The PJ sell-out debate ends here

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Backspacer is quickly approaching the 500,000 mark which will make it one of the biggest selling independent albums ever.

3) Their tickets are still cheaper than any band of their stature.

their stature? depends on how thats defined i suppose. I personally think that if stature comes into it then sales of 500,000 are pretty poor say in comparison to Taylor Swift or someone like that who has sold many many millions... are we going by back catalogue and influence as a definition of stature? if so then who would be a good comparison to PJ... cos I've heard and read lots of other big bands mentioned and yet their tickets are on the whole a bit cheaper...

PJ at london last year were $181 which is roughly £120 our money... which is £60 per ticket.

For exactly half that ticket cost i watched the following bands

Kings of Leon
    Arcade Fire
    Muse
    Radiohead
    Raconteurs

all of those bands were £30 or less.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    well said...

Look at Tom Petty's recent tour.....he segregates the best tickets out for $300/ticket....for Tom Petty

Who like the Stones, U2, The Who, and Paul McCartney have been around for 30+ years and is appealing to an older crowd with more money. They are not peal jam's contemporaries. Green Day, Radiohead, Muse, etc are. You can't compare them.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    sgtppr67 wrote:

So exactly what prevents them from doing what Radiohead did with "In Rainbows"? That's the model PJ should follow and that's a band that has managed to keep their dignity fully intact. I doubt any of their children are goin hungry either.

Radiohead put out a streaming quality audio version of In Rainbows for the name your own price venture.That's all good if you like to listen to your music on myspace, that's not me though. After they did that guess what came next? There RECORD LABEL put the cd into all of the stores to sell the physical product. They got a too much credit for this.

this is wrong.

Radiohead asked fans to purchase the album for whatever they liked and then they could download the album to keep for eternity... not on myspace... thats inaccurate. You owned the album for $0.00 if you wished... thereafter the BAND themselves released the album, NOT the record company. Again this sold pretty well out of fan loyalty, but it didnt set the world alight.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    If you don't like the way a band conducts business or think they're hypocrites, why support them? It's real simple.
    Just drop your membership and don't buy any of the bands merchandise.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,594
    well said...

Look at Tom Petty's recent tour.....he segregates the best tickets out for $300/ticket....for Tom Petty

Who like the Stones, U2, The Who, and Paul McCartney have been around for 30+ years and is appealing to an older crowd with more money. They are not peal jam's contemporaries. Green Day, Radiohead, Muse, etc are. You can't compare them.

give me a break....I guarantee you that if PJ did that there would be plenty of those tickets sold

they don't do it....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • psmitty76psmitty76 Posts: 28
    I dont knock them for the Target show. They have to support there families. But a little of the mystique has died for me today. Does Eddie really drink water out of his wine bottle? Long Live 90-98 Vedder.
    psmitty76 wrote:
    I dont knock them for the Target show. They have to support there families. But a little of the mystique has died for me today. Does Eddie really drink water out of his wine bottle? Long Live 90-98 Vedder.

metamucil

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • just think of the money PJ would make if they sold VIP packages....my wife loves SUGARLAND
    (I know, I know...) and you can get FRONT ROW with a pass to watch soundcheck and a meet & greet after the show with a cocktail party, autographed merch, etcetera for $500 a ticket...and they are pretty big in country music...I wonder what would happen if PJ did this........
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
    just think of the money PJ would make if they sold VIP packages....my wife loves SUGARLAND
    (I know, I know...) and you can get FRONT ROW with a pass to watch soundcheck and a meet & greet after the show with a cocktail party, autographed merch, etcetera for $500 a ticket...and they are pretty big in country music...I wonder what would happen if PJ did this........

Based on their changes in attitudes and business practices in recent years, I have zero doubt that it is coming within the next few years.
    well said...

give me a break....I guarantee you that if PJ did that there would be plenty of those tickets sold

they don't do it....

No way. Pearl Jam are not in a position to charge $300 for tickets. They aren't at that status and never will be. As I said, the other bands appeal to older people with money to burn.
    just think of the money PJ would make if they sold VIP packages....my wife loves SUGARLAND

Nickelback does that too....for a sum they will come out and party with you and other VIP's for 30 minutes or so

ridiculous

• No way. Pearl Jam are not in a position to charge $300 for tickets. They aren't at that status and never will be. As I said, the other bands appeal to older people with money to burn.

News Flash....Pearl Jam's fan-base majority is well over thirty..............
    No way. Pearl Jam are not in a position to charge $300 for tickets. They aren't at that status and never will be. As I said, the other bands appeal to older people with money to burn.

Newsflash....Pearl jam started in 1991. Those other bands started in the 60's and 70's thus appealing to 50-60 year olds with money to burn.
  • edited March 2010
    tonifig8 wrote:
    Check out this Gem from back in the days- I just picked it up today! What do you think?
    " I always tell people that you don't want to be my friend"
    , ed ved.
    Signed
    "That's Right", Eddie Vedder
    . Just thought it kind of related to the whole Sell out topic....

ed%20%285%29.jpg

picked it up today, huh?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eddie-Vedder-Signed ... 27b03af41b

"I am a pearl jam collector, not someone in the business of selling signatures"

:lol::lol::lol:

I still love you though man!
    Post edited by Snoopy Died For Our Sins on
  • No way. Pearl Jam are not in a position to charge $300 for tickets. They aren't at that status and never will be. As I said, the other bands appeal to older people with money to burn.

Newsflash....Pearl jam started in 1991. Those other bands started in the 60's and 70's thus appealing to 50-60 year olds with money to burn.

All I'm sayin' is that I agree that it's coming.....I disagree with you saying they will "never" be in that 'class'
  • BW144529BW144529 Posts: 14
    In the words of Tool.

"All you know about me is what I've sold you, Dumb f**k. I sold out long before you ever heard my name. I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh*t, and you bought one."

This is my opinion of the whole "Sold out" crap. You know nothing about the band other than what they sold you. You are not better than them, because you stick to some misguided morals about what it is to protest "the man". You live in a western power nation, you pay taxes, you buy clothes here, you eat food here, you are a sellout. Next time you do hundreds of benefit shows in the name of charitable causes, donate millions to those same causes, enlighten, educate, young and old alike, spend most of your time trying as hard as possible to please millions of ravenous fans world wide, then you can perhaps make a statement like "sellout". Until then understand that just because you may of bought your shirt from the salvation army, doesn't make you better than the dude who got his from walmart. check you ego at the door dude.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,764

Based on their changes in attitudes and business practices in recent years, I have zero doubt that it is coming within the next few years.

I have no doubt this will happen either and then people will defend that as a way to feed their families.

What a tired argument! I have friends who are trying to feed their families and aren't putting 4 story fire poles in their homes for fun. Ed has a house in Seattle to store his surfboards and drink beer and throw axes. They are FUCKING MILLIONAIRES!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    All I'm sayin' is that I agree that it's coming.....I disagree with you saying they will "never" be in that 'class'

