Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,626
    MedozK said:
    Anyone picking up something from the “Michigan collection” acoustic sounds just bought? 

Priced a bit high on the stuff I want, actually cheaper on eBay.  The MOFI is all that’s listed so far.

impressive collection in any case 
    Yea, their pre-owned stuff is crazy high.
    It’s weird because, objectively AP is a bargain these days Vs most records.  40 bucks for a 33rpm and 60 for a 45.  When your standard record is now 40 bucks probably on average, pressed by united or wherever, it’s a really good value 

I guess that doesn’t translate into pre owned 
    I've always felt that AP were good deals and first class.  I prefer their stuff over MOFI.  Music Matters is way up there as well, but more limited. 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    Anyone picking up something from the “Michigan collection” acoustic sounds just bought? 

Priced a bit high on the stuff I want, actually cheaper on eBay.  The MOFI is all that’s listed so far.

impressive collection in any case 
    I'd like to, but i don't need it at those prices. 

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,688
    3 LP Fear Innoculum shipping soon.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,558
    Joe Pug - Nation of Heat Revisited 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
    Finally, a UK version of AYE.  Didn't need the ABAL, but the price for the two-fer was too good to pass on.
    Primary

Secondary 2 of 9

The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Are You Experienced / Axis: Bold As Love

Label:Polydor – 2683 031
    Series:2Twosome
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo, Mono
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo
    All Media, Compilation, Gatefold
    Released:1973
    Genre:Rock
    Style:Psychedelic Rock

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    brianlux said:
    Finally, a UK version of AYE.  Didn't need the ABAL, but the price for the two-fer was too good to pass on.
    Primary

Secondary 2 of 9

The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Are You Experienced / Axis: Bold As Love

Label:Polydor – 2683 031
    Series:2Twosome
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo, Mono
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo
    All Media, Compilation, Gatefold
    Released:1973
    Genre:Rock
    Style:Psychedelic Rock

Very nice!
  • Options
    @mrussel1, I just picked up 2 very nice VG+++ '75-'77 pressings of Exile and Sticky Fingers. Can't wait to A/B these with the reissues. The Exile is an Artisan plate... was excited to get these. 

In the same purchase picked up late VG+++ 70s pressings of Animals and Meddle.  All of these from the same seller, crazy good condition.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    @mrussel1, I just picked up 2 very nice VG+++ '75-'77 pressings of Exile and Sticky Fingers. Can't wait to A/B these with the reissues. The Exile is an Artisan plate... was excited to get these. 

In the same purchase picked up late VG+++ 70s pressings of Animals and Meddle.  All of these from the same seller, crazy good condition.
    That's great!  What happened with that other Exile you found a few weeks ago?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:

That's great!  What happened with that other Exile you found a few weeks ago?
    It is ok, but to much surface noise for me.
  • Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,345

Super clean Blondie Mexican press and a German press Pretenders. 
  • Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 635

Had some rewards built up at my local shop and got all three of these for $13. Both Dylan’s are spotless and I’m really digging the new Interpol. 
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    Back on the topic of record making.  When these artists were selling millions of albums and then making singles, how the hell did they do this back then?  If the OG tapes are used once then are they using copies of copies to produce them?

I am just wondering what has changed now over the years?
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited July 2022
    Back on the topic of record making.  When these artists were selling millions of albums and then making singles, how the hell did they do this back then?  If the OG tapes are used once then are they using copies of copies to produce them?

I am just wondering what has changed now over the years?
    My understanding is the one step process is different.

The weren’t pressing millions of albums that way for sure.  Not that it really clears up how exactly one step works with the the lacquers and the playing of the master tapes. I’m still confused on that 

i also don’t know when accessing the masters started becoming such a big deal.  I kind of doubt these albums in print for decades even went back to the masters and most of those tapes were probably copies and copies of the copies I would guess 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    ton of different plants around the country in operation too...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    So normally, a lacquer is cut from the master tape (sometimes a copy), they then create a father (an inverse of the lacquer) which then creates a mother (basically a copy of the lacquer) that mother producers all the stampers. So when they were making millions of copies, they just kept making stampers off that Mother (or making new mothers off the father). The tape was used maybe once. 

The one step basically goes lacquer to stamper. So for every 1000 copies they would need to run the tape to make a lacquer. Well, that’s what people assumed/questioned. In reality, they created a digital version, thus making it easier to make the lacquers for a one step. 
  • Options
    So normally, a lacquer is cut from the master tape (sometimes a copy), they then create a father (an inverse of the lacquer) which then creates a mother (basically a copy of the lacquer) that mother producers all the stampers. So when they were making millions of copies, they just kept making stampers off that Mother (or making new mothers off the father). The tape was used maybe once. 

The one step basically goes lacquer to stamper. So for every 1000 copies they would need to run the tape to make a lacquer. Well, that’s what people assumed/questioned. In reality, they created a digital version, thus making it easier to make the lacquers for a one step. 
    If it does sound superior then I guess they know what they are doing and does it question on could it be better coming directly off the master tapes rather than that copy off the digital?  Would we actually ever know?

• Options
    My Living in Clip Ani DiFranco album came in yesterday.  Will give a listenhere soon.
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    My Living in Clip Ani DiFranco album came in yesterday.  Will give a listenhere soon.
    Mine was delivered to my US address yesterday as well. I’ll have to get across the border on Monday next week to grab it 👍
  • Options
    Mine was delivered to my US address yesterday as well. I’ll have to get across the border on Monday next week to grab it 👍
    po box?

• Options
    edited July 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    po box?

Small border town business called “Ship it to Us”.  I get US wax purchases sent there as it’s usually $5-7 US for shipping and then they hold it for me. They charge me $6 Canadian for each package. 
    The Canadian customs officers always wave me through because I tell them exactly what I have and the total dollar amount. Have all the receipts ready (discogs or email) and they don’t seem interested in me paying customs. 

Also get a slightly cheaper tank of gas while across the border. Getting these records shipped from the US to Canada is always above $25 Canadian so it’s worth the 45 minute drive (and occasional wait at the border). 
  • Options

If it does sound superior then I guess they know what they are doing and does it question on could it be better coming directly off the master tapes rather than that copy off the digital?  Would we actually ever know?

TBH, I don't think theres much of a difference. I have the UHQR Kind of Blue and the Mofi One Step (granted one is 33 and the other is 45). I can't tell the difference. I'd say I have a upper tier modest setup. I think what it basically comes down to is the actual pressing. Both use a special type of vinyl thats not very noisy. Both are "pressed by hand" and both are cut by fantastic engineers. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    po box?

Small border town business called “Ship it to Us”.  I get US wax purchases sent there as it’s usually $5-7 US for shipping and then they hold it for me. They charge me $6 Canadian for each package. 
    The Canadian customs officers always wave me through because I tell them exactly what I have and the total dollar amount. Have all the receipts ready (discogs or email) and they don’t seem interested in me paying customs. 

Also get a slightly cheaper tank of gas while across the border. Getting these records shipped from the US to Canada is always above $25 Canadian so it’s worth the 45 minute drive (and occasional wait at the border). 
    right on. where abouts are you?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    po box?

right on. where abouts are you?

I have been slowly moving to the South Okanagan in British Columbia.  Oroville, Washington is right across the border.  They also generally get 8,4% state tax from me on these vinyl purchases 😂. 
    The math still holds up as a cost effective way to get records I just can’t find north of the border. Shipping prices WITHIN Canada are fucking haywire anyways. 

It’s like a vinyl version of one of my favourite Seinfeld episodes.

• Options
    Mine hasn’t shipped yet.  Let us know how it sounds 
  • Options

TBH, I don't think theres much of a difference. I have the UHQR Kind of Blue and the Mofi One Step (granted one is 33 and the other is 45). I can't tell the difference. I'd say I have a upper tier modest setup. I think what it basically comes down to is the actual pressing. Both use a special type of vinyl thats not very noisy. Both are "pressed by hand" and both are cut by fantastic engineers. 
    Is there a one step KOB? 

I have the mofi regular one and the UHQR. Haven’t opened the mofi 45 though. Quite happy with the UHQR
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    You're right. Thats not a one step. my bad. 

• Options
    edited July 2022

That’s good.  As I really didn’t want to have to track down another copy 😂

just looked that one up on mofi, they just raised the price on it too like 15 bucks from a few months ago. 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options

My preference for the UHQR is because it's 33 and I think KW at MOFI goes a little heavy on bass.
  • Options
    EV Earthling Spotify Clear vinyl has been shipped by the 10c
  • Options
    EV Earthling Spotify Clear vinyl has been shipped by the 10c
    FINALLY!!!