aren't playing shows in most of the country.

Now THAT is a great point. They ignore huge chunks of the country, but obviously go out of their way (it's not like the Target convention was in NYC on Sunday after they were on SNL) for "the man" (if that's what you wanna call it).

People complain about $80 tickets, but maybe it's because they have to pay for tickets AND plane tickets/hotels because this band refuses to come anywhere near them for years at a time. Maybe.

And will people please stop saying Backspacer is an independent release? REALLY? (to quote Weekend Update) Target is an indie record store? Really?!Was Chinese Democracy an independent release? Was The Eagles last album an independent release?

ahhhhhhhhh, no you don't. if you CHOOSE to go see them pay the price, but I don't think you will die if you don't...last time I checked seeing pearl jam was not equal to death and taxes. HAVE TO!!!! that is ridiculous...Don't like that people don't come to your town, or even near it to play shows ... move. Fuck you people bitch. I have complained on this web site once and that was before I realized that 85% of the people in attendance at the first chicago show last year were ten clubbers. Jesus you people complain about everything. I bet if they played in your back yard you would call the cops and complain about the people who came to watch them
    yes it is independant. It doesn't have to be sold out of a trunk to be considered an independant release. They recorded and released it themselves with no record label doing all the behind the scenes work...but it seems like you deal in absolutes, so here is one, go fuck yourself
    and for the record, I live in Minneapolis, they come here once in a while, but keep in mind the last time they were here they OPENED for tom petty on two nights...it was fucking awful. Why they agreed to that is beyond me...wait that might be when they sold out...I take back everything

and never reference chinese democracy again.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

I have no problem with the Target deal. I never did. This discussion was about them flying to MN to play a 3 song set for Target employees. People say this band loves their fans but obviously they love Target employees more becuase they aren't playing shows in most of the country.

Now THAT is a great point. They ignore huge chunks of the country, but obviously go out of their way (it's not like the Target convention was in NYC on Sunday after they were on SNL) for "the man" (if that's what you wanna call it).

People complain about $80 tickets, but maybe it's because they have to pay for tickets AND plane tickets/hotels because this band refuses to come anywhere near them for years at a time. Maybe.

And will people please stop saying Backspacer is an independent release? REALLY? (to quote Weekend Update) Target is an indie record store? Really?!Was Chinese Democracy an independent release? Was The Eagles last album an independent release?

ahhhhhhhhh, no you don't. if you CHOOSE to go see them pay the price, but I don't think you will die if you don't...last time I checked seeing pearl jam was not equal to death and taxes. HAVE TO!!!! that is ridiculous...Don't like that people don't come to your town, or even near it to play shows ... move. Fuck you people bitch. I have complained on this web site once and that was before I realized that 85% of the people in attendance at the first chicago show last year were ten clubbers. Jesus you people complain about everything. I bet if they played in your back yard you would call the cops and complain about the people who came to watch them
    yes it is independant. It doesn't have to be sold out of a trunk to be considered an independant release. They recorded and released it themselves with no record label doing all the behind the scenes work...but it seems like you deal in absolutes, so here is one, go fuck yourself
    and for the record, I live in Minneapolis, they come here once in a while, but keep in mind the last time they were here they OPENED for tom petty on two nights...it was fucking awful. Why they agreed to that is beyond me...wait that might be when they sold out...I take back everything

I love that sentence... :lol::lol:
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,764
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

you are a very angry person that takes things in a message board way too seriously. pretty entertaining...
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    why is it so hard for people to understand what an independent release is?
    mike, what are you talking about? they played in MN the other day.

It's not. An independent release is a release that is fully funded by the band. Promotion and production of the actual album is clearly under partial control.

My question... Why is it so hard for people to realize that places like Target, Walmart and Best Buy do what record companies did before. The only thing that's changed is the name.
    care to name any so i can go download them, examples PLEASE!!![/quote]

I know the Black Crowes do. I'm still waiting for my show to be put up. Hopefully soon..........[/quote]

I watched the black crowes a long time ago in minneapolis for free at this silly festival downtown, it was a hell of a show, I didn't even know they still toured, will have to check out if they are coming here. I would like to see if the product is as good as I remember. One of my favorite albums ever was live at the greek with jimmy page. All the zepplin covers kicked major ass
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    - Joe Rogan
    ComeToTX wrote:

god damnit I hope you are kidding
    - Joe Rogan
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    care to name any so i can go download them, examples PLEASE!!!

I know the Black Crowes do. I'm still waiting for my show to be put up. Hopefully soon..........[/quote]

I watched the black crowes a long time ago in minneapolis for free at this silly festival downtown, it was a hell of a show, I didn't even know they still toured, will have to check out if they are coming here. I would like to see if the product is as good as I remember. One of my favorite albums ever was live at the greek with jimmy page. All the zepplin covers kicked major ass[/quote]

They're gearing up for some 20th anniversary stuff as well. There is some sorta acoustic re-recording project and they tour extensively every year.
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    i have some friends who were in a fairly popular nz band. when they tour dya know how much money they make? none. it costs them money to tour. hence, they don't do it very often.

i find it extremely bizarre that anyone would begrudge the band making money off us. they probably could afford to do a tour and charge the minimum ticket price to break even by why the hell should they?

ps the comment about ed wearing a red vest and nametag was excellent. i hope he does start wearing target name badges. because it would be FUNNY. maybe joe jonas is a nice kid and the band daughters have posters of him up on their walls.
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

god damnit I hope you are kidding

yeah
    edited March 2010
    you are a very angry person that takes things in a message board way too seriously. pretty entertaining...[/quote]

I am about as angry as kermit the frog. one of my favorite past times is needling people who are bitching about something that makes no sense to bitch about

I am actually having a great time, I am not taking any of this seriously, I just like the discussion. But never say you have to buy tickets to anything...unless it is the wiggles and they are for your kids... those you have to buy, unless you are in to that, which in that case see you there!

also, I get fed up with people who say sell out. it drives me crazy and always has

edit: oh and I was serious about the chinese democracy thing...never again!!!
    Post edited by mikepegg44 on
    - Joe Rogan
  • DewieCox wrote:

It's not. An independent release is a release that is fully funded by the band. Promotion and production of the actual album is clearly under partial control.

My question... Why is it so hard for people to realize that places like Target, Walmart and Best Buy do what record companies did before. The only thing that's changed is the name.

because I don't think it is the same. Target, to my knowledge, didn't front the band money for the recording process. they had no creative control or say in what singles went to radio, etc etc. WAY different than what a record company does. If they fronted the money for printing, that's called "putting in an order". isn't that just part of the cost of doing business? you order someone's product, you pay them for that product. that's a business deal, not a dependence issue.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    you are a very angry person that takes things in a message board way too seriously. pretty entertaining...

I am about as angry as kermit the frog. one of my favorite past times is needling people who are bitching about something that makes no sense to bitch about

I am actually having a great time, I am not taking any of this seriously, I just like the discussion. But never say you have to buy tickets to anything...unless it is the wiggles and they are for your kids... those you have to buy, unless you are in to that, which in that case see you there!

also, I get fed up with people who say sell out. it drives me crazy and always has[/quote]

it's cool. i've never said sell out because i don't care one way or the other. the ticket prices thing was something quoted in a thread...i didn't post that. i actually think the tickets are below market value and if they were more i would still buy them.
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    03/16/10: Target Center, Minneapolis, MN
    set: The Fixer, The Real Me, Porch
    TFT Notes: Pearl Jam play a surprise 3-song set at Target’s national manager’s meeting. “The Fixer” was the first single featured in a Target commercial, filmed live from the Showbox. The Who’s “The Real Me” is dedicated to Snowboarder Shawn White who as a Target sponsored athlete was also at the event. Ed spoke for a few minutes before “Porch” about how the partnership with Target came about, saying how before all the guys in the band got to play music for a living, they all just loved playing music and it was important to them that when it came to the business side of things that they wanted to make sure they conducted business ethically and Target let them do that. Continuing, Ed said the partnership only worked because there was mutual respect about how to work together and there wasn’t a focus on the bottom line, and that they each learned a lot from each other.
    DewieCox wrote:

because I don't think it is the same. Target, to my knowledge, didn't front the band money for the recording process. they had no creative control or say in what singles went to radio, etc etc. WAY different than what a record company does. If they fronted the money for printing, that's called "putting in an order". isn't that just part of the cost of doing business? you order someone's product, you pay them for that product. that's a business deal, not a dependence issue.

If PJ didn't have full creative control with Sony they shoulda got a new manager. Fronting the money for production is fronting the money for production regardless of what stage it comes in, imo.
  • ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 730
    doompony wrote:
    03/16/10: Target Center, Minneapolis, MN
    set: The Fixer, The Real Me, Porch
    TFT Notes: Pearl Jam play a surprise 3-song set at Target’s national manager’s meeting. “The Fixer” was the first single featured in a Target commercial, filmed live from the Showbox. The Who’s “The Real Me” is dedicated to Snowboarder Shawn White who as a Target sponsored athlete was also at the event. Ed spoke for a few minutes before “Porch” about how the partnership with Target came about, saying how before all the guys in the band got to play music for a living, they all just loved playing music and it was important to them that when it came to the business side of things that they wanted to make sure they conducted business ethically and Target let them do that. Continuing, Ed said the partnership only worked because there was mutual respect about how to work together and there wasn’t a focus on the bottom line, and that they each learned a lot from each other.
    obviously the band didnt learn how to market a product during thier target sponsorship.

backspacer was barely promoted. i think i saw ONE commercial the month before or after release date.

riot act got more promotion that backspacer
  • DewieCox wrote:

If PJ didn't have full creative control with Sony they shoulda got a new manager. Fronting the money for production is fronting the money for production regardless of what stage it comes in, imo.

it's rare for any band when they sign a major deal to have full control over what songs get on the record or which singles go to radio. some bands have more clout than others. I have no idea how much PJ had in those days.

fronting money for production, or simply ordering a product, whatever you wish to describe it as, doesn't mean they are dependent on them. agree to disagree on that one. :)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    DewieCox wrote:

it's rare for any band when they sign a major deal to have full control over what songs get on the record or which singles go to radio. some bands have more clout than others. I have no idea how much PJ had in those days.

fronting money for production, or simply ordering a product, whatever you wish to describe it as, doesn't mean they are dependent on them. agree to disagree on that one. :)

It's rare til you sell 1million albums in your 1st week. After that they coulda and shoulda had full control. They seemingly had some control from the get go or we'd still be getting singles from Ten(original issue), prolly b/c of Jeff and Stone, plus Vitalogy-Binaural was spent "pulling back".

Agree to agree to disagree. For the record, I'm not on either side of the fence about the whole sellout crap. They've just spent their whole careers "fighting the man". I can see how they've gotten older and their concerns have changed, but I also see why some fans are yelling "SELLOUTS!!".
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    Anyone else just not care that they're sell-outs? I for one don't. I'm not liking the musical direction with Backspacer but there's always next album to look forward to. But even though it's lame, I'm a little too old now to really care that Pearl Jam played for Target's national manager's meeting. So so long as they rock when I see them in concert, I don't care that they're sell-outs.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • i dont know about sellouts, i dont really care, but i just want to know why they can go out of their way to play Minnesota for Target people but not play Atlanta or Dallas for thousands of people who have waited years and spent untold amounts of money on them.
  • SW36403SW36403 Posts: 43
    I'm less upset about them playing a Target party as I am with them charging over $85 a ticket ($171 for a pr. in Boston). THAT upsets me. What happened to the "boys" keeping the ticket prices reasonable?
    "The waiting drove me mad"
  • mnjamfanmnjamfan Posts: 83
    MrSmith wrote:
    i dont know about sellouts, i dont really care, but i just want to know why they can go out of their way to play Minnesota for Target people but not play Atlanta or Dallas for thousands of people who have waited years and spent untold amounts of money on them.

+1

Or not stick around Minneapolis for one day to play a show for their true fans in the area....
  • mnjamfan wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    i dont know about sellouts, i dont really care, but i just want to know why they can go out of their way to play Minnesota for Target people but not play Atlanta or Dallas for thousands of people who have waited years and spent untold amounts of money on them.

+1

Or not stick around Minneapolis for one day to play a show for their true fans in the area....
    yeah that too.
  • TheOxTheOx Posts: 27
    PLEASE ANYONE GOT MORE PICS FROM TARGET CENTER

ANYONE WHO WAS THERE KNOW IF MIKE WAS WEARING A PETE TOWNSHEND T SHIRT PLEASE ANYONE?
    MrSmith wrote:

1,000,000% agree. that's my only complaint with the band.
  • ComeToTX wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

this is the EXACT issue I have with many on this board. This entitlement bullshit. "I have bought your albums, supported you, bought your merch, now you OWE me!".

I have spent lots of money on them. They've been to my city twice in 20 fucking years. Ya hear me bitching? Nope. People need to stop being such bratty babies on here.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • ComeToTX wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

this is the EXACT issue I have with many on this board. This entitlement bullshit. "I have bought your albums, supported you, bought your merch, now you OWE me!".

I have spent lots of money on them. They've been to my city twice in 20 fucking years. Ya hear me bitching? Nope. People need to stop being such bratty babies on here.
    dont know about entitlement, but i know what i would do in their situation. if i had millions of dollars, legions of fans, complete control of my art, powerful and influential friends, i sure as fuck wouldnt waste my time at a corporate Target show for a few managers to collect a paycheck instead of playing a show to the fans more than once a decade. thats just me. maybe i really am better than everyone else :roll:

and they dont owe me personally, but they do owe their fans collectively. they would tell you that much themselves. they should quit fucking around.

oh wait i forgot, they cant afford tour anymore what with gas prices and whatnot..
  • mikepegg44 wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

OK, let me rephrase that... maybe it's because should someone CHOOSE to go see Pearl Jam, then they HAVE to spend money to travel to other states/across the country to see them. How is that? Happy now? Yeah, I don't HAVE to see Pearl Jam. No one does. I didn't say that. But I do WANT to see them, and they don't play anywhere near me for years. I totally agree with CometoTX, we think along the same lines. So yeah, I'm going to see the band this tour for the first time in 4 years, but guess what? By deciding to see them, I HAVE to pay for plane tickets and hotels. If I just sat around waiting for them to come near me so that I could CHOOSE to go see them, I'd be waiting the rest of my life. You are too angry, man. Chill.

Also, be careful what you say re: "go fuck yourself." I jokingly replied to a thread with "fuck you" in the response one time (jokingly!) and got a PM from Kat saying it broke the guidelines. You can tell me to fuck myself all you want, I don't care, but the mods might.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!