Options

2010 Olympics: Men's Hockey

Comments

• Options
    loved the ryan malone mid-air rebound goal the other day, but dimitra gets the goal of the day for his nifty shoot-out winner, and i might add that both hiller and brodeur made for some real interesting hockey, bang up game from both. and kudos to sid for his shootout winner as well. i still fuckin hate danny heatley.

yesterday id say i was most impressed with jagr, the old boy really showed some life

i liked seein russia get upset bu latvia, it shakes things up a good bit

go usa!!!!!!!!!!!
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    polaris_x wrote:
    Canada got outworked by a better TEAM last nite ... the Swiss played a great team game with great goaltending and could have easily won the game ...

there seems to be a hunger issue especially the veterans ... hopefully, this was a wake up call ... the bigs are all trying to play like gretzky instead of crashing the net ...

i'm surprised babcock was quick to let brodeur play against the US ...

I don't know if you can say that Canada got outworked. look at the 3rd period what were the shots on net. Canada played a good team yesterday but i think they played well and i think it was actually a good game for them because they now know that they can beat a hockey team where the goalie is stealing a game.

however, i do have to say that i am not liking what they are doing with Sid. he seemed a little confused because he was playing with so many different players. also, i think the defense was suspect yesterday. too many little mistakes by Drew (the next great D-man) and also pronger.

we must also work on our powerplay being 1 for 8 is not good for a team with that much fire.
  • Options
    RoughMixRoughMix back of a lorry Posts: 385
    Canada met a team that was determined to hit them.That was one thing that surprised me.
    I thought Brodeur played well.Those two goals were unstoppable.Held Canada in there in the shoot out before someone decided to actually "shoot".
    Duncan Keith had a horrible game.Giveaways and bad passes all game.Pronger flubbed a few and did his trademark stupid penalty trick.
    Iginla was invisible.I know he won't get the ice time he usually gets,but he has to get more than last night.Don't know if the hit he took early stunned him a little.
    I think this was a good wake up call for Canada.
    Looking forward to a good game Sunday.Have to beat the U.S., regardless of last night, to get the bye into the quarters anyway.Miller is the one thing that scares me about the U.S.
    Sunday is the big day when the top teams from each group face off against each other.
    Can't wait.

Go Canada
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • Options
    U S A looking really strong. I think we'll beat canada sunday. 3-2 USA u heard it here first.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    fife wrote:
    I don't know if you can say that Canada got outworked. look at the 3rd period what were the shots on net. Canada played a good team yesterday but i think they played well and i think it was actually a good game for them because they now know that they can beat a hockey team where the goalie is stealing a game.

however, i do have to say that i am not liking what they are doing with Sid. he seemed a little confused because he was playing with so many different players. also, i think the defense was suspect yesterday. too many little mistakes by Drew (the next great D-man) and also pronger.

we must also work on our powerplay being 1 for 8 is not good for a team with that much fire.

i think they got outworked especially in the corners and along the boards ...

sid should be the first guy out on the power play ... plus they need someone willing to stand in front of the net ... no one's really doing that right now ... also nidermayer looks old out there ... also i don't think drew doughty is playing that bad ... on the first goal - i'm not sure why niedermayer didn't play the shooter when there was a backcheck coming back for the other guy ... he basically gave him a partial break away ... granted the guy rifled a great shot but still ... i think a play should have been made on him ...
  • Options
    U S A looking really strong. I think we'll beat canada sunday. 3-2 USA u heard it here first.

canada 6 USA 2
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

it was Slovakia, actually.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options

like a said before, i like the American team but still don't know if they are up there with Canada and Russia. i think they have a very young team that will be very good for years to come. Miller is a good goalie but he has been playing as great as he was earlier in the season. of course, i still think he is a very good goalie.
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    watching Sweden vs Belarus now - Sweden has great teamplay. skating, passing - very good.

sunday should be great day for hockey
  • Options
    fife wrote:

like a said before, i like the American team but still don't know if they are up there with Canada and Russia. i think they have a very young team that will be very good for years to come. Miller is a good goalie but he has been playing as great as he was earlier in the season. of course, i still think he is a very good goalie.

It's a one game tourney, anything can happen. It's not a best of 7 where a stronger lineup would win far more often.

If the US gets a win on Sunday, they have a HUGE advantage to get to the semifinals.

Heck, even if they get an OT loss to Canada, they have the inside track on being the #4 seed and still getting a first round bye.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:

it was Slovakia, actually.

errr...what he said ;)
    ... plus they need someone willing to stand in front of the net ... no one's really doing that right now ...

too many chiefs?
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    It's a one game tourney, anything can happen. It's not a best of 7 where a stronger lineup would win far more often.

If the US gets a win on Sunday, they have a HUGE advantage to get to the semifinals.

Heck, even if they get an OT loss to Canada, they have the inside track on being the #4 seed and still getting a first round bye.

for sure a bye is probably preferable but to me (like you said) in a one game elimination ... any team can beat any other team on any given day ...

i am wondering tho if getting a bye is a good thing ... these guys (especially the US and Canada) need as much games together as possible ... playing an extra game might actually help ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

for sure a bye is probably preferable but to me (like you said) in a one game elimination ... any team can beat any other team on any given day ...

i am wondering tho if getting a bye is a good thing ... these guys (especially the US and Canada) need as much games together as possible ... playing an extra game might actually help ...

Playing an extra game would help.But.....when you get to the elimination round I think I would prefer the bye.
    I couldn't handle a stress filled close game-overtime-shootout.Save that for later.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    polaris_x wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

kind of jumping on the back of the last post ... you answered your own question. An extra game only increases the chances of getting eliminated.

I'm sure these guys would much rather have a day of practice instead of the extra game to get more experience with one another.

plus, if you get the bye, you're probably playing one of the weaker teams in the round of 8, where as if you're loswer seeded, you may have to face a much tougher team earlier in the playoff round.
    Post edited by jimed14 on

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:

canada 6 USA 2

I agree Polaris...or at least I hope so. :D

GO CANADA GO!!!!!!
  • Options
    RoughMix wrote:
    Playing an extra game would help.But.....when you get to the elimination round I think I would prefer the bye.
    I couldn't handle a stress filled close game-overtime-shootout.Save that for later.

i hear ya ... but they needed all those games in salt lake to finally peak in the final ... it's gonna be some of the best hockey ever come elimination round! ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

sid should be the first guy out on the power play ... plus they need someone willing to stand in front of the net ... no one's really doing that right now ... also nidermayer looks old out there ... also i don't think drew doughty is playing that bad ... on the first goal - i'm not sure why niedermayer didn't play the shooter when there was a backcheck coming back for the other guy ... he basically gave him a partial break away ... granted the guy rifled a great shot but still ... i think a play should have been made on him ...

i can see your points. Canada was trying to be fancy. they are the biggest and fastest team and have to use that. if i am looking at the power play, i would have Richard or Thornton in front of the net. have Sid on the right. heatley on the Left and have pronger and drew at the point. pronger is a smart player and a great passes who still has a great shot. as for the 1st goal, it is common on a 2-on-1 for the dman to block the pass and have the goalie play the puck. still think the game was good for Canada. they have to get used to the close games.
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    kind of jumping on the back of the last post ... you answered your own question. An extra game only increases the chances of getting eliminated.

I'm sure these guys would much rather have a day of practice instead of the extra game to get more experience with one another.

plus, if you get the bye, you're probably playing one of the weaker teams in the round of 8, where as if you're loswer seeded, you may have to face a much tougher team earlier in the playoff round.

yeah ... i think when push comes to shove a bye is probably best ... just think it may not be a bad thing if they don't get it ...

anyhoo - the way i see it ... CAN, RUS, SWE, USA, FIN, CZE, SLO ... it doesn't matter who you play here ... it's gonna be a tough game ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    RoughMix wrote:

i hear ya ... but they needed all those games in salt lake to finally peak in the final ... it's gonna be some of the best hockey ever come elimination round! ...
    Yeah,in Salt lake we got a big helping hand from Belarus.
    And as I type this Belarus has come within one goal of tying Sweden.
    Can't wait for some great nerve wracking hockey.
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,147
    Next Wednesday is going to be amazing! .......I have tickets lined up for two of the four quarter final games .....the US game at noon and not sure yet who will be playing the 7:00 game. It will be hockey nirvana!!! Woooo Hooo 8-)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Next Wednesday is going to be amazing! .......I have tickets lined up for two of the four quarter final games .....the US game at noon and not sure yet who will be playing the 7:00 game. It will be hockey nirvana!!! Woooo Hooo 8-)

congrats on the tickets. I wish i could see a game there. have fun.
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:

I'm curious, how do you know the US will be playing in the quarterfinals already? Let alone what time they are playing?

• Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    Hawkshore wrote:

I'm curious, how do you know the US will be playing in the quarterfinals already? Let alone what time they are playing?

do i smell a fix by those damn NBC people. the horror. where is jay Leno right now. :lol:
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    Hawkshore wrote:

Vanoc has slated the noon start time for the US game. The US have already made the quarter finals top two teams in each group advance and they have already beaten the Swiss and Norway. Now to set things up right the US losses to Canada and then should draw a top caliber opponent in the quarter final I'm hoping for Russia or Sweden.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:
    Hawkshore wrote:

Vanoc has slated the noon start time for the US game. The US have already made the quarter finals top two teams in each group advance and they have already beaten the Swiss and Norway. Now to set things up right the US losses to Canada and then should draw a top caliber opponent in the quarter final I'm hoping for Russia or Sweden.

Actually the US have not already made the Qtr finals only the group winners get a free pass. That said things would have to go pretty sideways for the US to miss. SO if the US make the quarter finals it will be the noon game!
  • Options
    Didn't realize that former Bruin Vladimir Ruzicka is the head coach of the Czech team ... strong Bruin connection with he and David Krejci.

Latvia giving them all they can handle after it initially looked like a blow out.

• Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    Didn't realize that former Bruin Vladimir Ruzicka is the head coach of the Czech team ... strong Bruin connection with he and David Krejci.

Latvia giving them all they can handle after it initially looked like a blow out.

I always liked Rosey Ruzicka
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I'm sure the Russian fans are a little disappointed figuring they should have handled Slovakia easily.

yep, you're right about "little disappointed", but who said that Slovakia is a weak team? they're better than Swiss for sure.. ok, our teams both faced problems in the early stage, interesting what would be next..

I never said Slovakia was weak, but the Swiss are getting better, and being coached by a Canadian having Canadians in the lineup seems to motivate them, similar to Germany when they us. But unlike you guys we found a way to win. I'll take Brodeur over Nabokov in a heartbeat.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    Canada got outworked by a better TEAM last nite ... the Swiss played a great team game with great goaltending and could have easily won the game ...

there seems to be a hunger issue especially the veterans ... hopefully, this was a wake up call ... the bigs are all trying to play like gretzky instead of crashing the net ...

i'm surprised babcock was quick to let brodeur play against the US ...

The pp was the problem in '06, that is why many analyst were questioning the absence of Mike Green, he leads NHL defensmen in pp points. No point second guessing the team now, they just have to find a way. GO CANADA GO
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

On that first goal by the Swiss, look at the replay, that was one of the most blatent holds I've ever seen, that was good old fashion clutch and grab Euro hockey at itt's finest.