*** 2010 FIFA World Cup ***

Comments

• yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    I can't wait, I am planning on not working much during that time. USA will take it!!!! :shock:

american_soccer_fan.jpg

Maybe Italy but I am putting my money on Spain
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    yoke wrote:
    Ibut I am putting my money on Spain
    +1
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    that is shit amigo...

as much as i love this band and its music... the world cup would take 1st choice for me every single time 8-)
    If you were going to the event (or if your team was in the finals) but just to watch it on TV v live show?
    Really?

just watching it on tv.. i would rather go to a Pj show than watch say Algeria vs Sweden or something... but I wouldnt do what a lot of the euros on here do and go to every PJ show for the tour... not during the World Cup.

... am the same ... attending shows at the beginning of the tour so I'll be free to watch the later stages of the World Cup. World Cup once every 4 years ... Pearl Jam (lately :P) have tended to be around more often so I'd skip a gig to watch some of the World Cup games on tv :)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    chime wrote:

... am the same ... attending shows at the beginning of the tour so I'll be free to watch the later stages of the World Cup. World Cup once every 4 years ... Pearl Jam (lately :P) have tended to be around more often so I'd skip a gig to watch some of the World Cup games on tv :)
    :?

I would skip the World Series, Super Bowl, NHL Stanley Cup or the NBA Finals if my team was not in it...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    chime wrote:

I would skip the World Series, Super Bowl, NHL Stanley Cup or the NBA Finals if my team was not in it...

yeah i'd skip all of those as well... ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    chime wrote:

i think Hinny is missing a couple of gigs so he can watch Australia as well..

if Scotland was in it I'd miss quite a lot to watch them! :oops:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    any one going to game in houston :mrgreen:
    chime wrote:

i only skip pearl jam if Panathinaikos play in the champion league final..for sure not for watch football from tv..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    if Messi continues his form then my wish of seeing Aregentina win the world cup could come true... Maradona handing the trophy on to Messi would be an awesome sight!!
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    closest I will get is seeing USA vs. Turkey in Philly on May 29. I hope USA goes far, but really just looking forward to the whole tournament.
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    chime wrote:

It's the world cup. The biggest event in the world, not the other things that no one really cares too much about. I absolutely hate the timing of these shows, but eh, gotta make do.

Yeah, I'm missing Belfast to watch Australia play Serbia. It may well be the case that we would've lost to Germany and Ghana already, but I don't care. I've bought a Nijmegen ticket, but will more than likely not go so I can watch more WC. Aussies will more than likely only be involved in 3 matches, but I'll watch as many games as humanly possible. BECAUSE IT'S THE FRIGGIN WORLD CUP.

Friday and Saturday nights at Werchter will be quarter finals nights, and while I'm camping all 4 nights at the festival I'm sure there's somewhere I can go to catch the games- it's only Sunday when I'll be glued to the rails, nappies and all. just as well there's no game that night. Otherwise I'd need to get a radio to listen to the commentary.

Not thinking about Venice at all. Never missing a bloody semi final for a PJ show at a festival, doesn't matter if it's down the road or in the back garden. Bilbao and Lisbon, while appealing as travel destinations, are places I'd rather properly visit than rush in and out for gigs, and I'd rather catch the final in a big open place to watch it with a fuckload of people and be able to go home to my bed when I'm done with the partying.

I've taken a look at the overall schedule. There shouldn't be too many big matches to coincide with the gig nights.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
    I will be DVRing a lot of games as the WC happens during the U2 tour in June and July.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    How Argentina is not dominating I'll never understand. They have so much talent from messi, tevez, macharano, iquine, milito, so much talent. The teams to beat should be Spain, Argentina, England and holland. England will have issues cuz, well it's England. And you'd think some bad luck will be involved with holland losing. So I'm saying Spain or agentina and I'm going with the X factor, messi...
    less than 50 days to go!! I started this thread with 100 days to go! half way there. :):)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    dunkman wrote:
    less than 50 days to go!! I started this thread with 100 days to go! half way there. :):)

those scots and their expertise in maths ;) :P
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    You're all losers.

This is CLEARLY New Zealand's tournament to lose!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously... if we score one single, solitary, goal I'll be stoked. It's only our second time ever qualifying - under "Just Happy To Be Here" in the dictionary there's a photo of the New Zealand team (we have odd dictionaries in New Zealand that allow for incomplete sentences to be added as entries). We did score two goals against Scotland in '82... but gave up five. :(

Either way - it can't get here soon enough!
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
    norm wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

:D:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Napier

blame this guy ;)
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    dunkman wrote:
    norm wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

:D:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Napier

blame this guy ;)

Wow, the inventor of the decimal point. I hear it was also a Scott who invented the period.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    49 days till the states show the world they have arrived.
    I couldn't give a rats ass about tennis.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You'd think we did after our strong 2002 WC and coming within a half of winning the Confederations Cup last year. Still though, I'm nervous about this one, even with the great group matchups. Too many injuries for our best players.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    gabers wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You'd think we did after our strong 2002 WC and coming within a half of winning the Confederations Cup last year. Still though, I'm nervous about this one, even with the great group matchups. Too many injuries for our best players.

I hear you, especially after the confederations cup. I am nervous about the injuries as well but am confident, if that makes any sense. Think this is a pretty good team and has been together for a while. Plus all the England drama cant be helping.
    make dreams...king Otto will kick your ass! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Dimitris, doesn't the World Cup overlap with your month-long tour of Europe? How will you (and all the other Euros) catch all the games in between Pearl Jam shows?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    I will watching the final on July 11from the Holiday Inn next to Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia along with a few hundred of my U2 friends. The U2 show is July 12 and we are all getting there a day early to start the party.
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsi ... ed+live+tv

:shock: :shock:

Players hoping to be named in France's squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ would be well advised to tune in to the main evening news on 11 May.

The reason? That is the time and place coach Raymond Domenech has chosen to reveal his squad for South Africa 2010, French television station TF1 announced on Tuesday.

Domenech is breaking from tradition as in the past he has unveiled his national squads at a press conference open to all media.

France's FIFA World Cup campaign kicks off against Uruguay in Cape Town on 11 June, followed by Mexico in Polokwane on 17 June and hosts South Africa in Bloemfontain five days later.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,699
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier wrote:

doesnt let us non-USA folks watch dude... its from ESPN.

:(
    dunkman wrote:
    Poncier wrote:

Serves you right, commies!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,699
    dunkman wrote:
    Poncier wrote:

World Cup commercial featuring voice over from Edge and Bono with "Magnificent" playing.

Try this one, was put up by someone else:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1O-vZt_gps
    This weekend we rock Portland