THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,430
    not totally sure how i feel about this contract. Still think he is a bad dude so giving him $40 million guaranteed is awfully risky in my eyes. I just hope this nice guy Vick act is true and he doesn't end up fucking this franchise. sadly i still don't see a good ending with him here. i hope to God i'm wrong and I usually trust Reid and his instincts but....how is the next coach going to feel about Vick? Good or bad I don't see Reid coaching for 6 more years. If they win big he gets out and if they don't i think they get rid of him. Plus i just have a bad vibe about this team this year. i honestly don't sense good things even with all the signings.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    pjhawks wrote:
    not totally sure how i feel about this contract. Still think he is a bad dude so giving him $40 million guaranteed is awfully risky in my eyes. I just hope this nice guy Vick act is true and he doesn't end up fucking this franchise. sadly i still don't see a good ending with him here. i hope to God i'm wrong and I usually trust Reid and his instincts but....how is the next coach going to feel about Vick? Good or bad I don't see Reid coaching for 6 more years. If they win big he gets out and if they don't i think they get rid of him. Plus i just have a bad vibe about this team this year. i honestly don't sense good things even with all the signings.

it's like i said last year---reid and vick are joined at the hip now. if vick regresses and this thing blows up in our faces, there's no way reid makes it another year or two here.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I agree this is Reid's swan song if it falls apart

I think its a risk based off a guy not even playing a full season

They should have waited to see how this season played out..they could have franchised him again right ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    $40M guaranteed ... well, I guess that is one way to boost consumer spending in PA. ;)
    I agree this is Reid's swan song if it falls apart

I think its a risk based off a guy not even playing a full season

They should have waited to see how this season played out..they could have franchised him again right ?

yes they could have franchised him again...but you don't want to do that every year to your starting quarterback/leader/face of your franchise. they had to extend him.

but it is risky, no doubt...especially with 4 new pieces on the o-line to protect him, including 2 rookies right next to each other. i heard baldinger say he doesn't think a team has ever gone into a season with 2 rookies at center and guard....
    www.myspace.com
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    $100 mil is crazy IMHO!!!

Don't get me wrong, they guy is as exciting a player out there and COULD lead the NFL in every QB rating....however, he had one really good year with the team that's now giving him $100 mil!

a) One year
    b) No other QB in the league has the potential of getting hit more consistently than Vick (aka injuries)...maybe Cutler.
    c) I'm certain he would have agreed to a contract much smaller than that.

Had he won the Superbowl...maybe, but until then, that's just silly.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    God damn that is a lot of $$$. Pretty risky for Vick's style of play...
    it's a lot of money...40mil guaranteed.

but i'd be surprised if the birds didn't structure it so that they could get out of it in a couple years if need be.

joe banner is no dummy when it comes to structuring contracts.
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:

it's like i said last year---reid and vick are joined at the hip now. if vick regresses and this thing blows up in our faces, there's no way reid makes it another year or two here.

I don't think one bad year in 2011 means reid is out. that's ridiculous
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

I don't think one bad year in 2011 means reid is out. that's ridiculous

"another year or two"

i don't see it happening but if this team is healthy and just plays like crap all year and fails to make the playoffs, then yeah it's not out of the realm of possibilities that they look to finally make a move after this year...especially if, among other things, vick regresses dramatically and the juan castillo experiment turns out to be a disaster.

i think this is absolutely a playoff team though. packers and birds, despite some pretty big question marks, are the class of the nfc at this point.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    No way Reid goes anywhere unless he is the absolute reason for them not being prepared. The way this team regrouped this offseason and put together this roster, he just bought himself another few years. At the least.
    I don't buy it. The birds still have one of the youngest teams in football. Reid built the team. I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Think about it...if this team misses playoffs it will most likely be due to injuries. I can't see Reid being let go off of a season like that. After 2013...that's a different story.

The NFC is loaded this year. PHilly, GB, ATL, NO are all SB contenders going into the year. detroit, dallas, chic, stl, ariz, tb could all challenge for a playoff spot.

my off the wall prediction this year is the ginas finishing in last place in division and coughlin getting canned around thanksgiving
    The Fixer wrote:
    I don't buy it. The birds still have one of the youngest teams in football. Reid built the team. I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Think about it...if this team misses playoffs it will most likely be due to injuries. I can't see Reid being let go off of a season like that. After 2013...that's a different story.

The NFC is loaded this year. PHilly, GB, ATL, NO are all SB contenders going into the year. detroit, dallas, chic, stl, ariz, tb could all challenge for a playoff spot.

my off the wall prediction this year is the ginas finishing in last place in division and coughlin getting canned around thanksgiving

actually they're one of the oldest teams in the league after all the moves they've made.

jp--that was my point. if they are healthy and don't make it (primarily due to reid's hand picked qb regressing or his offensive line coach turned defensive coordinator failing miserably) reid's gonna share the bulk of the responsibility. i said it's unlikely. very unlikely. too much talent for it to happen like that.

the nfc is about as loaded as it was last year if you think about it. there were two 10-6 teams that didn't even get in last year. probably will be about the same this year. the birds, flaws aside, should be at the top of the heap.

the goal is the super bowl gentlemen. expectations are as high as they've been since '04. giddy the fuck up. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,430
    The Fixer wrote:

actually they're one of the oldest teams in the league after all the moves they've made.

jp--that was my point. if they are healthy and don't make it (primarily due to reid's hand picked qb regressing or his offensive line coach turned defensive coordinator failing miserably) reid's gonna share the bulk of the responsibility. i said it's unlikely. very unlikely. too much talent for it to happen like that.

the nfc is about as loaded as it was last year if you think about it. there were two 10-6 teams that didn't even get in last year. probably will be about the same this year. the birds, flaws aside, should be at the top of the heap.

the goal is the super bowl gentlemen. expectations are as high as they've been since '04. giddy the fuck up. :mrgreen:

i don't think it will or should happen but if this team fails this year i can see reid being shown the door. remember the media and the clueless fan base already dislikes the guy so if this team struggles the outcry from the media and said clueless fan base is going to be outrageous. hell in winning seasons including last years over half the fans (including many on here) were calling for reid's head. with the so-called 'all-in' mentality that the media has labeled this Eagles team someone is going to take a huge hit should this team fail to make a legitimate run.

either way let's hope they make that run, although as i stated above i'm not sensing it - hope i'm wrong. and frankly i'm a little bewildered at the notion that this is their most talented team. still see holes. 2004 was way more talented and balanced in the talent than this team.
    hopefully they have a good year and we don't have to worry about this reid nonsense. they have some issues, but I think they will get them straightened out. Reid teams always get stronger as the year goes on. with the new systems and coaches they are implementing this team could start slow, but as long as they are healthy they will be there at the end of the year.

philly sports are crazy right now. can't wait for phils playoffs, eagles season, and flyers season. lots of intrigue around here these days
    Ha. Check this out - of the 17-18 mil Vick is getting this year, he's taking home only about 1.5 mil.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,893
    Ha. Check this out - of the 17-18 mil Vick is getting this year, he's taking home only about 1.5 mil.
    Fines from his conviction?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:

Creditors, lawyers, ex-girlfriend, mom, etc. etc. etc. So, to answer your question - yes.

He would be out of debt by 2014. Crazy.
    mickeyrat wrote:

Creditors, lawyers, ex-girlfriend, mom, etc. etc. etc. So, to answer your question - yes.

He would be out of debt by 2014. Crazy.

that's awesome. hate to sound like a dick, but that news makes me happy

vick is still a douche
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i don't think it will or should happen but if this team fails this year i can see reid being shown the door. remember the media and the clueless fan base already dislikes the guy so if this team struggles the outcry from the media and said clueless fan base is going to be outrageous. hell in winning seasons including last years over half the fans (including many on here) were calling for reid's head. with the so-called 'all-in' mentality that the media has labeled this Eagles team someone is going to take a huge hit should this team fail to make a legitimate run.

either way let's hope they make that run, although as i stated above i'm not sensing it - hope i'm wrong. and frankly i'm a little bewildered at the notion that this is their most talented team. still see holes. 2004 was way more talented and balanced in the talent than this team.

the eagles will never succomb to pressure from the fans. that is absurd.

and there's no "so-called" all in mentality created by the media. joe banner said it himself. you'd know that if you were paying attention last month ;) . if this year falls apart and reid is fired, it will be banner, roseman, and lurie who made the decision. it will have zero, absolutely nothing, to do with the fans and media.

most talented team since 2004 is what i said. don't recall anyone saying most talented team ever.

super bowl is the goal.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    hopefully they have a good year and we don't have to worry about this reid nonsense. they have some issues, but I think they will get them straightened out. Reid teams always get stronger as the year goes on. with the new systems and coaches they are implementing this team could start slow, but as long as they are healthy they will be there at the end of the year.

philly sports are crazy right now. can't wait for phils playoffs, eagles season, and flyers season. lots of intrigue around here these days

i agree that it will take some time to get straightened out early on. i'd like to see the first team o line out there this week just so they can work on their cohesiveness.

reid's teams fell apart down the stretch in each of the last two years. this year, i see them building as the year goes on.

this fall is gonna be great. best time of year. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

i agree that it will take some time to get straightened out early on. i'd like to see the first team o line out there this week just so they can work on their cohesiveness.

reid's teams fell apart down the stretch in each of the last two years. this year, i see them building as the year goes on.

honestly I think it was great coaching that even got them to the playoffs the last two years (both of those birds defenses were horrendous). then reid put them in position to beat the SB champs last year until the QB choked the game away (deja vu)

I agree that this time of year is the best. Doesn't get any better than sports in october. And it looks like the awful heat and humidity are finally gone. Love it
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

honestly I think it was great coaching that even got them to the playoffs the last two years (both of those birds defenses were horrendous). then reid put them in position to beat the SB champs last year until the QB choked the game away.

I agree that this time of year is the best. Doesn't get any better than sports in october. And it looks like the awful heat and humidity are finally gone. Love it

great coaching? what, in october? as i've stated numerous times, i think it was poor coaching that cost them a first round bye last year.

they fell apart down the stretch the last two years despite great coaching. right on :thumbup:

actually--only 2 times they have came on strong down the stretch since 04 ('06 and '08) it was the defense leading the way.
    www.myspace.com
    great coaching? what, in october? as i've stated numerous times, i think it was poor coaching that cost them a first round bye last year.

they fell apart down the stretch the last two years despite great coaching. right on :thumbup:

actually--only 2 times they have came on strong down the stretch since 04 ('06 and '08) it was the defense leading the way.

my point is that the last two years the eagles have not been playoff caliber teams based on talent. coaching is what got them to the playoffs.

vick was HORRENDOUS vs minnesota last year. I think the vikings dropped 10 picks that game. And his fumble (after he ran around in the backfield for 5 minutes as always) resulted in a minn TD (I guess the fumble was reids fault).

no one wants to blame vick. the dude just isn't that good of a QB. he's an incredible athlete playing the wrong position. only thing I blame reid for is failing to realize this and trading away the wrong QB
    edited August 2011
    The Fixer wrote:

my point is that the last two years the eagles have not been playoff caliber teams based on talent. coaching is what got them to the playoffs.

vick was HORRENDOUS vs minnesota last year. I think the vikings dropped 10 picks that game. And his fumble (after he ran around in the backfield for 5 minutes as always) resulted in a minn TD (I guess the fumble was reids fault).

no one wants to blame vick. the dude just isn't that good of a QB. he's an incredible athlete playing the wrong position. only thing I blame reid for is failing to realize this and trading away the wrong QB

i completely disagree with you about the last two years. they absolutely were playoff caliber teams each year. not super bowl caliber but playoff caliber- no doubt. once vick was given the nod their expectactions changed dramatically.

the whole team was horrendous against minnesota. no excuse for them to come out that flat against a bad team with so much riding on it. that was essentially a playoff game for the birds and they did not show up. and if your qb is going bad, like he was, run the god damn ball!

oh, so the "only" thing you blame reid for is, in your opinion, completely screwing up the most important position in all of sports. :lol: obviously i disagree with you. but i just find it funny how you worship at the dude's altar despite this incredibly huge issue. seriously man. if you think vick is a garbage qb, you should hate andy reid for putting all his chips in vick's corner. i mean it's not like he went with a different outside linebacker than you liked. he literally changed the direction that the entire franchise was headed with vick at the helm.

i think he's good coach, not a great one. he makes the same mistakes he made in 1999. but i'm not one of those people who says "the eagles will never win a super bowl with andy reid... yada yada." despite some holes, this team has the talent to make a deep run this year. can't wait for the season to get going :mrgreen:
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    looks like maclin's going to play in week 1. that is great news. hopefully smith is able to play early on too and not get put on the pup list.

so many weapons.

huge if, obviously, but if the o line pans out--this offense should put up unbelievable amount of points this year...
    www.myspace.com
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    looks like maclin's going to play in week 1. that is great news.

Shit I passed on him in a late round yesterday... You gettin pumped for the season or what?

I realize I just scheduled an appt first thing Monday morning(12th) and the cowboys play late Sunday! I'm gonna be a hurtin sob at work! Haha
    crazypjfan wrote:

Shit I passed on him in a late round yesterday... You gettin pumped for the season or what?

I realize I just scheduled an appt first thing Monday morning(12th) and the cowboys play late Sunday! I'm gonna be a hurtin sob at work! Haha

that's an amateur move! haha

yeah i am getting pretty excited. my fantasy draft is tomorrow night. gonna be in full on football mode after that
    www.myspace.com
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    crazypjfan wrote:

that's an amateur move! haha

yeah i am getting pretty excited. my fantasy draft is tomorrow night. gonna be in full on football mode after that

Nice. Good luck! I have another one tomorrow night as well. I love it!
    The Fixer wrote:

i completely disagree with you about the last two years. they absolutely were playoff caliber teams each year. not super bowl caliber but playoff caliber- no doubt. once vick was given the nod their expectactions changed dramatically.

the whole team was horrendous against minnesota. no excuse for them to come out that flat against a bad team with so much riding on it. that was essentially a playoff game for the birds and they did not show up. and if your qb is going bad, like he was, run the god damn ball!

oh, so the "only" thing you blame reid for is, in your opinion, completely screwing up the most important position in all of sports. :lol: obviously i disagree with you. but i just find it funny how you worship at the dude's altar despite this incredibly huge issue. seriously man. if you think vick is a garbage qb, you should hate andy reid for putting all his chips in vick's corner. i mean it's not like he went with a different outside linebacker than you liked. he literally changed the direction that the entire franchise was headed with vick at the helm.

i think he's good coach, not a great one. he makes the same mistakes he made in 1999. but i'm not one of those people who says "the eagles will never win a super bowl with andy reid... yada yada." despite some holes, this team has the talent to make a deep run this year. can't wait for the season to get going :mrgreen:

look at how many TD passes the eagles have allowed the last two years. without reid they are the texans

reid shit the bed on the QB thing. I will call him out when I disagree with him...and I certainly do in this regard

vick isn't garbage, he's just not smart enough or well rounded enough as a player to lead a team to a SB win IMO

we're going in circles. you like vick more than I do and i like reid more than you do. like you said, they are tied at the hip now, so their success correlates. I hope vick proves me wrong. should be a fun season
This discussion has been closed.