Options

2010 Olympics: Men's Hockey

Comments

• Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I will 1st say that i am from Canada. judging just from last nights game (which a saw everyone of them) i have to say that i was not impressed with how Russian and the US. the US i believed lack a lot of experience in their 1st game but i think they have a great young team that will be powerful in the next Olympics. Russian offense looked as great as we all know they are but letting in 2 goals against a team that is not even in their league was not a good start. I am worried about their defense against faster and more talented teams like Sweden and Canada. as for Canada, my main concern is goalie. not that they don't hav eany but that they may have much

Like i said before i am from Canada and i am cheering for them so i don't know if my view point is right or biased.

GO CANADA GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Everyone keeps talking about Canada/Russia being the two top teams.

I am nervous about the U.S. A underdog with no pressure, a young team (with less ego than the superstars on Canada or Russia) and a hot goalie......is a dangerous combo.

For the U.S., it is almost a luxury having 1 surefire decision as your goalie. On the Canadian team, there is a lot of second guessing (Luongo or Brodeur)

I'm interested to see how the US does in their next game... They started clicking after the first period, but they still need to get on the same page.

I think that with their physical play and if Miller gets on a roll, they have a shot at beating anyone. Remember, it's only one game... Canada or Russia would probably beat US in a best of 7, but it only takes one game to knock someone out (in the medal/playoff round).

Switzerland is a much better team than Latvia or Norway, so comparing all three games yesterday is a bit tough. US vs Norway and Canada vs Swiss will be a good reference to where the US stands against Canada.

But boy... the Canadians and Russians look incredible offensively.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    anything can happen in single elimination ... especially if teams start playing the trap ...
  • Options
    great action yesterday!!

nice to see brooks firin on net to help create usa's first goal, and seeing malone get a tally, and miller looked great in the net

best goal of the day? for my money its sid to nash to iginla...what a goal!!!

on another note, when i see sid crash the net while mike richards is shooting i wanna vomit, add a heatly (cough cough KILLER cough) and its like a swift kick in the balls. i wanna get behind canadas efforts but i hate so much of their team on a personal hockey level
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • Options
    best goal of the day? for my money its sid to nash to iginla...what a goal!!!

Yeah, that was a beauty... the Backes goal was nice too (although a terrible angle by that defensemen helped).
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    whats with the switzerland jersey's being exactly the same colour sequence as Canada

that's going to be annoying when they play tomorrow night

Hiller is going to get lit up
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    RoughMixRoughMix back of a lorry Posts: 385
    Well, I thought Canada looked great.Russia was very good although a lackluster powerplay.Odd with all that firepower.I heard Malkin wants to play with Ovechkin(who doesn't) and is whining about it.It is this sort of attitude that has been the Achilles heel for Russia in recent Olympics.The U.S. have Miller and that is always scary.Can't wait for Canada/U.S. on Sunday.
    My main fear is some eurofag ref will call a shit penalty(we've seen a few already) and it will cost one of the superpowers a game.Let the boys play!
    If Kovalchuk dives and gets away with it, Like he did against Latvia.It could prove costly.

Go CANADA Go!!!
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • Options
    ^cause ov is afraid malkin will outshine him
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • Options
    RoughMixRoughMix back of a lorry Posts: 385
    ^cause ov is afraid malkin will outshine him
    :shock: :lol:
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    quickly 1 - 0 usa ;)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    quickly 1 - 0 usa ;)

it kills me these games are at 3 and i am stuck at work everytime.

the best i can do is watch the box score on espn.com update!
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    There u go cally. Get the toughness going.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    quickly 1 - 0 usa ;)

it kills me these games are at 3 and i am stuck at work everytime.

the best i can do is watch the box score on espn.com update!
    I think there are a lot of live streams online....can you stream at your desk?
    I can't install the media player updates without admin/IT permission :(
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Wtf is up with these 2 on 1

Play better D boys

Game is very chippy
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Can't wait to watch the game tonight!! GO CANADA GO!!!!!!!
  • Options
    This is why nothing is guaranteed in a one game tournament.

Loved seeing Babcock going back to Sid with all those other options.

Yeah, he knows the deal ;)
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,945
    Man that was an amazing game tonight against Switzerland. Switz's goalie was unstoppable after that 2nd early goal in the 2nd period.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Holy crap, could we start playing now, to many guys tonight standing around and shoot the damn puck. That being said a little scare like this will hopefully wake them up. Switzerland reminds of when we used to play Germany a lot, they play us tough, I figure its due to the fact that they have a strong Canadian contingent. Oh well, sill got the win, even though this win is worse less, only in international hockey.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/blogs/timwha ... mpics.html

Bettman non committal about the NHL participating in 2014. I like the NHL there as a fan, I don't know why the NHL and the players can't work something out thats permanent, like start the season earlier in Olympic years, alter the schedule, reduce games played in Olympic years. I'm sure something can be worked out to satisfy all concerned.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I missed most of the game...but from what I saw...seriously, how many bloody times did Canada lose races for loose pucks in the third? Or get knocked off it along the boards?.....Hiller does deserve credit, and the Swiss played well. But that was not a great effort at all.

lukin2006 wrote:
    http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/blogs/timwharnsby/2010/02/bettman-fasel-duel-over-olympics.html

Bettman non committal about the NHL participating in 2014. I like the NHL there as a fan, I don't know why the NHL and the players can't work something out thats permanent, like start the season earlier in Olympic years, alter the schedule, reduce games played in Olympic years. I'm sure something can be worked out to satisfy all concerned.
    He's been throwing this around for a while - most peole think it's posturing for the new collective bargaining agreement...Something he can 'compromise' on in order to make it look like the league is being flexible. (might be in that article, didn't click).
  • Options
    Both the Cdn and Swiss goalies were hot last night. I'm just glad Brodeur was a tiny bit better. Now to beat the piss out of the poor US and on to the metal round.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    WOW

i never seen 10 million people sweat sooo much :mrgreen:

dont choke canada
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Both the Cdn and Swiss goalies were hot last night. I'm just glad Brodeur was a tiny bit better. Now to beat the piss out of the poor US and on to the metal round.
    Woot woot!

PS: Go Halak!! LOL
  • Options
    WOW

dont choke canada
    I think Canada is in trouble against the US on Sunday.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    WOW

dont choke canada

i wouldn't go that far ..

however overtime is our friend now :mrgreen:

actually it was the best thing for canada...a reality slap in the mouth 8-)
  • Options
    3 reasons it was so close:

1. We weren't hitting. The swiss were playing a trap, and the only way to beat the trap is play physical. OUr Average player is 6'3, and 215 pounds....use your size!!!
    2. We weren't shooting the puck. How do we have 3 power plays (with Heatley, Thorton, Marleau, Crosby, Nash and Iginla on the PP) with two or fewer shots?
    3. Hiller was 100 times better than Brodeur.

That was your wake up call Canada. Do something with it!!!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    WOW

dont choke canada

i wouldn't go that far ..

however overtime is our friend now :mrgreen:

actually it was the best thing for canada...a reality slap in the mouth 8-)
    Maybe. They'll definitely have to up their game.
    I know I'm not allowed to make fun of Crosby anymore..
  • Options
    by the way.. the whole changing who goes first is crap in the 4th round

no goalie should have to face 2 in a row

not to mention the announcers didn't say a word so i thought i was bugging out :evil:

thats a funky rule
  • Options
    by the way.. the whole changing who goes first is crap in the 4th round

no goalie should have to face 2 in a row

not to mention the announcers didn't say a word so i thought i was bugging out :evil:

thats a funky rule
    It's different. Also being able to have the same 3 skaters shoot every round is wacky.
  • Options
    they follow the nhl rules for some things but not for others?

icing , shootout rules ..

what else?