Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Los Angeles 1 5.22.24
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,650
    Mars Volta!!! Nicely done!! Play them loud!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    My signed copy and test press from Jon Batiste finally showed up after 6 months.  Woohoo!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
    DMB - Crash just arrived yesterday. Looking forward to listening to it this weekend.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 637
    May 30th said:
    Mars Volta!!! Nicely done!! Play them loud!
    Loud is the ONLY way. Vinyl Me Please just had a $25 off deal, so I was able to pick these two up much cheaper than they normally go for. 
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 4.13.12
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Los Angeles 1 5.22.24
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    That’s awesome. I saw the reissues here in Calgary for close to $100 each. 

I still have my originals so I passed on the reissues; they had some sticker that said glow in the dark vinyl or something. 

Where is the Idlewild from?
  • Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 637
    May 30th said:

I still have my originals so I passed on the reissues; they had some sticker that said glow in the dark vinyl or something. 

Yeah, there is a glow-in-the-dark version of Frances out there, but I've heard it was a bit noisy. The VMP version is red with black smoke. Looks killer and hopefully sounds good.

Idlewild was just reissued for its 20th anniversary. It's available from Rhino here in the states (not sure about in CA), and they have copies of Warnings/Promises in stock too. I've been patiently awaiting a vinyl reissue of The Remote Part ever since I saw them open for PJ in '03. Ecstatic to finally have it and it sounds fantastic.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 4.13.12
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Los Angeles 1 5.22.24
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    DC29940 said:
    May 30th said:

Yeah, there is a glow-in-the-dark version of Frances out there, but I've heard it was a bit noisy. The VMP version is red with black smoke. Looks killer and hopefully sounds good.

Idlewild was just reissued for its 20th anniversary. It's available from Rhino here in the states (not sure about in CA), and they have copies of Warnings/Promises in stock too. I've been patiently awaiting a vinyl reissue of The Remote Part ever since I saw them open for PJ in '03. Ecstatic to finally have it and it sounds fantastic.
    I saw them open in Vancouver 2003. Picked up Remote Part when PJ announced them as openers months before. Love that album. Will try and find it up here. Thanks man. 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
     Really hoping 100 Broken Windows would get a reissue. I’ll keep waiting. 
    How does The Remote Part sound? The use of recycled vinyl doesn’t often yield great results
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,706
    edited July 2022

blues set is missing a record.... the piano group

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177
    DC29940 said:
    I have the VMP version and it looks and sounds amazing. You’re gonna love it.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,766
    mickeyrat said:

blues set is missing a record.... the piano group

Like the Smithsonian collection. Has that great book and shows the evolution of the music from bluesy to jazzy. 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,911
    New Beyonce album just showed up. yessssssssss
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687

Not meaning to burst your bubble, Tim, but you might want to check this out first:

When Beyoncé dropped the same ableist slur as Lizzo on her new album, my heart sank

Hannah Diviney

It’s not very often that I don’t know what to say, rendered speechless by ignorance, sadness and a simmering anger born of bone-deep exhaustion. But that’s how I feel right now.

Six weeks ago I called out American singer, Lizzo, on Twitter for her use of an ableist slur (“spaz”) in a new song. That tweet of mine – which explained how the slur was connected to my disability, cerebral palsy – took me less than five minutes to write and it went viral, landing on the front page of global news outlets including the BBC, New York Times and the Washington Post.

Lizzo herself even took notice, changing the lyric and giving us all a masterclass in how to be a true and effective ally.

I thought we’d changed the music industry and started a global conversation about why ableist language – intentional or not – has no place in music. But I guess I was wrong, because now Beyoncé has gone and done exactly the same thing. In fact, she’s used the word “spaz” twice in a new song Heated, a co-write with Canadian rapper Drake off her new album, Renaissance, which dropped on Friday.

I found out by way of a snarky mention on Twitter asking if I planned to tell Queen Bey to “do better” like I had with Lizzo. My heart sank. Here we were again, but this time the stakes feel higher. Calling this one out is a whole other level.

Whenever Beyoncé so much as breathes it becomes a cultural moment. She’s often the blueprint for the music industry – with artists and entertainers following her lead. That’s the status she has earned after decades of a career at the top, never making the same move twice, seeming to play in an entirely different league to the majority of the music industry.

Beyoncé’s commitment to storytelling musically and visually is unparalleled, as is her power to have the world paying attention to the narratives, struggles and nuanced lived experience of being a black woman – a world I can only ever understand as an ally, and have no desire to overshadow.

But that doesn’t excuse her use of ableist language – language that gets used and ignored all too often. Language you can be sure I will never ignore, no matter who it comes from or what the circumstances are. It doesn’t excuse the fact that the teams of people involved in making this album somehow missed all the noise the disabled community made only six weeks ago when Lizzo did the same thing.

It doesn’t explain how millions of people have already heard this album and yet aren’t raising the issue, except to make fun of or degrade the disabled community.

I’m so tired. Disabled people deserve better. I don’t want to have this conversation again.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,766
    Man that's tough. I didn't know that is an offensive word. It's only rock and roll. Or pop, or whatever. Turn it off if you don't like it. Gee whiz. Bad brains reissued a record and removed the lyrics from one song as not to offend people. It's punk rock. WTH is going on. I love everyone, but please people. End of rant
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Not meaning to burst your bubble, Tim, but you might want to check this out first:

When Beyoncé dropped the same ableist slur as Lizzo on her new album, my heart sank

Hannah Diviney

It’s not very often that I don’t know what to say, rendered speechless by ignorance, sadness and a simmering anger born of bone-deep exhaustion. But that’s how I feel right now.

Six weeks ago I called out American singer, Lizzo, on Twitter for her use of an ableist slur (“spaz”) in a new song. That tweet of mine – which explained how the slur was connected to my disability, cerebral palsy – took me less than five minutes to write and it went viral, landing on the front page of global news outlets including the BBC, New York Times and the Washington Post.

Lizzo herself even took notice, changing the lyric and giving us all a masterclass in how to be a true and effective ally.

I thought we’d changed the music industry and started a global conversation about why ableist language – intentional or not – has no place in music. But I guess I was wrong, because now Beyoncé has gone and done exactly the same thing. In fact, she’s used the word “spaz” twice in a new song Heated, a co-write with Canadian rapper Drake off her new album, Renaissance, which dropped on Friday.

I found out by way of a snarky mention on Twitter asking if I planned to tell Queen Bey to “do better” like I had with Lizzo. My heart sank. Here we were again, but this time the stakes feel higher. Calling this one out is a whole other level.

Whenever Beyoncé so much as breathes it becomes a cultural moment. She’s often the blueprint for the music industry – with artists and entertainers following her lead. That’s the status she has earned after decades of a career at the top, never making the same move twice, seeming to play in an entirely different league to the majority of the music industry.

Beyoncé’s commitment to storytelling musically and visually is unparalleled, as is her power to have the world paying attention to the narratives, struggles and nuanced lived experience of being a black woman – a world I can only ever understand as an ally, and have no desire to overshadow.

But that doesn’t excuse her use of ableist language – language that gets used and ignored all too often. Language you can be sure I will never ignore, no matter who it comes from or what the circumstances are. It doesn’t excuse the fact that the teams of people involved in making this album somehow missed all the noise the disabled community made only six weeks ago when Lizzo did the same thing.

It doesn’t explain how millions of people have already heard this album and yet aren’t raising the issue, except to make fun of or degrade the disabled community.

I’m so tired. Disabled people deserve better. I don’t want to have this conversation again.

Yeah. I heard it in the song last week. It’s a bummer. I’d rather them own it and be better going forward than not doing anything. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Loujoe said:
    Man that's tough. I didn't know that is an offensive word. It's only rock and roll. Or pop, or whatever. Turn it off if you don't like it. Gee whiz. Bad brains reissued a record and removed the lyrics from one song as not to offend people. It's punk rock. WTH is going on. I love everyone, but please people. End of rant
    I guess I don’t get the big deal that artists change their lyrics or songs after finding out that it offended or hurt someone or some marginalized group. I mean, if the artist isn’t that person, I can understand wanting to change their art so they don’t misrepresent someone they aren’t. Wanting to make th8ngs better after someone gets hurt isn’t a bad thing. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Loujoe said:
    I guess I don’t get the big deal that artists change their lyrics or songs after finding out that it offended or hurt someone or some marginalized group. I mean, if the artist isn’t that person, I can understand wanting to change their art so they don’t misrepresent someone they aren’t. Wanting to make th8ngs better after someone gets hurt isn’t a bad thing. 
    Agree.

Except Patti Smith will always get a pass from me.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    brianlux said:

Hannah Diviney

Yeah. I heard it in the song last week. It’s a bummer. I’d rather them own it and be better going forward than not doing anything. 

I'm really hoping she comes around on this one.  And it probably wasn't meant to be derogatory, but how do you tell that to someone with a disability?  She would do well to make amends somehow.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,706
    Merriam-Webster's definition of "spaz":  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spaz
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I’ve always thought it was a dumbass or someone prone to freak outs.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Hannah Diviney

I'm really hoping she comes around on this one.  And it probably wasn't meant to be derogatory, but how do you tell that to someone with a disability?  She would do well to make amends somehow.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    I mean. She’s changing it. I’m sure it’s all good. 

But yeah, until the Lizzo story a few weeks back I didn’t know. I’m fine dropping it. No issue for me. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Merriam-Webster's definition of "spaz":  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spaz
    I have always thought it to mean this.  Someone high sprung or a goof.  Never have I ever heard the word Spaz used to put down someone with cerebral palsy.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Hannah Diviney

Never heard of it used in that way.  Is this new?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    mickeyrat said:
    I have always thought it to mean this.  Someone high sprung or a goof.  Never have I ever heard the word Spaz used to put down someone with cerebral palsy.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Hannah Diviney

Same with me.. like a dork. 

I'm sure someone is going to tell me that "dork" is a slur for something too.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Hannah Diviney

It's where I draw the line at the PC thing sometimes...  I still don't get how mulatto is a slur...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Hannah Diviney

It's where I draw the line at the PC thing sometimes...  I still don't get how mulatto is a slur...
    I get that one.. it's someone half black and half white.  To me, a person can choose to be a spaz, a dork, a jerk, an idiot.  It's not specific to race, creed, color, etc.  Mulatto is specific. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Hannah Diviney

I get that one.. it's someone half black and half white.  To me, a person can choose to be a spaz, a dork, a jerk, an idiot.  It's not specific to race, creed, color, etc.  Mulatto is specific. 
    I always thought it was to describe a color, not black not white, a mix.  Again, I don't get to why it's a slur.  Someone back in the day must have done stupid shit with the word to make it taboo.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Hannah Diviney

I always thought it was to describe a color, not black not white, a mix.  Again, I don't get to why it's a slur.  Someone back in the day must have done stupid shit with the word to make it taboo.
    No, it's a description of your parents, not a color.  Miscegenation was illegal in many states, so being a 'mulatto' is akin to being a bastard or being illegal. 
  • Options
    A dork is a whales penis
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,274
    I’ve only ever known the word ‘sp*z’ as an offensive term (it’s literally an abbreviation of spastic paralysis). Growing up in the UK we’d always get into trouble if anyone called someone that word. I guess that highlights the differences in countries and cultures. 
    Another example would be the word ‘c**n’. In the UK, it was a really offensive racist slur, in the US, it could be short for raccoon, in Australia it’s a brand of cheese!

I can see both sides - on the one hand, are Beyoncé and Lizzo really supposed to know the global differences in interpretations? On the other hand, there are so many co-writers and collaborators on a Beyoncé record that she’s more like a band than a solo artist. Surely one of them would’ve picked up on it, especially so soon after Lizzo?
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)