MAY 13 BRISTOW, VA ROLL CALL

Comments

• blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    If my co-worker won't go with me, or if I'm shut out of tenclub tickets, I have a backup plan - YARN and KNITTING! I'm knitting as many Christmas gifts this year as possible, and I already finished kniting one. For now I have a knitting tangent as my co-worker is having a baby, and I have some very happy happy color yarn to make a blanket :D

Its cool to have multiple things to make me happy. I wish PJ was closer, but maybe this is a sign to work on my Christmas knitting.

there you go!
    great idea.
    :lol:
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• After checking the logistics of this venue and flights, hotels, transportation to venues this one isn't in the cards for me. Have fun everyone! I'll be at Cleveland and Buffalo I hope, where I can use these legs I was given to walk in and out of the shows back to the hotel.
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    I'll be there - now I just have to find someone to go with me!
  • thrakerthraker Posts: 61
    I'm a little sad that it's at this venue. The last time I went there was for the Radiohead monsoon. Thankfully we planned enough time to get there early to see the Liars. There was a ton of people that were given the runaround before the show and never even made it in. It then took us nearly 3 hours to get out of the parking lot after the show. Make sure to plan your entire day around the black hole that is Bristow Virginia.
  • thraker wrote:
    I'm a little sad that it's at this venue. The last time I went there was for the Radiohead monsoon. Thankfully we planned enough time to get there early to see the Liars. There was a ton of people that were given the runaround before the show and never even made it in. It then took us nearly 3 hours to get out of the parking lot after the show. Make sure to plan your entire day around the black hole that is Bristow Virginia.

I agree that this is the worst venue in the D.C. area.

I would have loved to see them play Wolf Trap.

I did see the Riot Act show here and things were much better than Radiohead. I lucked out with parking in the 1st row off the row during RA show. I then headed out once YLB began and was on the road in no time. I am sure I won't be as lucky this time.

What I might do is look for parking away from the venue and hike to the show.

I do believe the rains must have limited some of the parking, since the lot is the lawn.

Oh well, it is going to be hard passing up tickets to PJ playing in my backyard.
    What I might do is look for parking away from the venue and hike to the show.

another good idea

• I was just on google maps and there is a shopping center 1.6 miles away.

Go in buy a pack of gum (keep the receipt) and thus you are a customer with the right to park.

I might take a ride over to the venue in the coming weeks and scope out the area for additional parking.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    I was just on google maps and there is a shopping center 1.6 miles away.

Go in buy a pack of gum (keep the receipt) and thus you are a customer with the right to park.

I might take a ride over to the venue in the coming weeks and scope out the area for additional parking.

I parked about that far when i went to Mansfield on 08, becuase i read the horror stories of getting out of that place. That ended up being a good move by me, as i had NO problems getting out of ther. I fucked up and did something right for a change> :lol:

I was thinking of doing what you said, but i'm not from around ther, so i appreciate that info. Do you know if thers a Resturant/Bar in that shopping center? Not only to eat/drink some, but those places usually stay open a little later, and that way i would feel a little safer leaving my vehicle ther.

Any other suggestions on where to park? I'm not that OLD yet, so i don't mind walking if its gonna save me a HEADACHE!!

But, first, WE have to SCORE TICKETS!!!!!!!!1
  • Vedder1029Vedder1029 Posts: 179
    I saw PJ in 2003 and Radiohead in 2008 at Bristow. It's a pretty cool outdoor venue, safe area, decent sound (much better than Verizon Center).

It can be a cluster-fuck getting in and out, but if you plan to get there early, you should be fine! Just expect traffic on 66 to be slow, especially since its on a weekday. Getting out is another story... as long as it's not raining like crazy (RH 08) it shouldn't take more than an hour 1/2 to get out!

As far as walking to the venue, I don't see it being an issue... it really is a safe area, but walking back to any of the shopping centers could be a little dangerous at night... no lit roads.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • cutz wrote:

I parked about that far when i went to Mansfield on 08, becuase i read the horror stories of getting out of that place. That ended up being a good move by me, as i had NO problems getting out of ther. I fucked up and did something right for a change> :lol:

I was thinking of doing what you said, but i'm not from around ther, so i appreciate that info. Do you know if thers a Resturant/Bar in that shopping center? Not only to eat/drink some, but those places usually stay open a little later, and that way i would feel a little safer leaving my vehicle ther.

Any other suggestions on where to park? I'm not that OLD yet, so i don't mind walking if its gonna save me a HEADACHE!!

Virginia Gateway Shopping Center appears to have a bar/grille as well as a Target, Giant Food, and many other stores.

So it will be safe. It is suburbia so safety isn't an issue here.

I am not sure if the bar is still open for all I have stated is via google maps.

Once I drive out I see what is really there and the best route.

Google now has directions for biking. I did this and was taken on roads other than route 66.

Route 66 is the major road for all those who work in and near DC and live in the western parts of VA. So traffic will be horrible. Plan on getting there early. 4-5pm starts rush hour with the peak from 5 to 6 and even longer.

Let me know where you are coming from and I can possibly help.
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    I don't know that I would walk that. There is no sidewalk and very little shoulder to walk down, so it could be a bit dangerous. I worked in the parking lots years ago, and the best advice is to park on the perimeter (SUV's especially, easier to get up/down the curbs).
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    i wonder if the band was fooled into this venue by Live Nation saying "its just 40 minutes outside of DC" or something.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    i wonder if the band was fooled into this venue by Live Nation saying "its just 40 minutes outside of DC" or something.

