3 Ryvitas with extra light cream cheese
    6 chips
    low fat yoghurt
    Apple
    Small carton orange juice
    Pasta in tomato & basil sauce
    Skinny cow ice lolly 70 something

Exercise 2 mile walk

Eating going a bit funny - think I might be hormonal, not going to beat myself up about it today
    Post edited by Claireack on
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    well, day one went great.....ate exactly as posted except + 100 calorie pack of microwave popcorn as a snack last night. hubby made his own ginger sauce for the salmon last night and it was delish. :) as predicted, since i've been so terrible as of late, first day back to eating 100% healthy, and i've lost 4 pounds. and yes, i know, it's all water weight, whatever....yada, yada.....but none the less makes me happy. as i gained 8 since 12.01 - brutal holiday season - knocking 4 off straight away is nice. hope to knock the next 4-6 off rather quickly too, so i can actually feel like i am making *progress*.

i really, really want to stick with healthy eating, and i want to reach my goal by our anniversary - so i truly hope i can keep myself motivated. i think 'reporting' in this thread may help. :D

thus far today:

breakfast
    kashi go lean crunch cereal with skim milk

snack
    iced decaf coffee black + 1 truvia
    small banana
    clementine

to come, lunch
    1.5 cups mixed baby greens, fresh mozzarella, proscuitto, roasted red peppers & black olives with balsamic vinegar (psyched for this, looked so yum when i got it together last night)
    almonds
    cup raspberries/blueberries
    water

snack
    clementine

dinner
    shrimp veggie stir-fry with jasmine rice
    iced white tea

hopefully, that's it....maybe a small square of ghiradelli extra dark chocolate
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

edited January 2010
    where'd everybody go?
    how's everyone doin', feelin'?

day 2 and i am feeling GREAT. 5.5 pounds down :mrgreen: ....really nice. and i just feel HEALTHY.
    yesterday's meals/snacks went exactly as posted above. ^^^ i am feeling highly motivated (yes i know, only been 2 days :roll: ) and i want to keep myself psyched for it all. i am trying to be excited by all the healthy foods, fresh and yummy....and i am really trying to keep to the water and tea beverages only. i know the weight-loss will not keep up at this pace, so i am also trying to think 'big picture' and long-term, so i don't get let down if the scale doesn't budge a few days, and/or...gasp....i gain a bit back in the process, etc. i know it takes a long while to get where i want to go. so i just am trying to keep in mind my goal date....and that's 21-22 weeks away. :D

hey claire - question for you:
    ever think of adding more protein in your diet?
    i know you are a veggie, but there are plenty of veggie sources for protein. reading your food posts, you seem to be lacking a bit there, and honestly, i find eating protein is THE way to go for weight-loss. just a thought. also, 'fake sugars' actually seem to mess with metabolism and/or do something bad in the body, thus why i suggested stevia, b/c it's all natural, not a sugar substitute or chemical, just a natural herb with it's own sweet qualities.

oh, and today's food plan:

breakfast
    nonfat plain greek yogurt with fresh blueberries

snack
    decaf black iced coffee + 1 truvia
    small banana
    clementine
    kashi dark cherry chocolate granola bar

lunch
    1.5 cups mixed baby greens, fresh mozzarella, proscuitto, roasted red peppers & black olives with balsamic vinegar (it was SO delish yesterday, so psyched for it
    cup blueberries/raspberries
    almonds
    water

snack
    clementine

dinner
    chicken fajitas with mixed bell peppers, onions, guacamole & whole wheat wraps
    iced white tea

snack
    either a small chocolate or couple pretzels or popcorn, or nutthin' perhaps...we shall see...:)
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    edited January 2010
    i know you are a veggie, but there are plenty of veggie sources for protein. reading your food posts, you seem to be lacking a bit there, and honestly, i find eating protein is THE way to go for weight-loss. just a thought. also, 'fake sugars' actually seem to mess with metabolism and/or do something bad in the body, thus why i suggested stevia, b/c it's all natural, not a sugar substitute or chemical, just a natural herb with it's own sweet qualities.

Yes could definately up the protein a bit, when I think protein I think cheese, so I've got some low fat cheese as well as extra light cream cheese. Although am eating quite a bit of quorn. Also going to up the bean intake as well.

I wasn't sure what stevia was, the only sugar alternatives in the supermarket at the weekend were all the low cal ones, the one I got contains aspartame which I'm not keen on using, but there wasn't much alternative. They did sell fructose, would that be any better?? I might have to check out the health food shop.

BTW Well done on your weight loss!!

Wed 13/01

Decaff coffee with diet sugar x 5 with skimmed or semi milk
    Weetabix x 2 with skimmed (1/2 teaspoon of proper sugar)
    4 fruit ryvita with extra light cream cheese
    Forest fruits fat free yoghurt
    Apple
    Small carton of orange juice
    Salad with quorn & mozarella on toast
    Strawberry mousse (108 calories)

Water at various times through the day. :D
    Post edited by Claireack on
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    I'm always worried about those sugar alternatives, especially the aspartame. . Why not just do sugar- but less of it?
    Claireack wrote:

Yes could definately up the protein a bit, when I think protein I think cheese, so I've got some low fat cheese as well as extra light cream cheese. Although am eating quite a bit of quorn. Also going to up the bean intake as well.

I wasn't sure what stevia was, the only sugar alternatives in the supermarket at the weekend were all the low cal ones, the one I got contains aspartame which I'm not keen on using, but there wasn't much alternative. They did sell fructose, would that be any better?? I might have to check out the health food shop.

BTW Well done on your weight loss!!

Wed 13/01

Decaff coffee with diet sugar x 3 with skimmed or semi milk
    Weetabix x 2 with skimmed (1/2 teaspoon of proper sugar)
    4 fruit ryvita with extra light cream cheese
    Forest fruits fat free yoghurt
    Apple
    Small carton of orange juice

i've read, and i think sian can back me up on this...that you're actually better off eating full fat cheese as opposed to the low fat. somehow the body does better with it, and you actually lose more weight. wish i had a link for ya, but seriously...i've read about this a few times over. and yes, cheese does have protein, but.....not THAT much. idk what quorn is, so no idea there...but beans/tofu would definitely amp up your protein levels. and NO....no fructose....and i agree, aspartame is not a good thing, thus why i switched to stevia. we can get it at our regular markets, a few brands actually....but perhaps your healthfoods store is the way to do. i am really, really trying to get away from aspartame, and it's in soooooo many foods/drinks, but i am getting there.

also, one other thought.....maybe less fruit juice? drink water and EAT your fruit instead?
    i believe somehow juice has more sugar/calories than actually eating a piece of the same fruit, and you are also missing out on all the FIBER of eating fruit. i still am probably eating too much fruit/less veggies....and i plan on working on that ratio. i think sian discussed that earlier as well. small changes tho, eh? :) oh and yes....water, water, water.....and....green tea!(or white). any possibility of cutting back on the coffee :o i know, i know ;)....and switching it up for some green tea? soooooo good for you, and supposedly helps rev the metabolism. plus, i find it far easier to drink tea w/o any sweetener than coffee. thus, the one truvia in my iced coffee, but never any in my tea, especially when it's iced....it really tastes that good. i find the more you cut back on sugar/sweet....the less you crave....and the less sweetness, overall, that you need. and YES....allow yourself the dark chocolate, even daily. i buy ghirardelli chocolates that are individually wrapped squares, high cocoa content, and only about 50-60 cals each. dark chocolate IS good for you, and your diet...so it's a good indulgence. i'll shut up now.... :mrgreen:

vdboise...i agree with you.
    thus why i suggest stevia.
    100% natural.
    it's an herb.
    it's has it's own naturally sweet taste, different from sugar, but it's good. takes a bit of adjusting, but a good alternative. getting off sugar is a good idea, period, for most of us...but especially those of us with a family history of diabetes. i rather get my sugar from 'better' sources than table sugar, and when i DO have sugar, i want it in a REAL indulgence, such as ice cream, sorbet, a brownie, whatever.... :D

oh, i thought of one more thing claire - NUTS!
    how about some nuts?
    definitely watch portions (i use a 1/4 cup scoop to serve myself nuts) but they are a GREAT good fat/healthy protein source
    also, ever try greek yogurt?
    nonfat plain greek yogurt has an amazing amount of protein - something like 18 grams in a 6 oz. serving. :shock: again, takes some getting used to....very different from regular yogurt, but regular yogurt...either chock full of sugars or aspartame and not nearly as much protein, so yea....the greek PLAIN is the way to go. or i guess, regular plain yogurt. just trying to think of ways to up your protein.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

D2D sounds great, I will definately have a look in the supermarket at the weekend, unfortunately won't be able to do so 'til then - too much on during opening hours and I'll look up stevia too.

All advice gratefully received. :D
    Claireack wrote:
    D2D sounds great, I will definately have a look in the supermarket at the weekend, unfortunately won't be able to do so 'til then - too much on during opening hours and I'll look up stevia too.

All advice gratefully received. :D

:oops:
    toldya i read a shit-ton about all this stuff. if i actually DID all that i know/read...i'd be totally smokin' hot, and not posting on a need to lose weight thread. :lol: and i hear ya on the shopping trips. weekends really the only time i can hit em up either. i just know we're around the same age....and it does get harder.....so i want us ALL to be a success, for life. :thumbup:

besides, i NEED this motivation...so chatting with you lot helps.
    lately, seems like just you and me, so yea....stuck with me.... :D
    (tho happy to see vdboise pop in!)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

lately, seems like just you and me, so yea....stuck with me....

Someone will have to have words with Black Diamond!! :D
    Claireack wrote:
    lately, seems like just you and me, so yea....stuck with me....

Someone will have to have words with Black Diamond!! :D

seriously!
    :evil: :x :twisted:
    and a fellow NYer as well!
    :mrgreen:

(i think i read somewhere here today that he is on jury duty...so that may be why)

and damn, i can foresee a month or two from now...i'll definitely need this thread to shore up my motivation, so we need to keep it going...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

i'll definitely need this thread to shore up my motivation, so we need to keep it going...

Definately, especially as so far I've put weight on!! :o
    Claireack wrote:
    i'll definitely need this thread to shore up my motivation, so we need to keep it going...

Definately, especially as so far I've put weight on!! :o

well, if it makes you feel any better....my 5.5 pound loss is after an 8 pound holiday gain....so i'm still up 2.5 pounds... :| :? :oops: thus why i hope/want to torch thru em and get another 2 pounds or so lost quick, so i can actually feel progress. i mean, sure, i know i am making progress...i am being healthier...but yes, i want the scale to get moving lower and lower too! :mrgreen:

if i can lose 2 lbs. a week, consistently, thru my goal date :shock: ...i would be sooo psyched...and absolutely thrilled with the results. i don't think that is too unreasonable a goal/target weekly, so hopefully i can do that. perhaps some weeks more, others less...but if it averages out to that, i will be one very happy dreamer. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• more chicken...
    more soup......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    justam wrote:
    I usually try to manage my size with exercise because I don't like to diet.
    However, I am trying to avoid things high in calories these days.

i don't like to do either one. :P
    haha.

even w/o wanting to lose weight - which i do want - i just want to develop a healthier eating lifestyle.
    i find altho i love food and drink, it's just easier for me to alter my eating habits than fit in exercise. hopefully in time i will fit in more exercise, but for now i figure....work on the diet first. hopefully when the weather warms up i will be considerably smaller :)...and also just more motivated to be active with the warmer temps and longer sunlight. i have been such a glutton/hedonist for awhile now :oops: that hopefully i'll make some great strides right from the start. i am sure as i lose it will get harder, but if i can make a nice dent to motivate me, would be awesome. i just want to develop a way of life that i can maintain and enjoy...

