Primary

Nils Lofgren – Nils

Label:A&M Records – SP 4756, A&M Records – SP4756, A&M Records – SP-4756
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo, Indianapolis Press
    Released:1979
    Genre:Rock
    Style:Power Pop

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
     I'm on a strict 5 records for the rest of the year now, all accounted for with pre orders apart from Earthling as I'm waiting on prices calming down a little on that. The corp retail chain who shall not be named has dropped the price of the Nevermind box set from around £175 to £131. Extraordinary amount of willpower required here. And no I don't need it, I have every official Nirvana Live LP, do I need more live stuff...no.
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Can’t wait to visit this place tomorrow! 

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    FR181798 said:
     I'm on a strict 5 records for the rest of the year now, all accounted for with pre orders apart from Earthling as I'm waiting on prices calming down a little on that. The corp retail chain who shall not be named has dropped the price of the Nevermind box set from around £175 to £131. Extraordinary amount of willpower required here. And no I don't need it, I have every official Nirvana Live LP, do I need more live stuff...no.
    I hear you. No more buying what I already have on CD. I have 6-7 preorders still out, after that I’m done for a long time. Unless the Machina reissue drops this year, or PJ decides to reissue Lost Dogs. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    FR181798 said:
    I hear you. No more buying what I already have on CD. I have 6-7 preorders still out, after that I’m done for a long time. Unless the Machina reissue drops this year, or PJ decides to reissue Lost Dogs. 
    It's those kind of releases that get you. I've not factored in the random drops that will prove too hard to resist. SP Archive 4 will be my weakness.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Side Stage at Hyde Park - Feminist Hardcore Punk outfit Petrol Girls. Fucking awesome. 
    Bought two of their albums after the set. Baby, I Had an Abortion is one kickass fucking song. 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655

Pete Yorn- Hawaii 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited July 2022
    FR181798 said:
    FR181798 said:
    It's those kind of releases that get you. I've not factored in the random drops that will prove too hard to resist. SP Archive 4 will be my weakness.
    If it’s another Volume of archive 3 I’ll probably pass. Rubano Tapes “volume 1” has me wondering 

If it’s a Siamese dream or MCIS  show  I’m buying 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    GlowGirl said:

My lack of willpower when it comes to these things is astonishing. But now I have the first four albums OG pressings. Got them all sealed. Covers are immaculate. Good prices, I think. No regrets. 

The original price sticker was covered by the new one, but when I peeled that off I could see that it was originally $10.99. 
    I highly suggest going to this link:
    https://vinylstoragesolutions.ca/collections/12-inch-dual-pocket/products/4-mil-dual-pocket-lp-vinyl-record-outer-sleeves-resealable-crystal-clear-cpp-25-sleeves-to-a-pack

Pick up some of those sleeve protectors to protect those valuable records after you open them. Those 4mm resealable protectors look amazing and eliminate shelf-wear or ring wear on the sleeves. This guy has some great stuff for those of us who really geek out on record collecting. 
    Best sleeves I’ve used 

no more taking sleeves off and on every time I listen to a record 

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    GlowGirl said:

My lack of willpower when it comes to these things is astonishing. But now I have the first four albums OG pressings. Got them all sealed. Covers are immaculate. Good prices, I think. No regrets. 

The original price sticker was covered by the new one, but when I peeled that off I could see that it was originally $10.99. 
    https://vinylstoragesolutions.ca/collections/12-inch-dual-pocket/products/4-mil-dual-pocket-lp-vinyl-record-outer-sleeves-resealable-crystal-clear-cpp-25-sleeves-to-a-pack

Pick up some of those sleeve protectors to protect those valuable records after you open them. Those 4mm resealable protectors look amazing and eliminate shelf-wear or ring wear on the sleeves. This guy has some great stuff for those of us who really geek out on record collecting. 
    Best sleeves I’ve used 

These aren’t the best I have, but they are definitely the best ones you can still get today.  I think it was 1Thought that turned me on to that Canadian and it’s been great.  They also sell individual 10” sleeves, which is awesome since I only have two.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    GlowGirl said:

Best sleeves I’ve used 

These aren’t the best I have, but they are definitely the best ones you can still get today.  I think it was 1Thought that turned me on to that Canadian and it’s been great.  They also sell individual 10” sleeves, which is awesome since I only have two.  
    I’ve been using those vinyl storage solutions resealable outer and anti-static inner sleeves for years. Great product and reasonably priced. Has 7” sleeves as well.

Also sells an insert for the trifold records, where you can open them all the way up and it stays protected with the pockets available for the anti-static inners. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    GlowGirl said:

Best sleeves I’ve used 

I’ve been using those vinyl storage solutions resealable outer and anti-static inner sleeves for years. Great product and reasonably priced. Has 7” sleeves as well.

Also sells an insert for the trifold records, where you can open them all the way up and it stays protected with the pockets available for the anti-static inners. 
    Doing (double gatefold?) whatever PJ 20/Radiohead oknotok is, that is a bit tricky 

I just got the long ones for a normal gatefold and threaded the center record jacket out. Works fine as everywhere I touch is protected and I just use the record insert holes as normal to put the records in 
  • Options

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    mrussel1 said:
    GlowGirl said:

Best sleeves I’ve used 

My favorites are Sleeve City Ultimate outers, 5 mil, and their Ultimate Audiophile Inner Sleeves ("first anti-static "rice paper" sleeve to use paper laminate on both sides for the highest strength and longest life possible. These laminated sleeves are nearly indestructible, and lined inside and out with extra-soft high-density polyethylene")  but, oh man, the wait time is long.  It took six months for the outers to arrive and, by the time they show up this fall, the inners will have been backordered 9 months.  But they are so good!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited July 2022
    I’m way into this… but, how are we any different than people who put plastic on their couch? 

This is kind of disturbing as it’s probably how it starts.  It probably messes with the acoustics though 
  • Options
    I’m way into this… but, how are we any different than people who put plastic on their couch? 

This is kind of disturbing as it’s probably how it starts.  It probably messes with the acoustics though 
    Plastic on couches, LOL.  If I had pricey furniture, I suppose I might put a cloth throw over it, but around here, the closest thing to protecting furniture is the sleeping cat who knows better that to claw furniture.  There is once exception- my desk chair.  It was used, is now close to hopeless anyway, and it kind of appeases Annie's desire to claw things.

I hope I don't come across as hypocritical, but as much as I hate the excessive use of plastic, for archival purposes used on LPs and books, I'm all for it- at least for items that in in great shape and deserving of preservation, especially scarce, rare, and out-of-print items. 
    To my way of thinking, a high quality inner and outer sleeve is a must for expensive and hard to acquire LPs. 
    Same thing for book dust jackets.  All of the better books I have (things like Steinbeck firsts, signed hardcovers with dust jackets, etc.) have dust jackets placed in quality Mylar sleeves.  Those sleeves have some UV protestant built into them which helps prevent spine fading, and are very useful to protect a book when being handled. 
    So that's my rationale, and without knowing of a better way to preserve these items, it seems to me like the best way to go.

• Options
    Just going to say it...bought a CD today. Maybe the first time in 10 years.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    FR181798 said:
    I probably would just stream.

SACD I would probably buy though if I was getting a CD. However I’m not even sure how those work, like does a normal car CD player even play it in higher definition?

like dvd and blue ray. You can put a dvd in a blue ray player, it’s still a dvd 

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,801
    FR181798 said:

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/289243/i-just-picked-up-on-cd#latest
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    FR181798 said:

SACD I would probably buy though if I was getting a CD. However I’m not even sure how those work, like does a normal car CD player even play it in higher definition?

You need an SACD player,  which is expensive.  I have a bunch of SACD rips that are very nice.  They play at 32bit, 384 kHz. That's the max of my DAC, but there is more resolution available.  I think an SACD maxes at 2.2mhz. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    FR181798 said:

You need an SACD player,  which is expensive.  I have a bunch of SACD rips that are very nice.  They play at 32bit, 384 kHz. That's the max of my DAC, but there is more resolution available.  I think an SACD maxes at 2.2mhz. 
    Figured that would be the case. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    FR181798 said:

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/289243/i-just-picked-up-on-cd#latest
    Thanks I knew I had seen it somewhere. Thought CD was maybe a bad word these days.
  • Options
    All Ages in Camden was shuttered, much to my dismay. Went to five record stores yesterday that were the dogs bollocks quite frankly. I was visiting the Tower of London this morning and took one last crack at Rough Trade East.

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,795
    That dead Kennedy's cracks me up.  Viva las vegas!
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    That dead Kennedy's cracks me up.  Viva las vegas!
    Lady Luck's with me, the dice stay hot
    Got coke up my nose to dry away the snot
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,795
    edited July 2022
    I usually skip the I kill children song!
    Drug me is fantastic. I saw a dude with a dk shirt on and he's a bassist and said their bassist kills it. Made me pay attention to it and yes. Pretty nuts what he does.
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    Toast! 
    Oh my- major surprise for me for some reason.  I somehow anticipated this would be good not great.  I have to say, I could do without "Boom, Boom, Boom", and the "Quit" isn't as strong as the rest, yet as an opener, it serves kind of well in a way to work as a prelude to some terrific numbers.  "How Ya Doin'" especially.  That one ripped me right up, tears and all.
    4 1/2 out of 5 for me.  Take off "Boom", make it one disc, and this is a top NY/Crazy Horse contender, without a doubt. Needless to say, I AM STOKED!
    Primary

• Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 638

Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 4.13.12
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Los Angeles 1 5.22.24
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Does anyone have the 2018 Pink Floyd- Pulse set?  I'm thinking of picking that up but would like to hear some reviews on the pressing quality etc.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden