2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    smarchee wrote:
    the matchups on Sunday are huge :shock:

Top 2 in each group, it's like a playoff round. The organizers must have planned it that way, good on them. It'll be like a Sunday full of football ... but, with pucks.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    do you know the schedule for today?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    the matchups on Sunday are huge :shock:
    Yeah- tomorrow is a great hockey day.
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    lukin2006 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I'm sure the Russian fans are a little disappointed figuring they should have handled Slovakia easily.

yep, you're right about "little disappointed", but who said that Slovakia is a weak team? they're better than Swiss for sure.. ok, our teams both faced problems in the early stage, interesting what would be next..

I never said Slovakia was weak, but the Swiss are getting better, and being coached by a Canadian having Canadians in the lineup seems to motivate them, similar to Germany when they us. But unlike you guys we found a way to win. I'll take Brodeur over Nabokov in a heartbeat.

you said "handled easily".. I was not counting on that. not a big diffirence between shootout win or loss on THIS stage..
    Of course Brodeur is the man, but remember Torino 06..
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    the Swiss - Norway game has been entertaining, back and forth, change of leads

now going to overtime

strange how Swiss look so ordinary compared to the game vs Canada, its like they rose to the call playing in the host country's backyard

you wonder if thats the same as NHL teams being always amped to play the reigning Stanley Cup champion
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    , you're right about "little disappointed", but who said that Slovakia is a weak team? they're better than Swiss for sure.. ok, our teams both faced problems in the early stage, interesting what would be next..[/quote]

I never said Slovakia was weak, but the Swiss are getting better, and being coached by a Canadian having Canadians in the lineup seems to motivate them, similar to Germany when they us. But unlike you guys we found a way to win. I'll take Brodeur over Nabokov in a heartbeat.[/quote]

you said "handled easily".. I was not counting on that. not a big diffirence between shootout win or loss on THIS stage..
    Of course Brodeur is the man, but remember Torino 06..[/quote]

I remember Torino '06, thats fine, thats how it goes. You guys realize you haven't won OLYMPIC GOLD since all countries can use their best, you do realize all those hockey gold won in the past were against amateurs and you're professionals lost to a bunch of university kids from the States in '84. Too my knowledge our proffesional have never lost to a bunch of university kids. I am not overly passionate about a lot, but I'll defend Canadian hockey to the bitter end, and no matter what, they may break my heart at times but Canadian Hockey has never let me be ashamed of them. I think Stevie Y. did a good job selecting this team and the coaching staff. Why you bring up Torino '06, this teams reminds of Salt Lake City '02. GO CANADA GO.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    lukin2006 wrote:
    , you're right about "little disappointed", but who said that Slovakia is a weak team? they're better than Swiss for sure.. ok, our teams both faced problems in the early stage, interesting what would be next..

I never said Slovakia was weak, but the Swiss are getting better, and being coached by a Canadian having Canadians in the lineup seems to motivate them, similar to Germany when they us. But unlike you guys we found a way to win. I'll take Brodeur over Nabokov in a heartbeat.[/quote]

I remember Torino '06, thats fine, thats how it goes. You guys realize you haven't won OLYMPIC GOLD since all countries can use their best, you do realize all those hockey gold won in the past were against amateurs and you're professionals lost to a bunch of university kids from the States in '84. Too my knowledge our proffesional have never lost to a bunch of university kids. I am not overly passionate about a lot, but I'll defend Canadian hockey to the bitter end, and no matter what, they may break my heart at times but Canadian Hockey has never let me be ashamed of them. I think Stevie Y. did a good job selecting this team and the coaching staff. Why you bring up Torino '06, this teams reminds of Salt Lake City '02. GO CANADA GO.[/quote]

it was in 80 when some college kids beat the mighty USSR not 84

just saying
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    , you're right about "little disappointed", but who said that Slovakia is a weak team? they're better than Swiss for sure.. ok, our teams both faced problems in the early stage, interesting what would be next..

I never said Slovakia was weak, but the Swiss are getting better, and being coached by a Canadian having Canadians in the lineup seems to motivate them, similar to Germany when they us. But unlike you guys we found a way to win. I'll take Brodeur over Nabokov in a heartbeat.

I remember Torino '06, thats fine, thats how it goes. You guys realize you haven't won OLYMPIC GOLD since all countries can use their best, you do realize all those hockey gold won in the past were against amateurs and you're professionals lost to a bunch of university kids from the States in '84. Too my knowledge our proffesional have never lost to a bunch of university kids. I am not overly passionate about a lot, but I'll defend Canadian hockey to the bitter end, and no matter what, they may break my heart at times but Canadian Hockey has never let me be ashamed of them. I think Stevie Y. did a good job selecting this team and the coaching staff. Why you bring up Torino '06, this teams reminds of Salt Lake City '02. GO CANADA GO.[/quote]

it was in 80 when some college kids beat the mighty USSR not 84

just saying[/quote]

Thanks for the correction, but it was great, as a Canadian I enjoyed it, just couldn't stand the fact that they hid the players in the army and everybody knew they were pros including the IOC and nobody had the balls to put an end to it.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    yep, you're right about "little disappointed", but who said that Slovakia is a weak team? they're better than Swiss for sure.. ok, our teams both faced problems in the early stage, interesting what would be next..

According to the IIHF Slovakia is ranked lower than the Swiss.

The Men's 2009 ranking is based on the performance at World Championship of 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006 and at the 2006 Olympic Ice Hockey Tournament in Turin, Italy.[7]
    Rank

1 Russia (WC) 2000 1200 3200 +1
    2 Canada 2000 1160 3160 −1
    3 Sweden (OC) 1975 1120 3095 –
    4 Finland 1990 1060 3050 –
    5 United States 1815 1100 2915 +1
    6 Czech Republic 1875 1040 2915 –1
    7 Switzerland 1765 960 2725 –
    8 Belarus 1660 1000 2660 +1
    9 Slovakia 1680 940 2635 –1
    10 Latvia 1590 1020 2610 +1

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

According to the IIHF Slovakia is ranked lower than the Swiss.

The Men's 2009 ranking is based on the performance at World Championship of 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006 and at the 2006 Olympic Ice Hockey Tournament in Turin, Italy.[7]
    Rank

1 Russia (WC) 2000 1200 3200 +1
    2 Canada 2000 1160 3160 −1
    3 Sweden (OC) 1975 1120 3095 –
    4 Finland 1990 1060 3050 –
    5 United States 1815 1100 2915 +1
    6 Czech Republic 1875 1040 2915 –1
    7 Switzerland 1765 960 2725 –
    8 Belarus 1660 1000 2660 +1
    9 Slovakia 1680 940 2635 –1
    10 Latvia 1590 1020 2610 +1

_____
    that's because their best players didn't played in the championships
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    don't know if it's been discussed, but is the NHL rink an asset for hte US team.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    oh snap!!! :D
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • Options
    U S A looking really strong. I think we'll beat canada sunday. 3-2 USA u heard it here first.
    close go USA
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Barring a shocker we'll be in the finals against the US Woman. As for the men, I don't know, one good thing they controlled the game, I thought this was a very good team effort and it appears they came together as a team. We should handle Germany, but like the Swiss they tend to play us tough. As for a QF with Russia, I figured we would play them a some point, does it really matter when, not to me. Nabokov is not near the goalie Miller or that Swiss goalie is.

• Options
    Well, it's now official, the U.S. has the #1 seed after the preliminary round.

They will get a bye, then face the winner of Switzerland vs Belarus in the quarterfinals.

Other good news, they would not have to face Sweden, Russia or Canada until a potential gold medal game.

Loooooong way to go, but, it's lining up nicely.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    jimed14 wrote:

They will get a bye, then face the winner of Switzerland vs Belarus in the quarterfinals.

Other good news, they would not have to face Sweden, Russia or Canada until a potential gold medal game.

Canada needed the practice anyway.
    Won't help them when they get to Russia, but still...
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    jimed14 wrote:

it couldn't line up any better for us :mrgreen:

however you still have to play the games
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    USA-Hockey.jpg
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    1501652.jpg?1266811449
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    naturally alot of excitement after last night's game... but while most of us were sleeping, lundqvist and sweden posted their second shutout of the tournament.

lot of talks of who is now the top seed, did US claim it, did canada lose it, is it russia now... but no one is talking the defending champs, sweden it seems at all......???
  • Options
    Being on the east coast, I don't get to watch a lot of the LA Kings, but based on these games, I really like how Drew Doughty plays. That kid is going to be a good one.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    naturally alot of excitement after last night's game... but while most of us were sleeping, lundqvist and sweden posted their second shutout of the tournament.

lot of talks of who is now the top seed, did US claim it, did canada lose it, is it russia now... but no one is talking the defending champs, sweden it seems at all......???

Indeed, Sweden looked good against Finland. As I mentioned above, Sweden is another team I'm glad the US doesn't have to face until a potential Gold Medal game .... that side of the bracket is going to be so damn tough.

• Options
    GO GERMAAANY!! :D:D
  • Options

:mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    I don't think you guys want to play us any more than we really wanted to play you this early. That being said I think Sweden is the team beat.

• Options
    ok i don't wanna jinx the us of a but they have a nice shot to get to the big game :shock:

beat the swiss tommorrow

beat finland or czech after that

gold medal game
  • Options
    Being on the east coast, I don't get to watch a lot of the LA Kings, but based on these games, I really like how Drew Doughty plays. That kid is going to be a good one.
    Going to be a good one?? Hoa bout' is!! Anybody that seriously knows anything about hockey and especially defensemen know that for a 20 year old to play that position that well is special. He being talked about as a norris trophy candidate. Lidstrom didn't win his first till he was 30 +

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Well....I wouldn't want to be a German hockey player tonight (actually...they're stayin the athletes village, yes I would :D) ....Canada NEEDS to seriously THUMP the Germans to get some confidence back.
    It kinda sucks being the targeted team...Switzerland was unreal in their game against us, compared to their other games....and I'm guessin the US will not maintain their level of play against other teams either...(even tho Canada DID outplay them, other than in the most important position)

I'm def glad I haven't been too cocky in this thread ;) Lots of awesome hockey to go....

Side note:
    Anyone else feel that this tournament is 1000% an argument for retraction in the NHL....I know it would never happen...but imagine the level of play on a nightly basis if the NHL only had, say, 15 teams?
    Years past our last expansion, we're STILL just getting past how badly we watered down the talent level....
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Todays NY Daily News had a great piece on Chris Drury, our faithful Yankee Loving Ranger Captain .

Drurys Drive

alg_usa_chris-drury.jpg

Chris Drury's drive makes him go-to guy for USA and New York Rangers
    BY Wayne Coffey
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Originally Published:Monday, February 22nd 2010, 10:25 PM
    Updated: Tuesday, February 23rd 2010, 10:52 AM

VANCOUVER - When Brian Burke, GM of the U.S. men's Olympic hockey team, began mentally assembling a roster two summers ago, he reached out to the captain of the Rangers, Chris Drury.

"He's too humble to tell you this, but I will: he's the first guy we went to," Burke said Monday, by a security checkpoint outside Canada Hockey Place. "He's been a winner his whole life. His hockey IQ and his willingness to pay the price on the ice is second to none. He demonstrated that (Sunday) night."

When the U.S. team was officially announced, the selection of the 33-year-old Drury was roundly criticized.

He's past his prime, they said. He's never been the same player since he signed that big contract with the Rangers in 2007, they said. Then and now, Burke thought the criticism was completely unfair, and addressed it a day after Drury scored a big goal in the 5-3 upset over Canada, his second in as many games. It was part of the American onslaught that yesterday moved Canadian coach Mike Babcock to yank Martin Brodeur for Roberto Luongo.

"We put him on the team for leadership," coach Ron Wilson said. "He has those, well I'll say it, some Mike Eruzione-type qualities. He does a lot of dirty grunt work that oftentimes gets overlooked, but not by coaches."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/winte ... z0gOEpG3tE
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life