Options

2010 Olympics: Men's Hockey

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    ya, he'd be a big loss, but like you say....it's a crapshoot. Carter, Stamkos and St.Louis are all game breakers...who knows how it could affect things. I just hope we make it thru the last few nhl games with no more inuries to olympians from any country...no fun if any top players aren't there.

2 players I really wanted was Stamkos and Green, I would have easily taken Green over Pronger and Stamkos over Morrow. At the world hockey championship last year Stamkos was 1 of our best players if not best and Pronger is penalty prone. Thats the thing with hockey in Canada we could easily asseble a second team and compete for a medal. But other than those 2 Stevie Y has done a good job and he got the team younger than they were in Turin.

On a side note I'm glad Gretzky carried the final torch run, he assembled the 2002 team that ended our 50 year drought. I will sat this though, they should have included The Terry Fox family more into the opening ceremonies.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    I just hope we make it thru the last few nhl games with no more inuries to olympians from any country...no fun if any top players aren't there.

to be honest im more concerned with my pens gettin hurt in the olympics and hurting nhl play
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I just hope we make it thru the last few nhl games with no more inuries to olympians from any country...no fun if any top players aren't there.

to be honest im more concerned with my pens gettin hurt in the olympics and hurting nhl play
    I hear ya...but like I mentioned above...I'm an Oil fan. The only way this can hurt my team is if Lubo or Grebs get hurt (sorry for using nicks like I know them, I just don't remember how to spell their names :D)...and all that would do is guarantee us last overall...which is about the best outcome the Oil can hope for at this point...in other words...fuck the nhl... This tourney is all I've got this year! :)

lukin06 - Everyone keeps calling Green a defensive liability. Can't really speak to that; haven't watched the Caps that much. He's been out of the running all along from what I've read. I agree about Pronger bein penalty prone tho - he'll have to be extra careful with international refs!
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749

I hear ya...but like I mentioned above...I'm an Oil fan. The only way this can hurt my team is if Lubo or Grebs get hurt (sorry for using nicks like I know them, I just don't remember how to spell their names :D)...and all that would do is guarantee us last overall...which is about the best outcome the Oil can hope for at this point...in other words...fuck the nhl... This tourney is all I've got this year! :)

lukin06 - Everyone keeps calling Green a defensive liability. Can't really speak to that; haven't watched the Caps that much. He's been out of the running all along from what I've read. I agree about Pronger bein penalty prone tho - he'll have to be extra careful with international refs!

Not even Edmonton residents want to admit to being an Oilers fan....good on you :lol:
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    gold-usa
    sliver-Canada
    bronze-Russia

with basically all of canada watching the gold medal game team canada will choke under pressure
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    coachchris wrote:

Not even Edmonton residents want to admit to being an Oilers fan....good on you :lol:

:D I notice the MacT haters have grown quite silent...

metsy - Canada choking will take a pretty heavy meltdown (not saying it can't happen after 06)....but coming up against a hot goalie might be the only thing that can stop the firepower of either Canada or Russia...Miller might be that goalie....BUT.....for the US to choke, he's the only guy that needs to choke, really...that happens, they're done.
    Team USA - average age: 26...just won the world juniors...future's lookin bright for you guys anyway.
  • Options
    i see lots of caps action being a pens fan i can say i do think mike green is a defensive liability...and a fucking joke:http://www.greenlife52.com/
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    gold-usa
    sliver-Canada
    bronze-Russia

with basically all of canada watching the gold medal game team canada will choke under pressure

Your dreaming if you think your going to medal, remember Burke picked this team and Ron Wilson is a joke of a head coach. Canadian hockey players are used to the big lights. We have three big advantage's coaching, the San Jose trio, and the 2 chicago D. In a short tournament it's all about who can gel quickest, the 2 from chicago know each other and the San Jose trio form the top line in the NHL. Mike Babcock, I don't have to say anything about him, he'll have the team prepared. You had Burke pick your's, who many GM's in the NHL don't really respect, we had Stevie Y, hockey hall of famer, respected throughout the country, 3 time stanley cup champion as a player 1 as management, he knows who to pick. We may not win, but it won't be because we choke.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    ^yer def right that there is an advantage to have that line and that paring on your team

buuuut...there's something to be said for inspired second and third line play...pens fan'll tell ya about what a killer third line can do against a supposed hockey rival giant ;)

and one good pairing on our side (or any other country fwiw) that figures out the sj line and things change fast

that pairing and the rest of the d and the goal tending however...thats what really scares me about canada
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Can't wait for the hockey to start. Really excited about this young US team and very happy for Timmy Gleason getting the add. He works his ass of every game and is very solid on D.
    I'm very disapointed that Finland left Jussi of their team though. Guess they don't need a skilled guy like him. :?:
    Brian
  • Options

Yes, but Green is very good on the PP and that was a weakness in 06, but doesn't matter the team is picked and most have arrived or arriving this evening, now we'll see how it plays out. GO CANADA GO

• Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    this video just got me pumped for team canada:
    http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2010/02/te ... eo-to.html
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol::lol: especially the end

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    gold-usa
    sliver-Canada
    bronze-Russia

Your dreaming if you think your going to medal, remember Burke picked this team and Ron Wilson is a joke of a head coach. Canadian hockey players are used to the big lights. We have three big advantage's coaching, the San Jose trio, and the 2 chicago D. In a short tournament it's all about who can gel quickest, the 2 from chicago know each other and the San Jose trio form the top line in the NHL. Mike Babcock, I don't have to say anything about him, he'll have the team prepared. You had Burke pick your's, who many GM's in the NHL don't really respect, we had Stevie Y, hockey hall of famer, respected throughout the country, 3 time stanley cup champion as a player 1 as management, he knows who to pick. We may not win, but it won't be because we choke.
    yea those Canadian players came up big back in 06 huh :roll:. i'd like to see your pathetic excuse for that choking. gee steve Y as your GM or the greatest hockey player ever as your GM, tough choice eh. i'm still sticking to canada choking the gold medal game.

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    gold-usa
    sliver-Canada
    bronze-Russia

yea those Canadian players came up big back in 06 huh :roll:. i'd like to see your pathetic excuse for that choking. gee steve Y as your GM or the greatest hockey player ever as your GM, tough choice eh. i'm still sticking to canada choking the gold medal game.

No excuse for 06, that's life. This will be different.

• Options
    i see lots of caps action being a pens fan i can say i do think mike green is a defensive liability...and a fucking joke:http://www.greenlife52.com/
    Is that an official/personal site???? holy shit...If #19 saw that....no wonder...dressing room poison.
    That was awesome! :lol:

I'm not making any predictions about the outcome of this. The favs are Canada and Russia. Sweden and Finland have an outside shot....the US is a longshot. I like Canada's chances.
    ..but you never know. A hot goalie is all it takes.
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

you better hope it's different cause Stevie Y will have egg all over his face for the moves he did and didn't make.

• Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    metsfan wrote:
    gold-usa
    sliver-Canada
    bronze-Russia

hmm.. not so sure :D

soon.. very soon.. can't wait more
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    let THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    Is that an official/personal site???? holy shit...If #19 saw that....no wonder...dressing room poison.

Lol... just on the top picture alone, the guys a tool...
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

you better hope it's different cause Stevie Y will have egg all over his face for the moves he did and didn't make.

What moves? The only possible real snub would be leaving Stamkos off, but he's young.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for the US, but I'm also pulling for Canada (when not playing the US). I've been a fan of Stevie Y's since I started watching/playing hockey in the late 80's, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    THAT mike green website is such a joke :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    The question almost always draws a smirk or a knowing smile. It's as if these players know something nobody else does.

How do you feel about nobody picking your team for the gold medal, Team USA?

"We have no problem [with] people thinking we're not going to be a contender, but all of us, to a man, believe we are," Olympic captain Jamie Langenbrunner told ESPN.com with a smirk.

"I think when teams play us they'll be thinking they should watch out for us, they'll be thinking we're a capable team with some skill," said forward Joe Pavelski. "But it's always fun to be an underdog, because everyone in our locker room knows what we're capable of."

It would indeed be a mild surprise if this edition of the U.S. Olympic hockey team captured gold in Vancouver. They don't have the overall talent and experience of Canada, Russia and Sweden. But they've got skill, the right level of cockiness and, most importantly, the best goaltending since the Mike Richter era.

Beware, hockey world: This team believes in each other. Here are 10 things you need to know about Team USA:

1. The goalie
    Vezina Trophy candidate Ryan Miller is the most-often-mentioned player when anyone connected with hockey tries to predict Team USA's chances. He undoubtedly gives the Americans a chance.

"It's flattering when you hear that," Miller told ESPN.com. "I don't know how many photo sessions I've had with the American flag draped around me or behind me; it's bordering on ridiculous. You know, I'm one piece of the team. I understand the whole concept of a goalie being able to steal a game. In these tournaments, everyone starts to hype how a goalie can steal a game; just like the Stanley Cup playoffs, everybody starts to hype how a hot goalie can win you a Stanley Cup. But the team in front of you has to play solid, and the goalie almost always reflects the way his team is playing.

"You're not going to skate through a tournament or win a Stanley Cup without a team that's paying attention to detail," continued the Buffalo Sabres netminder. "So I'm going to try and hold up my end of the bargain and give my team a chance to win. And if I feel I've given them that opportunity, then I've done the best I can, and hopefully that's good enough."

Dominik Hasek at the 1998 Games in Nagano. Martin Brodeur in Salt Lake City in 2002. Henrik Lundqvist in 2006. Yes, a hot goalie can be the difference.

"Our goalie is playing well, and goaltending in that tournament is so huge," said U.S. forward Ryan Kesler. "A goalie gets hot for two weeks and you get a really good chance to win a medal, and possibly a gold medal."

Behind Miller stands reigning Vezina Trophy winner Tim Thomas and the red-hot Jonathan Quick, who is having a standout NHL season with the Kings. The Americans take a back seat to no one in goal in this tournament.

2. Youthful Yanks
    Team USA is believed to be the youngest squad in the tournament, with an average age of 26.5, although we won't officially know until all rosters are registered Monday night. There was a deliberate effort by the management team to usher in a new era. Zach Parise, Patrick Kane, Bobby Ryan, Erik Johnson … this is your time now; you are the new Mike Modano, Keith Tkachuk, Bill Guerin and Chris Chelios, and the Vancouver Olympics is your opening chapter.

The youth also translates into a lack of experience, but coach Ron Wilson chooses to embrace that fact.

"I like the youthful enthusiasm," Wilson told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "When we won the World Cup in 1996, we had easily the youngest team there. Our core players were 24 years old and less. That's essentially what this group is. At some point, you're going to crack through and win something where you don't have any experience, and suddenly you do after you've won something. I like the youthful enthusiasm, because on paper maybe we can't match up with some people in terms of experience, but that doesn't matter to a young group of guys. They don't care about that."

Well, what else is the coach going to say? The bottom line is, this is where the Americans might show cracks. This is the biggest stage of all, in perhaps the tournament of our lifetime for the sport of hockey, and you really don't know for sure how these youngsters will react and perform under that kind of spotlight. They've never seen anything like this before.

3. A balanced lineup
    Team USA GM Brian Burke and his management team did not select an All-Star team; they tried to select a team. While star players on other countries' teams will be asked to play different roles, especially those for Russia, Sweden and Canada, the feeling with Team USA is that the players picked will be able to resume very similar roles to those they have on their NHL teams.

"Yes, I like the balance that we have in our lineup," Wilson said. "I think we have goal-scoring, I think we've got grit, I think we've got guys who can play on the power play and guys who are really good at killing penalties. We have balance; that's one area nobody really looks at. I can't say that we can throw out four high-powered lines like maybe a Canada or a Russia, but I think we have balance, a nice blend and mix."

4. Where size matters
    There were some pretty talented forwards left off this team, notably the likes of T.J. Oshie, Tim Connolly, Brian Gionta and Scott Gomez. But that's because Burke wanted to have some more beef in his ranks, as well. That's why David Backes and Ryan Malone, among others, are on the team. It's also why a rugged defenseman like Tim Gleason got the call to replace the injured Mike Komisarek.

"When we're playing Canada, for example, their top line -- let's say it's the [Joe] Thornton line -- you have to have the physical capability of being able to bang with those guys and make it difficult," Wilson said. "Smaller guys, we'd get eaten up by the Thornton line. … It's different than the previous three Olympic tournaments; you couldn't go out there and really start banging on a big rink and not eventually pay a price for it.

"We're not going to be running people or anything like that, but it's being able to be along the boards with a Joe Thornton or a Ryan Getzlaf and not being pushed out of the way."

5. The captain
    Langenbrunner gets goose bumps when he pictures himself skating on the Canada Hockey Place ice with the "C" on his Team USA jersey.

"Yeah, I've thought about it," Langenbrunner said. "It's an honor. It's something that, until I actually pull the jersey over and see it on there, it may not quite sink in."

Is there enough leadership on this team? Defenseman Brian Rafalski is the old goat on the team at age 36 and brings a wealth of experience and leadership. Dustin Brown is an NHL captain, Kesler is a big leader in Vancouver and Chris Drury largely made this team because of his leadership skills.

6. The "Miracle" anniversary
    It's been 30 years without an Olympic men's hockey gold medal for the United States, 30 years since the "Miracle" upset against the former Soviet Union that may never be matched. That 30-year anniversary is an easy motivational tool for this year's team.

"It's awesome. I've watched the movie; I've watched the actual game [on tape]," said Kesler, who was born four and half years after the "Miracle" game. "We're not a bunch of amateur players; we're professionals, but it's a chance to write our own script. We're not favored going in there, but we're going to leave everything out there."

7. The link to the 1996 World Cup
    The "Miracle" talk is fine and dandy, but the truth is the more relevant link for these players is the 1996 World Cup of Hockey, the biggest U.S. hockey victory since 1980 and one that also featured NHL players. Best on best. And it just so happens that the same coach is behind the bench this time around as '96.

"We don't have many guys on this team who watched, if any, the 1980 Olympics," Wilson said. "To them, it's the movie, and the coach isn't Herb Brooks, it's Kurt Russell. But the 1996 team is relevant to these guys because they would have been kids and watched it.

"They've maybe played with Keith Tkachuk or Mike Modano or Bill Guerin along the way. Those guys have told the stories, and everybody knows about that team. And I guess I'm the bridge now from that team to this one. We'll try to create the same sort of atmosphere."

8. A key injury
    Everyone is saying the right things, but losing Paul Martin was a major blow to the Americans. He's arguably the best all-around blueliner in the NHL with a U.S. passport.

"That one is going to hurt somewhat, although not as much as in the past, because we do have depth," Wilson said. "Ryan Whitney [Martin's replacement] over the last few years has established himself certainly as a top-four defenseman, and maybe even deserved to be on the team that we announced on New Year's Day."

9. Go, go, go
    Team USA wants to play an up-tempo style, a go-go-go system that will maximize one of the team's greatest strengths: speed.

"We've got really good speed that can match up with anybody," Wilson said. "We don't want to sit back and try to win games 2-1 or 1-0. We want to be able to pressure the puck up the ice, and if we don't have it, we're constantly in hot pursuit to get the puck back."

10. Still, they're underdogs
    We end it where we started it. There are many things to like about this young and skilled Team USA outfit, but they remain underdogs going into Vancouver. Those are the facts.

"We're not underdogs by design; we're underdogs," Burke said. "There's not going to be a penny bet on this team. We know that and we accept that. We have much more faith in our group than the public's going to have. But in this tournament, all the money is going to be on Canada and Russia, and to a lesser extent on Sweden. And the pressure on Canada, being the clear favorite and playing on home soil, is going to be unbelievable."

There's a definite chip on the collective shoulders of this team.

"I guess you would like to be considered with a bit more respect," Miller said. "But we do have a team that has to prove itself. We have a lot of guys going to their first Olympics, and it's also a young team. I don't think we are without skill. I think we have a lot of talent, and we're going to have a lot of players that are hungry to play. I think that if we can come together and click in that system that Ron Wilson has been talking about, it's going to be up-tempo and puck pressure and puck control. If we can commit to that and we can execute it, I think that teams are going to have a hard time with us."

Pierre LeBrun covers the NHL for ESPN.com.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    that article does a good job showing that it is a goalies show.

hasek/brodeur/lunqvist owned in the past 3 olympics.

and miller has to be the strongest US goalie since richter's olympic days.

i don't know about gold, but i would be shocked if they aren't playing in the bronze medal game.
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I doubt he will have egg on his face, he selected a good group of players. You could pick a second team from Canada and compete for a medal. I only 2 players I 2nd guess was Stamkos and Green, after seeing that Green website just proved the Stevie Y did his homework, as for Stamkos he's young and we'll see him in 2014. If Pronger stays out of the penalty box then he be a huge asset.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The NHL had better be praying for a US vs. Canada final. It would help the sport immensely in the US markets with all of the exposure it would generate.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    The NHL had better be praying for a US vs. Canada final. It would help the sport immensely in the US markets with all of the exposure it would generate.
    Originally I had:
    Gold Canada
    Silver Russia
    Bronze Sweden

I checked both Russia and Sweden's roster, Now I think it could be Canada vs US Gold Medal Game.

Russian roster is very offence oriented.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    Originally I had:
    Gold Canada
    Silver Russia
    Bronze Sweden

I checked both Russia and Sweden's roster, Now I think it could be Canada vs US Gold Medal Game.

THE KING STOLE IT IN 06 AND HE IS HOT RIGHT NOW ;)
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354

true, that's our philosophy. but if you look at the defense line, there's only 2 attacking d-men there - Gonchar and Markov. others are 2-way or stay-at-home guys
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    1) Russia
    2) Canada
    3) Sweden

USA will do nothing. Canada will choke. Sweden is dangerous but how much can Forsberg really have left - will they be forced to play him a lot even though he might not be very good anymore?
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    1) Russia
    2) Canada
    3) Sweden

USA will do nothing. Canada will choke. Sweden is dangerous but how much can Forsberg really have left - will they be forced to play him a lot even though he might not be very good anymore?

SWEDEN GOES AS FAR AS KING HENRIK TAKES THEM