I apologize, I misinterpreted. Yes they will be in that class if they continue to tour....just not yet. And i'm not sure that if they went that route it would be successful. The people who would be buying those tickets are pretty much all on this board and being that there has been a small mutiny over $80 ticket prices, I can't see them paying $300 but who knows. We are a crazy group of people.
  • BW144529BW144529 Posts: 14
    I was just thinking..... I am poster artist. I do some work for small local bands, friends, etc. If a band like Nickelback came up to me tomorrow and said "We'll give you 50 thousand dollars to make posters for our next tour" I would take that in a heart beat. I hate Nickelback.... Hate them. Despise them. Loathe them. But, if it meant I could quit my crappy part time job, stay at home, draw all day, make posters, watch movies, I'm in. Couldn't careless about principle blah blah blah. How many people on here would do something similar? How many people here have bought clothes, toys, food, from China? No one here has a clean sheet. I never, ever, put PJ up on some godly pedestal when it comes to principle or integrity. Everything is business. Everything is about money. Denying it doesn't make it untrue. Just makes you a naive idiot... if you live in north america you are as much apart of the problem as any band taking money from a target, walmart, etc. Don't care what you read, or what you do, what you wear, what you eat. You benefit from this countries foreign policies and greed. You suck too. Get over it and move on. Get over it and do something about it other than wearing second hand clothes and eating organic pickles. You have changed nothing and never will, because big business controls you, just like it does any band that was or wants to be famous.
    BW144529 wrote:
    I was just thinking..... I am poster artist. I do some work for small local bands, friends, etc. If a band like Nickelback came up to me tomorrow and said "We'll give you 50 thousand dollars to make posters for our next tour" I would take that in a heart beat. I hate Nickelback.... Hate them. Despise them. Loathe them. But, if it meant I could quit my crappy part time job, stay at home, draw all day, make posters, watch movies, I'm in. Couldn't careless about principle blah blah blah. How many people on here would do something similar? How many people here have bought clothes, toys, food, from China? No one here has a clean sheet. I never, ever, put PJ up on some godly pedestal when it comes to principle or integrity. Everything is business. Everything is about money. Denying it doesn't make it untrue. Just makes you a naive idiot... if you live in north america you are as much apart of the problem as any band taking money from a target, walmart, etc. Don't care what you read, or what you do, what you wear, what you eat. You benefit from this countries foreign policies and greed. You suck too. Get over it and move on. Get over it and do something about it other than wearing second hand clothes and eating organic pickles. You have changed nothing and never will, because big business controls you, just like it does any band that was or wants to be famous.

I agree but there's a big difference because they are already rich. They didn't need Target but it was worth a ton of money. They don't need to raise ticket prices as much as they have but it allows them to do less shows for the same money.

If I were broke I would take money from anyone too. If I were rich I would probably be a little more picky about what I did for the ca$h.
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 740
    Its not 1991 anymore. Things cost more. For you and everyone else. It is what it is. Sorry folks.....but bands and artists evolve. Times have changed. If you think they sold out and don't like them anymore......don't buy their albums or go to the shows. Its real easy. They have the right to make money. Sometimes its not about you.

But lets not act like they are doing the next Transformers soundtrack or Eddie is joining the next cast of the next version of CSI. Mike hasn't accepted his invite on "Dancing with the Stars" yet. Are they booking Vegas for months at a time yet? Floor tickets don't start at $250-300 like they do for U2.........do they?

All bands need a big box retailer like Target. Guess what happens if they don't have one? The CD will cost you like $20 bucks!!! Can you imagine the complaining then?

Does anyone else out there put up every single concert up for download?
    Its not 1991 anymore. Things cost more. For you and everyone else. It is what it is. Sorry folks.....but bands and artists evolve. Times have changed. If you think they sold out and don't like them anymore......don't buy their albums or go to the shows. Its real easy. They have the right to make money. Sometimes its not about you.

But lets not act like they are doing the next Transformers soundtrack or Eddie is joining the next cast of the next version of CSI. Mike hasn't accepted his invite on "Dancing with the Stars" yet. Are they booking Vegas for months at a time yet? Floor tickets don't start at $250-300 like they do for U2.........do they?

All bands need a big box retailer like Target. Guess what happens if they don't have one? The CD will cost you like $20 bucks!!! Can you imagine the complaining then?

Does anyone else out there put up every single concert up for download?

All bands need a big box retailer? 99.9% of bands don't have one. How many people are walking into Target to buy vinyl anyway? Yes, other bands release their concerts but they were one of the first.
    ComeToTX wrote:
    All bands need a big box retailer? 99.9% of bands don't have one. How many people are walking into Target to buy vinyl anyway? Yes, other bands release their concerts but they were one of the first.

uh......what?

• BW144529 wrote:

Ask Brad Klausen of his opinion of the direction PJ has taken...
  • concertaholicshirtconcertaholicshirt Posts: 263
    edited March 2010
    dunkman wrote:
    Kings of Leon
    Arcade Fire
    Muse
    Radiohead
    Raconteurs

all of those bands were £30 or less.
    It's beyond me how any of them with the possible exception of Radiohead, and that's a stretch, can be considered in the same league as Pearl Jam. Seriously... give me a break. I go to a LOT of shows. PJ is the 'youngest' of these, but AC/DC, Metallica, Bruce and PJ are the only four HUGE bands that come to mind that are gentle with fans when it comes to ticket prices, with PJ being the best. I can't believe people whinging about $60-80 ticket prices. Freakin' U2 was charging $250 (plus fees) for shite seats in the back rows up to half way back of the first level at the outdoors Giants Stadium last year and has a $250 ticket in the 2nd level right now for the July 19 show, both seats of which are probably equivalent to being midway back in the 400 Level at the indoors MSG. Clapton is a guitar hero of mine, but an utter whore in recent years when it comes to ticket prices. George Michael, KISS and even Journey are all brutal. Even the Jane's Addiction/NIN shows last year were $80 for a decent seat, and I don't consider even the combined weight of the double bill to be anywhere near PJ's stature.

Freakin'-A, People, cut my Crackahs a break here. Go out and earn a little more money... quit blowing money on XBox/PS3/Wii games.... make your own coffee... drive a cheaper car.. get a roommate. Do what it takes to buy the things that really matter to you. Bottom line... lighten the freak up and quit expecting the world to bend to your whims. Hearing 'Evenflow' in Philly was one of the greatest experiences in my concertgoing life, and I've had a lot of great moments. I don't begrudge these guys anything, and am grateful for the phenomenal joy they've brought me with their songs over the years. Get a little perspective, Folks.
    Post edited by concertaholicshirt on
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic

• Does anyone else out there put up every single concert up for download?

Yes, Numerous bands...
    ComeToTX wrote:

uh......what?

Sorry, I know bands need places to sell their records but 99.9% of bands don't have their own exclusive retailer. I misspoke.

I have no problem with the Target deal. I never did. This discussion was about them flying to MN to play a 3 song set for Target employees. People say this band loves their fans but obviously they love Target employees more becuase they aren't playing shows in most of the country.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    If you don't like the way a band conducts business or think they're hypocrites, why support them? It's real simple.

Well now you're just being logical.
    This is no place for that!!!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666

THIS would be the response I would bet that any of band members (especially Jeff or Eddie who run the band for all intensive purposes) would give if they could be honest....in fact, I once made the mistake of commenting about Eddie's voice showing some wear and tear from smoking....and needless to say one of the band said "if you dont like it, then dont listen to it" and promptly abandoned his drink and left me sitting with my foot firmly planted in my mouth! Bottom line: I think that PJ has been steadfast about trying to be fair to their fanbase, but make no mistake, money and having as much control as possible over their music has been taking precedence over "fighting the man" for a long long time.
    I hold the pain, release me!
    zootown wrote:

THIS would be the response I would bet that any of band members (especially Jeff or Eddie who run the band for all intensive purposes) would give if they could be honest....in fact, I once made the mistake of commenting about Eddie's voice showing some wear and tear from smoking....and needless to say one of the band said "if you dont like it, then dont listen to it" and promptly abandoned his drink and left me sitting with my foot firmly planted in my mouth! Bottom line: I think that PJ has been steadfast about trying to be fair to their fanbase, but make no mistake, money and having as much control as possible over their music has been taking precedence over "fighting the man" for a long long time.

Some of us like the music and put the things you mentioned aside.