Good for you! :)

I think maybe I'll join you in the effort after all. A diet might be a good idea at this time of year because I'd rather have a happy surprise and not a nasty surprise when it's back to being swimming season. :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    i need to lose a few pounds.
    I miss igotid88
  • Today I have:

2 x bowls Special K (1% milk)
    2 x Satsumas
    1 x Alpen Light bar
    Tomato and red pepper pasta bake with wholemeal pasta and vegetables

200ml carton organic OJ
    A cup of tea (skimmed milk)
    Water

I'm doing either an hour and half of stepping or a fitness DVD tonight.

I'm getting a little frustrated to be honest, i've lost all my Christmas weight and i'm back to where I was but I can't seem to lose any more :( I'm attempting to cut out more sugar next week by replacing fruit with raw veg snacks. I'm also finishing the Special K diet on Sunday so 'normal' lunches might help.... I dunno, I just feel really deflated about it today. :(
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Today I have eaten a boiled egg.....and it's nearly dinner time. And I'm not hungry. :?
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
    Today I have:

2 x bowls Special K (1% milk)
    2 x Satsumas
    1 x Alpen Light bar
    Tomato and red pepper pasta bake with wholemeal pasta and vegetables

200ml carton organic OJ
    A cup of tea (skimmed milk)
    Water

I'm doing either an hour and half of stepping or a fitness DVD tonight.

I'm getting a little frustrated to be honest, i've lost all my Christmas weight and i'm back to where I was but I can't seem to lose any more :( I'm attempting to cut out more sugar next week by replacing fruit with raw veg snacks. I'm also finishing the Special K diet on Sunday so 'normal' lunches might help.... I dunno, I just feel really deflated about it today. :(

i hate that feeling.
    i'd say to you what i said to claire....i don't think you are eating enough protein, and that perhaps is why it's stalling. protein in each meal really helps fuel the body and weight loss. also, maybe cut out the juice and replace with actual fruit instead.

well, i did really well again yesterday, ate exactly as i outlined in yesterday's post, but i gained back .5 pound. :? i knew it would happen too. avocado/guacamole is supposed to be one of those really great, healthy fats...but whenever i eat it, i always gain weight. hahaha. didn't eat that much, the equivalent of 1/4 small avocado, but it happened anyway. eh well. i know i still ate well yesterday so it's fine. so as of now, down 5 pounds (tho really, still up 3 from my 8 pound holiday gain). trying to stay focused on the big picture tho and not get upset over the little variations.

today's menu:

breakfast
    kashi go lean crunch cereal with skim milk

morning snacks
    banana
    clementine
    decaf black iced coffee + 1 truvia

lunch
    chicken soup
    2 stalks celery with 2 tablespoons chipolte pepper hummus
    almonds
    1/2 cup raspberries/blueberries
    water

snack
    clementine

dinner
    shrimp tempura with soy dipping sauce
    brown rice with mixed bell peppers
    iced white tea

going to try and skip a later snack, or just have a square of dark chocolate

i really, really would like to be down 10 pounds by february 1st, so be rid of the 8 pound holiday gain and 2 pounds of pure progress. *fingers crossed* :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Been good except for last night's B-day dinner for my Mrs. Pizzza MMMMM

But otherwise been a good boy.

Special K this am
    Turkey breast for lunch at 1
    Lean Cuisine for dinner

Before yesterday I was down 7.5 lbs. We shall see tomorrow.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Been good except for last night's B-day dinner for my Mrs. Pizzza MMMMM

Special K this am
    Lean Cuisine for dinner

niiiiccccceeee!
    :thumbup:

i have to remember you all have a week ahead of me so i don't get jealous. ;)
    i just want to reach the first 10 pounds, so i can really feel i made progress that i lost 2 in regards to my pre-holidays weight! :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Been good except for last night's B-day dinner for my Mrs. Pizzza MMMMM

Special K this am
    Lean Cuisine for dinner

Dont forget the diet bread.......
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    drastically cutting carbs
    forgetting that butter exists
    and resuming walking a half hour a day

happy f'n new year indeed haha
    Nice shirt.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I lost 10 pounds in the first half of last year and spent the last half gaining it back. doh!

I should really join a gym... I was talking long speed-walks on a nearly daily basis when the weather was nice, and I will again when spring rolls around, but I don't want to lose my motivation to exercise when it gets dark and cold again, or if it's raining. Okay... I'm doing this. For real.
  • thermos of soup
    thermos of coffee
    tuna sandwich.....

Another big day for SPEEDY!!!!!!

Triple cheeseburger
    Italian beef, wet, with sweet and hot peppers
    Double dog, char-broiled, with musturd, onion, x-tra pickles
    Cheese fries
    onion rings
    chocolate malt......

one can dream....hehehehehehehehe
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Before yesterday I was down 7.5 lbs.

Damn, you are back down to basically your birth weight. That is one awesome diet, BD.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    I love to turn you on
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Nice!!! :D
    GoiMTvP.gif
    14/01

decaff coffee with 1 diet sugar x 8
    Water

2 weetabix with 1/2 teaspoon sugar with skimmed milk
    Lots of grapes
    Cheese & onion flan, didn't eat the pastry
    + big salad
    Beans & mozarella on toast (seedy bread)
    Low fat yoghurt
    Naughty moment 4 x 5cm rum truffles :(

Exercise 2 mile walk

Keep slipping in naughty things - maybe I'm not in the right frame of mind for this.
  • avocado/guacamole is supposed to be one of those really great, healthy fats...but whenever i eat it, i always gain weight.

Could be food intolerance. When I eat tomato products, I gain half a pound. If I eat tomato every day, I will gain a total of five pounds- then it will stop, and I can eat as much tomato as I want- as long as I'm happy being five pounds heavier.

When I stop consuming tomato products, I'll lose at least half a pound per day until I've lost five pounds.

I have similar problems with potato and soybeans. I seriously need to have NAET therapy done to cure my myriad of food allergies/intolerances. I dream of one day indulging in leafy greens again!!! Honestly. I miss them terribly.
    "May you live in interesting times."
    avocado/guacamole is supposed to be one of those really great, healthy fats...but whenever i eat it, i always gain weight.

Could be food intolerance. When I eat tomato products, I gain half a pound. If I eat tomato every day, I will gain a total of five pounds- then it will stop, and I can eat as much tomato as I want- as long as I'm happy being five pounds heavier.

When I stop consuming tomato products, I'll lose at least half a pound per day until I've lost five pounds.

I have similar problems with potato and soybeans. I seriously need to have NAET therapy done to cure my myriad of food allergies/intolerances. I dream of one day indulging in leafy greens again!!! Honestly. I miss them terribly.

well fuck it, if that's the case...i don't give a shit. :mrgreen:
    i love, love, love guacamole!
    i don't eat it THAT often - if i eat it once a week, it's a lot. so i can deal with it. if 'all' the possible allergy does is make me gain, i'm ok with it. guac is worth it. :mrgreen:
    just seems funny is all.
    i can eat great, but if i eat guac, i gain...i can sometimes eat like shit and should gain, and i don't.
    it's all a mystery.

claire - you have to allow yourself indulgences, plan for em....that's LIFE. if you don't, if you just deprive....sure, you'll lose weight, but you'll gain it right back. you must find a balance that you can live with so you can keep the weight off.

and i say this from experience. the ONE and only time i ever 'dieted' i did atkins. i did great. i lost 35 pounds. then, i went back to normal life, and gained it all back... :|
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...