*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    The embrace between Doc and Doug Collins at the end said it all. Great game. Great series. Cheers to the sixers on a great season and great series. You guys took us the distance and really emerged as the best young team in the east, if not the league. There will be a lot of great years ahead for the Sixers with this core of players.

congrats. that was a tough one to swallow last night because i thought the sixers just did not play very well. but boston's experience paid off. those 2 rondo shots at the end sealed it.

fun season. they exceeded expectations and it looks like jrue has emerged as the leader of this team...which is encouraging.

interesting off season ahead. one sixers blog i read was talking about an iguadala for kanter/bell/watson and their 1st. doubt they'd get that much but his stock is pretty high right now. let the rumors commence...
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    Great season guys! Nothing to be ashamed of. Got farther than what a lot of experts thought we would.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    Any way they could get Dwight Howard???(how about that RUMOR> :lol: )

The embrace between Doc and Doug Collins at the end said it all. Great game. Great series. Cheers to the sixers on a great season and great series. You guys took us the distance and really emerged as the best young team in the east, if not the league. There will be a lot of great years ahead for the Sixers with this core of players.

congrats. that was a tough one to swallow last night because i thought the sixers just did not play very well. but boston's experience paid off. those 2 rondo shots at the end sealed it.

fun season. they exceeded expectations and it looks like jrue has emerged as the leader of this team...which is encouraging.

interesting off season ahead. one sixers blog i read was talking about an iguadala for kanter/bell/watson and their 1st. doubt they'd get that much but his stock is pretty high right now. let the rumors commence...
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319

Well said. I wholly concur.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Other than 2001, this 'run' was the deepest the sixers have gone in the playoffs since 1986 :lol: . Just a horrid franchise.

this team needs to make major changes this offseason. this is not the kind of move that is going to help them.

rumors are already brewing about a potential deal with the Lakers that would send Iguodala to Los Angeles for big man Gasol. There certainly makes sense for both teams given the contracts of the two players (Gasol is owed $38 million over the next two years) as well as the fact that Iguodala and Lakers’ star Kobe Bryant share the same agent.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Other than 2001, this 'run' was the deepest the sixers have gone in the playoffs since 1986 :lol: . Just a horrid franchise.

this team needs to make major changes this offseason. this is not the kind of move that is going to help them.

rumors are already brewing about a potential deal with the Lakers that would send Iguodala to Los Angeles for big man Gasol. There certainly makes sense for both teams given the contracts of the two players (Gasol is owed $38 million over the next two years) as well as the fact that Iguodala and Lakers’ star Kobe Bryant share the same agent.

i like Iggy and all but i would do this in a heartbeat.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    The Fixer wrote:

Nah, they can get more than gasol. He's on the downside of his career. He's also soft as shit (especially defensively), which is one area that this team deserately needs to fix.

Sixers are a young team that's not close to winning anything. Gasol is exactly the kind of player I'd like to see them avoid.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    this is the problem for the sixers ... there is some decent mid-range talent on this team ... guys who if they accept their roles could be part of a championship team ... but there is no main piece to build around here ...

basketball is the only sport (mainly cuz you only play like 8 guys) that dictates the necessity for top end talent ... these days - only way you can get that talent is through the lottery or potentially FA where if you're lucky - you get 2-3 years of prime ...

unfortunately for the sixers ... the eastern conference is soooo bad that it's hard to lose 60 games in this conference unless you hire jordan as your gm and have major injuries ... it's near impossible to play hard and lose 60 games in the eastern conference with a full roster ...

if it were me ... i would definitely trade iggy for draft picks and expiring contracts ... try and deal turner for a first rounder ... the reality is with turner is that he is not that good ... decent player but he has limited upside ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    this is the problem for the sixers ... there is some decent mid-range talent on this team ... guys who if they accept their roles could be part of a championship team ... but there is no main piece to build around here ...

basketball is the only sport (mainly cuz you only play like 8 guys) that dictates the necessity for top end talent ... these days - only way you can get that talent is through the lottery or potentially FA where if you're lucky - you get 2-3 years of prime ...

unfortunately for the sixers ... the eastern conference is soooo bad that it's hard to lose 60 games in this conference unless you hire jordan as your gm and have major injuries ... it's near impossible to play hard and lose 60 games in the eastern conference with a full roster ...

if it were me ... i would definitely trade iggy for draft picks and expiring contracts ... try and deal turner for a first rounder ... the reality is with turner is that he is not that good ... decent player but he has limited upside ...

completely agree.

personally I'd like to see them clean house. Let williams, hawes walk. Trade Iguodala (for young pieces like you said). I'm actually fine with them keeping brand around for another year. Sounds like the FA class is going to be much better in the summer of '13 than it is this year. PLus there is always a chance that they could get something for him at the trade deadline (I know it wouldn't be much). They're not winning anything next year, so I don't see the rush to push him out the door at this point (would have loved to see them amnesty him last offseason)

I wouldn't be opposed to trading turner either. He should be a decent player, but he's never going to justify his contract. Ironically, he is setting up to be similar to iguodala in that respect.

Big offseason. I'd rather them take a step or two bacwards than overcommitt to their current core, which is obviously lacking

Should be interesting
    edited May 2012
    The Fixer wrote:

i'd rather keep iguadala than trade him for gasol at this point. that seems like a lateral move to me. my buddy loves gasol and we had a pretty decent argument after about 11 games of beer pong on sunday. he could make them a slightly better team next year...depending on whatever moves they make. but he's soft. he's old. and i think he would be unmotivated after playing with bean and the lakers for the last few years.

if i were the sixers, i'd be on the phone all day/night with the utah jazz. they need back court help, we need front court help. 2 young teams that appear to be headed in the right direction. seems like there is some way a deal can be had between these franchises.

i've heard rumors that the new owners may not keep thorn around much longer. now there is a story that he may be "retiring." :think: :think:

and doug should be extended soon.

huge off-season! can't wait to get the finals over and done with so we can see what happens
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    kenny olav wrote:

Well said. I wholly concur.

well look at that. the boston puker has graced us with his presence. :lol:

thank you! nice to see the rivalry rekindled. it was fun.
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Danny Ferry
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    81 wrote:
    Danny Ferry
    Barkley said today he'd have interest as well.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    81 wrote:
    Danny Ferry
    He can probably still shoot the 3 better than Meeks.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Looks like Thorn is on the way out of his current role. Can't believe bringing the ex-Nets exec team to philly didn't work :roll:

Apparently Barkley is interested in the GM job. Not sure if that's the best idea, but it sure would be entertaining.

Whatever they do, I'm glad they seem determined to change things up (again). Hopefully they get it right this time...for once
    so that's what happens when you go into the draft with no gm...

1 - you draft an undersized player who can't shoot (to add to your surplus of said players)
    2 - you give up a 1st round pick for a guy drafted in the late 20's (who has questions about motor, toughness, and ability to score)
    3 - they really went into a draft with no gm

unreal

#endlesscycleofmediocrity

can't wait til they re-sign hawes and williams
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    BX
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    BX

no idea what that means. I'm guessing it's some kind of laughter
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    BX

Bronx...actually from Queens, so I lied, I'm an idiot.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    BX

Bronx...actually from Queens, so I lied, I'm an idiot.

well, after seeing a team go into a draft without a gm...then make a questionable pick and trade away a first rounder...nothing surprises me (I'm guessing you were referring to harkless)

will prob be another decade before this team wins a playoff series.
    this article sums it up pretty well. this team has done a great job setting itself up to remain irrelevant for the foreseeable future. I guess that's what happens when you go into the offseason/draft without a GM :roll:

the endless cycle of mediocrity and cluelessness continues...

What's going on in Philadelphia?The Sixers will use amnesty on Elton Brand, reached deal with Nick YoungUpdated: July 6, 2012, 9:38 PM ETBy John Hollinger | ESPN.com Recommend13Comments70EmailPrint

Howard Smith/US Presswire
    Elton Brand averaged just 11 points per game last season for the Sixers.Who's ready for some amnesty auctions?

Philadelphia got the ball rolling Friday by announcing it will exercise its amnesty rights on Elton Brand's contract, but Minnesota (Darko Milicic), Phoenix (Josh Childress) and perhaps the Lakers (Metta World Peace) also seem like strong candidates to get involved.

However, let's get back to the Sixers, who used their amnesty rights on Brand and announced they'd be parting ways with Lou Williams, then said they reached a one-year deal with Nick Young.

What, exactly, are they going for here? Even after the amnesty, Philly has just $7 million in cap room, which is perhaps enough to put in a bid for the likes of Ersan Ilyasova or Kris Humphries, but if you're going to do that, you might as well ride out another year with Brand, right?

Even more puzzling is the timing. If Philly had decided to use its amnesty rights on Brand a week ago and not bothered with Young or the recent two-year, $13 million deal with Spencer Hawes, the Sixers were looking at max cap space and the chance to lure a top free agent. Not a great chance, perhaps, but a chance.

(One other thing: If Philly hadn't lazily given Lavoy Allen a one-year deal rather than a team option for the second and third years, like virtually every other team does with every second-round pick, it wouldn't be in this pickle. Philly had to re-sign Allen with its midlevel exception, which meant it had to sign Nick Young with cap space, which meant it had to use its amnesty rights on Brand once the Sixers decided they liked Young better than Lou Williams. This, ladies and gentlemen, is a front office flying by the seat of its pants.)

Now? Best-case scenario, the Sixers are looking at signing somebody almost as good as Brand. One wonders whether another move is waiting around the corner -- an Andre Iguodala trade, perhaps, or some other move that will allow us to make sense of all this.

NBA Free Agency
    NBA free agency is under way, and ESPN.com has you covered with all the latest deals, trades and potential moves.
    Free agents | Trade Targets | RC

• Insider: Free-agent PER rankings
    • More: TrueHoop | Trade Machine

Certainly, there is a financial component. The 76ers still have to pay Brand's salary, but only the part that isn't picked up in amnesty auction. With Dallas hungry to spend some of its free-agent money without tying itself up for another dip in the pond next year, the Mavs are a prime candidate to bid high on Brand; this perhaps will save Philly as much as half its wage bill for his salary.

But in the longer term, it's not clear how these moves help unless the Sixers trade Iggy and angle to become a player in the 2013 free-agent market. If they deal him for expiring contracts, they could make a run at Dwight Howard or Chris Paul -- unlikely, but worth a shot, right? -- and would have max-ish cap space even with the cap hold on Jrue Holiday.

Alternatively, in the short term, perhaps they can interest the Magic in a Holiday-Young-Iguodala trade package for Howard and gamble that he likes cheesesteaks.

Again, I'm trying to make sense out of the senseless; I see no obvious endgame for the Sixers out of this and am equally puzzled by the timing, but perhaps there's one that eludes my reasoning here.

As for Brand, because he has only one year left on his deal, he'll get some big bids at the amnesty auction. Portland likely will bid whatever cap space it has left at that time -- depending on timing and how the offer sheets go, it might not be much -- but I'd put Dallas as a strong favorite.

The Mavs have a little more than $10 million in cap space, and while they'll likely invest some of it in a point guard, the rest can be put to a bid on Brand. If they're feeling really cheeky, they can use their amnesty rights on Brendan Haywood and virtually guarantee they'll win the Brand auction. And with a one-year deal, Brand wouldn't interfere with Dallas' ultimate plans to either trade for or sign a superstar such as Howard.

Among other potential bidders, Cleveland is below the league's salary floor, and might figure Brand's leadership and experience will help. Houston still will have $6.6 million in cap space, even with its bids to Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin, and would need only to renounce Courtney Lee's Bird rights -- not a problem because the Rockets would be re-signing him under the cap anyway -- to use it on a Brand rental.

Indiana has more than $12 million in space right now, although the Pacers want to use a big chunk of it on a shooting guard such as O.J. Mayo or, ironically, Williams. Still, they probably could bid safely up to $5 million.

Other less likely potential participants include Milwaukee, Sacramento, New Orleans and Toronto. And finally, let me mock Washington one more time. Rather than taking on Emeka Okafor's gargantuan $26 million for the next two years, the Wizards could have up to $10 million available to bid on Brand for a one-year deal that wouldn't mess up their 2013-14 cap space; that amount almost certainly would be a winning bid.

They'd also have a better player and one who could actually play power forward. Remember, cap space isn't just about free agents; Washington's thinking that way cost it.
    Kwame Brown :roll: :roll:

Not exactly a move i saw coming.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    I don't love this move. But I don't hate it either. 2 yrs., 6 mil, is absolutely nothing.
    I don't love this move. But I don't hate it either. 2 yrs., 6 mil, is absolutely nothing.
    Yeah but i read they wanna start Brown and start/move Hawes to PF.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Wait a minute - it's 6 mil for the one season. Yep, awful move. Awful, terrible; beyond awful and terrible combined.
    Wait a minute - it's 6 mil for the one season. Yep, awful move. Awful, terrible; beyond awful and terrible combined.

i thought it was 3 and 3?

although asik is getting 15M in three years. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i thought it was 3 and 3?

although asik is getting 15M in three years. :fp:

Actually, I'm not sure what report to believe but I'm reading it's 1 yr. 6 mil with an option for the second. None of the reports are too clear in clarifying this - if it's option A I'm okay with it; if it's option B then fuck this.
    i think the 6M for the year is the right number. :fp: :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i think the 6M for the year is the right number. :fp: :lol:

Awful. I don't even know that happens. I feel like the Sixers are Kramer when he's in negotiations after he gets burned by his coffee.

And, yeah, that kind of money for Asik is stupid too.
    Kwame Brown :roll: :roll:

Not exactly a move i saw coming.

nope :?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA