The 2011 New Year Diet Resolution Thread

Comments

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    well, holding steady with my 5 pound loss. so that's sumthin' i guess. was hoping for a bit more improvement, but c'est la vie. still damn good since i began monday, have to focus on that. ate exactly as outlined earlier yesterday.

today...
    breakfast
    kashi go lean crunch with skim milk

snack
    decaf black iced coffee + 1 truvia
    clementine

lunch
    chicken soup
    2 celery stalks with 2 tablespoons chipolte pepper hummus
    1/4 cup wasabi almonds
    1/2 cup raspberries/blueberries
    pepperjack cheese stick
    water

snack
    clementine

dinner
    whole grain penne pasta
    italian hot sausage
    hubby's homemade arrabiatta sauce
    iced white tea

hope to keep it at that.
    :)

the weekends are when i usually traverse faaaarrrrrr off the reservation, so this being my first weekend, i am going to try to be especially vigilant. *fingers crossed*
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Have a good weekend d2d. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    edited January 2010
    claire - you have to allow yourself indulgences, plan for em....that's LIFE. if you don't, if you just deprive....sure, you'll lose weight, but you'll gain it right back. you must find a balance that you can live with so you can keep the weight off

Yeah I know, I just keep beating myself up about it - someones birthday at work today, so had a small piece of chocolate cake - it was heaven!!

15/01

2 normal coffees + one diet sugar (tired today)
    Water
    Weetabix minis & semi skimmed milk
    Piece of chocolate cake (small)
    1 slices of seedy bread with marmite and low fat cheese (toasted)
    Fresh orange x 2
    Weetabix minis & skimmed milk
    Weight watchers Nacho's 70 something calories
    Apple

Exercise = 1/2 mile walk with friends dog this am, 3 mile walk with friends dog this pm

Going out to eat twice tommorrow, lunchtime and dinner time. Will try not to overdo it.

Have a good weekend, D2D you will be fine :D
    Post edited by Claireack on
    claire - do you plan your meals?
    i find that helps. a LOT.
    i mean, my breakfast i don't have to plan, as it is usually 1 of 2 things, but my lunch/snacks i have to plan since i bring it in daily to consume at work....and i really, really try to STICK to just what i bring in. we have vending machines, we have people always bringing in crap, etc....but i try to focus on MY goals, and i do try to think long-term over instant gratification. i am big for being instantly gratified, so it's a work in progress :P...but seriously, if you give yourself the 15 seconds to just think before you dive in, it helps. honest. as to dinner, it must be planned as i don't do the cooking, and hubby is home 2 hours before me, things need to be taken out of the freezer, etc. again, it helps. usually after we eat dinner, we think what we want the next night. then, afterwards, pop out of the freezer whatever, if anything, needs to defrost, and then i make up my lunch for the next day....then.....relax. :) granted it's only 5 days now, but again...i really, truly think it helps to stay on track.

also, i make sure i have good snacks in the house, and have been trying to steer hubby clear of purchasing major temptations for me. there are a lot of snacks that he likes that i don't, or at the very least aren't as tempting as others i love. it helps just not having that shit in the house. i DO have a lot of wine in the house, just telling me 'drink me! drink me!' :D but i promised myself i would not have any until 02.14....and i plan on sticking with it.

one more thing, do you have specific goals/timeframes? or are you more vague? i think having a major long-term goal with an end date, and then smaller goals with end dates....also helps. obviously, need to be realistic goals. or slightly lofty, but not too lofty so you don't feel disappointed. :)

and thanks claire and justam for the weekend encouragement. it would be awesome to actually lose weight over a weekend, for once :)...or at the very least, not gain! THAT would be an accomplishment in and of itself.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Well ideally I'd like to loose a stone by June, usually have low cal/healthy snacks in the cupboard but last weekend shopped at our local supermarket, which unfortunately burnt down before christmas, it's currently operating out a large tent like structure, so it's a bit limited. I'm going to a bigger supermarket on Monday after work so hopefully will be able to stock up on a few things.

I'm crap at planning meals, I really should focus more on it. I tend to eat what I feel like from the choice in the cupboard on that day. It often means, that I can't eat what I fancy because we don't have it. Maybe I'll plan a weeks food in advance, that's probably a good idea. I'm not a very organised person, so may struggle a little.

:D
    Claireack wrote:
    Well ideally I'd like to loose a stone by June, usually have low cal/healthy snacks in the cupboard but last weekend shopped at our local supermarket, which unfortunately burnt down before christmas, it's currently operating out a large tent like structure, so it's a bit limited. I'm going to a bigger supermarket on Monday after work so hopefully will be able to stock up on a few things.

I'm crap at planning meals, I really should focus more on it. I tend to eat what I feel like from the choice in the cupboard on that day. It often means, that I can't eat what I fancy because we don't have it. Maybe I'll plan a weeks food in advance, that's probably a good idea. I'm not a very organised person, so may struggle a little.

:D

firstly, yikes!

secondly, yea...planning is good.
    and hey, we don't plan out for the week in detail. we check what we've got at home, in the freezer, than do just a rough sketch of planning...our go-to meals, what we might want to eat that week, etc. like this past week, decided what to eat each day the night before. also planned it around consuming the fresh veggies early in the week, make sure they don't spoil, etc. then towards the end of the week, the easier stuff. my breakfasts/lunches vary some, but not by much as you can see....so i just make sure i have my basics on hand, and always am sure to stock up on my lunch fresh produce needed. once you start, it really isn't difficult. also, i find with planning for the next day, keeps me on target better than just eating what i feel like. we're also working on some financial goals, so it helps us stay out of restaurants...good for our wallet and my waistline. you just need to commit yourself (at least somewhat) to your goals. i am a very organized person :P ...but i don't think it's necessary to do much organizing to plan meals somewhat. or even if you want to decide the day of, fine....but just plan healthy! and yes....avoid the 'temptations' as much as possible, by allowing/planning for some snacks/rewards., rather than just indulging willy-nilly, ya know? if you plan on it, then you won't feel like you're depriving yourself when you forgo the chocolate cake a colleague brings in, or at least, not as much...;)

but sure....start with thinking
    what do you like to eat
    what fits within your goals
    than make a shopping list around some staple foods that fit both criteria
    then plan your food consumption for each day, the day before...the day of...doesn't matter. just being mindful of it is what matters.

btw - what's a stone?
    i used to know, is it about 13 pounds?
    if you only want to lose a stone - lucky you!
    and you're giving yourself until june?
    well then, you really don't have to do much 'work'.....you've got 20 weeks for 13 pounds.....less than a pound of loss a week, not bad at all and should be doable with a minimal amount of sacrifice.

nevermind, gotta love google:
    http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/un ... ne.en.html
    1 stone = 14 pounds

so still, not bad at all for you!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    Its entirely possible to change your tastes. I did it this last year. After learning how excess fats would hinder my ability to gain muscle and weight, I really dove into a carb-protein based diet with just enough healthy omega-3s. I'm sure my cardio-vascular thanks me. I never thought I'd not crave pizza or hamburgers! Another plus is not wanting to go out because I can make the food I enjoy the most at home. Except carne asada tacos, but those are healthy.
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
    Sat 16/01

Decaff coffee with diet sugar & skimmed milk x 4
    Water

Potato skin with guacamole, beans & cheese (small portion)
    Garlic bread (small portion)
    Chips (about 4)
    Ginger latte x 2
    Spring roll, noodles & bean sprouts, egg foo young, crispy seaweed, garlic rice (small portion of each, take-away)
    5 After eight mints
    4 bottles of cider
    1 big glass of Cheeky Vimpto

Exercise Dog walking 1st thing (not too far though) & early evening

D2D - went to the health food shop today and asked about Stevia, apparently it is banned over here and has been for a few years. So I got Xylitol which the woman in there said was a natural sweetner and hopefully won't taste like the disgusting aspartame stuff I've been using so far :sick: . It did say on the packet though that if you eat too much you may have to visit the toilet rather rapidly (to put it politely), will give it a go though.
    edited January 2010
    17/01

Decaff coffee + diet sugar & skimmed milk x 5
    Orange juice
    Water
    Options hot chocolate x 1
    Weetabix minis
    1 slice of toast with beans
    2 bowls of muesli type cereal
    2 slices toast

Exercise; walk with friends dog approx 4 miles
    YAY!
    made it thru the weekend, didn't gain!
    :thumbup:

i did, however, drink 2 glasses of wine on friday. :oops: came home, hubby already had the bottle open...thought i was only drinking on the weekends. he already had it open, how could i say no? ;) however, i made it clear, no more wine until 02.14!

also was looking into online food journals - free of course - and what a pain in the arse. i might as well just do it in a program like excel or word. haha. i don't actually want to count every calorie, make it even more work than it is. too bad. for now, i'm just going to keep using this thread. :)

so for the weekend:

saturday
    1 grapefruit
    iced decaf coffee + skim milk + 1 truvia

clementine
    1/4 cup wasabi almonds

iced white tea
    6 BBQ wings
    corn on the cob/smart balance spread/S&P

sunday
    8 oz. oj
    iced decaf coffee + skim milk + 1 truvia
    bacon, 1 egg and cheddar on an whole grain english muffin

15 blue corn chips + salsa
    carrot & celery with non-fat greek yogurt dip

2 diet cokes
    homemade pizza bagel - mozzarella & sauce
    2 small piece of licorice

today

iced decaf coffee with skim milk, 1 truvia

clementine
    banana
    iced decaf coffee black with 1 truvia

cup mixed baby greens with proscuitto, fresh mozzarella, black olives, roasted red pepper & balsamic vinegar
    1/2 cup raspberries/blueberries
    1/4 cup almonds

clementine

iced white tea
    shrimp stir-fry with snowpeas, carrots, broccoli, scallions, red peppers
    jasmine rice

1 ghirardelli dark chocolate or 100 calorie microwave popcorn

so week 1 complete, down 5 pounds - hope to make more progress this week. :)

btw claire - stevia...banned?! :shock: do you know wtf for?
    makes me wonder...
    here, it's considered 100% natural and healthy/safe, so idk.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Well, I decided the first things I had to do was keep track of what I was eating and no more wine while I cook dinner. :?

I noticed that I'm not too good about avoiding things like tortilla chips, bagels, cheese... :geek:

But, I'm getting started! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    Well, I decided the first things I had to do was keep track of what I was eating and no more wine while I cook dinner. :?

I noticed that I'm not too good about avoiding things like tortilla chips, bagels, cheese... :geek:

But, I'm getting started! :)

no need to avoid cheese, at all. cheese can actually aide weight-loss, and of course, great calcium sourse, as well as a decent protein/fat.
    just watch portions!

even tortilla chips, in moderation, can be ok. but sure, an occasional indulgence. bagels....mmmmmmmm bagels :mrgreen: again, not great, but occasionally, ok especially if you go with whole wheat. i ate a bagel yesterday, whole wheat everything, with grated mozzarella and homemade tomato sauce. 8-)

yay for getting started!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

i created an excel spreadsheet for a food log/diary. :oops:

:mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

no need to avoid cheese, at all. cheese can actually aide weight-loss, and of course, great calcium sourse, as well as a decent protein/fat.
    just watch portions!

even tortilla chips, in moderation, can be ok. but sure, an occasional indulgence. bagels....mmmmmmmm bagels :mrgreen: again, not great, but occasionally, ok especially if you go with whole wheat. i ate a bagel yesterday, whole wheat everything, with grated mozzarella and homemade tomato sauce. 8-)

yay for getting started!
    :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    LOST 1 POUND 14 OUNCES

Know it's not a vast amount but HOORAY!!

Mon 18/01

Decaff coffee with healthy diet sugar & skimmed milk x 6
    Orange juice
    Water

Weetabix
    Cheese Salad sandwich
    2 x wraps with mozarella & tomato
    Potato salad
    4 small squares dark chocolate

Rushing around rather a lot today so didn't have time to eat much.
    btw claire - stevia...banned?! do you know wtf for?

The woman in the shop said there was concerns that it had some of the negative health effects that artificial sweetners have. I didn't quite understand that really artificial sweetners are freely available. I wasn't sure how to post the link but here is what the Food Standards Agency says;

Stevia and Stevioside
    Wednesday 27 March 2002

Stevioside is a high intensity sweetener, 250-300 times sweeter than sucrose.

It is isolated and purified from the leaves of the Stevia plant (Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni), where it is present at levels up to 13%, and has been used for a number of years as a sweetener in South America, Asia, Japan and China.

As a result of the outcome of safety assessments which have been carried out Stevia and stevioside are not permitted for sale as food or food ingredients in the UK or elsewhere within the EU.

Back to top Safety EvaluationsSweeteners and other food additives are tightly regulated within the European Union (EU) and may only be used once their safety has been rigorously assessed.

The EC Scientific Committee on Food (SCF) is an independent committee that advises the European Commission on questions concerning consumer health and food safety, in particular relating to toxicology and food hygiene.

The SCF identified safety problems with stevioside and recently rejected applications to market the plant and its products as sweeteners and as novel foods within the European Union.

Stevioside was first considered by the SCF for approval for use as a sweetener within the EU in 1985 and the review was updated in 1989.

On both occasions the Committee raised several questions of concern and concluded that, based on the submitted documentation, it could not accept its use. Extracts from Stevia rebaudiana leaves were also considered as toxicologically not acceptable.

A further application for approval of stevioside was received by the European Commission in 1998 and again referred to the SCF.

The data considered by the Committee indicated that the extract has the potential to produce adverse effects in the male reproductive system that could affect fertility and that a metabolite produced by the human gut microflora, steviol, is genotoxic (ie. damages DNA).

The Committee concluded that stevioside was not acceptable as a sweetener.

In 1998 a request was made for Stevia (the plants and dried leaves of Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni) to be marketed as a novel food under the EU novel foods legislation (Regulation 258/97(EC)).

The application was initially evaluated by the Belgian Authorities who recommended that the product should not be approved.

The product was then considered in the UK by the Advisory Committee on Novel Foods and Processes (ACNFP) as part of the approval process for novel foods.

The ACNFP agreed with the opinion of the Belgian Authorities and recommended that the product should not be approved due to lack of information supporting its safety, a view that was shared by a number of other Member States. The application was subsequently referred to the SCF.

The SCF concluded in June 1999 that the information submitted on the plant products was insufficient with regard to specification and standardisation of the commercial product and contained no safety studies.

There was no satisfactory data to support the safe use of these products as ingredients in food or as sucrose substitutes.

In December 1999 the Joint MAFF/DH Food Safety and Standards Group wrote to various companies known to be trading in Stevia products, informing them of the SCF's opinion and stating that Stevia should not be offered for sale as a food or food ingredient in the UK.

A copy of the SCF's opinion on Stevia as a sweetener and its opinion on Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni plants and leaves is available at the link below.

Click here to view the letter setting out the ACNFP's views

Alternatively, copies can be obtained by post from the Food Standards Agency at

Food Standards Agency
    Chemical Safety and Toxicology Division,
    Room 515B,
    Aviation House,
    125 Kingsway,
    London WC2B 6NH

Telephone: 020 7276 8581
    Fax: 020 7276 8514
    Email: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:foodadditives@foodstandards.gsi.gov.uk">foodadditives@foodstandards.gsi.gov.uk</a><!-- e -->

Back to top Background to relevant UK legislationIn the UK there are 3 areas of legislation potentially relevant to the sale of stevia and stevioside – these are the general provisions of the Food Safety Act, regulations relating to the sale of novel foods and those relating to the sale of sweeteners.

Novel foods and sweeteners are both harmonised areas within the EU and the controls within the UK implement European legislation.

In the UK all food sold for consumption is subject to the general provisions of The Food Safety Act, 1990.

Whilst this Act makes no specific reference to Stevia or any other vegetable or plant extracts, it makes it an offence to sell or possess for sale food which is injurious to health.

This applies not only to retail sale but throughout the food chain. It would therefore be an offence to use extracts of Stevia or Stevia plants and leaves as food or food ingredients (or to offer them for sale) if it were to render the product injurious to health.

Any food products which were not used for human consumption to a significant degree within the European Community before 15 May 1997 are considered to be novel foods and are therefore subject to approval under EC Directive 258/97 on Novel Foods and Novel Food Ingredients.

An opinion of the SCF on Stevia plants and leaves has meant that approval under this Regulation has not been granted at the present time.

Any new application to market Stevia or stevioside as a food or food ingredient would have to include safety studies that sufficiently addressed any concerns about the potential toxicological effects caused by them.

Any food additive used or intended to be used to impart a sweet taste to food is subject to the provisions of the Sweeteners in Food Regulations 1995.

These regulations set out a list of permitted sweeteners. Again, following an opinion issued by the SCF neither Stevia (Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni), Stevia extracts or stevioside are permitted.

To be honest it doesn't really specify exactly why??
    yikes...

"The data considered by the Committee indicated that the extract has the potential to produce adverse effects in the male reproductive system that could affect fertility and that a metabolite produced by the human gut microflora, steviol, is genotoxic (ie. damages DNA)."

not too concerned with male fertility :D...but damages DNA? hmmmm.
    well, i'm sticking with it for now. granted aspartame is still sold here - and in the UK? - and there's all sorts of bad ju-ju associated....but i just think stevia being natural is better than aspartame. also, if i use 1-2 packets a day, it's a lot....so i think i'm ok.

and....congrats on the weight loss!
    forward progress is great!

and now that i have my own excel food diary, i will no longer bore this thread with my food consumption. :P i'll only post progress, thoughts, comments on other posts, etc.

where the hell is BD?
    not weighing in much!
    eh well...perhaps he's one of the lucky ones, has today off....b/c it IS monday, should be having our weekly weigh-in!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

BD was away skiing for the weekend, so he may have burned off a few pounds!

Aspartame is still available here, along with lots of others.
    Claireack wrote:
    BD was away skiing for the weekend, so he may have burned off a few pounds!

Aspartame is still available here, along with lots of others.

aha - lucky, lucky!

and yes, that's what i thought. so aspartame is ok, but not stevia?! ouch.
    eh well.

i'm hoping i start to make some new progress this week. i've held my 5 pound weight loss about 5 days now (well went up a .5 and then back down) so i'm looking towards the next 5. :) i'd love 2.5 this week, 2.5 next. hit my goal of 10 pounds a month. gotta stay focused and *fingers crossed*.... :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

YAY!
    another 1/2 pound, gone!
    down 5.5 pounds, day 9. :)
    ate exactly as outlined earlier yesterday - tho + a tiny mini cupcake (see cupcake thread ;)).
    plan on eating just as well today, tho sans cupcake. :mrgreen:
    now that i have my excel log, won't bore with details here.

hope i reach my january goal - 4.5 more pounds to go!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

edited January 2010
    Good on you D2D!!!

Today

Decaff coffee with diet sugar and skimmed milk x 4
    Water

4 Ryvita with low fat cream cheese (not as low fat as last week but lower than normal)
    Blueberry Yoghurt
    Apple

Crunchie :oops: Bit of a slip

2 wraps with cheese and tomato & potato salad (really liked it the day before so had it again)
    Strawbery mousse
    Umpteen salt and vinegar rice cakes (took whole packet through to living room instead of just a couple and forgot to stop eating :oops: )
    Small piece of low fat cheese.
  • Been good except for last night's B-day dinner for my Mrs. Pizzza MMMMM

But otherwise been a good boy.

Special K this am
    Turkey breast for lunch at 1
    Lean Cuisine for dinner

Before yesterday I was down 7.5 lbs. We shall see tomorrow.
    How is the diet bread treating you???
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Been good except for last night's B-day dinner for my Mrs. Pizzza MMMMM

Special K this am
    Lean Cuisine for dinner

Because of you, and a few others here....

I went out yesterday and purchased a box of Special K...

I havent eaten cold cereal in decades....(maybe 5 bowls in the last 20 years)
    I didnt like cold cereal as a kid.....

But this morning I had a cup of Special K, with a cup of skim milk, and a sliced banana.....

It wasnt near as horrible as I thought it was going to be.....hehehehehehe
    Been good except for last night's B-day dinner for my Mrs. Pizzza MMMMM

Special K this am
    Lean Cuisine for dinner

Because of you, and a few others here....

I went out yesterday and purchased a box of Special K...

I havent eaten cold cereal in decades....(maybe 5 bowls in the last 20 years)
    I didnt like cold cereal as a kid.....

But this morning I had a cup of Special K, with a cup of skim milk, and a sliced banana.....

It wasnt near as horrible as I thought it was going to be.....hehehehehehe

i LOVE cereal!
    i love my kashi go lean crunch, and i actually prefer skim milk. it's all what you grow accustomed to, and then eventually prefer.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• WTF is kashi?????

Wait a second....
    I dont want to know what kashi is.....

I have made it 44 years without eating kashi....
    It is safe to say I will Die without ever eating kashi...........hehehehe
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    i actually measured cottage cheese last night

how sad is that?!?
    haha

and i have walked for 40 minutes 5 out of the last 7 days
    it's a start. the nicer weather has been a real motivator.
    Nice shirt.
  • i actually measured cottage cheese last night

how sad is that?!?
    haha

I have laid off the cottage cheese for 3 weeks....

Maybe start up again, with that crap, in the springtime.....hehehehehe
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635

how sad is that?!?
    haha

I have laid off the cottage cheese for 3 weeks....

Maybe start up again, with that crap, in the springtime.....hehehehehe

oh it's only a matter of time until i burn myself out on it.
    i do the same with yogurt.

crap haha

but it's good for you crap! right?
    Nice shirt.
    WTF is kashi?????

Wait a second....

kashi is simply a brand.

http://kashi.com/products/golean_crunch
    yummmmmmyyyyy!!!

how sad is that?!?
    haha

i hate, hate, hate cottage cheese. ugh. consistency issues there. bleh.
    and hey, i measure a LOT of different foods, it helps! once i get a good visual after awhile, i stop.

enjoy your nice weather!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    WTF is kashi?????

Wait a second....

go outside...pick up some dirt, sticks and leaves and pour milk on it

that's kashi :sick:
  • norm wrote:
    WTF is kashi?????

Wait a second....

go outside...pick up some dirt, sticks and leaves and pour milk on it

that's kashi :sick:
    That is exactly what I figured it was......