THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    81 wrote:
    Buddy was a great D coordinator on the Bears, but average at best as a HC.

Marty did some amazing things in Cleveland, KC and SD. The chargers made a mistake when they got rid of him. I'd take him as a head coach. all he does is win. if it wasn't for "The Drive" and "The Fumble" you might have had a mini dynasty in Cleveland. :lol:

Earnest. Byner.

What a wild name Earnest is.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    birds -3 this week......must win. this is an absolute must win gentlemen. 6-3 heading into a snf showdown with the giants is essential....

agree and can't lose to a division opponent twice - could be a killer tie-breaker later in the season although I see the Redskins dropping back a bit.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    After today I'm near the brink of ranking football below college hoops on my levels of importance in my choices of sports. I'm starting to realize that refs are no longer about facilitating a fair playing field, but to control the game. I'm just sayin...starting to become more and more disenchanted with this stupid sport.

like I've been saying for 5 years now...the NFL product gets worse every year. goodell has just sped up the process since he's taken over. the dude has the league in shambles.

if not for gambling, I wouldn't watch this shit
    pjhawks wrote:
    After today I'm near the brink of ranking football below college hoops on my levels of importance in my choices of sports. I'm starting to realize that refs are no longer about facilitating a fair playing field, but to control the game. I'm just sayin...starting to become more and more disenchanted with this stupid sport.

the call on cole for touching manning's helmet with his f@cking fingernail was an ABOMINATION. this was the worst officiated game i think i've ever seen.

Jaegs, simple you can't touch a QB in the head, it's a penalty no matter how shitty of a rule it is. I don't have a problem so much with the calls for hitting guys in the head. i understand trying to get that out of the game fine but those officials missed too many other calls. the non-interference call with 6:00 on 3rd and 10 against Jackson was brutal - same call they call against Stew Bradley at least once a week. Vick get tackled at least 5 yards out of bounds and nothing called because it came one play after a ticky tack personal foul for hitting Vick. The ridiculous TD call on Vick's run that wasn't close, then not calling the next play a touchdown for like 30 seconds even though he was in by 3 yard. Terrible officiating.

5-3 with this defense is pretty impressive. I almost never think they are stopping anyone. Why do we continue to allow Stewart Bradley into pass coverage after 1st down? He couldn't guard me over the middle at this point. Patterson was damn good in coverage yesterday. Was impressed. I think the Fixer has been touting that guy since the beginning of the season. Lots and lots of weapons on offense and Vick not turning the ball over have been huge. One game past where i'd thought they'd be at this point with 2 games with the tanking Cowboys at the end. Huge game next week against the Redskins, can't lose twice to a division opponent who might be close to wild card run - can't lose those tie-breakers. Andy Reid keeps it going doesn't he?

I agree with most of this. I don't think the refs are the main issue...it's the stupid ass rules that the league continues to tinker with. Just absolutely horrible.

And yes, I have been on patterson's nuts all year. the dude can play. you know who gets a pass on this team? quentin mikell. He just isn't good.

nice win...means nothing if they don't win on monday night
    So I'm one of 3 people left in a survivor pool. Trying to win $800.

Here are my choices this week:
    Bears (vs. Vikings) - This scares me because the Vikings are completely unpredictable
    Bucs (vs. Panthers) - I lke picking against Carolina because they are horrible, but TB are the cardiac kids
    Giants (vs. Cowboys) - This seems way too obvious - maybe the Boys will wake up this week, maybe the Giants will look ahead to the Birds? Am I overthinking this?

Let me know what you think, my fellow Philly sports talker people.

I'm one of 13 left in mine. started with 160 and the buy in was $40 per entry. so I gotta nice shot to win some money. the jets, vikings, and chargers all screwed me by winning on sunday.

I used the ginas already...I'm on TB this week. just look at carolina's qb situation
    pjhawks wrote:
    well he is one hell of a regular season coach. there is no denying that. :mrgreen:

i like our chances down the stretch...

he actually has one hell of a playoff record as well - rarely loses in the 1st round. Getting to 5 NFC Championship games is pretty darn hard to do. Granted we want a Super Bowl victory not doubt but his playoff record is still damn good.

the reason Andy Reid is a great coach is because whatever type of team he has he just wins games. It is very hard to win games in the NFL consistently and he has done it. Look at how many teams go south quickly when things go wrong, see Cowboys and Vikings this year for example - Reid's teams never ever quit on him and they never go in the tank. He has won with no receivers, no running backs, great defenses, shitty defenses - the guy just wins football games. Still early to count this as a playoff team but it is looking pretty darn good right now.

only lost 1 first round game since he's been the head coach here.

pjhawks, me and you need to start the andy reid fan club. It will just be the 2 of us since the rest of the city hates the guy. I just don't get it
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Dude I know is in a 400 person suicide pool that's $100. That's right - $40,000 if you win. I gotta get in on that next year.
    81 wrote:
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

:mrgreen:

i concede, based on regular season win %, it would be tough to make a case agaist reid

113-70-1. Started out with a 3-13 team. Not too shabby, as flabbergasting as it is to watch him coach.

Sometimes winning in the playoffs is about luck & circumstance. 2004 team got matched up with a dynasty team at their peak. Of course, the 2002 team was a huge chokejob.

can you think of a "great" one who never won at least one? nothing wrong with being a good coach though. hopefully that changes in the next couple years ;)

marv levy, dan reeves, andy reid
    pjhawks wrote:
    i realize reid's career is not over. so i am judging him by what he's done up until this point. cowher was not considered great until he won it in '06. 12 years is a pretty good amount of time. i also said, in regard to reid being good not great--hopefully that changes in the next year or so. implying that hopefully we get over the hump and win one.

if you think buddy ryan was a great head coach. this conversation is over right now. do not bother posting in this thread ever again. i loved the guy and that team was amazing. but....i can't even believe you brought buddy ryan into this discussion. :lol:

the other guys though....good, not great. you can make an argument for levy simply for winning 4 afc championship games. i brought his name up earlier. you think schottenheimer and fischer are great coaches? good, maybe very good at times. i would not consider them great. this is good discussion though.

and the average or bad coach argument--see my above post to jp. that's not my point.

buddy ryan :lol::lol::lol: wow

lol i put Buddy in there to get a rise out of you and anyone else. I love Buddy, still my all time favorite coach. Football was never as fun as when Buddy was around. Agree not a great coach but still damn fun.

this is what's wrong with philadelphia. I don't know how anyone could think that losing was fun.

reid >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ryan

they're not even in the same ballpark. buddy ryan is wade phillips. seriously
  • Jeags is right - the Buddy Ryan era was just ridiculously fun. Of course, those teams were maddening in that they would always blow a huge game at the end of the year (like losing to the crappy Saints on MNF in 1989) and would get stuck as a Wild Card, back when Wild Cards never won shit in the NFC.

The other problem with that team was that cheap motherf*cker Braman wouldn't pay anyone, so half the team would still be holding out halfway through the preseason games. So they were pretty much stuck starting 1-3 or, maybe, 2-2 every year.

I think Fixer is too stat-focused to just appreciate watching and enjoying a fun team, even if they don't necessarily deliver the goods.

Strange to think that the NFC used to be so good that the 1991 Eagles were one of TWO 10-6 teams to miss the playoffs. With just adequate QB'ing, that team could've "House of Pain"ed their way to a SB title.

Speaking of the House of Pain game, I guess we'll never see anything like that again. We'll always have the Astrodome. :D:cry:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

I think Fixer is too stat-focused to just appreciate watching and enjoying a fun team, even if they don't necessarily deliver the goods.

The only stat I care about (in any sport), is won-loss record. compare buddy ryan and andy reid. I don't know how anyone could think that losing in the playoffs every year without winning a game is fun.

oh yeah, buddy ryan was a jerk off too. not sure how anyone can be that arrogant when they couldn't win in the playoffs as a head coach
  • The Fixer wrote:

The only stat I care about (in any sport), is won-loss record. compare buddy ryan and andy reid. I don't know how anyone could think that losing in the playoffs every year without winning a game is fun.

oh yeah, buddy ryan was a jerk off too. not sure how anyone can be that arrogant when they couldn't win in the playoffs as a head coach

Andy Reid's teams never made plays like this (sorry, the quality is abysmal):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdjmMa88l-o&feature=related

It's ok, we know you don't get it. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

buddy ryan is the bully that starts fights then gets his ass kicked. matthew barnaby or darcy tucker for hockey fans out there.

I think it's ridiculous when people compare reid and buddy. the best thing buddy's teams did was make that buddy's watchin you video
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

buddy ryan is the bully that starts fights then gets his ass kicked. matthew barnaby or darcy tucker for hockey fans out there.

I think it's ridiculous when people compare reid and buddy. the best thing buddy's teams did was make that buddy's watchin you video

who the hell in their right mind would compare reid to buddy? pjhawks was kidding when he mentioned him earlier. that era of birds football was fun as hell though
    www.myspace.com
  • The Fixer wrote:

I still have that videotape. Of course, I don't have a VCR hooked up to watch it. Thank God for youtube.

Andy Reid is obviously a vastly superior coach to Buddy Ryan. But his teams play fairly boring football, win a lot of games, and lose in the end. Buddy's teams played ridiculously exciting, heartstopping football, and of course lost in the end a little bit earlier (usually around Christmas). Also, there was none of that "bend but don't break" defense crap. It was knock out the QB and get 5 turnovers, or get burned for 400 yds passing. I think you're missing the point here.

Also, does any really watch The Andy Reid Show? The Buddy Ryan Show was a blast to watch. Oh yeah, he was an asshole for sure, but he sure as hell kept things interesting.

The Fixer wrote:
    can you think of a "great" one who never won at least one? nothing wrong with being a good coach though. hopefully that changes in the next couple years ;)

marv levy, dan reeves, andy reid

levy's and reeves' records in championship games: 8-0.

andy reid's records in championship games: 1-4

like i said, you can make an argument for levy. i guess you can for reeves as well. but they are clearly closer to greatness than big ol' andy is at this point. andy's a good coach. i don't see the issue there.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

I still have that videotape. Of course, I don't have a VCR hooked up to watch it. Thank God for youtube.

Andy Reid is obviously a vastly superior coach to Buddy Ryan. But his teams play fairly boring football, win a lot of games, and lose in the end. Buddy's teams played ridiculously exciting, heartstopping football, and of course lost in the end a little bit earlier (usually around Christmas). Also, there was none of that "bend but don't break" defense crap. It was knock out the QB and get 5 turnovers, or get burned for 400 yds passing. I think you're missing the point here.

Also, does any really watch The Andy Reid Show? The Buddy Ryan Show was a blast to watch. Oh yeah, he was an asshole for sure, but he sure as hell kept things interesting.

:lol::lol: ...The Buddy Ryan Show followed by the Randall Show leading into The NFL Today was must see tv 20 years ago

..i have the buddy's watching you video also. ....greg garity the, trash man, i make the plays that nobody else can :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

:lol::lol: ...The Buddy Ryan Show followed by the Randall Show leading into The NFL Today was must see tv 20 years ago

..i have the buddy's watching you video also. ....greg garity the, trash man, i make the plays that nobody else can :thumbup:

luis zendejas has the best line by far. luis zendejas, I kick field goals. hahahahahaha
    The Fixer wrote:

luis zendejas has the best line by far. luis zendejas, I kick field goals. hahahahahaha

quick 6. they thought they name was a joke but i made 'em all believers. i go up with guys all around. who's got the ball when we hit the ground?!?! budddddy's watchin' you.....he's watchin', yes he's watchin'
    :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    the eagles rap is great, but this is soooo much better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix081prSiNc
    The Fixer wrote:

what is that? can't access it at work.

stupid fog ruined it for that '88 team. still pisses me off. f'@cking keith jackson....wide open, back of the endzone...ball hits him in the numbers. HOW DO YOU NOT CATCH THAT?!?!???
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

stupid fog ruined it for that '88 team. still pisses me off. f'@cking keith jackson....wide open, back of the endzone...ball hits him in the numbers. HOW DO YOU NOT CATCH THAT?!?!???

the rams video from the 80s. the chorus is 'if you ram it just right, you can ram it all night.' it is tremendous...it includes a team line dance and a saxaphone solo. If you haven't seen it, make sure you watch it later on.

Just bought Ginas tix on stubhub
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    The Fixer wrote:

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jan/19 ... -fogbowl19

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The Fixer wrote:

who the hell in their right mind would compare reid to buddy? pjhawks was kidding when he mentioned him earlier. that era of birds football was fun as hell though

ah those were fun times. anyone who would stick it to Tom Landry and Norman Braman as much as they could was a-ok im my book. so many memorable plays and players from that era.

Braman was such a scumbag.

and Fixer Buddy sure as hell kicked Kevin Gilbride's ass - come on you gotta love an assistant coach punching another - we need more of this in the NFL today.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

ah those were fun times. anyone who would stick it to Tom Landry and Norman Braman as much as they could was a-ok im my book. so many memorable plays and players from that era.

Braman was such a scumbag.

and Fixer Buddy sure as hell kicked Kevin Gilbride's ass - come on you gotta love an assistant coach punching another - we need more of this in the NFL today.

buddy ryan is wade phillips with a big mouth and no class. he's right up there with pete rose in my book. scumbags
    The Fixer wrote:
    buddy ryan is wade phillips with a big mouth and no class. he's right up there with pete rose in my book. scumbags

except Buddy's 46 defense revolutionized the game - scumbag or not
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    pjhawks wrote:
    81 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    and I'd love to know what current coaches are better than Andy Reid.

i'd take Fisher over Reid

i think you could say the guy up in new england is better, although i can't stand him.

Giants HC
    Shannahan used to be, but's he's losing it.
    maybe the packers and new orleans coachs

Reid is in the top quarter of the league.

so much of it is organization.

What the heck has Jeff Fisher ever won? one good playoff run and that is it.

Bellicheck for sure.
    off the top of my head I think Fisher, Tomlin, and Peyton he is either right there with or slightly behind (i am probably missing someone)

Coughlin - I think Reid is a way better coach than Coughlin - don't forget he was getting fired before their hot playoff run to win the super bowl - one good run and one great win for coughlin and that is it.

Shanahan - one good run with Elway and that is it - has been under .500 I believe since Elway retired.

Maybe a few more that are close but need to be around longer and win for a decade: Whisenhut, Ryan, Harbaugh, Smith

the rest he is way better than.

He is closer to 2nd than 12th.

I don't know how you say that Reid is right there with Tomlin, Payton, Coughlin or Shanahan. All those guys have Super Bowl wins, regardless of their current status(Shanahan).

I think he is way better than Fisher, though. What the hell has that guy done?
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    The Fixer wrote:

:lol: I have that also on VHS tape. Jerome brown with a lot to say I back it up by the way I play. Keith jackson tight end (yeah boy) quarterback's best friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlR6ujpB89k
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

:lol: I have that also on VHS tape. Jerome brown with a lot to say I back it up by the way I play. Keith jackson tight end (yeah boy) quarterback's best friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlR6ujpB89k

hard to believe 3 of those guys are gone...
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    They should have used Luis Zendejas' Spanish rap instead, that was better.

Anyone remember another rap video after Buddy's Watching You, called "Coming Back Hard" by Keith Jackson? I think it happened in '90. I have that on VHS tape as well. Can't find any video or nothing online though.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC