THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    hypothetical question for you: how much longer are you willing to give andy reid? this team, we all seem to be in agreement on, appears to be moving in the right direction. but let's say we have 3 more years of playoffs but no championship. let's say they make it to another championship game and lose again. that will be 15 seasons in and no championshp to show for it. are you going to continue the status quo at that point too?

i can't say that jaegs because it is hard to say what will happen in 3 years but let me say that 'forcing' a coach to win a title with an organization that has never won a Super Bowl title and has only been there twice, once with him as the coach, is insanity. you don't take your best employee and fire him because you haven't reached the highest mountain - change the average to below average employees 1st. my philosophy is you should almost never fire a great or damn good coach because they are so few and far between - it is very difficult to find great coaches and great coaches who can have longevity - when you get one you need to hang onto them because the odds are a hell of a lot higher that this franchise would head back to the Marion Campbell/Ray Rhodes, Rich Kotite debacles then it would to find a coach who would take them higher than Reid. I'd say the odds are 90-95% of you getting a worse coach/franchise if you fire Reid than getting a better coach/organization. with those odds (at this point, could change in a few years) why would it even be a discussion?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    pjhawks wrote:
    hypothetical question for you: how much longer are you willing to give andy reid? this team, we all seem to be in agreement on, appears to be moving in the right direction. but let's say we have 3 more years of playoffs but no championship. let's say they make it to another championship game and lose again. that will be 15 seasons in and no championshp to show for it. are you going to continue the status quo at that point too?

i can't say that jaegs because it is hard to say what will happen in 3 years but let me say that 'forcing' a coach to win a title with an organization that has never won a Super Bowl title and has only been there twice, once with him as the coach, is insanity. you don't take your best employee and fire him because you haven't reached the highest mountain - change the average to below average employees 1st. my philosophy is you should almost never fire a great or damn good coach because they are so few and far between - it is very difficult to find great coaches and great coaches who can have longevity - when you get one you need to hang onto them because the odds are a hell of a lot higher that this franchise would head back to the Marion Campbell/Ray Rhodes, Rich Kotite debacles then it would to find a coach who would take them higher than Reid. I'd say the odds are 90-95% of you getting a worse coach/franchise if you fire Reid than getting a better coach/organization. with those odds (at this point, could change in a few years) why would it even be a discussion?

ugh...you're gonna give me the "its either reid or a coach like kotite argument?"" that's weak dude. :lol:.
    reid's contract is up in 2013. given banner's whole "definition of insanity" speech in '08, i'd suspect they won't extend him without a title at that point. but we will see. god help us all if we don't have a birds parade by then. :evil: :evil: ......even one of your examples of a "great" coach who never won a championship, dan reeves, was fired after 12 mostly successful seasons in denver. they won a super bowl 3 years later. it can happen.

to tie into what we talked about the other day i looked up every coach who coached at least 12 years (not all with the same team) who have not won a championship to get a better measure of where reid ranks with coaches who've coached as long or longer:

dan reeves...23 years, 4 conf championships...0 titles
    chuck knox...22 yrs...0 conf champs...0 titles
    marty schottenheimer...21 yrs....0 conf champs...0 titles
    bud grant...18 yrs...4 conf champs...0 titles
    marv levy...17 yrs...4 conf champ...0 titles
    jeff fischer...17 yrs...1 conf champ...0 titles
    jim mora...15 yrs...0 conf champs...0 titles
    dan coryell...14 yrs...0 conf champs...0 titles
    norv turner...13 yrs...0 conf champs...0 titles
    denny green...13 yrs...0 conf champs...0 titles
    sam wyche...12 yrs...1 conf champ...0 titles
    andy reid...12 yrs...1 conf champ...0 titles
    ted marchibroda...12 yrs...0 conf champs...0 titles
    www.myspace.com
  • I used to look forward to Monday Night games...now it's just blah

No more excitement like it used to be..I prefer the Sunday night games now more

Any of you guys hear what Trent Cole said about McNugget ??
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    I used to look forward to Monday Night games...now it's just blah

you're not looking forward to this game??
    www.myspace.com
  • I used to look forward to Monday Night games...now it's just blah

I look forward to every game but Monday Night used to be SPECIAL

I'd rather this game be 1pm today or Sunday Night

I used to look forward to Monday Night games...now it's just blah

I look forward to every game but Monday Night used to be SPECIAL

I'd rather this game be 1pm today or Sunday Night

agree i think monday night is now a waste. i'd much rather than move the game to friday night instead. no juice for a monday night game anymore.
  • pjhawks wrote:
    agree i think monday night is now a waste. i'd much rather than move the game to friday night instead. no juice for a monday night game anymore.

Yeah...I think it's been dead for awhile now

It was a HUGE deal when the Monday Night crew was in town

Maybe it being on ESPN has taken away from it too ?

pjhawks wrote:

i just think with so much on now with thursday night games, sunday night games and the 1000s of shows devoted to the nfl that by monday night it is overload = can't tell you the last non-eagles monday game i've watched. plus it seems like the sunday night games are the better games than the monday night games anymore.
  • Tonight's game is going to be better than last nights game. But I agree about MNF. I think they should move it to Saturday night. That would be more exciting than watching on a Monday night and would give us a taste of what's to come on Sunday. The Sunday night game should wrap up the week.

Oh yeah and hail to the Redskins!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

i just think with so much on now with thursday night games, sunday night games and the 1000s of shows devoted to the nfl that by monday night it is overload = can't tell you the last non-eagles monday game i've watched. plus it seems like the sunday night games are the better games than the monday night games anymore.

you probably feel that way because its on espn and not abc. i think i can understand that. but the numbers indicate you're in the minority. the ratings for mnf this year and the past few years are through the roof. that cowboys/giants game a few weeks ago was one of the highest rated cable programs in history.

they'd never move it friday. that would be a ratings disaster.

personally mondays kind of suck for me. i have to work the late shift at work and don't get home till after 10:30....except tonight ;)

GO BIRDS!!
    www.myspace.com
    Tonight's game is going to be better than last nights game. But I agree about MNF. I think they should move it to Saturday night. That would be more exciting than watching on a Monday night and would give us a taste of what's to come on Sunday. The Sunday night game should wrap up the week.

Oh yeah and hail to the Redskins!

they used to have saturday day games after the college season ended. i miss those. the thursday night game kind of replaced that. i like a thursday night game though. means the weekend is close by...
    www.myspace.com
    you probably feel that way because its on espn and not abc. i think i can understand that. but the numbers indicate you're in the minority. the ratings for mnf this year and the past few years are through the roof. that cowboys/giants game a few weeks ago was one of the highest rated cable programs in history.

personally mondays kind of suck for me. i have to work the late shift at work and don't get home till after 10:30....except tonight ;)

GO BIRDS!!

the NFL ratings baffle me sometimes though - that Eagles-Colts game last week was the highest rated game on CBS in years (i'd have to look it up again but i thought it was like over 10 years or something ridiculous).
    pjhawks wrote:

GO BIRDS!!

the NFL ratings baffle me sometimes though - that Eagles-Colts game last week was the highest rated game on CBS in years (i'd have to look it up again but i thought it was like over 10 years or something ridiculous).

ratings for tonight will be through the roof too. the nfl is kind of like the ultimate reality show. the stories and subplots are almost as interesting as the game itself. it's so compelling. hard not for people to get drawn in. can't wait for all the sideline close-ups of don and the shanahans :lol:

gonna be fun tonight...
    www.myspace.com
    further proof why you cannot decide a winner or loser to this trade after just half a season....

Report: Redskins sign McNabb to five-year extension
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 15, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
    Donovan McNabb has secured another financial apology.

ESPN’s Michael Smith reports that the Redskins have signed McNabb to a five-year, $78 million extension with a reported $40 million guaranteed. Yep, the organization just doubled down on McNabb two weeks removed from benching him for Rex Grossman.

As always, we’ll wait to see the contractual details before knowing the full story. The final years of the contract are likely meaningless, and we’ve often seen that “guaranteed” money is often anything but when you look closer.

With that out of the way, this clearly a serious and stunning financial commitment from the Redskins. McNabb will surely be locked in Washington through the 2011 season at a minimum.

McNabb is being paid like a superstar, but he hasn’t played like one in Washington. This contract is a bet that he’s going to improve his play drastically in Mike Shanahan’s offense because he’s been league average at best so far.

We don’t have to wait long to evaluate Dan Snyder’s latest investment.

Starting Monday night, McNabb gets to make the organization look smart for all their faith or foolish for sinking more money into a doomed partnership with Mike Shanahan.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    I cannot express in words how great it is to have Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder in our division. Just absolutely love it.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,788
    The Redskins are such a joke
    If having Haynesworths deal wasn't bad enough and all the free agent blunders they've made..... But this??? McNabb had a nice run in Philly, but that ship has sailed. Why not draft a QB, it's not like your gonna win shit on those old legs

I'm sending Snyder my resume as we speak.... Picking up trash, whatever
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    If having Haynesworths deal wasn't bad enough and all the free agent blunders they've made..... But this??? McNabb had a nice run in Philly, but that ship has sailed. Why not draft a QB, it's not like your gonna win shit on those old legs

It really is just exquisite.

I didn't know a rubber nipple could be made of $100 bills. Apparently I was wrong.
    further proof why you cannot decide a winner or loser to this trade after just half a season....

Report: Redskins sign McNabb to five-year extension
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 15, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
    Donovan McNabb has secured another financial apology.

ESPN’s Michael Smith reports that the Redskins have signed McNabb to a five-year, $78 million extension with a reported $40 million guaranteed. Yep, the organization just doubled down on McNabb two weeks removed from benching him for Rex Grossman.

As always, we’ll wait to see the contractual details before knowing the full story. The final years of the contract are likely meaningless, and we’ve often seen that “guaranteed” money is often anything but when you look closer.

With that out of the way, this clearly a serious and stunning financial commitment from the Redskins. McNabb will surely be locked in Washington through the 2011 season at a minimum.

McNabb is being paid like a superstar, but he hasn’t played like one in Washington. This contract is a bet that he’s going to improve his play drastically in Mike Shanahan’s offense because he’s been league average at best so far.

We don’t have to wait long to evaluate Dan Snyder’s latest investment.

Starting Monday night, McNabb gets to make the organization look smart for all their faith or foolish for sinking more money into a doomed partnership with Mike Shanahan.

this has to be the dumbest timing for a re-signing in the history of sports. why would they re-sign him right after being benched and him and the coach basically calling each other out - makes no fn sense.
    CROJAM95 wrote:

It really is just exquisite.

I didn't know a rubber nipple could be made of $100 bills. Apparently I was wrong.

haha classic line :)
    pjhawks wrote:
    this has to be the dumbest timing for a re-signing in the history of sports. why would they re-sign him right after being benched and him and the coach basically calling each other out - makes no fn sense.

Dude, how do you not see it for what it is? It makes perfect sense. You should be ecstatic.

Only thing I know is this is the equivalent of Howard's contract going forward for other QB's. Vick is going to get P-A-I-D. And it's most likely going to be here. And tough shit to all who don't like it, but Vick will be here to stay and Kolb will be traded. That's just the way it is.
    pjhawks wrote:

Dude, how do you not see it for what it is? It makes perfect sense. You should be ecstatic.

Only thing I know is this is the equivalent of Howard's contract going forward for other QB's. Vick is going to get P-A-I-D. And it's most likely going to be here. And tough shit to all who don't like it, but Vick will be here to stay and Kolb will be traded. That's just the way it is.

if Vick wants a contract like McNabb's it ain't happening.
    CROJAM95 wrote:

i would think at least 2-3 years are guaranteed so they'd probably draft a qb in april and groom him to take over for mcnabb in a couple years. he looks awful now. when he's bad, he's atrocious. when he's good, he's really good. the most streaky qb you can ever imagine. plus he has to be coddled. so perhaps they're hoping this added security loosens him up for the rest of the year.

if they improve the line in the offseason, get him some weapons, skins should be better next year. i've always thought they would resign him. doing it a couple weeks after benching him is a pretty odd time to do it though.

on the plus side--i would think this would be a sign the skins think a cba deal will get done though...
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

getting a 2nd rounder or so for kolb and resigning vick for 3-4 years would be fucking gold. gold jerry, gold! :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    almost go time....

beers? check....
    buffalo chicken dip? check...
    more beers? check...

bunch of my friends are down there in enemy territory tonight. i am now kicking myself for not getting a ticket :x

first place is calling.....GO BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    DAMN! 28-0 in the 1st quarter. Go Birds, keep it up! Pretty much playing perfect football :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    notice gruden compare vick to steve young right there?

just saying.... ;)
    www.myspace.com
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I hope Washington is enjoying their investment. Say what you want about the Cowboys but the Redskins are idiots. Of all the dumb moves they have made over the years this is the winner. You can almost see Shanahan running for the door.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Wow, talk about thrashing. Vick is a stud tonight. Cheers to the Eagles fans. I know you guys are living it up right now.

edit: speaking of thrashings, I got Maclin and Akers going tonight, just running up the score on my poor friend in fantasy this week.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    No one here before the season started thought Vick would be this good. Hell, no one thought he'd start. And now this changes EVERYTHING on my outlook for this team. Barring injury, this is officially going to be a fun ride the rest of the way. I'm not going to say anymore.

Well, other than the fact that this is a straight up Gawd damn A-S-S W-H-O-O-P-I-N-G. Keep the pedal to the floor. Shove it up their asses.

Thanks again, Mr. Snyder! :thumbup:

Football Giants come into town Sunday? :lol:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    Wow, talk about thrashing. Vick is a stud tonight. Cheers to the Eagles fans. I know you guys are living it up right now.

edit: speaking of thrashings, I got Maclin and Akers going tonight, just running up the score on my poor friend in fantasy this week.

in one league i got vick, mccoy, akers, and philly def.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC