The 2011 New Year Diet Resolution Thread

Comments

• Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977

exactly.
    it can go both ways.
    thus, what works for you, works for you...and what works for me may not work for you.
    i find the first article i posted illustrates the 'whys' of daily weigh-ins working for me. i am not suggesting anyone follow my personal way going about it, said as much from the get-go.

besides, still suggests WEEKLY weigh-ins to keep on track, not monthly:

" How to Weigh Yourself Appropriately
    "I recommend an individual weigh themselves once a week," Gans says. "Once a week is a good time to check in and see if the scale is moving in the desired direction." You should always weigh yourself at the same time on the same day so there's consistency in your measurements.

Stephanie Wiseman, 23, one of Gans's clients, finds that weighing herself regularly is a helpful tool in reaching a healthy weight. "It gives me a good gauge as to how I'm doing," says Wiseman. "If you're not losing, you need to switch something — like your diet or exercise."

also, most of the article focuses on HS girls and their unhealthy habits. as a grown woman, i think i am a bit more in tune and aware of what the daily fluctuations really mean, and thus i personally find it motivating, not sabotaging. i like to track overall patterns, which i only get by daily weigh-ins....but i focus on my weekly weigh fluctuations to truly track progress.

we all can find various articles and experts to 'back up' our own beliefs on just about anything.

again, whatever works for you.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

since learning healthy portion sizes is so integral to eating well, and most especially for snacking...this is a kinda fun time-waster and also informative. altho they call it 'healthy snacks' you'll see some very unhealthy snacks are thrown in too for very illustrative examples:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-l ... ories-quiz

Which Healthy Snack Adds up to 100 Calories?
    If you think you're a calorie counting queen, take our pop quiz and test your dieting skills

WOW! YOU'RE A MASTER SNACKER
    21 out of 24
    You're awesome at eyeballing what 100 calories looks like. Here's the full list of 100-calorie snacks if you'd like an easy version to print out.
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I'm pretty on track with my diet for the most part but I would like to try to eliminate processed foods and sugars from my diet. Or the very least limit them.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    ok, so it's a slow workday today :P...so some more readings, and just a few excerpts that caught my eye.

Harley Pasternak

5factordiet.com.

In Japan, they practice Hara hachi bunme — eating until they're 80 percent full. Then they wait 20 to 30 minutes to see if they're still hungry. In Sweden, they practice lagom, which means “just enough” — they eat until they are satisfied but not full.

The United States is far too efficient. We've lost the ceremony of eating. People don't eat at home and cook meals at home. More than 50 percent of Americans' annual food budget is spent on meals outside the home.

Fitness isn't about being extreme and hard-core. Healthy eating is not about counting calories, weighing food, or finding less tasteful ingredients. Life is about balance.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Didn't eat much yesterday as stuff going on.

But today gone into the naughty zone, breakfast was a Crunchie, lunch salad sarnie and chips. I'll try and do better for tea :oops:
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Been good although it has been easy as I have been taking care of the Mrs. Bought some chicken for din din and have been eating veggies :)
    GoiMTvP.gif
    edited January 2010
    Claireack wrote:
    Didn't eat much yesterday as stuff going on.

But today gone into the naughty zone, breakfast was a Crunchie, lunch salad sarnie and chips. I'll try and do better for tea :oops:

outside of chips...i have no idea wtf you've eaten. :?
    a crunchie?
    salad sarnie?
    :D

and...eat!
    it's worse for your metabolism when you don't eat. and again, stop beating yourself up about being human.
    perhaps you need to refocus on your goals?

down 1.5 more pounds total this week,....yay.
    of course, that can all change tomorrow ;).....hoping it doesn't tho. monday is a 'goal date'....and i really hope/plan to hit my goal! one more pound and i'm there! and if not, well...whatever....making good efforts, staying focused, being healthy - and really enjoying it! - so i know i am on the right track long-term. but you bet, it would be a great boost to hit that first mini-goal too.

hubby made ginger glazed salmon with a sesame-seed crust last night. he makes it often and i love it, but last night he steamed the fish and man, what a difference...sooooo delicious!

BD - well done you!
    you've got a lot on your plate at the moment (hope your wife is doing well) so the fact that you are still focusing on your health goals....kudos. :)

*edited for incorrect arithmetic.... :oops:
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

a crunchie?
    salad sarnie?

A crunchie is gorgeous, it has a honeycomb centre and is covered with lovely chocolate. You know what a salad sarnie is! :D - a salad sandwhich. No I'm just having a blip, because of having a bad couple of days. Will be back on track soon :D
    Claireack wrote:
    a crunchie?
    salad sarnie?

A crunchie is gorgeous, it has a honeycomb centre and is covered with lovely chocolate. You know what a salad sarnie is! :D - a salad sandwhich. No I'm just having a blip, because of having a bad couple of days. Will be back on track soon :D

oooooooo...that does sound yummy!
    and dangerous!

oh so a sarnie is a sandwich?
    well damn, i've never heard that before. well, a salad sandwich, even accompanied by chips, that's not bad at all really. and even the crunchie, cmon...it's just one fucking crunchie. it ain't gonna kill ya, nor derail your goals unless you choose to do so. so relax. sorry about your bad couple of days. :(

no matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead... :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

no matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead...

Hoorah!!! :D
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited January 2010
    Afternoon snacktime (and am feeling hungry) ... so clementine.

Read in the paper yesterday that one of the celebrity chefs from Valentine's day is turning one of his London restaurants into a veggie restaurant so something to look forward to ... now need to find an excuse to give it a visit :mrgreen: ... the menu looks yummy

... and d2d yep sarnie, sanger, buttie ... and if you're Scottish piece :lol:
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    chime wrote:
    ... and d2d yep sarnie, sanger, buttie ... and if your Scottish piece :lol:

aye, ye cannae beat a jammie piece!! :thumbup:

turns out i've lost 7.5 pounds in 11 days!! weighed myself this morning and was delighted... I'm doing the GI diet with me missus... :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    chime wrote:
    ... and d2d yep sarnie, sanger, buttie ... and if your Scottish piece :lol:

good to know!
    here it's a sandwich, maybe a sammie....and then if it's on the thick bread-roll you get into the sub, hero or hoagie debate. :D

dunkman wrote:
    aye, ye cannae beat a jammie piece!! :thumbup:

turns out i've lost 7.5 pounds in 11 days!! weighed myself this morning and was delighted... I'm doing the GI diet with me missus... :thumbup:

GI diet?
    glycemic index?
    or like, soldier?
    and...awesome for you!
    :thumbup:

i've hit 9 down in 18 days.....no 'diet' tho per se....just focused, healthy eating.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• More Special K
    More tuna
    More chicken
    More soup....

And for an added bonus....
    I had some spinach....

"Its just another day"
    Take me piece by piece.....
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Chicken Parmesan for dinner. Yum.

Lunch wasn't great though. I tried a plain wheatbread and cheese sandwich with an apple and some light lemonade. I really felt like the sandwich tasted like cardboard. Ugh. :? I need to find some better bread if I'm going to eat a sandwich without mayonaise or mustard.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    justam wrote:

Lunch wasn't great though. I tried a plain wheatbread and cheese sandwich with an apple and some light lemonade. I really felt like the sandwich tasted like cardboard. Ugh. :? I need to find some better bread if I'm going to eat a sandwich without mayonaise or mustard.

why would you avoid mustard?
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
    mr.pink wrote:
    justam wrote:

i second this.
    i find mustard is THE recommended sandwich condiment whenever i read about healthy/low-cal eating.
    i personally love boar's head horseradish sauce. :thumbup:

btw - i also think you would be better off with a meat in your sandwich rather than just cheese. turkey perhaps? also, depending on how thick you make your sandwiches, you CAN have both. when i have a sandwich, i usually choose 2 slices of turkey breast with one slice of provolone & horseradish sauce (very little) on whole wheat bread (i now LOVE the arnold multigrain deliflats....yummy and only 100 cal).

me, holding steady...things are good.
    today, pizza friday...yay.....so all other meals are especially light. tonight, spicy tilapia with yellow squash and scallions. yum. i hope i do as well this weekend as last. last weekend i ate well, but had some truly yummy/indulgent dinners, and yea...a bottle of the wine :)....and still managed to lose 1.5 pounds from friday to monday. here's hoping for a repeat! :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

mr.pink wrote:
    justam wrote:

I wasn't trying to avoid it, I usually use it but I was trying a sandwich with toasted bread and cheese melted in the broiler.

(My son likes these in his school lunch so I thought I'd just make two.)

It wasn't what I expected. :shock:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    mr.pink wrote:
    justam wrote:

I wasn't trying to avoid it, I usually use it but I was trying a sandwich with toasted bread and cheese melted in the broiler.

(My son likes these in his school lunch so I thought I'd just make two.)

It wasn't what I expected. :shock:

mmmm...HOT sandwich, grilled cheese....YUMMM.
    yea, just not the same under the broiler. sooo much better in the fry pan with smart balance, and that's still not terrible to do. good stuff!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I still haven't gotten used to eating butter substitutes.
    I guess I should grow up and try 'em. :geek:
    We buy Olivio for my son and husband.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    I still haven't gotten used to eating butter substitutes.
    I guess I should grow up and try 'em. :geek:
    We buy Olivio for my son and husband.

have you tried smart balance?
    it truly is awesome. love it, and actually, pretty healthy.
    also, in stick form, smart balance comes in a 50/50 form mixed with butter. i prefer straight up smart balance actually, but my husband uses the 50/50 mix when he makes shrimp scampi.

we like to buy the smart balance omega-3s spread
    http://www.smartbalance.com/OmegaFamily.aspx

their microwave popcorn is pretty tasty too. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Hmm.
    That's looks interesting. :geek:
    Thanks. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    hmmmmm....this sounds good:

A is for Alcohol
    You booze, you lose: A daily serving of hooch may be better for keeping off weight than abstaining. Alcohol may increase leptin, a hormone that curbs your appetite for sweets. To get the perks with minimal calories, order a glass of sauvignon blanc (119 calories per 5 ounces). See WH's Top Wine Recommendations.

tho it's also said that your body will burn alcohol before fat, so it can slow your progress, but sure....1 drink a day, not bad. ;) thus far, i find my 2-5 glasses of wine a weekend is working for me, so i'm sticking to it. 8-)

also...

B is for Buddies
    Researchers at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine compared solo dieters to teams of dieters. After 10 months, the latter were likelier to have maintained their loss (66 percent versus 24 percent). Find a bud 24/7 at weightlossbuddy.com.

so what we're doing right here on this thread...:thumbup:

edit - i also believe in this:

J is for Journal
    If you write down everything you eat, research has shown, you can cut your intake by 500 to 1,000 calories a day. And you'll keep the weight off: Food journaling is one of the successful behaviors used by people in the National Weight Control Registry, a list of dieters who have maintained a loss of 30 pounds or more for at least one year.

the one and only time i ever dieted in my life, i did this. lost 35 pounds and was my normal, skiiny self again. of course, i didn't stick with it :? so no more 'diet' for me, but i DO find the food journal VERY informative and motivating...i also record my daily/weekly weight in it, and plan on putting monthly body measurements too. perhaps eventually record my regular exercise. for now, just food/weight is good. :)

if you want to see this whole A to Z:
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-l ... ss-secrets

this is pretty interesting too:
    http://www.realsimple.com/health/everyd ... index.html
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Up and down kind of week, will have to wait and see on monday (weigh in day for me) :)
    Showing physical signs of losing weight, put a bra on that I bought just after christmas in the sale. I was falling over the top of it then, it fits now :D Hopefully that doesn't mean that I'm going to be the same size everywhere else and just have smaller boobs :x
  • I have a gynormous turkey breasticle in the oven....

I have a feeling this will be lunch and dinner for the next 5-7 days............
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    They say its bad to loose more than 5 lbs a month, but I don't buy it. I have a crazy metabolism. I dropped 10 lbs this past month just by cutting out a few hundred extra calories a day.. two eggs instead of three, no fries with my burger, pasta instead of pizza.. and I didn't even make a resolution. Just wanted to eat a little healthier... Thank god for genetics. 8-)
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    I have a gynormous turkey breasticle in the oven....

I have a feeling this will be lunch and dinner for the next 5-7 days............

Sounds scrumptious. Love turkey, and never, ever get tired of it.

It's the mashed potatoes and dressing that get me in trouble.
    Nice shirt.
  • I have a gynormous turkey breasticle in the oven....

Sounds scrumptious. Love turkey, and never, ever get tired of it.

It's the mashed potatoes and dressing that get me in trouble.
    Tell me about it...

Was just looking at a stuffing recipe.....

1/2 stick of butter??? hehehehehe

Oh well...No stuffing for me....

I may have to have a helping of potatoes though.....Since Kathy looks like she is about to cook the entire 10# bag of potatoes....hehehehehehehehe