The 2011 New Year Diet Resolution Thread

Comments

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Was a really bad boy last night and feeling it. Italian dinner in the city and I did not find a pasta I didn't like
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Thanks VDB & Sian, both helpful comments, will try and stay optimistic and keep at it. :D
  • I havent "cheated" all week...

Lots of soup
    veggies
    tuna fish....( I am also the proud owner of a loaf of "diet bread")

I need to find something to snack on....
    Maybe I will buy some of those flavored rice cake thingies....Maybe...hehehhe

I refuse to bring carrot sticks, and celery to work...I just fucking refuse...

But I need to find something to snack on....Cuz once the tuna fish and soup is gone.....I spend the next 3-4 hours at work, ready to eat the fucking steering wheel........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Maybe I will buy some of those flavored rice cake thingies

Dried fruit?? I also quite like those flavoured rice cake things. The caramel ones (over here) are the lowest in fat and taste a bit popcorny .... yum
  • Claireack wrote:
    Maybe I will buy some of those flavored rice cake thingies

Dried fruit?? I also quite like those flavoured rice cake things. The caramel ones (over here) are the lowest in fat and taste a bit popcorny .... yum
    I like the rice cake thingies too.....Havent had one in quite a while....But I like them....
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    I havent "cheated" all week...

Lots of soup
    veggies

But I need to find something to snack on....Cuz once the tuna fish and soup is gone.....I spend the next 3-4 hours at work, ready to eat the fucking steering wheel........

i find that anything with protien helps a lot, like nuts or peanut butter.
    and those taste much better than a steering wheel haha
    Nice shirt.
  • I havent "cheated" all week...

Lots of soup
    veggies

Peanut butter blows...

I didnt eat it when I was 6 years old...
    Im not eating it now....

hehehehehe

Fuck peanut butter.......
    I havent "cheated" all week...

Lots of soup
    veggies

Peanut butter blows...

Im not eating it now....

hehehehehe

it's all a matter of taste. love it, and eat it almost every day.

peanut butter rules!

hehehehe
    Nice shirt.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Peanut butter blows...

Im not eating it now....

hehehehehe

:shock: :shock:
  • norm wrote:
    Peanut butter blows...

Im not eating it now....

hehehehehe

:shock: :shock:
    And I am not going to have a glass of Kool-Aid either.....

hehehehehehe
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    firstly, i am IN.
    i am usually not much of a joiner, but fuck knows where my motivation has gone, so i will try anything to make me stick with it. i know EXACTLY what i should do, eat, exercise, etc....i read a TON of health and nutrition articles regularly...blah blah blah.....i just need to DO IT.

i will start monday. :)

i need to lose weight.
    i won't say how much ;)....but enough. for my own personal vanity, but more importantly for my health and comfort. i cannot believe i had lost it all 5 years ago!...and gained it all back + 10 pounds. gggggrrrrrrrrr. i used to be one of those naturally thin people, so having to work to get back there kills me. :evil: such is life eh? getting old is a bitch. :x :evil: :x

:mrgreen:

i agree!
    protein is the way to go!
    nuts are awesome!
    my one big recommendation, as with all things....PORTION CONTROL.

people at work think i eat so ridiculously healthy (and i do at work) and i have my little lunch box and a million of those gladware plastic containers in a million sizes. :D when i first started trying to be healthy and eating healthy portions, i actually wound count out nuts, chips, whatever...measure half cup of cereal, etc....just so i could finally get a good visual of what is a "serving" and work from there. it's VERY helpful to work on visualizing healthy servings. i still measure some things - such as spaghetti - but overall, can now eyeball most of it.

my typical workday menu:

breakfast
    either kashi go lean cereal with skim milk or fat-free greek yogurt with fresh blueberries

morning snack at work
    decaf iced coffee with truvia
    small banana
    clementine

lunch
    soup or salad
    pepperjack cheesestick
    almonds or walnuts
    1 cup blueberries and raspberries
    clementine

afternoon snack
    kashi cherry dark chocolate granola bar, red grapes or a clementine

dinner
    varies wildly, whatever hubby is cooking...but when we're being 'good' he cooks VERY healthy, yummy food

i really, really, really have to cut out the wine for a while :oops: i've gotten horribly outta hand with the drinking. i want to get back to drinking water and iced green tea as my go-to beverages (green tea is supposed to be good for weight loss and is quite tasty) and i must cut out the late-night snacking, tho i find one square of really dark chocolate is an excellent treat, good for you, and perfect portion control. i also need to cut back on the fruit and up the veggies. my BIG problem is the weekends. i need to stick to 'healthy' at least 6 days a week, and even on that 7th day - for now anyway, be vigilant. i know i have to allow myself to enjoy and have treats, but for the last year i just go off the rails on weekends and i need to stop that. i do awesome all week, only to regain all my progress. so yea, i've 'maintained' my fatass for about 2 years now. :lol: so how i live now would work great once i'm where i want to be, but i'm kinda ruining myself for actually reaching my goals the way i'm going about it now...so yea.....gotta set that straight.

BD...a couple of suggestions if i may?
    you've got to find healthy food you LOVE to eat. yea, i know....there will always be some verboten foods that can only be occasional treats and it SUCKS, but if you try and get creative, there really are a lot of yummy, yummy foods out there that are great for you....experiement! oh, and forget the diet bread! you want something AWESOME and low-cal for your lunch sandwich? try arnold's multigrain deli rounds. they are delish and good source of fiber, AND low-cal. give em a go and let me know what you think. also, forget the 100 cal snack packs, you are throwing away a TON of $$$ for no reason. if you';ve had em awhile, you should be able to figure out your own 100 cal snack packs, but forget the packaging. count out your treats, measure em, whatever you have to do. read and utilize the 'serving side' info on foods. get yourself some gladware, whatever.....measure em out, pack em up and stick to it.

claire....sian gave you some awesome tips.
    i also would suggest, cut out the sugar in your coffee? not doing your health any help with all that sugar....8 cups of sugar + 1 sugar in each? that's a lot of both. have you tried stevia? it'ds a 'different' taste....but it IS sweet, it's all natural, and no sugar rushes/crashes, which are so bad for you in general, but also the enemy of weight loss.

apologies if i sound preachy :mrgreen: ...don't mean to at all. just as i said, i read a LOT on this stuff, i really find it so fascinating and interesting (maybe i should've become a nutrionist? :oops: haha) now if i can only practice what i preach, i'd be golden.... 8-)

oh, in regards to exercise...i know i should do more, a LOT more....but i'm just working on diet for the time being. perhaps when i am a bit thinner i will feel more motivated. :) i DO walk about 45 minutes, total, to/from work 5x a week, so it is a good amount of walking/exercise, but i know eventually i have to step it up to firm up my old ass. :lol: i've tried, but it just sucks. with my commute i am outta the house at 8:05 am and home by 7:05 pm. so yea...not a lot of my own time. we'll see how it all goes with food/control first.

oh and norm.....congrats!
    :thumbup:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

BD...a couple of suggestions if i may?
    you've got to find healthy food you LOVE to eat. yea, i know....there will always be some verboten foods that can only be occasional treats and it SUCKS, but if you try and get creative, there really are a lot of yummy, yummy foods out there that are great for you....experiement! oh, and forget the diet bread! you want something AWESOME and low-cal for your lunch sandwich? try arnold's multigrain deli rounds. they are delish and good source of fiber, AND low-cal. give em a go and let me know what you think. also, forget the 100 cal snack packs, you are throwing away a TON of $$$ for no reason. if you';ve had em awhile, you should be able to figure out your own 100 cal snack packs, but forget the packaging. count out your treats, measure em, whatever you have to do. read and utilize the 'serving side' info on foods. get yourself some gladware, whatever.....measure em out, pack em up and stick to it.
    Thanks!
    Good call on the snack packs... I am finishing off what the Mrs. bought and buying the big bag and sorting it...
    Also I have moved on to a lot of fruits and veggies so it's better. I have to get the Mrs. from making dinners out on weekdays. I like to save my big meals for after my weigh in...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • BD...a couple of suggestions if i may?
    Thanks!
    Good call on the snack packs... I am finishing off what the Mrs. bought and buying the big bag and sorting it...
    Also I have moved on to a lot of fruits and veggies so it's better. I have to get the Mrs. from making dinners out on weekdays. I like to save my big meals for after my weigh in...
    A couple of you have mentioned how much weight you have already lost.....cool!!!

Myself???
    I am not getting on a scale for 1-2 months.....

Fuck it...
    Lets see what happens in 6-8 weeks.........
    Thanks!

i find it sucks at first to cut out the junk, but travisthesky is right. i am not an all go-organic person - tho i'd love to be - but i DO know when i stick to healthy eating AND minimal packaged foods, i FEEL awesome, and i think i look better too, especially my skin. you get that kind of healthy glow. i think so anyway. ;)

and food balance is so important. protein, healthy fats, good carbs. it's so easy on paper, hahahaha....
    i wish i really enjoyed more protein foods, i am not a big meat eater nor a huge fan of beans, etc. i like enough for dinner foods, especially shrimp and salmon, the usual chicken, pork chop, etc....but for lunch i have more difficulty. gotta get hubby to cook me up a few chicken breasts to top salads b/c i don't like to eat too much deli meat....tho turkey, provolone with horseradish sauce(pretty lowcal and awesome btw) on the delirounds rocks. 8-)

i'd like to reach my goal weight, or at least within 10 pounds of it - by my hubby's bday (june 7th) or our 18th wedding anniversary (june 20th)
    good luck to us all!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

maintaining the healthy eating, and keeping the weight off is by far my biggest struggle.

portion control is essential.

who eats a half a cup of Anything?
    Nice shirt.
    maintaining the healthy eating, and keeping the weight off is by far my biggest struggle.

portion control is essential.

who eats a half a cup of Anything?

:lol:
    i do now!

i'm tellin' ya....the gladware is a godsend, and even at home i have many differently sized small bowls, makes it FAR easier for me to control my portions of.....everything really. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

D2D - yes I definately need to do something about the sugar in my coffee, will have a look in the supermarket. :D

But .....

I have a confession to make ....

Tonight, went to see a movie and I had a hot chocolate and 1/2 a large bag of Minstrels :cry:

I am ashamed of myself :(
    Sat 09/10

5 cups of decaff with 1 sugar skimmed milk
    Cranberry Wheats
    2 slices of toast with low fat spread
    2 low fat cereal bars
    Cranberry wheats
    1/2 garlic bagette

Not a good day, seem to have avoided fruit and veg completely today :oops:

Exercise; 2 mile walk, although the first 1/4 mile was probably nearer a run
    Sun 10/10

decaff coffee with 1 pretend sugar + skimmed milk x4
    Cranberry wheats
    2 wraps with tomato & a small sprinkling of low fat mozarella
    Leek & Potato soup & slice of seeded batch

Exercise; Walk, prob 1 1/2 miles
  • Yesterday I had:

2x bowl Special K (1% milk)
    A portion of coley
    Tomato and herb sauce (fish was cooked in it)
    Peas
    Carrots
    Potatoes and onions layered and then cooked in stock and garlic.

2x Tea (1% milk)
    Glass lemonade
    Water
    2x bottles of beer

I did 1 and a half hours on my stepper and did yoga for about 40 mins.

Today I have:

2 x bowl Special K (1% milk)
    One banana
    One Satsuma
    A bowl of organic tomato and basil soup (dinner)
    One wholemeal batch
    1/2 tube Fruit Pastilles (I got hungry at the hospital and had nothing healthy with me :oops: )

One cup of tea (1% milk)
    500ml bottle sugar free Vimto
    200ml carton Cranberry juice
    Water

I'm at Tai Chi tonight so I won't be exercising when I get home.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    went to the patriots game yesterday so instead of tailgating we went to red robin. burgers, jack and cokes, fries...had a hot chocolate at the game. my reward for a tough week. got on the scale today and hadn't gained a thing. week 2 underway...lots of water, and back to the soup and diet sprites...and carrots.

week 2 is always the hardest...git r done!
    I love to turn you on
    Did ok during the weekend considering I went to 3 movies. Brought snacks with me and drank Diet Coke. Dinner on Saturday was Pizza but kept it in check. No gain or loss over the weekend and learned a valuable lesson about weighing yourself at night vs the morning :shock:

So one week, down 4.5 lbs

Had the Special K and Skim and Banana for Breakfast and brought veggie snacks on all of your advices to avoid the 100 calorie snack packs.

Plus hauled a case of water from home instead of paying for the water at work where two bottles = one case of water.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Did ok during the weekend considering I went to 3 movies. Brought snacks with me and drank Diet Coke. Dinner on Saturday was Pizza but kept it in check. No gain or loss over the weekend and learned a valuable lesson about weighing yourself at night vs the morning :shock:

Had the Special K and Skim and Banana for Breakfast and brought veggie snacks on all of your advices to avoid the 100 calorie snack packs.

Plus hauled a case of water from home instead of paying for the water at work where two bottles = one case of water.

hey do you weigh in in the morning?
    I love to turn you on

Now I do :shock:
    Jumped on the scale last night... VERY FRIGHTENING... a 3 lbs difference... digestion is a wonderful thing :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif

Now I do :shock:
    Jumped on the scale last night... VERY FRIGHTENING... a 3 lbs difference... digestion is a wonderful thing :lol:

makes all the difference!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • More soup...
    Chicken sandwich.....

Ill go back to tuna next week......
    edited January 2010
    Mon 11/01

decaff coffee with diet sugar x 6
    Small carton of orange juice
    Cranberry Wheats
    Veg soup
    Ryvita x 4
    Fat free yoghurt
    Apple
    Salad with 4 slices of quorn, wrap
    Skinny Cow ice lolly 78 calories
    Weight watches nachos 74 calories

Miserable - have put a pound on!! :(

Pissed off so ate a walnut whip 170 calories :oops:
    Post edited by Claireack on
    ALWAYS weigh in in the morning.
    i usually do so around the same time, first thing after i wake up...tho after a pee. ;) tshirt and undies for consistency. soooo, today is day one. weighing in, i have gained 8 pounds since december 1st. :( bummer. then again, i was totally indulgent over the holiday season, so c'est la vie.

today's menu:

breakfast
    non-fat greek yogurt with fresh blueberries

snack
    banana
    clementine
    decaf iced coffee black with one truvia

to come, lunch:
    chicken soup
    almonds
    pepperjack cheesestick
    cup of raspeberries/blueberries

snack
    clementine

dinner
    iced decaf white tea
    salmon with asparagus

hopefully that's it.
    :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I usually try to manage my size with exercise because I don't like to diet.
    However, I am trying to avoid things high in calories these days.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    I usually try to manage my size with exercise because I don't like to diet.
    However, I am trying to avoid things high in calories these days.

i don't like to do either one. :P
    haha.

even w/o wanting to lose weight - which i do want - i just want to develop a healthier eating lifestyle.
    i find altho i love food and drink, it's just easier for me to alter my eating habits than fit in exercise. hopefully in time i will fit in more exercise, but for now i figure....work on the diet first. hopefully when the weather warms up i will be considerably smaller :)...and also just more motivated to be active with the warmer temps and longer sunlight. i have been such a glutton/hedonist for awhile now :oops: that hopefully i'll make some great strides right from the start. i am sure as i lose it will get harder, but if i can make a nice dent to motivate me, would be awesome. i just want to develop a way of life that i can maintain and enjoy...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...