Soundgarden Rides Again!

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Brisk. wrote:
    shame, i take it that you 3 dont really realise how good soundgarden are... easily as good as pj at least without a shadow of a doubt.

:o:o :shock: :shock: .............. IS YOU CRAZY?!?!?! :lol::lol::lol:

you're lucky i don't live in the UK Brisk!!!!!!!! i'd have to slap some sense into you!....& don't make me revoke your Binaural brother card you crazy bastard!!! ;):mrgreen::mrgreen:

bwahahahah i founded the club! 8-)

Trust me, your the crazy one!

p.s whats going on wih our shirts btw?
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Flagg wrote:
    And you have to wonder what the other guys really think about this.

i'd be willing to bet Matt came to them (if Matt is indeed going to play for SG) wayyyyyyyyyyyy before hand and talked to them about it.
    I agree. When this started taking shape, i am sure the guys in PJ were well aware and supportive of a Soundgarden reunion. They were just as big of fans of that band as we all are.

Again, there has always been one incredible love fest between the two bands (PJ and SG). And now that they share the same drummer, I am sure this bond will only strengthen between the two groups.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I would also like to say thank you to Kat and Sea for letting us continue to discuss this awesome news right here on The Porch. Not really about PJ, but it is about PJ's drummer's other band.
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I would also like to say thank you to Kat and Sea for letting us continue to discuss this awesome news right here on The Porch. Not really about PJ, but it is about PJ's drummer's other band.

so i is related :lol:
  • Brisk. wrote:

we already know that...that's besides the point!

Brisk. wrote:

man...now that the holidays are over i gotta get back on that!

oh..and ah....PJ kicks SG ass!!! how can you say they are just as good? that's blasphemy Ed!!!!!!!!!
    Brisk. wrote:

we already know that...that's besides the point!

Brisk. wrote:

man...now that the holidays are over i gotta get back on that!

oh..and ah....PJ kicks SG ass!!! how can you say they are just as good? that's blasphemy Ed!!!!!!!!!

what have you taken tonight Erik?
  • Brisk, sounds like you've been given some bad ganja from that statement. ;) Soundgarden is ok but nowhere near the caliber of PJ, IMO. It probably has more to do with me disliking Cornell's attitude and actions rather than the band itself. Apparently he wasn't/isn't as good as HE thought he was/is as a solo artist. He may be a nice guy but it came off prickish when he dumped the other guys to solo it. That said I hope they have a good tour but I'm passing on them.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

Brisk, sounds like you've been given some bad ganja from that statement. ;) Soundgarden is ok but nowhere near the caliber of PJ, IMO. It probably has more to do with me disliking Cornell's attitude and actions rather than the band itself. Apparently he wasn't/isn't as good as HE thought he was/is as a solo artist. He may be a nice guy but it came off prickish when he dumped the other guys to solo it. That said I hope they have a good tour but I'm passing on them.

It's quite sad you think that...

Euphoria morning is a flawless album so no doubt he can make a solo record.. Carry On and Scream are shit but if you have listened to "Two Drink Minimum" he can still make them as good as he ever has done.

Just think too many people on this board are blind and think pearl jam is god but it is a pearl jam forum right? :D
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    I saw the final days of Soundgarden, they rocked but you could tell something wasn't right. Does one show constitute a reunion or will it be a full blown tour. Matt will need a rest so i dont expect to much touring after 2010. Doubt i will make it for those who do have a great time.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • HOW DOES THIS NEWS NOT GET TO ME SOONER??? JESUS! IM JUMPING UP AND DOWN WITH JOY! THIS IS THE COOLEST SHIT EVER! MY GOD! JUST A TOUR WOULD BE HEAVEN! IMAGINE IF THEY DO ANOTHER ALBUM!!! I MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE THE SEMESTER OFF TO FOLLOW THIS TOUR! AH!

:D:D:D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Brisk, sounds like you've been given some bad ganja from that statement. ;) Soundgarden is ok but nowhere near the caliber of PJ, IMO. It probably has more to do with me disliking Cornell's attitude and actions rather than the band itself. Apparently he wasn't/isn't as good as HE thought he was/is as a solo artist. He may be a nice guy but it came off prickish when he dumped the other guys to solo it. That said I hope they have a good tour but I'm passing on them.

Two completely different bands. Soundgarden are by far the more 'metal' of the two, and in terms of what they do they are, in my opinion, peerless. I would say I have a more emotional connection to Pearl Jam's music, which has a lot to do with the lyrics, and also the fact that they have a lot more emotional ballad type songs than Soundgarden do. But musically speaking Soundgarden were stunning. Songs like Superunknown, Like Suicide, Tighter and Tighter, brilliantly written and perfectly executed.

Unless you know the band personally I would hold fire on concluding exactly how and why the band originally broke up, the band's official line was that they thought they had taken things as far as they could.

Cornell doesn't like to do the same thing twice, as evidenced by pretty much every record he's ever recorded. Sure his last couple of solo records have been sketchy at best, and down right shit at worst, but I respect the fact he doesn't just want to stagnate. Two below par albums in a recording career as impressive as Cornell's is more than acceptable.
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    I agree with most on this thread. SG was not a good band, they were a GREAT band. As good as PJ? Well, that is a personal decision for each of us to make, but musically, this band was on another level. I mean, how many bands have the balls to release live videos of their songs on MTV back in the day? Pearl Jam did it we all know, but so did SG with Fell on Black Days. The first time I saw that video/heard the song I realized that this band was the REAL DEAL. I hope they play the Northwest.....cmon Matt, the football stadium in Missoula holds 16000, thats enough right, and I GUARANTEE it would sell out! Oh yeah, Jeff, you said "next year" 3 years ago for a hometown show...what gives?
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Posts: 1,597
    Stoked on this.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Awesome news!! As I never got the chance to experience Soundgarden, hopefully if they tour I'll be able to make a show!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • rats619rats619 Posts: 72
    I wonder if this is the reason PJ changed the North American tour for 2010?

i seriously hope not...if it comes out that this is the reason why the PJ tour might be or is cxld, i will never listen to another soundgarden song again for the rest of my life :evil: :evil:
  • alive25alive25 Posts: 124
    Matt won't leave pearl jam. But if he does, I'll drum for them. I play the shit out of the drums! =]
  • kj1nyrkj1nyr Posts: 837
    A Soundgarden reunion makes me happy. I have no fear that Matt will leave PJ. A roller coaster is fun but after a while you tend to appreciate a ride in a nice smooth Cadillac.
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    HOW DOES THIS NEWS NOT GET TO ME SOONER??? JESUS! IM JUMPING UP AND DOWN WITH JOY! THIS IS THE COOLEST SHIT EVER! MY GOD! JUST A TOUR WOULD BE HEAVEN! IMAGINE IF THEY DO ANOTHER ALBUM!!! I MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE THE SEMESTER OFF TO FOLLOW THIS TOUR! AH!

:D:D:D

I just wanted to quote this, because I too am so fucking excited!!! Couldn't imagine 2010 rocking out so f-ing much!!! I think this really is going to be a great year and decade for many reasons...

Soundgarden is the perfect turning point for "hard rock", its no surprise they were the only one of the original grunge bands to make it big. Just fucking perfect hard rock!!! So what if you perceive Cornell as a pre-madonna. That may or may not be true, but Robert Plant is a Pre-madonna and Ed Ved can certainly be a drama queen. I personally don't give a fuck about their personalities. Its not like they molested little boys or anything.
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
  • the EAGLES?

shameless ploy to make a buck?
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • SH17171SH17171 Posts: 425
    I just can't see why it would be for the money. Do they need it :?: I hope its for good times and good tunes.
    I hope they don't play New Kid In Town. :lol:
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Nah, but I hear 'desparado' will get an airing... :lol:
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Interesting...
    According to Billboard, "the group is weighing offers from several major U.S. and international festivals," with tour routing issues still remaining to be worked out, mostly owing to Cameron's existing commitments to play with Pearl Jam next spring and summer

Given Europe is summer and the only sping show so far announced it the Jazz Festival... Where has Billboard got their infrmation from? The same place as 101.9 rxp ?

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... 4&t=116510 ??????
  • twojawastwojawas Posts: 318
    It was inevitable that they would reunite. I think they could actually make some of the best music of their careers now. I'm sure Kim has hundreds of songs and riff stashed away from the last twelve years. I'm excited to hear them.
  • Cornell is obviously embarrassed by his latest solo album. Laaaaaaaaaaaame.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Well did the band ever in the past strike you as the kind of people who were just out to make a quick buck? I certainly wouldn't say their music indicated that, sure they had hit songs, but they also had a really experimental streak that didn't exactly pander to the masses.

I would entertain the thought that ego could drive these reunions, but I expect all members are pretty much set for life money-wise. Is it really that inconceivable that these people might have just realised that they aren't getting any younger and it's now or never? I say what the hell, throw caution to the wind, life is too short, and these guys made incredible music together, why not enjoy that again?
  • TravelarTravelar Posts: 3,390
    I read an article post last year with one of the members (can't remember specifics) and discussed not being able to release b-sides, unreleased tracks, and other merchandise. Again, I can't remember specifics, but I think it coming down to SG not owning their masters and some other issues with their label. I hope that they are doing this reunion to get control of their catalog. Anything else that comes out of this is just a plus.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,850
    kinda
    but we shall see what the tickets cost and and what venues they play

then I will pass judgment
    cameron certainly doesnt need the money or the headache, and cornell has been doing ok on his own
    so hopefully they are motivated to play SG tunes live again and its not just a money grab
  • the EAGLES?

For a second, I thought you were talking about our beloved Philadelphia football team. I was thinking, Soundgarden can't lose in the playoffs every year???
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,260
    Reunions are pretty lame themselves sorta like hooking up with an old flame it just doesn't feel like the 1st time around ,i'm not interested at all saw them back in the day ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....