Soundgarden Rides Again!

Comments

• BinFrog wrote:
    Jesus. Christ. Pose.

'nuff said.

:thumbup:
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    arq wrote:
    I never heard them in my life, I've been always too obssesed with PJ but I would like to give them a try, I like some of the Chris solo work.

with what soungarden record I should start?

I know this is not the best thread to ask :lol:

I disagree with the previous post, start with Superunknown. I'm not a fan of Badmotorfinger with the exception of Slaves & Bulldozers. Chris's voice is too high on it. Either way, Superunknown and Down on the Upside (very underrated due to a few crap punk tracks) will blow your mind!

Between PJ, STP and now Soundgarden touring this year, it's gonna be a good one. Just need Trent to take NIN back out on the road!

too high?? :? :?

lol dont even menion NIN in the same breath as those bands..

Down On The Upside is great soo, first 7 odd tracks are insanely good but start with BADMOTORFINGER!! It's easily better than Superuknown.. think Superunknown goes on a bit too much. Its just pure quality through BMF.
  • Don't forget about Louder Than Love! Full On Kevin's Mom!!!

Badmotorfinger is incredible.

Superunknown & Upside are awesome, but drag on a little bit.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • It's not a "who's got the biggest dick" competition !!! Relax. Music is my LIFE, but I'm old enough and wise enough to know that defending ANY band with terminal, near hysterical velocity, is insane.

I LOVE PEARL JAM. (but I also really)
    LOVE SOUNDGARDEN.

NOT for the individuals or personalities within in the band, but for the MUSIC which they have given US ALL to access and enjoy. To interpret as we see fit.

Soungarden, if you know your "grunge" history existed long before PJ, but never enjoyed that big breakthru hit to give them overnight success. Ten was an immediate worldwide smash, but its existence had roots in Green River, MLB,TOTD, Mookie. All paths from these bands and the roads it took Stone, Jeff, Mike, Matt, Chris etc thankfully lead us to a point where PJ was born. And thank God for that.

IF you aint heard SG, then you MUST checkout BADMOTORFINGER and SUPERUNKNOWN. These 2 records, released back to back, stand up not only against the test of time, but also against ANY consecutive PJ records. And in terms of a creative leap forward between albums, this is as diverse and as good as it gets.

There is room for both these amazing bands to exist in the World. For me, I prefer not to live without either of them in my bubble.
    It's not a "who's got the biggest dick" competition !!! Relax. Music is my LIFE, but I'm old enough and wise enough to know that defending ANY band with terminal, near hysterical velocity, is insane.

LOVE SOUNDGARDEN.

NOT for the individuals or personalities within in the band, but for the MUSIC which they have given US ALL to access and enjoy. To interpret as we see fit.

Soungarden, if you know your "grunge" history existed long before PJ, but never enjoyed that big breakthru hit to give them overnight success. Ten was an immediate worldwide smash, but its existence had roots in Green River, MLB,TOTD, Mookie. All paths from these bands and the roads it took Stone, Jeff, Mike, Matt, Chris etc thankfully lead us to a point where PJ was born. And thank God for that.

IF you aint heard SG, then you MUST checkout BADMOTORFINGER and SUPERUNKNOWN. These 2 records, released back to back, stand up not only against the test of time, but also against ANY consecutive PJ records. And in terms of a creative leap forward between albums, this is as diverse and as good as it gets.

There is room for both these amazing bands to exist in the World. For me, I prefer not to live without either of them in my bubble.

here here.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984

LOVE SOUNDGARDEN.

Hear hear x2 - plenty of room in an album collection for multi-band love. It always amazes me the people who think music absolutely has to be an either/or thing. I like the Beatles AND Elvis AND the Stones. I like Pearl Jam AND Nirvana AND STP AND Soundgarden. Personally I'm stoked Soundgarden is reuniting, because I never got to see them play live before they broke up, and now I have a chance. I saw STP late last year, am going to see Pearl Jam at Jazzfest (PJ + Jazzfest = absolute fucking awesomeness... except for the 5-7pm time slot), and depending how their schedule shakes out I may get to see SG before 2010 is over with. It's like somebody put together a Make-A-Wish just for me, and I couldn't be happier.

As for Matt - at least the guys are all friends, so whatever he ends up doing should be received amicably by both parties. He gets to chose between the band that put him on the map (and you never forget your first, right?), and the best band on the planet - or both (like it looks like he's doing at the moment, according to at least one article written about the Soundgarden reunion).

That being said, if he does decide to go back to SG on a full-time basis... who would they get to replace him? Dave K/A? Jack? Someone else?
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • -decodified--decodified- Posts: 2,688
    It's fantastic that they're back... but what about Pearl Jam??? :|
    Honestly I don't think SG is going to be a full time band again (problably they'll tour and that's it... a new record... don't think so) if it is that way Matt still be part of Pearl Jam... :)

BUT if SG is back for real... I would think Dave Krusen will get the chance... He started the thing... and would be nice for him to get the chance to enjoy what he missed for a long time... 8-)
    Dave A. is out of the question (I think Eddie thinks the same...) Jack Irons would be great too... Anyway I wasn't expecting this... We need to know what is going to happend especially ad-portas for the 20th Anniversary and a 2nd Backspacer US Tour... :roll:

The good thing is that all of them are friends... for a long time so I think the decision is going to be a good one!!! :D
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    arq wrote:
    I never heard them in my life, I've been always too obssesed with PJ but I would like to give them a try, I like some of the Chris solo work.

with what soungarden record I should start?

I know this is not the best thread to ask :lol:

Even though my older brother had BMF and my younger sister had SUK when the albums were new, I truely first discovered them in complete reverse order starting with Down on the Upside. And I acutally think that might be the best way to do it for a PJ fan, as they went along each album became more ..... "classic rock" (for lack of a better word). I love every album (except Fopp), but I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the rawness of Screaming Life had I not been warmed up with Ultramega OK and Louder Than Love before.

Anyway you go, I'm sure you'll have a blast. Of course the haters are going to voice their opinion here, but almost every PJ fan I've met also LOVED SG. So many common fans. And yeah, they are way "harder" than PJ. Some people here probably don't listen to music much harder than PJ, but SG made some of the best "hard rock" ever.
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
  • DeRamosDeRamos Posts: 46
    It's fantastic that they're back... but what about Pearl Jam??? :|
    Honestly I don't think SG is going to be a full time band again (problably they'll tour and that's it... a new record... don't think so) if it is that way Matt still be part of Pearl Jam... :)

BUT if SG is back for real... I would think Dave Krusen will get the chance... He started the thing... and would be nice for him to get the chance to enjoy what he missed for a long time... 8-)
    Dave A. is out of the question (I think Eddie thinks the same...) Jack Irons would be great too... Anyway I wasn't expecting this... We need to know what is going to happend especially ad-portas for the 20th Anniversary and a 2nd Backspacer US Tour... :roll:

The good thing is that all of them are friends... for a long time so I think the decision is going to be a good one!!! :D

Pearl Jam, with special guests Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, and Carpenter Newton's Mookie Blaylock Ten Club Band (with Jerome...Turner!). Keep Matt's drum kit for the entire night; swap band members during encore breaks. Problem solved; kickass show. 8-)
    Ryan DeRamos
    saw PJ live in 2006 and 2009; Stone in 2008!
    <a href="http://www.deramos.org">DeRamos.org Webcomic</a> & <a href="http://www.chorddujour.com">Chord du Jour Podcast</a> & <a href="http://twitter.com/deramos">Twitter</a&gt;
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Am i the only one who could care less about about them PJ rules :o
    You care about which PJ rules? :? :?:
  • hahahah- down on the upside is The best SG album Due to those fast punk tracks- jesus christ
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    WRONG.WRONG.WRONG. You're ALL wrong.

THIS IS FANTASTIC NEWS !!! Truly epic, life affirming joyous news regarding one THE finest bands to emerge in the last 20yrs !!!

How could anyone be unhappy or indifferent to this happening ?? SOUNGARDEN'S output and body of work was outstanding. Flawless. Each album bettered and trumped the previous one (with the exception of "Upside").

SUPERUNKNOWN, creatively speaking, matches ANYTHING that has been recorded in the last 15yrs, by any band or artist, any place. Period.

Let's not forget, historically speaking, Soundgarden were one of the true and original pioneers of the "Seattle" scene and without these guys ( and associated bands Mother Love Bone and Temple of the Dog), there would most likely be NO PEARL JAM, as we know and love.

We owe SOUNDGARDEN a huge debt of gratitude.

p.s. AUDIOSLAVE were totally fucking awesome. Saw them in 2004 and they kicked Dublin's ass.

p.p.s. Matt Cameron's drumming style suits Soungarden much better than PJ and has committed to playing live shows with Soungarden, so what does that mean for PJ ?? After next summer mini-tour : Another Ed solo project ?? Stone goes solo ? Brad ? Satchel ? The beginning of the END ??
    I agree with almost everything you said here.

Expect for your question the future of PJ....that is where I feel a little differently. Definitely not the beginning of the end. I am quite suer that if Soundgarden was to be another long term deal, they would have never broken up in the first place. They are getting back together for fun, for the fans, to promote the re-release of their back catalog. There hasn't even been any mention of a new record or anything. I seriously wouldn't hold your breath about Soundgarden being a long term reunion. And even if it is to be a long term deal, there is plenty of off time from the PJ world for Matt to be both bands full time drummer. And what a career Matt has carved out for himself.

EDIT: oh yeah, that is quite a stretch to say we owe Soundgarden anything for the creation of Pearl Jam. Soundgarden had absolutely nothing to do with the formation of Pearl Jam. Let's not have revisionist history here.
  • -decodified--decodified- Posts: 2,688
    Matt Cameron is a lucky Motherf***** :shock: ... has 2 awesome jobs...

he would be playing for Pearl Jam and Soundgarden in 2010!!! awesome!!! :D
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • I think Matt will stay with PJ, he has been with them longer than he was with Soundgarden! If he did leave too bad STP reunited as I always liked Eric Kretz !
    11/5/91: Troy NY "I Just Want to SCREAM... HELLO!"
    8/4/92:Saratoga NY 4/6/94:Mass 9/13/98:CT
    8/27/2000:Saratoga NY,10/04/2000:Montreal,Canada
    04/29/03:Albany, 5/12/06:Albany NY,10/31/09:Philly,5/15/10Hartford CT

• aNiMaL wrote:
    EDIT: oh yeah, that is quite a stretch to say we owe Soundgarden anything for the creation of Pearl Jam. Soundgarden had absolutely nothing to do with the formation of Pearl Jam. Let's not have revisionist history here.

Revisionist history?

FACT #1: Temple of The Dog was a tribute project to Andy Wood that Chris Cornell started and per Jeff and Stone's admission, got them thinking about playing music again.

FACT #2: After Chris' invitation to Stone and Jeff, they contacted Mike to join them as well. During this time, Matt recorded drums for what would be the first "Ten"demos.

FACT #3: Once Stone, Jeff, and Mike realized they wanted to continue making music and form a new band after TOTD, they needed a drummer and singer. They contacted Jack Irons to play drums, but since leaving the RHCP, he had joined Eleven. He did however mention a singer from San Diego... "Crazy Eddie".

FACT #4: "Crazy Eddie" went to Seattle, the boys found themselves a drummer (or "drummers" :D), and Pearl Jam was born.

So you see, while Soundgarden itself as a single entity may not have been directly responsible for the creation of Pearl Jam, at least 2 of it's members and their friendship/connection with PJ's founding members certainly played a part in it's eventual inception, which doubtfully would be the band it is today had certain events not taken place.

That said...I'm very stoked with this news.
    Whatever happens, happens, and the possibility to hear new music and see them live is a godsend. If you don't believe me, just turn on any FM radio station...
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,799
    edited January 2010
    Since soundgarden consists of 1/5 pj!!

10c'ers will be gettin a leg up on tix?

What can I say, I'm a half full kinda guy
    Post edited by CROJAM95 on
    ticket sale for uk date at end of month ;)
  • Brisk. wrote:
    when?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Brisk. wrote:
    when?

end of the month lol...

its a festival.
  • Hopefully they will play the same festivals as PJ. My guess is HRC.
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene
    Hopefully they will play the same festivals as PJ. My guess is HRC.

no because tickets have been on sale already for that festival.
  • i wish. man, this guy must've been some turd for them to let him go because he sure was one BA!!! and anyone that says he's not the best pj drummer ever is living a lie. he's one of the best drummer's ever period.
  • Brisk. wrote:

How do you know?

If its a festival it will prob be download i recon.
    Brisk. wrote:

How do you know?

i have confirmed inside information, i also know a lot of the line up for download.
  • Brisk. wrote:

How do you know?

i have confirmed inside information, i also know a lot of the line up for download.

:lol: So is it download or somewhere else? Don't keep it to yourself. When you said friday do you mean tomorrow? (8th)
    Brisk. wrote:

How do you know?

:lol: So is it download or somewhere else? Don't keep it to yourself. When you said friday do you mean tomorrow? (8th)

cant say anything as the dude may loose his job, as illogical as that sounds i just dont want to spill anymore beans and keep to my promise.

I never said anything about a friday?
  • :lol: No you didnt did you :? :?:
  • chidoonechidoone Posts: 327
    whatever the concert is if is in the UK I will definitely be there...Soundgarden is my second favorite band behind Pearl Jam so this is great..hope they could make a special guest appearance at HRC !!
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Brisk. wrote:

Download would be a good one for them too. It is a 'solid' rumour (as solid as rumours can be!). TCV also rumoured for download.
  • Tickets Download :-)

Early bird tickets are no longer on sale. Normal tickets are due on sale at the end of January when the festival makes an announcement.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/download/2010/
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene