Options

2010 Olympics: Men's Hockey

Comments

• Options
    You're calling Staal a lock? Was that after watching tonight's performance? Interesting...he's had a disappointing year, I have him in my fantasy pool damnit...

HNIC's staff poll picks:
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2 ... picks.html

nah i didnt even see he had 5 points until after, sure he has had an off year but still, were talking about a 4th line center on this team, he can put pucks in the net, set up and he is defensively responsible. Stevie Y already said they arent looking for one dimensional players and Staal is great in both ends of the rink.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Ok that panel is a bunch of idiots, Healy said David Clarkson would make it if it wasnt for his injury this year. Just coz Cassie Campbell won a few golds at the olympics mean she knows shit about the NHL, shes an idiot too. PJ stock? Seriously, have you even watched the guy try to do highlights? been punched in the head too many times. Milbury? This guy traded Chara and Spezza for Yashin and then signed him to a deal the Isles are still paying while he sits in his cushy chair and his cushy job on CBC, oh and i dont need to mention the Luongo trade either or trading Luongo and picking Dipietro instead of keeping Luongo and drafting Heatley or Gaborik. Who else? Scott Oake? seriously, the guy was paired was Marc Crawford, they give him the after hours show they know no one watches. Morrisson and that other guy get all their info from the interwebz. Don Cherry? that senile old bugger? coached one good season in the NHL and hes a god here in canada, gets bailed out by ron mclean all the time. might be the most ignoarnt person in the history of the sport.

the only people who know what the fuck is going on on that panel is hughson and freidman. dont even get me started on craig simpson either, i would probably try to punch him in the face if i saw him on the street. guy is a moron. a bag of broken sticks could score 50 goals playing with gretz and mess in their prime.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    :lol:
    Tell us how you really feel about HNIC...Saturday nights must be torture for you! :D
    Just be glad MacT wasn't on the panel.....us Oiler fans got to watch him call Horcoff his Oly team darkhorse on tsn earlier this year. my tv nearly went out the window.

I gotta agree on PJ Stock tho...he looks stunned every time he 'goes live'. He can make it thru the highlights without making a total ass of himself....but I swear, as soon as the red light above the camera comes on, he has flashbacks, or suffers some kind of deer-in-headlights effect...
  • Options
    That made me look....Canada's tv coverage team for CTV:
    http://www.ctvolympics.ca/about-us/tale ... ens+hockey

Tried to find the NBC / US announcers, but couldn't....looks like they lost a bunch of their guys from '06 since they're now under contract to TSN (same ownership as CTV).
  • Options
    Loubardias is terrible, his voice goes up at really weird times like for instance " the puck deep goes in THE zone" Its so random and terrible. Other then its solid. I like Miller and Cuthbert but Miller is such a homer. CBC should never have let Cuthbert go. He should be doing the late games now, Mark Lee is fucking terrible.

For analyst I hate, hate, hate Macguire. Love Garrett coz im a canucks homer and i love ferraro coz he is so cynical.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    I honestly dont really watch HNIC unless the Canucks are playing.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    and what about the US team? any chances?
  • Options
    No....sorry
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    No....sorry

It's not my problem :)

Czech Rep. also announced its squad.. no Hudler :shock:
  • Options
    The US team will be very, very, very good in Sochi 14 if they send NHLers. This year will be a learning experience for all their young guys. Basically, for them to go anywhere, Parise and Kessel will need to score 5 goals a game and Miller needs to stand on his head.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    edited December 2009
    F
    Crosby
    Perry
    Getzlaf
    Heatley
    Thornton
    Mike Richards
    Iginla
    Nash
    Marleau
    E Staal

Bubble-Carter, Toews, Morrow, Doan, Smyth, Stamkos, J Staal, Vinny, St Louis, Brad Richards, Penner

D
    Pronger
    Weber
    Keith
    Boyle

Green
    Neidermayer

Bubble- Jbo, Doughty, Phanuef, Seabrook

G
    Brods
    Luongo
    Fleury
    Post edited by EquallyWorthless on
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    I bolded all my picks who made it. The only lock I had was Green, which I think is silly but it makes sense, they want Seabrook and Keith together and Doughty is juts playing fantastic norris trophy type hockey this year.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    edited December 2009
    I'm not surprised to see Green off there... I don't watch him every night, but he just seems like such a soft player.

The depth is amazing though, you could put together a second team with who was left off, and it would probably make it to the medal round.

Edit - I just looked at the summer camp roster and the stat leaders, and here is a team of Canadian guys who missed the cut for Team Canada...

Forwards:
    Jeff Carter
    Jordan Staal
    Patrick Sharp
    Vinny Lecavalier
    Steve Stamkos
    Jon Tavares
    Milan Lucic
    Shane Doan
    Jason Spezza
    Ryan Smyth
    Martin St Louis
    Brad Richards
    Paul Statsny

Defense:
    Jay Bouwmeester
    Mike Green
    Francois Beauchemin
    Dion Phaneuf
    Robyn Regehr
    Stephane Robidas
    Brian Campbell

Goal:
    Cam Ward
    Marty Turco
    Carey Price
    Post edited by blackredyellow on
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    For me the only real surprise was Brendan Morrow being included on the team.

Morrow over Jordan Staal? Sure you could say, Lecavalier, Stamkos, Sharp etc would replace Staal as a selection but here's my argument :lol:

Jordan Staal is the same type of player as Morrow, only he's younger, bigger and faster. He's better on the Pk and great on the faceoffs. He would have chemistry with Eric Staal obviously and also played some minor hockey with Mike Richards so he's more interchangeable up front then Morrow. So if you are hard set on having a player of Morrow's characteristics, they should have gone with Staal.

Granted I'm from Thunder Bay (where the Staal's are from) and my wife is related to Mike Richards so there is some biased opinions here but Morrow over Staal doesn't make all that much sense to me when you put them head to head. ;)
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options
    Wasn't that surprised about Green not making it as the Seabrook/Keith thing had been talked about a lot. the only other guys he could have bumped are Doughty (unreal year), or our captain, and that wasn't happening...
    Morrow had been mentioned a lot as a role player and was usually short listed, with either Smyth, J Staal or Doan (edit: or Fisher...or...) as options in that shutdown role...
    Bergeron is the surprise imo....he wasn't even invited to the camp - first time that's happened. hmmmmm.....Brodeur doesn't count and Fleury might not see the ice...is Bergeron our token Quebecois? ;)

BRY - ya, you could make ten Canadian teams that could pretty handily defeat seeds 8 - 12...but of the major sports in North America, hockey still has, by far, the most competitive international events. These short tournaments, with a hot goaltender....you never know...
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Well folks last NHL weekend before Olympic Hockey...

my prediction
    gold-Canada
    silver-Russia
    bronze-Sweden

I see 3 big advantages

1. I believe we have the best coaching...Mike Babcock is an a great head coach.

2. The San Jose trio...Heatley-Thorton...Marleau, they play together, no worries about them clicking

3. The 2 Chicago D...Keith and Seabrook , they know each

But once you get to the metal round anything can happen...should be a good tournament.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    it'll be a crapshoot ...

i would watch out for the americans - smaller ice surface suits their game and they don't have the pressure of playing on home ice which can be an advantage but a disadvantage as well as the pressure mounts ...

also - this kind of hockey is like the playoffs ... we don't have a lot of guys that have won anything ... who else has a ring besides brodeur, fleury, crosby and niedermayer? ... i say this tournament is wide open ...
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    PARISE has a bad back :cry:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    it'll be a crapshoot ...

i would watch out for the americans - smaller ice surface suits their game and they don't have the pressure of playing on home ice which can be an advantage but a disadvantage as well as the pressure mounts ...

also - this kind of hockey is like the playoffs ... we don't have a lot of guys that have won anything ... who else has a ring besides brodeur, fleury, crosby and niedermayer? ... i say this tournament is wide open ...

For the US to win they will need Miller to turn in a Hasek like Olympic performance, which can happen.

I just like the fact that we are able to keep one line together that has play with each other all year, plus pairing the 2 Chicago D, might give us a slight edge.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 wrote:
    For the US to win they will need Miller to turn in a Hasek like Olympic performance, which can happen.

I just like the fact that we are able to keep one line together that has play with each other all year, plus pairing the 2 Chicago D, might give us a slight edge.

thing is thornton has a history of doing nothing when it counts ... heatley and marleau aren't much better in that regard either ...

there will be loads of pressure on them too ... it's a huge burden to carry ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

thing is thornton has a history of doing nothing when it counts ... heatley and marleau aren't much better in that regard either ...

Only thing is that Thornton, Heatley & Marleau don't have to carry this team... Don't get me wrong, they have to contribute, but not like the NHL where wins depend on them producing. They got guys like Crosby, Staal, Getzlaf, Inginla who have produced in the high pressure situations.

I just don't like our chances in the US with how Miller has been playing (and the weaker defense with injuries).
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    pretty excited for this year's tournament. it will be a nice break from my slap dick rangers :)

and it seems there isn't one strong favorite. lots of countries have strong squads and have a legit shot at winning.
  • Options

Only thing is that Thornton, Heatley & Marleau don't have to carry this team... Don't get me wrong, they have to contribute, but not like the NHL where wins depend on them producing. They got guys like Crosby, Staal, Getzlaf, Inginla who have produced in the high pressure situations.

Getzlaf is likely out - high ankle sprain. They'll make the call last minute, but already stated that Jeff Carter will replace him if he can't go. They also annonced that after Carter, the replacements are: Stamkos and St.Louis at forward, and JBo and Stephane Robidas on D.

Should be interesting to see if Forsberg plays or if he (or anyone else) steps aside to let Franzen play. Frig, I looked into his recovery about a month ago and it sounded like he'd be back before the Oly's...I don't know why Sweden didn't just take the risk and name him....unless they have a plan...Forsberg is Sweden's flag bearer, so that might be why he's in Van even if he can't play...we'll see. Almost time!
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    it will be a nice break from my slap dick rangers :)
    LOL
  • Options
    Try being an Oil fan :roll:
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Heatley has played well in international hockey, from my understanding they are going to be the fourth line, and unlike the NHL club Canada will have 4 strong lines, so they will not likely attack the other teams top checking line, and if they do that will free up Crosby, Staal and others. anytime you enter a short tournament it's a crap shoot.

• Options

Getzlaf is likely out - high ankle sprain. They'll make the call last minute, but already stated that Jeff Carter will replace him if he can't go. They also annonced that after Carter, the replacements are: Stamkos and St.Louis at forward, and JBo and Stephane Robidas on D.

Should be interesting to see if Forsberg plays or if he (or anyone else) steps aside to let Franzen play. Frig, I looked into his recovery about a month ago and it sounded like he'd be back before the Oly's...I don't know why Sweden didn't just take the risk and name him....unless they have a plan...Forsberg is Sweden's flag bearer, so that might be why he's in Van even if he can't play...we'll see. Almost time!

I hope he can play, he's a big time player.

• Options
    ya, he'd be a big loss, but like you say....it's a crapshoot. Carter, Stamkos and St.Louis are all game breakers...who knows how it could affect things. I just hope we make it thru the last few nhl games with no more inuries to olympians from any country...no fun if any top players aren't there.
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    But once you get to the metal round anything can happen...
    metalface.jpg
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • Options
    i mean im usa all tha way but realisticly? doubtful

i am stoked brooksy made the team and its great to have pittsburgh native ryan malone in the games too

wish gogo had made the cut, saw his name in the power rankings for d someone listed in this thread but i think thats s'posed to be orpik, no? i also thought i heard somethin about j stall makin it as an injury alternate or somethin but i guess not

since usa is unlikely to win (im hopin for a medal game at least) i s'pose (hope) i'll be rootin for my boy cap'n sid and our neighbors to the north in the final game
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here