The 2011 New Year Diet Resolution Thread

Comments

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    ooooooo, yea...another pound, gone!
    down 8.5 pounds, day 16.
    happy, happy.
    finally, a pound of progress....hope it keeps moving in that direction!

Excellent - you're doing so well! :D
  • Another bowl of Special K....
    Another tuna fish sandwich....
    Another can of cream of celery soup......

Life goes on.........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Hey so weekend partying did not take as much a toll as I thought.

Back down 7 lbs and totally on a mission this week :D
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Hey so weekend partying did not take as much a toll as I thought.

My loaf of "diet bread" lasts me 2 weeks.....Im shocked...hehehehehe

2 weeks ago I cooked a Perdue Roaster (whole chicken)....The 2 of us had dinner....I was then able to make that Bird last for 5 more days.....5 chicken sandwiches on my diet bread, and my cat got 3-5 more meals out of that chicken too......hehehehehe

A month ago that chicken would have lasted in my fridge for 12 hours....hehehehehe

Well done!!! :D
    Hey so weekend partying did not take as much a toll as I thought.

2 weeks ago I cooked a Perdue Roaster (whole chicken)....The 2 of us had dinner....I was then able to make that Bird last for 5 more days.....5 chicken sandwiches on my diet bread, and my cat got 3-5 more meals out of that chicken too......hehehehehe

A month ago that chicken would have lasted in my fridge for 12 hours....hehehehehe
    A month ago that chicken would have not made it to the fridge :oops:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Hey so weekend partying did not take as much a toll as I thought.

A month ago that chicken would have not made it to the fridge :oops:
    Ya know...

You are probably correct....hehehehehehe

Last week I took 3 chicken breasts and made some chicken and dumplings......
    The chicken and dumplings lasted for 7 days.......The recipe said it was 8 servings........So I made sure I got 8 servings out of it......

A few weeks back people on this board were saying "junk food" was cheaper than "healthy food"....
    That is 100% BULLSHIT!!!!!

I took an $8.00 chicken and ate that fucker for an entire week, both lunch and dinner........
    I took 3 chicken breasts and got 8 meals out of them......
    took 3 chicken breasts and got 8 meals out of them......

Had to read that again, thought you got 3 from the same chicken.
    Claireack wrote:

Well he is from Chernobyl so it makes sense...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Claireack wrote:

hehehehehehehehehe.......

I bought a $5 box of Special K, 2 weeks ago.....That box of cereal will give me 14 breakfasts.....

I still dont understand how people here were saying it was cheaper to eat junk food....
    I have spent the last 6 weeks eating as healthy as I possibly can (without making myself crazy).....hehehehe

My grocery bill has dropped 50%......

How is it cheaper to buy a $4.00 bag of potato chips, when $4.00 will get you 4lbs of potatoes??

How can spending $10.00 at popeyes chicken, for one meal, be cheaper than taking that $10, and buying 2 whole chickens?????
  • And since I feel like talking today....hehehehe

My opinion??? Getting on a scale everyday to see your results??? I dont think that is a good idea....Just my opinion....

I think giving yourself 30 days....JUST 30 DAYS!!!!! And eating a strict, healthy diet. STICKING to that diet. Cutting your calories to 1,500-2,000 calories a day. Not necessarily working out (though that obviously helps).

THEN, after 30 days, get on that scale..
    You will have lost weight...
    You havent made yourself crazy weighing yourself every day.....
    You will have lost 10-20 lbs.....
    You will see progress....
    You will feel better about yourself.....
    You will want to continue dieting and maybe start getting more exercise..........

Again, just my opinion....
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Claireack wrote:
    ooooooo, yea...another pound, gone!
    down 8.5 pounds, day 16.
    happy, happy.
    finally, a pound of progress....hope it keeps moving in that direction!

Excellent - you're doing so well! :D

:mrgreen:
    well, i still have a long way to go.....so don't want to celebrate too much, too early.
    but yea, i'm happy.

BD - awesome!
    :thumbup:

and i agree, eating healthy is cheaper in the long run. if you shop well and most definitely watch portions, you most definitely get more bang for your buck - nutritionally, overall health, and even, in time, enjoyment of food.

oh and for some of us, daily weigh-ins are motivating.
    it's not for everyone and i would never recommend it to others, but some of us, it works. it IS said that WEEKLY weigh-ins are wise, helps the average person keep on track whether they want to lose weight, or simply maintain. supposedly, along with other factors too of course, but women who do weekly weigh-ins manage to maintain their weight better than those who don't. agre, disagree, c'est la vie. for me, daily weigh-ins have helped me to (more or less) maintain my weight that last 5 years. granted, not where i want to be :P....but i think it helped curb even more damage. whatever works, so individual!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    And since I feel like talking today....hehehehe

My opinion??? Getting on a scale everyday to see your results??? I dont think that is a good idea....Just my opinion....

I think giving yourself 30 days....JUST 30 DAYS!!!!! And eating a strict, healthy diet. STICKING to that diet. Cutting your calories to 1,500-2,000 calories a day. Not necessarily working out (though that obviously helps).

You will want to continue dieting and maybe start getting more exercise..........

i completely agree...imo weighing everyday and "obsessing" over how much weight you've gained or lost seems counterproductive...and when i say obsessing, i don't mean to imply that people are obsessed just that one's energy and focus should be on eating better and exercise...hopefully, if you do this right, you will see results
    norm wrote:
    i completely agree...imo weighing everyday and "obsessing" over how much weight you've gained or lost seems counterproductive...and when i say obsessing, i don't mean to imply that people are obsessed just that one's energy and focus should be on eating better and exercise...hopefully, if you do this right, you will see results

one can do both. ;)
    just sayin'.
    for me, it works...always has.

i personally can see weekly weigh-ins, i would never wait a month. i like to see progress, that what i am doing is having the desired effects. yes, i know, the overall health benefits are there scale or not....but IF weight-loss is a goal, weekly weigh-ins can be motivating. for me, i like to weigh daily. whatever works for you is what is right for you. i have been eating uber healthy, and well-balanced. i have always ate fairly healthy, but now, more than ever...so it's all good.

btw - idk what kinda super-size boxes of cereal some may buy...but my box of kashi go lean crunch is only meant to get 8 servings per box. but i guess it is entirely dependent on what cereal you buy, and more importantly, how big a box.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

norm wrote:

one can do both. ;)
    just sayin'.
    for me, it works...always has.

i personally can see weekly weigh-ins, i would never wait a month. i like to see progress, that what i am doing is having the desired effects. yes, i know, the overall health benefits are there scale or not....but IF weight-loss is a goal, weekly weigh-ins can be motivating. for me, i like to weigh daily. whatever works for you is what is right for you. i have been eating uber healthy, and well-balanced. i have always ate fairly healthy, but now, more than ever...so it's all good.

well i read people's posts and everyday it's i've lost 4 ounces, gained 2 lbs etc...and they become frustrated...at least that's what i'm reading...and i don't believe that frustration is good for their mental well being and could affect their weight

but then again, i don't know my ass from my elbow and am a fat bastard so my advice is pretty useless ;) :P :lol:
    norm wrote:
    well i read people's posts and everyday it's i've lost 4 ounces, gained 2 lbs etc...and they become frustrated...at least that's what i'm reading...and i don't believe that frustration is good for their mental well being and could affect their weight

but then again, i don't know my ass from my elbow and am a fat bastard so my advice is pretty useless ;) :P :lol:

i dunno. i've read this thread from start to finish, and i think i am the only one who has daily weigh-ins. or there may be others, but most don't post here every day. :P i've never expressed 'frustration' over it, even said from the get-go, i realize daily fluctuations do not mean much, have to look at the 'bigger picture'...even posted an article, and a specific excerpt, on this very topic. sian expressed frustration, but over time...and she's come a looonnng way, impressive results. i think everyone gets frustrated when they hit plateaus. seems to me most are doing weekly weigh-ins. actually, i think that was BD's suggestion from the start? following his WW program, thus monday weigh-ins? i guess we all read different things in different people's posts. and i dunno, i think you've made amazing strides in your own health, so most definitely full of good advice imo. :thumbup:

(don't have to agree with you all the time ;) to think that overall, your advice is damn good :D)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

norm wrote:

i dunno. i've read this thread from start to finish, and i think i am the only one who has daily weigh-ins. or there may be others, but most don't post here every day. :P i've never expressed 'frustration' over it, even said from the get-go, i realize daily fluctuations do not mean much, have to look at the 'bigger picture'...even posted an article, and a specific excerpt, on this very topic. sian expressed frustration, but over time...and she's come a looonnng way, impressive results. i think everyone gets frustrated when they hit plateaus. seems to me most are doing weekly weigh-ins. actually, i think that was BD's suggestion from the start? following his WW program, thus monday weigh-ins? i guess we all read different things in different people's posts. and i dunno, i think you've made amazing strides in your own health, so most definitely full of good advice imo. :thumbup:

(don't have to agree with you all the time ;) to think that overall, your advice is damn good :D)

like i said, probably just talkin' out my ass...in my mind, knowing how much weight i've lost or gained on a daily or weekly basis isn't gonna change how i eat...but if it works for you then by god do it!! :mrgreen:
    norm wrote:

like i said, probably just talkin' out my ass...in my mind, knowing how much weight i've lost or gained on a daily or weekly basis isn't gonna change how i eat...but if it works for you then by god do it!! :mrgreen:

for me, it may or may not.....but what it will do, hopefully, is be motivating...wherever the numbers are on the scale.

here it is:
    was just doing some online reading, thought this was good to share here:

"When weighing yourself and keeping a weight graph or table, however, remember that one day's diet and exercise patterns won't have a measurable effect on your fat weight the next day. Today's weight is not a true measure of how well you followed your program yesterday, because your body's water weight will change much more from day to day than will your fat weight, and water changes are often the result of things that have nothing to do with your weight-management efforts."

also, this might be helpful for setting healthy goals to work towards:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exerc ... 6-143.html
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    Claireack wrote:

hehehehehehehehehe.......

I bought a $5 box of Special K, 2 weeks ago.....That box of cereal will give me 14 breakfasts.....

I still dont understand how people here were saying it was cheaper to eat junk food....
    I have spent the last 6 weeks eating as healthy as I possibly can (without making myself crazy).....hehehehe

My grocery bill has dropped 50%......

How is it cheaper to buy a $4.00 bag of potato chips, when $4.00 will get you 4lbs of potatoes??

How can spending $10.00 at popeyes chicken, for one meal, be cheaper than taking that $10, and buying 2 whole chickens?????

it's not.

it's just easier to justify spending 10 bucks on Popeye's than sitting down
    at the beginning of the week and actually planning, loosely, your meals and what
    you are going to get at the grocery for the week.

easier but so much costlier in more ways than one.

a little planning goes along way.
    Nice shirt.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I've no idea how much I weigh and I don't care. It's how I feel that counts. I knew I was gaining weight and becoming a blubber butt so decided to try and do something about it. I've stopped eating bread, cheese (my favourite food) chocolate and cakes and the weight is beginning to drop off. Apart from those items I'm eating the same stuff. It may take a while to get to where I want to be but so what.
    I think, and it's just my opinion, everybody has their own way of doing it, weigh daily, weigh weekly, weigh monthly. Count calories, fat percentage or whatever. Each to their own. I probably moan an awful lot in here but that's just me, I moan about most things at some point or other, so I apologise if I piss anyone off.

Anyway, let's stop bitching and give each other a pat on the back for all doing well, whether it's 1/2 a pound off or 10 stone.

:D
    Claireack wrote:
    I think, and it's just my opinion, everybody has their own way of doing it, weigh daily, weigh weekly, weigh monthly. Count calories, fat percentage or whatever. Each to their own. I probably moan an awful lot in here but that's just me, I moan about most things at some point or other, so I apologise if I piss anyone off.

Anyway, let's stop bitching and give each other a pat on the back for all doing well, whether it's 1/2 a pound off or 10 stone.

:D

:lol:
    you just seem to have a guilty conscience over the 'naughty' - your words - things you eat. stop beating yourself up, that's life...and you're doing GREAT! :thumbup:

and your post just reminded me of...

Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

yea.....got to find our own ways......
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

reading some articles online from the NY Times, and came across this - so simple and straightforward, what we know we should do....but thought it good to share:

A Few Words to the Wise

FOCUS ON eating more vegetables, fruits and whole grains. Plan your meals around these most health-protective, naturally low-fat foods and use high-protein animal foods more as condiments than as the centerpiece of a meal.

SACRIFICE a little of your free time to prepare nutritious meals at home. The only way to be sure of the nutritional quality of your meals is to make them yourself. Cook in batches and freeze well-labeled individual or family portions for wholesome instant meals later on.

AVOID RIGIDITY. Any food, however caloric or fatty, is O.K. now and then. The secret to a successful, healthful diet is variety, not limitation; moderation, not elimination, and gradual, evolutionary change, not revolution. Consider changing one meal every week to something more nutritious. By year's end, you will have a new way of eating and be much less likely to miss your old, less wholesome habits.

USE EXERCISE, meditation, yoga and other reliable relaxation techniques to help reduce the stress in your life. Stress undermines the immune system and can increase susceptibility to infections, heart disease and cancer. There is nothing to gain and much to lose by countering stress with health-damaging habits like cigarette smoking, drug abuse or excessive alcohol drinking.

DEVOTE at least a half-hour a day to an activity you enjoy that makes you breathe harder and perhaps sweat a little. The benefits to your body -- your heart, bones, blood-sugar level, digestion and more -- are almost too numerous to mention. And recent studies indicate that regular exercise also protects against cancer. An equal dividend is the feeling of well-being you get after exercising. Even when mentally or physically drained from the day's demands, I head for a pool each evening to swim for a half-hour, then return home a renewed and more relaxed person. J. E. B.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• eating a strict, healthy diet. STICKING to that diet. Cutting your calories to 1,500-2,000 calories a day.

Of course crash diets work in the short term. What happens if such a person on a "strict diet" wants to eat a normal amount of food again? His metabolism will be unable to handle it, and he will gain weight.

The theme of this thread seems to be, "He who eats the least, wins." That is a terrible message. It is the exact opposite of health. Whole food that is not GMO, pasteurized, irradiated, or sprayed with chemicals is full of living enzymes that work with our cells to manufacture vitamins, regulate blood sugar, and move toxins out of the body.

My advice: EAT! Love yourself, respect yourself enough to nourish your body with what it needs. Do the research. Good and bad information abounds, but it's not rocket science.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • eating a strict, healthy diet. STICKING to that diet. Cutting your calories to 1,500-2,000 calories a day.

Of course crash diets work in the short term. What happens if such a person on a "strict diet" wants to eat a normal amount of food again? His metabolism will be unable to handle it, and he will gain weight.

The theme of this thread seems to be, "He who eats the least, wins." That is a terrible message. It is the exact opposite of health. Whole food that is not GMO, pasteurized, irradiated, or sprayed with chemicals is full of living enzymes that work with our cells to manufacture vitamins, regulate blood sugar, and move toxins out of the body.

My advice: EAT! Love yourself, respect yourself enough to nourish your body with what it needs. Do the research. Good and bad information abounds, but it's not rocket science.
    I am not talking about a "crash diet"

I agree 100% with you......

Eat healthy.....
    Use common sense.....
    Stick to 2000 calories a day......
    You will lose weight....
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    norm wrote:

I knew you were Scottish deep down

6a00b8ea06ece0dece00c2251c31a2549d-500pi
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • My diet stops today...

For breakfast tomorrow I have black pudding, fried mushrooms, venison sausages, star wars pasta shapes and scrambled eggs... I don't think i'll lose any weight eating that or the Dominos pizza and wine i'm having for dinner! :lol:

I'll be back in here and back on track on 2nd Feb. Good luck over the next week all! :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    hey lads, my wife lost 26 pounds by me persuading her to go on top every time.

we're both winners that way

oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    My diet stops today...

For breakfast tomorrow I have black pudding, fried mushrooms, venison sausages, star wars pasta shapes and scrambled eggs... I don't think i'll lose any weight eating that or the Dominos pizza and wine i'm having for dinner! :lol:

I'll be back in here and back on track on 2nd Feb. Good luck over the next week all! :D

:mrgreen:
    enjoy your birthday celebration!!!

and hey, what timing, we were *just* discussing this here yesterday, and look what link was in one of my daily health & nutrition e-mails:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/us ... scale.aspx

Love It, Hate It, Use It: Your Scale
    You need a scale to track your weight-loss progress. You may be tempted to weigh in every day, and studies show that's not a bad idea. Whatever you do, be consistent about it.
    By Madeline Vann, MPH
    Medically reviewed by Christine Wilmsen Craig, MD
    Print Article Print E-mail Article Email

Stepping on the scale for your regular weigh-in can be nerve-racking, thrilling, or motivating, depending on the outcome. Hardly anyone feels neutral about the numbers on the scale. Yet keeping a balanced perspective about the role of your scale in weight loss is key to your ultimate success.

The Scale: A Successful Tool

Data suggest that people who weigh themselves regularly do better with their weight-loss plan. A national survey of 4,345 adults found that those who weighed themselves daily were more likely to be successful with their weight-loss programs than those who were inconsistent.

Opinions vary about how often should you weigh yourself. “I don’t recommend it more than once a week,” says Liz Weinandy, RD, MPH, a dietitian for the non-surgical weight loss program at Ohio State University Medical Center in Columbus.

However, some people, especially those who are motivated by the results of their weigh-ins, can weigh in more often. Says Weinandy, “If you look at the scale and see you’ve gained weight and it motivates you to exercise a bit more, that’s fine,” she says. Consistency is the rule of thumb for weighing in. Try to step on the scale:

* The same day of the week
    * At the same time of day
    * Wearing about the same amount of clothing every time

“Many people prefer first thing in the morning, without any clothes,” Weindandy says.

Make sure to write down your results so you can track your progress. Use a chart that shows several weeks at a time. This will help you identify any weight cycles that you may have. For example, many women find their weight goes up slightly as they retain fluid when their period is approaching.

The Scale: Keep a Balanced View

While it is important to know how your weight loss is progressing, you should use this tool in moderation, says Weinandy.

“What happens is a lot of people tend to get fixated on the scale,” she says. She recalls one patient whose clothes were fitting better and had a regular exercise program that she enjoyed, but she was so focused on the numbers on the scale that she couldn’t acknowledge those achievements.

“Your scale can definitely be a source of undeserved disappointment or euphoria,” says Weinandy. “If you are slightly dehydrated, for example, you will weigh less, but gain it back when you get hydrated again.”

One study examined the possible relationship between depression, being overweight, and an unhealthy concern with the bathroom scale — and found there wasn’t any. This study involving 4,660 dieting women showed that all women who weighed themselves regularly lost weight, regardless of whether they were depressed, and that depressed women were no more likely, or less likely, than their peers to use the scale.

The Scale: The Big Purchase

When you go shopping for a scale you will find there are many varieties to choose from. Weinandy says that you can get a good scale for about $30 — just make sure you can read the numbers easily. If you or someone in your house is very heavy, be sure the scale can accommodate that weight.

As you’re comparing the choices, remember that this is a piece of equipment with which you will have a long-term relationship. When tracking your weight, it is important to use the same scale every time, so be sure to select a model you are comfortable with.

Last Updated: 04/07/2009
    This section created and produced exclusively by the editorial staff of EverydayHealth.com. © 2009 EverydayHealth.com; all rights reserved.

so yes, whatever works for you. :)
    i gained back the pound i 'lost' yesterday, and so it goes! water fluctuations, etc. i just like to see the daily fluctuations, and then the tally of one week to the next progress. whatever works for ya!

it really interests me how we all obviously read different things within the same words. me, i see the vast majority in this thread espousing HEALTHY lifestyle changes, not drastic crash diets or eating the least. not at all. now i will grant you that most of us are not eating a pristine, all-organic diet as you personally live/espouse, but that certainly doesn't mean we aren't going about our lifestyle changes in healthy ways.

as to your advice - i think that again, that's exactly what most here seem to be embracing. taking charge of their health and wanting to improve their overall health, their bodies....live a healthy, nourishing lifestyle. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...