Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,082
    So.

I'll pay for it.  What version of Kind of Blue pressing is the best?  I want to buy it and listen for myself.  Then I;ll buy an inferior copy.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,684
    So.

I'll pay for it.  What version of Kind of Blue pressing is the best?  I want to buy it and listen for myself.  Then I;ll buy an inferior copy.
    I think the two best options are the UHQR from AP which is expensive.  The second best,  for me,  is the Ryan Smith mono,  which is cheap.  

I also have have the MOFI and the KPG stereo 33. Both excellent,  but for me it's the other two,  depending on preference for stereo v mono and the price point. 
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    So.

UHQR
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    So.

I think the two best options are the UHQR from AP which is expensive.  The second best,  for me,  is the Ryan Smith mono,  which is cheap.  

I also have have the MOFI and the KPG stereo 33. Both excellent,  but for me it's the other two,  depending on preference for stereo v mono and the price point. 
    MedozK said:
    So.

UHQR
    I'll try and find that.

For eabay sales the OG mono is pretty spendy.  Is that just because it's a first press?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    So.

MedozK said:
    So.

UHQR
    I'll try and find that.

For eabay sales the OG mono is pretty spendy.  Is that just because it's a first press?
    Not the OG mono.  I wouldn't get that.  That will be spendy and generally in terrible condition.  

This mono..  https://www.discogs.com/release/5142904-Miles-Davis-Kind-Of-Blue
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,987
    edited July 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    So.

Seconded.

also have the same records, except instead of the the KpG stereo I have an OP mono in VG+ condition. And yes, the new Ryan Smith cut is better than it. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    So.

Seconded.

also have the same records, except instead of the the KpG stereo I have an OP mono in VG+ condition. And yes, the new Ryan Smith cut is better than it. 
    This is good to know.  I figured it would be true based on better wax, newer wax, and more information on the plating than you would have from a record from 65 years ago.  Nice to be confirmed though.  The RKS is evidently second generation, as the original monos are in too poor condition to work with.  So they made a tape of that tape, is my understanding.  
  • Options
    I’ve read the same. 

Happy that they keep it pressed and pressed well. I got mine on RSD all those years ago, but it’s too good to be limited. 
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    edited July 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shg0780YgAE

Mobile Fidelity - Interview on Mastering With Shawn Britton, Krieg Wunderlich & Rob LoVerde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl15-RC3wMU

Michael Fremer Reacts to Mofi Interview 
    Post edited by pjpjpaul on
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    edited July 2022
    I have the 2010 Legacy which sounds great to me.  No doubt not the best, but the best for my money:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    lol. So after all this, they cut from digital.
  • Options
    They brought a DAC with them right?
  • Options
    I believe so.
  • Options
    Fremer is so bitter he didn’t get this scoop
  • Options
    They brought a DAC with them right?
    That's an interesting point you are making.  So I don't have time to watch all of these, so my comments are based on the comments here.  

I'm presuming they admit that the chain is digitized at some point.  But my guess is that they are converting the digital source back to analog tape before cutting the lacquer.  Is that correct?

If that's the case, then I would not argue that this is no better than a CD or other digital artifact.  It is likely still much better than what we would hear digitally because we would be reliant on our DACs.  And one would think that MOFIs DAC is far superior to consumer level.  

Last night I finally got a chance to listen to my Brothers in Arms MOFI vinyl.  I already had it on a MOFI SACD rip and I compared the two.  There's no question the vinyl is better.  And my assessment (knowing that it was a digital chain) is that the DAC is the difference.  And mine is no slouch, as I have the Mcintosh DA2.
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155

• Options
    The existential crises at the Hoffman forums is amazing.
  • Options
    Yea, I'm hoping to pick up some MFSLs on the cheap.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,931
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So.

MedozK said:
    So.

UHQR
    I'll try and find that.

Not the OG mono.  I wouldn't get that.  That will be spendy and generally in terrible condition.  

This mono..  https://www.discogs.com/release/5142904-Miles-Davis-Kind-Of-Blue

stellar..... and inexpensive
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

LOL.  180 pages and counting of existential crisis! 
    MedozK said:
    Yea, I'm hoping to pick up some MFSLs on the cheap.