I second that. Nissan is awful, the parking situation is terrible regardless of how you try to park to get out. It doesn't help when there is a monsoon for the Radiohead show and cause a whole parking lot to close and then have 4 foot pools scattered throughout the venue.

There is absolutely no metro from DC to the venue.

They should play a show at Constitution Hall or 9:30
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • CJMST3K wrote:

maybe, but I have a hard time buying that.

If they were really concerned about the environment public transportation would be the 1st question and demand.

There are plenty of other venues in this area that are serviced by the metro.

Again, you can get 6 miles from the venue on the VRE train from Union Station in DC. This will require and overnight stay with a Hampton Inn 1.5 miles from the show.

The VRE is commuter train and stops running at 8pm. Not ideal.
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    Again, it was totally fine for me in 2003. I got there around 6:30pm with no problem, and got out of the lot within a half hour after the show.

I think the rain was the big thing with Radiohead but of course it's better to plan for some hassle just in case.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • CJMST3K wrote:

I second that. Nissan is awful, the parking situation is terrible regardless of how you try to park to get out. It doesn't help when there is a monsoon for the Radiohead show and cause a whole parking lot to close and then have 4 foot pools scattered throughout the venue.

There is absolutely no metro from DC to the venue.

930 club is way too small, the bitch factor on this board would be through the roof because most people would NOT be getting in (and it is not controlled by Live Nation). Constitution Hall is a great venue, I saw them there in 98, but it's also not a LiveNation house and so that is probably out of the question unless it is for a special benefit or something.

Jiffy Lube Live (nee Nissan Pavilion) is great for ME, its fairly close and I can get in and out of there in a flash on back roads (I don't need 66). The reason they are playing there is because it is a Live Nation owned and operated venue and they get the best deal by playing there.

MPP is not a LN venue so the promotor (TM/LN) is of course going to incent them to play where they get the most $$ - both for the band and themselves. It doesn't make the band greedy, it's just good business for everyone involved.

The absolute worst DC area venue is Merriweather Post, I'm so happy they stopped playing that sh*thole back in 2000.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I plan to buy tickets tomorrow, and then use the next 2 months to plan how to get there :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I plan to buy tickets tomorrow, and then use the next 2 months to plan how to get there :)

me too. It can be done!
  • uskidsknowuskidsknow Posts: 143
    This may be a shot in the dark, but is anyone from NYC heading down to this show and back after? I'd love to go but getting there is pretty impossible on public transportation.

I've got gas money!
    dream the dreams of other men...you will be no one's rival
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

i hear that! :lol:

thanks for the info on the shopping center.

in 94 they played fairfax, i was wondering is that near the venue in bristow?

Ryan_WFC wrote:
    Again, it was totally fine for me in 2003. I got there around 6:30pm with no problem, and got out of the lot within a half hour after the show.

I think the rain was the big thing with Radiohead but of course it's better to plan for some hassle just in case.

hhhmmm...Thanks for posting that.

• the patriot center is a 10,000 seat indoor arena on the Campus of George Mason University.

Remember GMU in 2006 NCAA tourney run. As a #11 they made the final 4, beating N.C. and Uconn along the way.

I would have loved being at that show. But I was still up in NY at that time.
  • Who is going to stay at the Hampton and mile and a half away. we could just hike it as group. Can it be done? That is only like a 20 minute walk. Any bars/restaurants near the hampton?
    Hey brother.
  • Who is going to stay at the Hampton and mile and a half away. we could just hike it as group. Can it be done? That is only like a 20 minute walk. Any bars/restaurants near the hampton?

I live about 25 miles from the venue and plan on taking a trip over soon in order to get an idea of the area.

Another poster has advised against walking, stating they had once worked at the venue.

But the past the past 5-10 years there has been a lot of construction in this area.

Looking at google maps there appears to be a sidewalk the for the majority of the distance. With 2 crosswalks controlled by traffic lights.

The typical fast food joints are around the hampton and at one point there was a bar/grille. But I am unsure if that is still open.

Again I plan on checking things out in the coming days. Stayed tuned....
  • CJMST3K wrote:

Why not the Black Cat if we are dreaming...
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • CJMST3K wrote:

Why not the Black Cat if we are dreaming...

or Lake Fairfax in Reston like in 1991
    stpmattb wrote:

No, not really. 20 miles, here is a map:

oh ok thanks.
    is this this the same matt as last VA tour? ---hey-ya!

cool beans.

• AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    PRESENT!!!!
    Hope to see all you fan club members there, old friends and new friends alike!
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."

I live about 25 miles from the venue and plan on taking a trip over soon in order to get an idea of the area.

Another poster has advised against walking, stating they had once worked at the venue.

But the past the past 5-10 years there has been a lot of construction in this area.

Looking at google maps there appears to be a sidewalk the for the majority of the distance. With 2 crosswalks controlled by traffic lights.

The typical fast food joints are around the hampton and at one point there was a bar/grille. But I am unsure if that is still open.

Thanks man, that would be great.
    Hey brother.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    cutz wrote:

Virginia Gateway Shopping Center appears to have a bar/grille as well as a Target, Giant Food, and many other stores.

So it will be safe. It is suburbia so safety isn't an issue here.

I am not sure if the bar is still open for all I have stated is via google maps.

Once I drive out I see what is really there and the best route.

Google now has directions for biking. I did this and was taken on roads other than route 66.

Route 66 is the major road for all those who work in and near DC and live in the western parts of VA. So traffic will be horrible. Plan on getting there early. 4-5pm starts rush hour with the peak from 5 to 6 and even longer.

Let me know where you are coming from and I can possibly help.

I'm coming from South Jersey(not far from Philly).