MAY 13 BRISTOW, VA ROLL CALL

Comments

• svaughansvaughan Posts: 18
    Good God, I freaking hate that venue, but I'm sure I'll go. It really is the most miserable experience getting there and then getting out after the show. The sound at the Verizon Center sucks, but the location is perfect.
  • uskidsknowuskidsknow Posts: 143
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I had tickets to see Radiohead there. I got to the parking lot line at like 6:30pm. Didn't get parked and into the show until 10pm. ...PJ also did a "soft opening" there if I remember the last time they played there. Glad they're nearby, but it's the most Eco-Unfriendly and mismanaged venue on the east coast.

Get to the parking lot by 2pm, or risk missing some of the show.

I echo this. I, too, attempted to see the Radiohead show. I got to the venue around 7pm and at 10:15 my friend and I turned around. The rains were horrific, the traffic was even worse, and it would have taken hours to get out of there. It's always been my least favorite plce to see a concert. May 13th is the day after my birthday, though......
    dream the dreams of other men...you will be no one's rival
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    uskidsknow wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I had tickets to see Radiohead there. I got to the parking lot line at like 6:30pm. Didn't get parked and into the show until 10pm. ...PJ also did a "soft opening" there if I remember the last time they played there. Glad they're nearby, but it's the most Eco-Unfriendly and mismanaged venue on the east coast.

I echo this. I, too, attempted to see the Radiohead show. I got to the venue around 7pm and at 10:15 my friend and I turned around. The rains were horrific, the traffic was even worse, and it would have taken hours to get out of there. It's always been my least favorite plce to see a concert. May 13th is the day after my birthday, though......

I hope you got a refund!

Even though we entered just prior to 10pm, I made sure we got a refund for not only the tickets, but a separate refund for the service fees.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • worst place in the world. Pearl Jam is the *only* band I would see there. Have actually missed shows because of the traffic, and have gotten trapped in the parking lot till 3AM because of poor management/traffic direction. Parking lot attendants were saying "F this" and walking off the job.
  • serpent boyserpent boy Posts: 372
    I'll be there! If any band in the world is worth all the traffic/hassle, it's Pearl Jam. :)

In 2003, I saw them there and had my PJ moment. I'd been a fan since the start and it was my 2nd time seeing them, but the show made me realize that this band IS the best band ever. I think it was the second encore. Some goons started a mini-fire on the grass and danced around it during "DTE." We also got STBC, Know Your Rights, Why Go, Jeremy, Indifference. Amazing.
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    I'll be there. The 2003 show was my first concert even though I've been a fan from the start. Here's my quick story. I got my son & daughter tickets to the Bristow concert, plus a couple of extra tickets so they could take some friends with them. They refused to go unless I came with them. I was the one who introduced them to Pearl Jam, and we had shared the music for years on family trips. I thought I was too old to go to a rock concert, but they insisted that I go. I went & had a great time. Everyone was so nice! And I've been going to concerts every since, and not caring if I'm one of the oldest fans around!
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • katelliskatellis Posts: 521
    edited June 2015
    --
    Post edited by katellis on
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    CJMST3K wrote:

Because of that Radiohead show I am not even thinking of seeing PJ there. I got in okay, but getting home was a nightmare! I'm going to try for MSG and look to make a long weekend in NYC.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • This is great. My ol' lady wants to go visit relatives in VA this year, and I keep coming up with excuses. But they live a half hour away from Bristow, so I think I'll finally gonna be going to meet the in-laws..
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    why is the venue bad? old building?

oh well i'll be there nonetheless.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    why is the venue bad? old building?

oh well i'll be there nonetheless.

The venue itself isn't bad, it's just the parking logistics that suck. On the bright side those that are planning on going may have a better chance at good seats with a higher number! :thumbup: Enjoy everyone!
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    CJMST3K wrote:

God I was at that nightmare of a show too...the flood from hell. Don't like this venue either but stoked about the show so I guess I am in.
  • luv-ed91luv-ed91 Posts: 215
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Plan extra 2 hours at least because of the parking. You may be fine, but I experienced the hell that is Bristow parking.

LOL - Thanks for the heads up - I'd be pissed if I drove ALL THAT WAY and end up missing the show. Hell would have no fury like this woman scorned :twisted: :mrgreen:

So I guess this means there will be no pre-party - since this venue is in the middle of bum-fuck? Maybe a parking lot pre-party? I know it's still early . . . just wondering.
    -- If I had known then, what I know now . . .

8/31/98 - Raleigh
    8/4/00 - Charlotte
    4/16/03 - Charlotte
    10/6/04 - Asheville
    6/16/08 - Columbia
    6/20/09 - EV Memphis
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    luv-ed91 wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Plan extra 2 hours at least because of the parking. You may be fine, but I experienced the hell that is Bristow parking.

LOL - Thanks for the heads up - I'd be pissed if I drove ALL THAT WAY and end up missing the show. Hell would have no fury like this woman scorned :twisted: :mrgreen:

So I guess this means there will be no pre-party - since this venue is in the middle of bum-fuck? Maybe a parking lot pre-party? I know it's still early . . . just wondering.

After an hour or two in this non-moving line wrapped around the venue, a car ahead of us burst into flames or something like 30 cars ahead around a bend. Saw the smoke... then saw it firetrucks. Then I think it was moved by a forklift out of the line. During that whole time the line didn't move much either. It was the only entertainment to be had during that horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible wait.

My brother in law, having missed their last show a few years earlier at Merriweather decided to take a party van and leave DC with some friends around noon. They got to the lot in plenty of time, and skipped the opening act to drink in the van. Then when Radiohead went on they got out of the van and went up to the lawn. They were all wearing heavy rain gear. Within minutes they were completely soaked underneath, and I think the temperature was 50 degrees. Some people on the steep lawn, when they fell because of the soaked lawn, gravity made them slide down the hill, and then into huge pockets of water. They watched 3 songs, got into the van and went home. Death from being soaking wet in driving rain in 50 degree weather was not part of their plan.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • I live 23 miles away and I am unsure if I want to go.

Like others have stated, one road in one road out.

The traffic is INSANE.

Horrible location.
  • tubes10stubes10s Posts: 528
    i'll be there. i saw a concert there last summer, and while the traffic does suck, some simple planning can greatly ease the pain. last summer, i got there around 4pm for a 7:30 concert, and i made sure to bring enough food to grill before and after the show. maybe waited in a total of 30 minutes of traffic, and got to enjoy some extra tailgating time!
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
    what no jokes about lube yet? :lol:

here's a pic
    http://www.swrodgers.com/images/ourport ... vilion.jpg
    damn sure is off by its self look at those trees.

i'll be sure to pack a cooler to chill out with after the show since traffic's so bad.

• MF3973MF3973 Posts: 5
    count me out.... i hate this venue..... wish they were playing Verizon or Merriweather

another thing that sucks is the Pre-sale date and time.... 4pm EST on St Patrick's Day???? WTH!? :x
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    tailgate :D
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,385
    I really hate this venue too. However, I'm going and I'm taking the next day off of work. If I don't get out until late, so be it.

On a side now, I'm a single, looking for another single to split tix with. PM me. :)
  • so in yous guys opinions who have been there before, is this a good place to go if you're fan club number isn't that great and you're looking to get closer than you would be at the popular places like msg, vegas, boston etc? was thinking about this place and kansas city hoping my number would get decent seats.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
    MF3973 wrote:

another thing that sucks is the Pre-sale date and time.... 4pm EST on St Patrick's Day???? WTH!? :x

i'll be drinking green beer ordering tixs that day.

lephrechansmileywithbeer.gif

:roll:
    :lol:

• so in yous guys opinions who have been there before, is this a good place to go if you're fan club number isn't that great and you're looking to get closer than you would be at the popular places like msg, vegas, boston etc? was thinking about this place and kansas city hoping my number would get decent seats.

I was there for Riot Act and had my usual seats 12th row.

I would think KC would be a better bet for a small show than Bristow.

Yes, Bristow is very rural, however it is within the DC metro area--population 5 million. The area is served by 3 major airports BWI, Dulles, and National so a lot of people will travel here.

But, yes, there will be less of a demand than NYC or Boston.
  • are there any places to sleep around there?
    Hey brother.
  • lazyjc22lazyjc22 Posts: 130
    The area around the venue has built up a lot since 2003. Not in the middle of nowhere, suburbia, more like, but there is just the one road you have to navigate to get in and out. I work about 2 miles away, thinking about hiking it, but it is nice to have a base camp for tailgating. Police aren't too strict about it, as long as you aren't walking around with open containers (just use cups).
  • I was bummed earlier because of no PA dates, but I typed in Bristol on map quest and that city is almost in NC, but I discorvered my error and I have friends who live 15 minutes away from Bristow. So excited! I hope my number 26XXXX scores me decent seats.
    Hey brother.
  • See you there!
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • WM31482WM31482 Posts: 563
    CJMST3K wrote:
    luv-ed91 wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

After an hour or two in this non-moving line wrapped around the venue, a car ahead of us burst into flames or something like 30 cars ahead around a bend. Saw the smoke... then saw it firetrucks. Then I think it was moved by a forklift out of the line. During that whole time the line didn't move much either. It was the only entertainment to be had during that horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible wait.

My brother in law, having missed their last show a few years earlier at Merriweather decided to take a party van and leave DC with some friends around noon. They got to the lot in plenty of time, and skipped the opening act to drink in the van. Then when Radiohead went on they got out of the van and went up to the lawn. They were all wearing heavy rain gear. Within minutes they were completely soaked underneath, and I think the temperature was 50 degrees. Some people on the steep lawn, when they fell because of the soaked lawn, gravity made them slide down the hill, and then into huge pockets of water. They watched 3 songs, got into the van and went home. Death from being soaking wet in driving rain in 50 degree weather was not part of their plan.

I got scared halfway through that story and stopped reading-

How do I get there from Baltimore or NYC without having to say horrible 8 times?
  • I live 23 miles away and I am unsure if I want to go.

Like others have stated, one road in one road out.

The traffic is INSANE.

Horrible location.

Are you fucking kidding me? You live twentythreemiles away. Even if you sit in the parking lot until every car is gone and have a clear open road you will get home before most people that leave before you.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
  • lazyjc22lazyjc22 Posts: 130
    WM31482 wrote:
    I got scared halfway through that story and stopped reading-

How do I get there from Baltimore or NYC without having to say horrible 8 times?

Plan on getting into the D.C. area after morning rush hour (9-10AM) and before the start of the afternoon rush hour (3-4PM). There are a lot of places within a few miles of the venue to eat, shop, kill time, but give yourself plenty of time to head over to Jiffy Lube Live (used to be called Nissan Pavillion). The only road that leads you to it will back up for a big show like this.