I would love to find something good by someone I'm a fan of on MOFI.  Thus far, I have zero MOFI!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,931
    reading through that thread. so far its fairly reasonable back and forth. but this was just great....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    reading through that thread. so far its fairly reasonable back and forth. but this was just great....

Haha!  Yeah, I read both of those posts yesterday.  Cracked me up!  :lol:

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    The harshest penalties will come from those with the most bruised ego.

The parallel thread started by SH over there on overlapped tracks is pretty good reading too. Basically says every track which features overlapping intros or outros will suffer from generation loss.

Im kinda “don’t want to see where the sausage is made” but I’d be fine avoiding MoFi if they show a pattern of misleading. Look forward to the cliffs notes version.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    I still think it is ok for MFSL to use the "Mastered from the Original Master Tapes", because they are, they are just converting to 4xDSD before they cut. Where they REALLY mess up is when the use the line "Mastered Directly from the Original Master Tape", because that is false.

But lots of people assumed AAA, and you know what assuming does. I am a little disappointed not entirely surprised. But I will definitely keep buying MFSL, cause in lots of examples they are the best sounding.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    Agreed. 

People are too precious with this stuff. What’s nice is that it has basically exposed people who thought they could detect analog from well mastered digital. It’s all a grift. Just enjoy the tunes cut well. 
  • Options
    Agreed. 

People are too precious with this stuff. What’s nice is that it has basically exposed people who thought they could detect analog from well mastered digital. It’s all a grift. Just enjoy the tunes cut well. 

I used to be one of those people who could distinguish between analog recordings and CDs, but that was over 30 years ago before my hearing got trashed (in September of '93), and before the big improvements made in digital recording.  I still find I don't get listening fatigue as quickly with most records (even newer digitally sourced LPs), than I do with CD or, particularly MP3 type sound. I suspect that has as much to do with compression as anything.   On a good day, in one sitting, I can listen to vinyl for up to maybe 45 or 50 minutes.  I can almost never listen to a CD for that long.    I could probably go longer with higher end equipment and maybe with SACDs.  But I'm good with vinyl.

"People are too precious with this stuff."
    LOL, I agree.  I guess that's OK if it's something someone is that passionate about, but sometimes it's a little bit like going wine tasting and some guy at the counter is going on about "the perfectly balanced tannins" and the "blowsy taste up front and an aftertaste with a hint of blackberry on the nose".  I'm more like, Yeah, whatever.  I either like it or I don't, lol.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Agreed. 

I used to be one of those people who could distinguish between analog recordings and CDs, but that was over 30 years ago before my hearing got trashed (in September of '93), and before the big improvements made in digital recording.  I still find I don't get listening fatigue as quickly with most records (even newer digitally sourced LPs), than I do with CD or, particularly MP3 type sound. I suspect that has as much to do with compression as anything.   On a good day, in one sitting, I can listen to vinyl for up to maybe 45 or 50 minutes.  I can almost never listen to a CD for that long.    I could probably go longer with higher end equipment and maybe with SACDs.  But I'm good with vinyl.

"People are too precious with this stuff."
    LOL, I agree.  I guess that's OK if it's something someone is that passionate about, but sometimes it's a little bit like going wine tasting and some guy at the counter is going on about "the perfectly balanced tannins" and the "blowsy taste up front and an aftertaste with a hint of blackberry on the nose".  I'm more like, Yeah, whatever.  I either like it or I don't, lol.

I can hear the difference on songs that are MP3 for sure.  That one Metallica album where the highs are too high.  That wasn't analog I don't think?

Some records do sound better on vinyl, they just do.  Meh, just make me good quality records.
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    Anyone picking up something from the “Michigan collection” acoustic sounds just bought? 

Priced a bit high on the stuff I want, actually cheaper on eBay.  The MOFI is all that’s listed so far.

impressive collection in any case 
  • Options
    Anyone picking up something from the “Michigan collection” acoustic sounds just bought? 

Priced a bit high on the stuff I want, actually cheaper on eBay.  The MOFI is all that’s listed so far.

Yea, their pre-owned stuff is crazy high.
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited July 2022
    MedozK said:

Yea, their pre-owned stuff is crazy high.
    It’s weird because, objectively AP is a bargain these days Vs most records.  40 bucks for a 33rpm and 60 for a 45.  When your standard record is now 40 bucks probably on average, pressed by united or wherever, it’s a really good value 

I guess that doesn’t translate into pre owned 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on