Options

Official 2009 World Series Thread - Phillies vs. Yankees

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Goddamn I hate the cocky ass Yankees.

BUT it's so nice to see the Phillies getting whipped.

No more Phillies fans bragging about being World Champions. No more bandwagon Philly fans celebrating a team that they only began to care about when they started winning.

Don't care much about the Yankees winning since everyone knows they pretty much bought this ring. And, I think some good will come of it when the league finally gets smart and realizes that a salary cap is a necessity if competitive balance means anything at all to them.

(Yes, I am still bitter about the Dodgers losing.)
    G_ F_c_ yourself :evil:
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804

No more Phillies fans bragging about being World Champions. No more bandwagon Philly fans celebrating a team that they only began to care about when they started winning.

Don't care much about the Yankees winning since everyone knows they pretty much bought this ring. And, I think some good will come of it when the league finally gets smart and realizes that a salary cap is a necessity if competitive balance means anything at all to them.

Dude, just let this dude go and let the Yankee fans have their day...

The dude is 3,000 miles away and doesn't recall LA fans selling their NLCS tickets for game 5 for $25 a piece on Stub Hub(thousands of them) when they were down 3-1 as opposed to what the crowd looked like Monday in Philly. Again, though, this isn't about Philly or LA - no matter what this guy has to make a point of stating. New York, it's yours.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    congrats to the phils, they played tough.

it is satisfying to know the yanks beat the 2 best teams in the league to win this one.

hell of a season.

27 and counting.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,436
    they hardly mentioned Howard striking out 13 times and breaking the record.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,084
    I have a feeling we won't go 59 years between the next Phillies-Yankees series. Other than the 1996 Braves, the Phillies were the best opponent the Yankees defeated in the World Series during this era.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options

"Everyone knows they pretty much bought this ring"...from a guy blabbin about the Lakers in his sig ? What did they, do...EARN theirs ? :roll:

If a ring can be so easily bought, why doesn't every team do it ?
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere...
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    Charlie Manuel was very classy in hi's post game interview he is correct they have nothing to be down about they have a great nucleus for the future ......good series :) congrats to both teams
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Yes, this was the Pedro us Met fans remember so very well..seriously who didn't think he was going to get lit up? Lucky to escape and get chased after only 4 runs..anyway, as much as I hate the Yankees, they have a great team and the better team won..the best team the entire season won the world series, which is obviously not always the case..go Mets..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    chromiam wrote:

Whipped??? whipped??? 6 games in the World Series is whipped??? When is the last time the Dodgers were in the World Series????

That's what I thought... and yeah your final line is telling... so fuck you.. and we still are the 2008 World Fucking Champions.

Whipped in this game is what I meant, but take it however you will.

I won't deny that I felt a bit of pleasure in watching this tonight after all the shit Phillies fans talked after the Dodgers series.

Good for you...and we are still 1988 World Series champions...no one gives a shit unless you have the last one.

congrats on your championship from 21 years ago. pretty easy to come on here and rip us before the series starts....and then waiting until its over to rip us again. lord knows we would not have heard from you had we won. kinda fraudulent if you ask me. seems to be your MO around here.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    congratulations to the yankees. the phils certainly did not play up to their potential. its a shame because this could have been a 7 game classic. but the yanks are a good team and were the better team in this series, so congrats.

i have no doubt we will see you next year... and the year after that as we own the NL and will only get better next year.

helluva run phightns! helluva run
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

andy clinching all three series is pretty awesome. I don't think Matsui will be back so i'm so glad he came out and did what he did. He will be missed.

Mo was Mo.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    i have no doubt we will see you next year... and the year after that as we own the NL and will only get better next year.

Baseball is unpredictable, especially in the playoffs as we've all seen..it's all about timely pitching and it changes drastically from year to year..Hamels and Lidge were complete disasters this year, who only a year ago played major roles in their championship run...don't think the Phills would have been in this position if it weren't for the midseason acquisition of Lee and Pedro, who both pitched incredibly well at the right time in the season/playoffs..see how that works Mr. baseball?....we'll see what surprises are in store for next season ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options

I guess I'd be be bitter too if my team lost in 5 games 2 straight years and had no heart

It's funny the team reflects its fans in LA
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214
    disappointing to lose but great they got as far as they did. Getting to game 6 of the world series with a lousy bullpen and no bench was pretty impressive. this team has everyone in the starting 8 back along with Lee and hopefully a return to form for Hamels - no reason they can't be right there again. enjoy the run with this team, it is special.
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

Baseball is unpredictable, especially in the playoffs as we've all seen..it's all about timely pitching and it changes drastically from year to year..Hamels and Lidge were complete disasters this year, who only a year ago played major roles in their championship run...don't think the Phills would have been in this position if it weren't for the midseason acquisition of Lee and Pedro, who both pitched incredibly well at the right time in the season/playoffs..see how that works Mr. baseball?....we'll see what surprises are in store for next season ;) ..

it's really amazing we came within 2 games of back to back world championships with such poor seasons from our supposed ace and closer. they can't be any worse next year. 8-)
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    intodeep wrote:
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

andy clinching all three series is pretty awesome. I don't think Matsui will be back so i'm so glad he came out and did what he did. He will be missed.

Mo was Mo.
    Yeah, the fact that yesterday's game may be Matsui's last in the MLB is pretty sweet. If I were him I'd retire, he's already a superstar in Japan, and now with a World Series MVP under his belt he really doesn't have much to play for over here.

Whatever Matsui's choice is, I'm glad to see that happen to him, he's always played hard and he came up big for us several different times.
  • Options

I guess I'd be be bitter too if my team lost in 5 games 2 straight years and had no heart

It's funny the team reflects its fans in LA
    :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

it's really amazing we came within 2 games of back to back world championships with such poor seasons from our supposed ace and closer. they can't be any worse next year. 8-)

if the mets didn't have a terrible season. maybe you don't reach the playoffs.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    What Pearl Jam song was playing after the Yankees won the championship, I walked in and caught it at the last second. They were showing a montage of the six games, sounded like something from the new album :D
  • Options
    CW55060 wrote:
    What Pearl Jam song was playing after the Yankees won the championship, I walked in and caught it at the last second. They were showing a montage of the six games, sounded like something from the new album :D

Amongst the Waves.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

if the mets didn't have a terrible season. maybe you don't reach the playoffs.[/quote]

that is 100% HILARIOUS! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

THANK YOU!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214

it's really amazing we came within 2 games of back to back world championships with such poor seasons from our supposed ace and closer. they can't be any worse next year. 8-)[/quote]

if the mets didn't have a terrible season. maybe you don't reach the playoffs.[/quote]

don't you mean if the Mets didn't suck for 3 straight seasons - I mean we've only won the division 3 straight years over the Mets but some people still think the Mets are better. And people wonder why people in Philly hate New York.
  • Options
    booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    i've been pretty sick this past week. Think the Spectrum gave me the Swine.

wanted to say the Yankee fans were great last weekend. it was fun!

The Phils made too many mistakes to be 2009 World Champions
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,954
    Well good series was hoping it would go top a game 7. Congrats to the Yanks and Matsui for taking home of the MVP. Would have helped if half the Phillies would have show up (Howard, Lidge, Hamels, J-Roll)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly