The 2011 New Year Diet Resolution Thread

Comments

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    norm wrote:
    WTF is kashi?????

Wait a second....
    I dont want to know what kashi is.....

I have made it 44 years without eating kashi....
    It is safe to say I will Die without ever eating kashi...........hehehehe

go outside...pick up some dirt, sticks and leaves and pour milk on it

that's kashi :sick:

have you tried it?
    i LOVE it - but only the crunch varieties, not the original.
    http://kashi.com/products/golean_crunch

i'm tellin' ya, yummy, yummy!

i also have 'discovered' mixing non-fat plain greek yogurt with a spicy dip mix makes an AWESOME dip for my crudite, and it's zero fat and lots of protein! even if i ate the whole 8 oz, (which i do when eating just the yogurt with berries...but don't when eating it as a dip) would be only 100 cals, zero fat and 18 grams of protein. :shock: i LOVE when i find truly healthy stuff that is so damn yummy. i actually look forward to it with my celery/carrots with my lunch today. :lol:

btw - these are amazing granola bars:
    http://kashi.com/products/chewy_granola ... _chocolate
    sooooooo good!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:
    WTF is kashi?????

Wait a second....
    I dont want to know what kashi is.....

I have made it 44 years without eating kashi....
    It is safe to say I will Die without ever eating kashi...........hehehehe

go outside...pick up some dirt, sticks and leaves and pour milk on it

that's kashi :sick:

have you tried it?

yes!! there was more taste in the box it came in ;) :P
    norm wrote:
    have you tried it?

i bet you tried the original variety, and not the go lean crunch i posted a link to.
    i'm telling you.....sooooo good!
    :thumbup:
    i won't eat crap just b/c it's healthy, it has to taste good too. b/c i know myself, if i just eat stuff b/c it will help me lose weight and/or is simply healthy, eventually i will stop and eat stuff i love again. for me, the trick is finding stuff i LOVE that is healthy and aids/maintains weight loss. so yes, it IS tasty.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:
    have you tried it?

i bet you tried the original variety, and not the go lean crunch i posted a link to.
    i'm telling you.....sooooo good!
    i won't eat crap just b/c it's healthy, it has to taste good too. b/c i know myself, if i just eat stuff b/c it will help me lose weight and/or is simply healthy, eventually i will stop and eat stuff i love again. for me, the trick is finding stuff i LOVE that is healthy and aids/maintains weight loss. so yes, it IS tasty.

yeah i don't know what variety it was but i took one bite and that was it :sick:

i don't mind eating healthier but i don't want to be tortured by it :D
    norm wrote:

yeah i don't know what variety it was but i took one bite and that was it :sick:

i don't mind eating healthier but i don't want to be tortured by it :D

i'm telling you - TRY it!
    it's yummy!
    very, very crunchy, nice sweetness.....good.
    and good source of protein/fiber.
    it is now my fave cereal.
    and i am very serious about my cereal. ;)

also, if you like granola bars, their cherry dark chocolate is GREAT.
    (see links above)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

still holding to 5.5 pounds down.
    ate very well yesterday, no surprises/negatives.
    tonight, chicken taquitos with guacamole, so we'll see if the guac has a negative effect or not. :P
    'pizza fridays' begin at work this week too. i LOVE pizza. i stick to margherita pizza, so a good choice and there's no way i am depriving myself of that b/c i would go nuts smelling all that pizza, everyone eating it, but not me. no way. i'm going to try and have 2 slices, and just make sure i stick to healthy/light foods the rest of the day/evening, and hopefully won't do any damage. got to find a way to balance living, b/c otherwise i'll never keep this up or maintain any loss. so hopefully i can find the right balance for my body. and sure, my tastebuds. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

edited January 2010
    was just doing some online reading, thought this was good to share here:

"When weighing yourself and keeping a weight graph or table, however, remember that one day's diet and exercise patterns won't have a measurable effect on your fat weight the next day. Today's weight is not a true measure of how well you followed your program yesterday, because your body's water weight will change much more from day to day than will your fat weight, and water changes are often the result of things that have nothing to do with your weight-management efforts."

also, this might be helpful for setting healthy goals to work towards:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exerc ... 6-143.html
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    was just doing some online reading, thought this was good to share here:

"When weighing yourself and keeping a weight graph or table, however, remember that one day's diet and exercise patterns won't have a measurable effect on your fat weight the next day. Today's weight is not a true measure of how well you followed your program yesterday, because your body's water weight will change much more from day to day than will your fat weight, and water changes are often the result of things that have nothing to do with your weight-management efforts."

I'm quite PROUD of my "Oversized" BELLY!...lol :P
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    edited January 2010

Interesting ....... so I should weigh myself on a day when I peeed a lot?

Wed 20/01

decaff coffee with diet sugar x 5 with skimmed milk
    water
    Orange juice

Blueberry wheats
    Cherries to snack on
    3 ryvita with low fat cream cheese
    vanilla fat free yoghurt
    Apple
    Small rice crispy cake
    Jaffa cake
    Pasta with a tomato and basil sauce
    2 rice cakes
    small handful of trail mix
    Post edited by Claireack on
    Claireack wrote:

Interesting ....... so I should weigh myself on a day when I peeed a lot?

:lol:
    i think the message is simply, long-term effects, like weighing-in once a week...gives you a better picture of your progress rather than daily fluctuations. so perhaps whenever i eat guacamole i hold onto more water, rather than actually gain true weight. :P
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

so perhaps whenever i eat guacamole i hold onto more water, rather than actually gain true weight.

Definately!! Don't eat anymore guacamole! Or if you do, only weigh yourself 5 days later. :D
  • Yesterday, I came home from work....

And I ate celery sticks....CELERY STICKS?????

ughhhhhh

I have hit rock bottom!!!!! hehehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    edited January 2010
    Claireack wrote:
    so perhaps whenever i eat guacamole i hold onto more water, rather than actually gain true weight.

Definately!! Don't eat anymore guacamole! Or if you do, only weigh yourself 5 days later. :D

i'm having guacamole again tonight, and i WILL weigh myself tomorrow - all about the scientific studies ;) - but i won't beat myself up over it if i once again regain a 1/2 pound. :D however, perhaps last week it was just where i was in my cycle, since we women definitely have even more water weight changes...so that's just one more possible thing to monitor/be aware of. i like to weigh myself daily, keeps myself on track. i've being doing so consistently the past 2-3 years. i wasn't truly making a good effort to lose weight at all, but i also think it helped keep me in line, so my fat-ass didn't get any fatter. i mean, i have maintained my current fat-ass, +/-5 pounds, for the last couple of years... :lol: however, this is a good indication to look more long-term, and not necessary equate cause/effect just from one day to the next. so it may not be the guac at all.... ;) and damn, the way i eat it nowadays, a 1/4 of an avocado....seriously....that ain't much guac!

speedy, try to make up a nice dip for your celery. i posted about it yesterday - made a GREAT dip with non-fat greek yogurt and this spicy mix i got from my sister. healthy and uber low-cal, and most importantly, delicious! i wish i knew what the spice mix was called. she got it some tupperware party. had it for the first time at her house for christmas, tho mixed with sour cream, and it was soooo good. her hubby gave me a small sample of the spice to take home. tried it with the yogurt, just as tasty! my sis said she can get me more. so yea, bottomline...fine something good for you and great tasting to accompany your celery, and you'll actually enjoy it. hummus is a good choice too - and yummy! :thumbup:
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Claireack wrote:

i'm having guacamole again tonight, and i WILL weigh myself tomorrow - all about the scientific studies ;) - but i won't beat myself up over it if i once again regain a 1/2 pound. :D however, perhaps last week it was just where i was in my cycle, since we women definitely have even more water weight changes...so that's just one more possible thing to monitor/be aware of. i like to weigh myself daily, keeps myself on track. i've being doing so consistently the past 2-3 years. i wasn't truly making a good effort to lose weight at all, but i also think it helped keep me in line, so my fat-ass didn't get any fatter. i mean, i have maintained my current fat-ass, +/-5 pounds, for the last couple of years... :lol: however, this is a good indication to look more long-term, and not necessary equate cause/effect just from one day to the next. so it may not be the guac at all.... ;) and damn, the way i eat it nowadays, a 1/4 of an avocado....seriously....that ain't much guac!

speedy, try to make up a nice dip for your celery. i posted about it yesterday - made a GREAT dip with non-fat greek yogurt and this spicy mix i got from my sister. healthy and uber low-cal, and most importantly, delicious! i wish i knew what the spice mix was called. she got it some tupperware party. had it for the first time at her house for christmas, tho mixed with sour cream, and it was soooo good. her hubby gave me a small sample of the spice to take home. tried it with the yogurt, just as tasty! my sis said she can get me more. so yea, bottomline...fine something good for you and great tasting to accompany your celery, and you'll actually enjoy it. :thumbup:
    You, my friend, are taking this thread waaaay to serious....hehehehe
    You, my friend, are taking this thread waaaay to serious....hehehehe

:?:
    seriously, it's a weight-loss thread.
    i AM taking it seriously, b/c i am serious about losing weight...and i come here for support, to share tips, encouragement, etc. sorry, i won't offer anymore helpful suggestions your way, haha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• You, my friend, are taking this thread waaaay to serious....hehehehe
    sorry, i won't offer anymore helpful suggestions your way, haha.
    Much appreciated.
  • Thanks to much help via the power of PM (thank you) I'm back on track and feeling good about it. I've cut my exercise this week as I was doing too much and i've upped my protein intake. I'm now 12lb down from my Christmas weight.
    I'm trying really hard all this week as i'm having a break for my birthday next week and I want to feel like I deserve to eat lots of pizza and drink too much wine :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    Thanks to much help via the power of PM (thank you) I'm back on track and feeling good about it. I've cut my exercise this week as I was doing too much and i've upped my protein intake. I'm now 12lb down from my Christmas weight.
    I'm trying really hard all this week as i'm having a break for my birthday next week and I want to feel like I deserve to eat lots of pizza and drink too much wine :D

happy to help!
    besides, you're such an inspiration!
    keep it up and kudos to you!

me....down another 1/2 pound!
    woooohoooo! the guacamole effect has been ended... :lol:
    so day 11, 6 pounds down. :D still 2 more pounds to be back at my pre-holiday weight, but i am happy. hoping to be 4 pounds lighter by 02.01. we shall see! i am feeling really good and positive, and i hope i can continue with the forward progress. i've got just about 4.5-5 months to reach my goal in my preferred timeframe, so i feel motivated!

and hey, enjoy some pizza and wine! life is all balance!
    i already penciled in 2 slices of pizza for tomorrow, and will every friday thru april 15th. if i find it truly has adverse effects on my overall progress, of course i will rethink it....but bottomline, you gotta live and enjoy too!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    OK don't go to a conference with clients where you have meetings for breakfast, lunch and dinner over 3 days and then have parties at night whilst dieting.

Put on 3 pounds but back on it this morning. Of course now I have my niece's Bat Mitzvah this weekend with 3 different parties, oy!
    GoiMTvP.gif
    OK don't go to a conference with clients where you have meetings for breakfast, lunch and dinner over 3 days and then have parties at night whilst dieting.

Put on 3 pounds but back on it this morning. Of course now I have my niece's Bat Mitzvah this weekend with 3 different parties, oy!

that's all that matters!
    keep it up!

and hey, lesson learned? haha. i think dining out is THE hardest thing when watching your diet - it's difficult to make those healthy choices. and hey, one party this weekend shouldn't derail you that much, so no biggie....enjoy it. :)

glad to seeya back in the thread.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

edited January 2010
    Thurs 21/01

Decaff coffee & diet sugar skimmed or semi milk x 5
    Water

Blueberry wheats
    3 1/2 chips
    Vanilla fat free yoghurt
    Apple
    Small carton of orange juice.
    Salad with with quorn & a wrap
    Go ahead biscuits x 2 74 calories each
    3 rice cakes

2 very small rum truffles

Well done Sian!!
  • More chicken
    More soup
    Some spinach....

Fuck tuna fish......

And I have eaten Special K cereal for 3 days.....Which is the most cereal I have eaten, in any given year......since I was 5-6 years old......
    mmmm...chicken and proscuitto whole wheat ravioli with browned garlic & broccoli in olive oil & smart balance tonight.
    *drools*

wine would be an oh so good accompaniment, but my green & white iced tea will have to suffice. :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I thought I lost three pounds on Tuesday, but it seems like it was just a mild fluctuation of the scale for a day. :? :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Claireack wrote:
    Thurs 21/01

Decaff coffee & diet sugar skimmed or semi milk x 5
    Water

Blueberry wheats
    3 1/2 chips
    Vanilla fat free yoghurt
    Apple
    Small carton of orange juice.
    Salad with with quorn & a wrap
    Go ahead biscuits x 2 74 calories each
    3 rice cakes

2 very small rum truffles

Well done Sian!!

Thanks doll :mrgreen:

How are you doing on the weight loss front?

I have to admit, the support in this thread and from people on here in general is awesome. Thanks everyone :thumbup:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    dammit i plateau'd this week...stayed the same as last week, and didn't lose much last week. still down 8...need to refocus...
    I love to turn you on
    edited January 2010
    How are you doing on the weight loss front?

Very slow so far, put weight on first week 1lb 14 oz last week (but I am naughty some times and I do keep having treats - I keep including them in the list on here for the sake of honesty :oops: )

Fri 22/1

Decaff with diet sugar & skimmed/semi skimmed milk x 5
    Caff coffee with sugar & semi skimmed x 2
    Water
    Options hot choc 40 calories

Blueberry wheats with skimmed milk
    2 x dark chocolate gingernuts (160 calories)
    2 poached eggs on seedy bread
    Falafel with salad and 1 slice seedy bread
    Go ahead yoghurt biscuits x 2
    Small handful trail mix

Keep forgetting to put exercise down - walked about 3 1/2 miles today
    Good morning all. Will someone please remove the bag of M&M's that is on my desk?

Good so far
    Cup of Coffee
    Light Bagel with Light Creme Cheese
    Fender Bender with an obnixious Septiginarian
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Will someone please remove the bag of M&M's that is on my desk?

I'll have them if you don't want them?? :D

Aren't you meant to be away?
    Claireack wrote:
    Will someone please remove the bag of M&M's that is on my desk?

I'll have them if you don't want them?? :D

Aren't you meant to be away?
    I am away :)
    The fun begins tonight :)
    GoiMTvP.gif