Soundgarden Rides Again!

Comments

• vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    Brisk. wrote:
    Hopefully they will play the same festivals as PJ. My guess is HRC.

no because tickets have been on sale already for that festival.

my guess is download, but is it only PJ day tickets that have been anounced for HRC?
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Revisionist history?

FACT #1: Temple of The Dog was a tribute project to Andy Wood that Chris Cornell started and per Jeff and Stone's admission, got them thinking about playing music again.
    I am pretty sure it was Stone and Mike who started jamming together first in attempt to start a new band, and they got Jeff back in the fold.
    FACT #2: After Chris' invitation to Stone and Jeff, they contacted Mike to join them as well. During this time, Matt recorded drums for what would be the first "Ten"demos.
    Wrong, again, Mike and Stone were already jamming together with Jeff, starting the formation for what would be PJ, at the same time as TOTD.
    FACT #3: Once Stone, Jeff, and Mike realized they wanted to continue making music and form a new band after TOTD, they needed a drummer and singer. They contacted Jack Irons to play drums, but since leaving the RHCP, he had joined Eleven. He did however mention a singer from San Diego... "Crazy Eddie".
    Wrong again as Ed was also already in the fold during the TOTD sessions, being Ed sang on a couple of TOTD songs. Again, PJ was alreay taking shape at the same time as Temple.
    FACT #4: "Crazy Eddie" went to Seattle, the boys found themselves a drummer (or "drummers" :D), and Pearl Jam was born.
    Again, your timing is wrong as Ed was there during the TOTD sessions because PJ was already in formation.
    So you see, while Soundgarden itself as a single entity may not have been directly responsible for the creation of Pearl Jam, at least 2 of it's members and their friendship/connection with PJ's founding members certainly played a part in it's eventual inception, which doubtfully would be the band it is today had certain events not taken place.
    Like I have pointed out, Stone, Mike, Jeff, and Ed were already well underway forming a band during the TOTD sessions and have absolutely never ready anything crediting any member of Soundgarden for the formation of Pearl Jam. Yes, they were all friends. Yes, Chris was Andy's roommate and yes, he wrote and asked Jeff and Stone to record a couple songs for their lost friend, and yes, that turned out an entire album with what is currently the PJ line up plus Chris. But, that was all because both the formation of PJ, and the recording of Temple happened at about the same time. That's why we get two songs from one riff in Times of Trouble and Footsteps. I also believe that Stone, Mike, and Jeff, with help of their eventul future drummer Matt Cameron recorded the infamous demos before TOTD. Because you are right, those demos were made to find a drummer and a singer, and Ed was clearly already found during the TOTD sessions because, again, he was on the record. And I have read different things about Ed waiting for the Temple sessions to end (daily) so the Mookie sessions could continue. And because he was there for the Temple recordings, and noticed Chris was having trouble with the low parts of Hunger Strike, he stepped up and sang that part for Chris. Then he also sang back up on another song or two.

So in the end, I just cannot agree with the notion that Soundgarden had anything to do with the creation of PJ, besides the help from their drummer recording the demos when he was asked. But again, that was before Temple.
    That said...I'm very stoked with this news.
    Whatever happens, happens, and the possibility to hear new music and see them live is a godsend. If you don't believe me, just turn on any FM radio station...
    So am I as I too am a huge Soundgarden fan!!
    drummerboy_73, read this from Ten Past Ten (in fact read the entire thing as it is one of the best PJ readings you will ever find): http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/art ... n801.shtml
    1990: PREHISTORY

MARCH 19: Mother Love Bone singer Andy Wood dies of a heroin overdose a month shy of the band's debut, Apple. MLB immediately disbands. SEPTEMBER: In San Diego, Eddie Vedder adds vocals to demo tapes of a nascent Seattle band, creating the first Pearl Jam recordings OCTOBER: Vedder travels to Seattle to rehearse with the band OCTOBER 22: The band, temporarily named Mookie Blaylock, play their first show at the Off Ramp. NOVEMBER-DECEMBER: Soundgarden's Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron and Mookie Blaylock's Jeff Ament, Stone Gossard, Mike McCready, and Vedder record Temple of the Dog

See, Mookie played their first show on October 22, 1990 before the Temple recordings even took place. They were already a band.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

my guess is download, but is it only PJ day tickets that have been anounced for HRC?

Yep
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    drummerboy_73, read this from Ten Past Ten (in fact read the entire thing as it is one of the best PJ readings you will ever find): http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/art ... n801.shtml
    1990: PREHISTORY

MARCH 19: Mother Love Bone singer Andy Wood dies of a heroin overdose a month shy of the band's debut, Apple. MLB immediately disbands. SEPTEMBER: In San Diego, Eddie Vedder adds vocals to demo tapes of a nascent Seattle band, creating the first Pearl Jam recordings OCTOBER: Vedder travels to Seattle to rehearse with the band OCTOBER 22: The band, temporarily named Mookie Blaylock, play their first show at the Off Ramp. NOVEMBER-DECEMBER: Soundgarden's Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron and Mookie Blaylock's Jeff Ament, Stone Gossard, Mike McCready, and Vedder record Temple of the Dog

See, Mookie played their first show on October 22, 1990 before the Temple recordings even took place. They were already a band.

I see where you're coming from, and your facts are basically correct, but TOTD was already in the works before Pearl Jam started rehearsing and playing shows...that's where "Footsteps" on Ed's demo came from. Since it also became "Time of Trouble", the music was already there. I'm well aware that Pearl Jam was already a band before TOTD actually RECORDED, but the seeds of TOTD were planted by Chris, Stone, and Jeff way before Ed was in the fold.

http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/art ... 1491.shtml
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • It is OTHER MUSIC after all...I mean shit, I'm sorry that Cornall's TIMBALAND record bombed, but so what?

Cornell lost his cred on April 9th, 1997

And no, I am not being rude, just calling it what it really is people :roll:
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • ChazzChazz Posts: 1,135
    It is OTHER MUSIC after all...I mean shit, I'm sorry that Cornall's TIMBALAND record bombed, but so what?

Maybe because Matt is in Pearl Jam and was/will be in Soundgarden and the Porch is about ALL things Pearl Jam :D
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Soundgarden are gonna headline Download Festival 2010 (saturday june 12th)
    Brisk. wrote:
    :D:D but also :( :( :( because I don't think I can make it.
    redrock wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

also $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • Brisk. wrote:

Any other dates??
    Ireland has a download festival too. Its usually one day though.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
    Brisk. wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

True.
  • redrock wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

True.
    true true
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    It is OTHER MUSIC after all...I mean shit, I'm sorry that Cornall's TIMBALAND record bombed, but so what?

Actually, being rude is exactly what you are doing as this thread has nothing to do with Timbaland, or what your opinion is of Cornell's "cred" is.
  • Brisk. wrote:

source?
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    Brisk. wrote:

source?

someone who works for download.
  • Brisk. wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

source?

cool
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,506
    Brisk. wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

source?

I can't see this happening. 10 day's later, Pearl Jam hits their first show in Europe, 22-June Dublin, Ireland 02 Arena. Matt will be with Soundgarden touring weeks before in Europe aswell? If this source starts then all the other European Festivals who are getting Pearl Jam are gonna say Soundgarden are gonna play to on their bill too. :| The fact that Soundgarden is coming back is cool, but on the Pearl Jam front, you have to wonder what is gonna happen @ the end? Will Matt Cameron leave Pearl Jam? Will the force of Soundgarden arise from the ashes & forever walk the earth again unstoppable?
    demetrios wrote:
    I can't see this happening. 10 day's later, Pearl Jam hits their first show in Europe, 22-June Dublin, Ireland 02 Arena. Matt will be with Soundgarden touring weeks before in Europe aswell? If this source starts then all the other European Festivals who are getting Pearl Jam are gonna say Soundgarden are gonna play to on their bill too. :| The fact that Soundgarden is coming back is cool, but on the Pearl Jam front, you have to wonder what is gonna happen @ the end? Will Matt Cameron leave Pearl Jam? Will the force of Soundgarden arise from the ashes & forever walk the earth again unstoppable?

All valid points but i wouldnt care if Matt left and joined Soundgarden, ITS FRICKIN SOUNDGARDEN!!!! Soundgarden HAVE to have Matt in order to function, Pearl Jam doesn't need Matt Cameron as bad, they can easily get someone else to replace him to be honest. Yeah Matt knows all the catalogue etc but its a price i'd pay to see Soundgarden.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,506
    Brisk. wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

All valid points but i wouldnt care if Matt left and joined Soundgarden, ITS FRICKIN SOUNDGARDEN!!!! Soundgarden HAVE to have Matt in order to function, Pearl Jam doesn't need Matt Cameron as bad, they can easily get someone else to replace him to be honest. Yeah Matt knows all the catalogue etc but its a price i'd pay to see Soundgarden.

I wonder if this does happen, who would be the best man for the job to sit behind the drums of Pearl Jam? With all the garbage bands out there, and what Chris Cornell released month's ago that pretty much shocked this nation, we gotta bring back the rock n' roll on this planet.
  • Looks like I'll be heading to Download then, unless they play a London date too.
  • Dunno if i could afford to go to download to see them.
  • Dunno if i could afford to go to download to see them.

Yeah I hear that. I'm not really that fussed about going all that way just to see them, but I don;t wanna miss out!
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    I'm thinking Coachella needs some double -whammy SG-PJ action. Matt can do it if they play on separate days :D
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    I'm thinking Coachella needs some double -whammy SG-PJ action. Matt can do it if they play on separate days :D

i've been thinking sg on friday and pj closes on sunday!! :mrgreen:
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    norm wrote:
    SOLAT319 wrote:

i've been thinking sg on friday and pj closes on sunday!! :mrgreen:

Sounds perfect to me :D
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • dave a. all the way. it's a no brainer. i guess everyone has an opinion and a preference but it seriously blows my mind how many people think jack is a better drummer. I. JUST. DON'T. GET IT! WTF?!! it's not even close! other than jacks tribal beats that he gets WAAAAAY too much credit for, he's nothing more than a sloppy time keeping average drummer, at best! plus, if you're going to give jack the edge in the tribal beat category, please go back and throw on vs. and check out a little ditty called "wma". blows away anything jack did like "in my tree", "who you are", or "given to fly".... not saying saying "wma" is a better song, just has better drumming. tight and flawless. dave played the drums like an instrument, not just to keep time. watch on youtube any song that dave played and compare to jack or matt playing the same song. he can't be touched. a good example of jacks awfully boring simplistic drumming was "hail hail" on letterman. PLEASE WATCH and you'll notice not a single drum fill. it's bad. i mean, he looks like a mental patient banging on pots and pans(sounds like one too). better yet, the electronic gorrilla from showbiz pizza. or kinda like an under-oiled tin man. it's brutal. i've never seen more basic drumming in my life, not even from the rolling stones drummer. well.... i might give jack the slight edge on that one. might.
  • SOUNDGARDEN! COOL! (still hasnt sunk in)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • If I can see AIC, SG, and PJ all in one calendar year... would be SIIIIICK!!! :mrgreen:
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • anyone going to see AIC at the borgata? I will be there!
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10