*** 2010 FIFA World Cup ***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    US Roster:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton, England), Tim Howard (Everton, England).

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes, France), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Clarence Goodson (IK Start, Norway), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan, Italy), Jonathan Spector (West Ham, England).

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Michael Bradley (Borussia Moenchengladbach, Germany), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus, Denmark), Stuart Holden (Bolton, England), Jose Torres (Pachuca, Mexico).

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Hull, England), Edson Buddle (Los Angeles), Robbie Findley (Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Puebla, Mexico).

Good for Gomez to make it. Wish Beaskly wasn't on it, I hate him.
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    What time are Scotland on guys? :thumbup: Oh that's right we decided not to enter this time! :)
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Only four guys on the roster play here in the US? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I can see it both ways. They cut their teeth against much better competition, so they're better prepared for the Copa Mundial every four years? Yes. Should they be playing domestically so more kids will be drawn to play soccer in the US, rather than play football or basketball, thus yielding a better crop of talent 15-20 years from now? Yes again. We can't have it both ways.

I know I've generalized for the sake of argument, but still, it begs the question.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    PS my buddy is from Italy and he is constantly saying the reason why the Itals are the best is because their entire Copa Mundial roster is made up of guys who play in Italy. I don't completely agree, but it's worth mentioning.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Only four guys on the roster play here in the US? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I can see it both ways. They cut their teeth against much better competition, so they're better prepared for the Copa Mundial every four years? Yes. Should they be playing domestically so more kids will be drawn to play soccer in the US, rather than play football or basketball, thus yielding a better crop of talent 15-20 years from now? Yes again. We can't have it both ways.

I know I've generalized for the sake of argument, but still, it begs the question.

I think it is a fantastic thing. Way too many players were playing in the US last time around and 2006 was a complete disaster. I don't think any defender that plays in the MLS should be allowed on the World Cup team...cough cough, Bornstein, cough, cough.

It sucks that the MLS is not competitve in the grand scheme of things but the US players need to be playing overseas, the competition here is just not good enough.
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    PS my buddy is from Italy and he is constantly saying the reason why the Itals are the best is because their entire Copa Mundial roster is made up of guys who play in Italy. I don't completely agree, but it's worth mentioning.
    1. Italy are by no means the best
    2. Heh, you said roster
    3. The majority of Brazil and Argentina's squads play in Europe. Doesn't stop them from being amongst the favourites.
    4. The entire English team plays in Europe. Doesn't stop them from overhyping themselves to be world beaters who will fail to reach the semis.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think it is a fantastic thing. Way too many players were playing in the US last time around and 2006 was a complete disaster. I don't think any defender that plays in the MLS should be allowed on the World Cup team...cough cough, Bornstein, cough, cough.

It sucks that the MLS is not competitve in the grand scheme of things but the US players need to be playing overseas, the competition here is just not good enough.

I agree, plus the ones that play in England (especially Howard) have played against many of the England players - definatly will help on June 12.

I am going to see them play Turkey on Saturday and I hope we see the starters this time, I think they need to play games together now instead of experimenting with the line ups like last night.
    Also, it's not like the US is lacking in Youth Soccer. I am sure some better coaches at the youth level will go a long ways but I don't think we really have a problem getting kids playing at a young age. I do think we need to do more to attract better athletes but having our top players, play domestically is not going to do anything to solve that.
    Well said Cliffy and Hinn. I agree completely on both counts, actually. I guess I'm just kinda frustrated the US can't compete talent-wise with the rest of the world in this thing. I mean, we're the best at everything else, right? :lol::lol:

(much respect to our Euro and SAmerican brethren on the board)
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I agree, plus the ones that play in England (especially Howard) have played against many of the England players - definatly will help on June 12.

I am going to see them play Turkey on Saturday and I hope we see the starters this time, I think they need to play games together now instead of experimenting with the line ups like last night.

Thats awesome you are going to that game. So pissed i am missing it. My girlfriend planned a big weekend in NYC a while back for my birthday so we are doing that. It was planned before this game was scheduled. Would love to be there.

You are definitely going to see the A team. I would have liked to see the full squad last night as well but Bradley had some decisions to make today. All I know is that the team on the pitch saturday better play a whole hell of a lot better than those fuckers last night.

Edit: Good point on the Englad point as well. Same goes for Dempsey.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    the other thing that is happening is that players like Bekham and eventually Tierry Henry are realizing that there is a huge market in the US for the game and are choosing to play here. I believe that will help bring more attention to the sport in the US.

I think Americans are used to the other sports we have (football, baseball, etc.) and used to seeing the best players in the best leagues in those sports and may consider the MLS as inferior - almost like minor league baseball. Given the choice on TV I will watch a big European game (Barca, MU, etc.) over a MLS game, just because I know the level of play is so much higher.

I think the difference is the systems each country has in place to develop the sport and the players. We have plenty of athletic talent in the US, just not the best systems and leagues. And a lot of competition from other sports.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    the other thing that is happening is that players like Bekham and eventually Tierry Henry are realizing that there is a huge market in the US for the game and are choosing to play here. I believe that will help bring more attention to the sport in the US.

I think Americans are used to the other sports we have (football, baseball, etc.) and used to seeing the best players in the best leagues in those sports and may consider the MLS as inferior - almost like minor league baseball. Given the choice on TV I will watch a big European game (Barca, MU, etc.) over a MLS game, just because I know the level of play is so much higher.

I think the difference is the systems each country has in place to develop the sport and the players. We have plenty of athletic talent in the US, just not the best systems and leagues. And a lot of competition from other sports.

All great points. Beckham brougth a lot of attention to the MLS even though he was goign down hill fast. Henry has lost a lot of pace but will be huge for New York.

Agree, I rarely watch the MLS, wish i did but it is just not that great soccer.

This is an awesome point. The academies each team has over there are incredible. I know a couple people that went over and played in the Middlesborugh academy and they said it was an amazing experience.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    A few observations about the US team...

1. Findley over Ching?? WTF?! :x Bad call coach. Ching was one of the few bright spots in last night's friendly, and is probably our second best target forward (after Altidore). No, he's not particularly fast or deft with his feet but he positions well and feeds others very well in the goal area.

2. I agree with the rest of the roster though. Gomez and Buddle deserve a shot. Very happy to see Holden in there. Loved him as a player for the Dynamo and rooting for him wherever he plays in the future. He's one of those guys, like Gooden, that has no problems mixing it up and taking a beating for the team.

3. Yes, the US team is not at the same talent level as a many of the European teams in the WC, but what they lack in talent they make up for in fitness and team play. Any given day the US could beat the best teams in the world. They've proven that in the last three World Cups and the Confederations Cup last summer. The problem is they also lose to mediocre teams they should beat much too often.
    gabers wrote:
    A few observations about the US team...

1. Findley over Ching?? WTF?! :x Bad call coach. Ching was one of the few bright spots in last night's friendly, and is probably our second best target forward (after Altidore). No, he's not particularly fast or deft with his feet but he positions well and feeds others very well in the goal area.

2. I agree with the rest of the roster though. Gomez and Buddle deserve a shot. Very happy to see Holden in there. Loved him as a player for the Dynamo and rooting for him wherever he plays in the future. He's one of those guys, like Gooden, that has no problems mixing it up and taking a beating for the team.

3. Yes, the US team is not at the same talent level as a many of the European teams in the WC, but what they lack in talent they make up for in fitness and team play. Any given day the US could beat the best teams in the world. They've proven that in the last three World Cups and the Confederations Cup last summer. The problem is they also lose to mediocre teams they should beat much too often.

Agreed on most of this except Ching. I have no problem seeing him miss it. I am no fan of Findley but I don't think Ching is very good. Would have been awesome if Johnson lived up to the hype, jesus.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    gabers wrote:

I'll have to disagree with your points. You're suggesting that the US team is fitter and more of a team than the other teams? thats unquantifiable... you have no benchmark for that statement I'm afraid. It'd be like me saying the Ivory Coast players are fitter than the US team and when asked why I thought that my answer would be "well they look fitter?" ... considering a large number of your players play in Europe and therefore train in Europe wouldn't they have the same fitness levels as that of their European counterparts?

As for your statement... "Any given day the US could beat the best teams in the world.".... you could apply that to any national team that is there... fuck you could apply it to Scotland... we beat France a few years ago when they were World Champions... Bolivia beat Brasil during qualification for this tournament... any national football team at this world cup can, on any given day, get a result against the odds.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    dunkman wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    Any predictions?

I go with Spain to win.

I will pick Spain also. My heart says Argentina, but my sweet right foot says Spain... my head says Denmark but that's cos right now I'm thinking about a bacon roll being served by a hot blonde.
    My heart goes for Brazil because I know what some of their fans will look like. :shock:
    Argentina will probably do well considering they have a drug addled psychotic cheat as coach.
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Such a shame that Sweden didn't make it through this year. Sigh.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    Chara wrote:
    anyone supporting the poor north koreans ? will their supporters be allowed to travel and watch it ? will the citizens of north korea be allowed to watch it back home on their TV's ? :lol:

They won't have a single match shown on TV, but the front page of the July 12 issue of the People's Korea newspaper will be all about their glorious triumph over Brazil in the final :lol:
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
    If there is any team that didn't make the WC this year that should have it's Ireland. It's a shame a bad call prevented them from making it. They beat Algeria, a World Cup team and African champs 3 - 0.
    dunkman wrote:
    gabers wrote:

I'll have to disagree with your points. You're suggesting that the US team is fitter and more of a team than the other teams? thats unquantifiable... you have no benchmark for that statement I'm afraid. It'd be like me saying the Ivory Coast players are fitter than the US team and when asked why I thought that my answer would be "well they look fitter?" ... considering a large number of your players play in Europe and therefore train in Europe wouldn't they have the same fitness levels as that of their European counterparts?

As for your statement... "Any given day the US could beat the best teams in the world.".... you could apply that to any national team that is there... fuck you could apply it to Scotland... we beat France a few years ago when they were World Champions... Bolivia beat Brasil during qualification for this tournament... any national football team at this world cup can, on any given day, get a result against the odds.

The training program for the US Team is considered by many to be the best in the world. I know Jurgen Klinsmann believes so. He studied the program personally prior to the 2002 WC I believe and incorporated their training techniques into his own.

I think in theory you could argue any team that makes the WC is capable of beating any other, but the reality is so few have shown it more than a one off. I do think this year's WC has no clear favorites. I keep hearing England is a favorite but I'm not really sure why. I've heard Italy, Brazil, Argentina, and France, and all have shown to be beatable in the last year (France probably shouldn't even be there this year). Spain is my pick and we know they're beatable too...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,949
    it must be getting close.......ESPN is jamming commercials down our throats in a desperate attempt to make this seem relevant....

....in the states. :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    So we thought (English people that is) that Capello was going to be the saviour of the England team. But looking at the squad I realise he's Steve McClaren in disguise. The decisions made are brain numbing.

Defenders:
    Jamie Carragher Declares he's happy to play again and he's in. Not convinced
    Rio Ferdinand Still as flatfooted as ever and not in the best form of his life. Spanish defenders make him look ridiculous.
    Stephen Warnock Played 8 minutes of international football. You can't be serious

Midfielders:
    Gareth Barry Is he going to be fit or is he going to peel the oranges for half time
    Michael Carrick Has played most of the season in indifferent form

Forwards:
    Peter Crouch Foreign refs don't like his style and penalise him every chance they get. Is this really the best we can do?
    Jermain Defoe Not inparticularly good form
    Emile Heskey Can't even get in his club side. Slow, ineffective and well past his prime.

And all these forwards have been chosen at the expense of Darren Bent who is one of the most prolific goal scorers in England playing for a lesser team.

I won't be surprised if England don't even make the knockout stages. :cry:
    I have to agree with that synopsis nuffingman... especially Heskey who has the footballing talent of a statue that has been put into a coma.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    dunkman wrote:
    I have to agree with that synopsis nuffingman... especially Heskey who has the footballing talent of a statue that has been put into a coma.

Wow, that doesn't sound positive at all.
    dunkman wrote:

Wow, that doesn't sound positive at all.

well he is world champion at musical statues so things are looking up...
  • Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157
    8 days!!! :mrgreen:
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
    USA 2 - England 1

You all heard it!
    USA 2 - England 1

You all heard it!

well i read it... my computer doesnt speak to me... but the other voices in my head do.. whats that Adolf? you want me to punch nuns in the fudd? ok!!
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    espn is sending down all their workers with armed EX- FBI agents

everyone is strapped like the wild west
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157
    USA 2 - England 1

You all heard it!

That sounds good to me dude! :lol:;)
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates