Options

2010 Olympics: Men's Hockey

Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Tournament begins February 16, gold medal game played February 28.
ROSTERS/STANDINGS/SCHEDULE

Teams have until Feb.15 to make changes due to injury.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    The million dollar question: Who's between the pipes for Team Canada?
  • Options
    you'd be crazy not to give it to Broduer.

USA!!!!!!! im a lithuanian so go Latvia!!!!!!!!
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    mervin50mervin50 Posts: 217
    Going to be Luongo. I think that he is just a little healthier at this point in the season and he's been extremely strong since the start.
  • Options
    mervin50 wrote:
    Going to be Luongo. I think that he is just a little healthier at this point in the season and he's been extremely strong since the start.
    ya think? The Canucks have been disappointing, his numbers are the lowest they've been since he got there, and he's ranked middle of the pack in most categories ...I thought his play this season was the reason it's such a heated debate right now, but I could be wrong...Lots of people talking Fleury...?
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I like Brodeur, Fleury as his back up, Luongo big game performances have not been their, last years playoffs tells the tale.

I would like to see Stamkos added. I also think it would be smart to keep the Thorton, Heatley, Marleau line together, probably not a better line in hockey.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I like Brodeur, Fleury as his back up, Luongo big game performances have not been their, last years playoffs tells the tale.

I would like to see Stamkos added. I also think it would be smart to keep the Thorton, Heatley, Marleau line together, probably not a better line in hockey.
    Scary thing is, they'd likely be our third line...
    I agree marty will probably get the nod. But I almost wish they'd just go with the hottest hand instead of track record.
    hmmm....I didn't know until tonight that Huet was from France :D
    You mean Stamkos added to the final roster?
    Here's one take from nhl.com on the projected roster:
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=506003
    He agrees...but I don't see Corey Perry on that list...how does he not get consideration with the year he's having? Who else do you pull? Maybe Smyth, but after that? Morrow? That list is also missing Eric Staal....what if he gets hot now that he's supposedly healthy? What if someone lights a fire under Lecavalier? I don't envy Stevie Y.
    actually f that, yes I do :)
  • Options
    mervin50mervin50 Posts: 217
    mervin50 wrote:
    ya think? The Canucks have been disappointing, his numbers are the lowest they've been since he got there, and he's ranked middle of the pack in most categories ...I thought his play this season was the reason it's such a heated debate right now, but I could be wrong...Lots of people talking Fleury...?

Excellent points and I agree but since he came back from the fractured rib injury he has been bang on. I personally don't care for Luongo (anyone making millions :shock: that leaves during playoffs for his child’s birth doesn't get my support - never saw that before in any league but could be wrong :?: ) but he is solid when up against some of the top players and you can't put the overall rank of the Canucks on Luongo since the team as a whole haven't performed early on in the season.

:arrow: :arrow: On a separate note I hope Gustavsson is ok.
  • Options
    mervin50 wrote:
    Excellent points and I agree but since he came back from the fractured rib injury he has been bang on. I personally don't care for Luongo (anyone making millions :shock: that leaves during playoffs for his child’s birth doesn't get my support - never saw that before in any league but could be wrong :?: ) but he is solid when up against some of the top players and you can't put the overall rank of the Canucks on Luongo since the team as a whole haven't performed early on in the season.

:arrow: :arrow: On a separate note I hope Gustavsson is ok.
    Ya, IMO, he should have been a lock coming into the season, but I haven't followed his play very closely. I hope he's at the top of his game, cause I think he should be the guy if he is...
    I hadn't heard the Gustavsson story...just checked it out :( Scary stuff, hope he's ok.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

i'd give the nod to fleury. when was the last time brodeur or luongo did their job in a big game?
  • Options

Just the fact that you have to make a choice between Brodeur, Luongo and Fleury just shows what sick depth that Team Canada has.

I can't wait to watch this tournament.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Belarus all the way!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options

i'd give the nod to fleury. when was the last time brodeur or luongo did their job in a big game?
    This is true too :D

Just the fact that you have to make a choice between Brodeur, Luongo and Fleury just shows what sick depth that Team Canada has.

I can't wait to watch this tournament.

I know! Prime time and afternoon games this time around too! The big screen in our boardroom at work will finally be put to proper use! ;)
    It’s a tough call in net....but I don't know if we're even the strongest country at that position...Look at the league leaders in goaltending stats this season…if I’m not mistaken, there are no Canucks anywhere near the top of GAA or Save %....and for the most part, Canadian ‘tenders are playing for teams with subpar records….the Canadians with the best numbers weren’t at the summer camp, but no one has ever made the team without attending said camp….:?: I’m sure the choice will be controversial regardless. And if we don’t win gold, it will be second guessed for another four years (or more).

Canada does have sick depth…but isn’t even ranked #1! The Russians are scary, and as these tourneys always prove, any one of the ‘deep six’ can pull off an upset on any given night.
  • Options
    mervin50 wrote:
    Gotta tell you, I was at the Devils-Canucks game last night and Luongo totally outplayed Brodeur. He made some doozies and he looked a lot healthier. One game does not a career make but Luongo looks pretty sweet.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i think lundqvist and the swedes have this one wrapped up again.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Goaltending Power Rankings:
    Rank. Player Country Rating
    1. Ryan Miller U.S.A. 96.77
    2. Tuukka Rask Finland 86.77
    3. Miikka Kiprusoff Finland 86.13
    4. Antero Niittymaki Finland 84.70
    5. Ilya Bryzgalov Russia 83.30
    6. Evgeni Nabokov Russia 83.00
    7. Martin Brodeur Canada 82.37
    8. Johan Hedberg Sweden 82.23
    9. Semyon Varlamov Russia 79.60
    10. Craig Anderson U.S.A. 78.33
    11. Chris Mason Canada 78.27
    12. Tim Thomas U.S.A. 76.90
    13. Cristobal Huet France 76.57
    14. Pekka Rinne Finland 75.47
    15. Ondrej Pavelec Czech Republic 75.10
    16. Tomas Vokoun Czech Republic 73.63
    17. Marty Turco Canada 73.47
    18. Dwayne Roloson Canada 72.00
    19. Roberto Luongo Canada 71.87
    20. Jean-Sebastien Giguere Canada 71.80
    21. Marc-Andre Fleury Canada 69.90
    22. Ray Emery Canada 69.33
    23. Niklas Backstrom Finland 69.10
    24. Henrik Lundqvist Sweden 68.93
    25. Jimmy Howard U.S.A. 68.90

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/n ... oaltenders

Defense Power Rankings:
    Rank Player Country Rating
    1. Mike Green Canada 91.19
    2. Dan Boyle Canada 85.23
    3. Duncan Keith Canada 83.98
    4. Drew Doughty Canada 83.57
    5. Alex Goligoski U.S.A. 82.32
    6. Christian Ehrhoff Germany 82.08
    7. Chris Pronger Canada 82.06
    8. Lubomir Visnovsky Slovakia 81.95
    9. Ed Jovanovski Canada 81.21
    10. Zdeno Chara Slovakia 80.76
    11. Stephane Robidas Canada 80.63
    12. Tomas Kaberle Czech Republic 79.83
    13. Andy Greene U.S.A. 79.34
    14. Tobias Enstrom Sweden 78.50
    15. Erik Johnson U.S.A. 78.32
    16. Shea Weber Canada 78.01
    17. Sergei Gonchar Russia 77.65
    18. Niklas Kronwall Sweden 77.53
    19. Pavel Kubina Czech Republic 76.79
    20. Brent Seabrook Canada 76.55
    21. Matt Carle U.S.A. 76.31
    22. Jay Bouwmeester Canada 75.84
    23. Dion Phaneuf Canada 75.75
    24. Marc-Andre Bergeron Canada 75.53
    25. Ian White Canada 75.36
    26. Zach Bogosian U.S.A. 74.30
    27. Brian Campbell Canada 73.92
    28. Kris Letang Canada 73.89
    29. Adrian Aucoin Canada 73.82
    30. Alexander Edler Sweden 73.73
    http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=22164.html

(just fantasy rankings, but a fair measure of performance this year)
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    Looks like Canada isn't the only country that will have difficulty selecting a 'tender...
    Kiprusoff said a week or so ago that he'd rather stay home and rest if he isn't the starting goalie for Finland. Wouldn't expect much more from a Flame ;) I say they accommodate him. I guess Kurri wasn't impressed, nor should he be. It's a one hour flight from Calgary to Van. Every other hockey fan in the world would give their first born to sit on the bench and watch olympic hockey...
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    my money won't be on the states
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    C eh N eh D eh

Go Canada Go
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    i really like our(usa) chances to win gold. ron wilson and scott gordon picked the right group of players. got alota veterans and tons of good young players.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Anyone who doesnt think Broduer will be starting with Luongo backing up is a moron, Fleury seriously? He plays on an elite team and still has sub par numbers
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    i really like our(usa) chances to win gold. ron wilson and scott gordon picked the right group of players. got alota veterans and tons of good young players.

uh the teams havent been announced yet and I would be surprised if you even made it to the medal round. your defense could compete with the mighty ducks, yeah the movies, not the real team.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Anyone who doesnt think Broduer will be starting with Luongo backing up is a moron, Fleury seriously? He plays on an elite team and still has sub par numbers
    It was becoming pretty clear when I asked the question....now it's even moreso...but Brodeur hasn't had this spot locked up all along, I think people expected Luongo to challenge and Brodeur to fall off....moron is a bit strong :roll: ....but yes, looks like the starting slot is Brodeurs to lose...

for anyone that's interested, Russia and Sweden have submitted their tentative rosters (I updated the links in the header post)...Nothing too newsworthy for Russia - Kovalev didn't make the cut, nor Khabibulin..., but it looks like Sweden may have some injury problems (Alfredsson, Kronwall, Zetterberg and Forsberg are all hurt)....few more days till we can start dissecting team Canada.
  • Options
    It was becoming pretty clear when I asked the question....now it's even moreso...but Brodeur hasn't had this spot locked up all along, I think people expected Luongo to challenge and Brodeur to fall off....moron is a bit strong :roll: ....but yes, looks like the starting slot is Brodeurs to lose...

for anyone that's interested, Russia and Sweden have submitted their tentative rosters (I updated the links in the header post)...Nothing too newsworthy for Russia - Kovalev didn't make the cut, nor Khabibulin..., but it looks like Sweden may have some injury problems (Alfredsson, Kronwall, Zetterberg and Forsberg are all hurt)....few more days till we can start dissecting team Canada.

I wasnt saying you, just in general and yeah it has been Broduers this whole time. since 1998. no ifs ,ands or buts about it.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    Just can't wait for the first face-off! 8-)
    Did Canada announced their roster?
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539

december 30th 12 est
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:

december 30th 12 est
    hadn't noticed they changed the date! nice catch...
    http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=21905.html
  • Options
    I think these guys are locks
    F
    Crosby
    Perry
    Getzlaf
    Heatley
    Thornton
    Mike Richards
    Iginla
    Nash
    Marleau
    E Staal

Bubble-Carter, Toews, Morrow, Doan, Smyth, Stamkos, J Staal, Vinny, St Louis, Brad Richards, Penner

D
    Pronger
    Weber
    Keith
    Boyle
    Green
    Neidermayer

Bubble- Jbo, Doughty, Phanuef, Seabrook

G
    Brods
    Luongo
    Fleury
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    You're calling Staal a lock? Was that after watching tonight's performance? Interesting...he's had a disappointing year, I have him in my fantasy pool damnit...

HNIC's staff poll picks:
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2 ... picks.html
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    HNIC's staff poll picks:

No one mentioned Terrance and Phillip.. :(

well you have a lot of cool players, our clash must be an epic
  • Options
    HNIC's staff poll picks:

No one mentioned Terrance and Phillip.. :(

well you have a lot of cool players, our clash must be an epic

:lol: nope, and no skating bears on your roster either, comrade ;) blame canada...
    yup, here's hoping for a big Canada/Russia gold medal showdown...I'm just praying we don't melt down again. 2006 was a disgrace.