Options

Official 2009 World Series Thread - Phillies vs. Yankees

Comments

• Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Hughes looks like he hit the wall in the post season.
    Real bad sign for the Yanks.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,507
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    when balls start landing into your glove behind your back,
    obviously its a good night for you

I've never seen anything like that nonchalant pop up he caught.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    THERE WE GO!!

Phillies lead 1-0!! :D
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    amazing game by lee!
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Lee was the man tonight a masterful performance. To me a must game for the Phils with Pedro tomorrow, I don't think he'll get it done but we shall see.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Lot of empty $1,000+ seats twoards the end of the game. Love seeing that!!!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    pureoc wrote:

what kind of a FRAUD leaves a world series game in the top of the ninth inning? it was a 4 run game when most people were starting to leave? you'd NEVER see that in philly. NEVER.

this was a lot easier than i thought it would be....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    LETS GO YANKEES!!!!!!

World Series baseball is back where it belongs.

....i dont think it should belong in a city where a sizeable amount of "fans" leave a 4 run game in the beginning of the ninth. that was a disgrace.

it belongs in philly :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Lee
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    pureoc wrote:

what kind of a FRAUD leaves a world series game in the top of the ninth inning? it was a 4 run game when most people were starting to leave? you'd NEVER see that in philly. NEVER.

Now don't get ahead yourself it's the Yanks they didn't spend all that money to be patsies. Even though I hope to hell they turn out to be wussies.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    pureoc wrote:

Now don't get ahead yourself it's the Yanks they didn't spend all that money to be patsies. Even though I hope to hell they turn out to be wussies.

Peace

they spent a boat load of money last year and they didn't even make the playoffs :lol::lol::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    just got home from the concert and now i get to watch all of the game highlights.

it's a very good night.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    Sold my tix for tonight. Nasty.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,084
    That sequence where Lee struck out Teixeira, A-Rod and Posada on three different pitches summed it up for the Yankees. Here's some notes from the postgame sheet:

Lee pitched the first complete game in the World Series since Beckett's five-hitter in Game Six of the 2003 series. He is the first lefty to go the distance in the World Series since Randy Johnson in Game 2 of the 2001 series. Lee is the first Phillie to throw a complete game in the World Series since Curt Schilling in Game 5 against Toronto. Lee's 0.54 ERA is the seventh-lowest all-time in the playoffs among pitchers with at least 20.0 innings.

Lee's 10 strikeouts were the most in the World Series since Beckett in Game 3 of the 2003 series. It was the third time a pitcher struck out 10 without a walk. The previous instances were Deacon Phillippe in 1903 for Pittsburgh and Don Newcombe in 1951 for the Dodgers.

Utley is just the 2nd lefthanded batter in World Series history to hit two homers off a
    lefthanded pitcher in one game. Babe Ruth accomplished that feat on October 9, 1928, Game 4,
    with 2 of his 3 homers off LHP Bill Sherdel.

Overall, it the 3rd time in his career that Utley has homered twice off a lefthander in one game: August 26, 2005 vs. Arizona’s Brad Halsey and April 28, 2009 off Washington’s John Lannan.

The Yankees have had consecutive complete games thrown against them in the World Series for the first time since 1963 when Drysdale and Koufax did it.

The Yankees scored an unearned run in the 9th inning to snap their World Series scoreless innings streak at 17.0 innings, 3rd longest in club history behind 21.0 innings, 1921-22, and 18.0 innings, Games 1-3 in 2001.

The Yankees have lost their last 4 World Series games since winning Game 3 in 2003, the club’s longest
    Series losing streak since 6 in a row, Game 3 in 1981-Game 2 in 1996. New York has dropped the opener in
    each of its last 3 World Series since taking Game 1 in 2000.

This marked the 5th time in his career, regular season or post-season the Sabathia has allowed a pair of homers to lefthanded batters in one game, and 3rd time to one batter.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    So psyched that the Yankee's lost game one... Now tonight Pedro is pitching!!! :thumbup: :clap: :wave:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    Where's that idiot around here who called Philly fans fair weather??? Did you SEE that stadium late in the game? The supposed "dedicated" Yankee fans. :roll: IT'S THE WORLD SERIES. Please, idiot, tell me why that was okay.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    So psyched that the Yankee's lost game one... Now tonight Pedro is pitching!!! :thumbup: :clap: :wave:

whos your daddy
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Where's that idiot around here who called Philly fans fair weather??? Did you SEE that stadium late in the game? The supposed "dedicated" Yankee fans. :roll: IT'S THE WORLD SERIES. Please, idiot, tell me why that was okay.

don't judge an entire fan base's dedication on the babies that sit in the thousand or so seats around field level that cost several thousand dollars. it's terrible... either those seats don't fill because the prices are so outrageous, or the people who buy them, dont give a shit about baseball and leave after the 6th inning. and of course those are the only seats that are consistantly in the TV camera's view, so people watching at home assume the stadium is empty and the yanks have an unloyal fanbase.

untrue on both accounts.

edit: and it wasn't me who called philly fair weather fans. and was fan dedication even a debate in the old stadium? people act like this is the first year they are paying attention to the yanks & watching the games on TV.
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:

whos your daddy

Cliff Lee is.....ssssssssay it. Cliff Lee is your daddy. Come on - say it with me.
  • Options
    That sequence where Lee struck out Teixeira, A-Rod and Posada on three different pitches summed it up for the Yankees. Here's some notes from the postgame sheet:

Lee pitched the first complete game in the World Series since Beckett's five-hitter in Game Six of the 2003 series. He is the first lefty to go the distance in the World Series since Randy Johnson in Game 2 of the 2001 series. Lee is the first Phillie to throw a complete game in the World Series since Curt Schilling in Game 5 against Toronto. Lee's 0.54 ERA is the seventh-lowest all-time in the playoffs among pitchers with at least 20.0 innings.

Lee's 10 strikeouts were the most in the World Series since Beckett in Game 3 of the 2003 series. It was the third time a pitcher struck out 10 without a walk. The previous instances were Deacon Phillippe in 1903 for Pittsburgh and Don Newcombe in 1951 for the Dodgers.

Utley is just the 2nd lefthanded batter in World Series history to hit two homers off a
    lefthanded pitcher in one game. Babe Ruth accomplished that feat on October 9, 1928, Game 4,

Overall, it the 3rd time in his career that Utley has homered twice off a lefthander in one game: August 26, 2005 vs. Arizona’s Brad Halsey and April 28, 2009 off Washington’s John Lannan.

The Yankees have had consecutive complete games thrown against them in the World Series for the first time since 1963 when Drysdale and Koufax did it.

The Yankees scored an unearned run in the 9th inning to snap their World Series scoreless innings streak at 17.0 innings, 3rd longest in club history behind 21.0 innings, 1921-22, and 18.0 innings, Games 1-3 in 2001.

The Yankees have lost their last 4 World Series games since winning Game 3 in 2003, the club’s longest
    Series losing streak since 6 in a row, Game 3 in 1981-Game 2 in 1996. New York has dropped the opener in

This marked the 5th time in his career, regular season or post-season the Sabathia has allowed a pair of homers to lefthanded batters in one game, and 3rd time to one batter.

copious notes. copious indeed.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

don't judge an entire fan base's dedication on the babies that sit in the thousand or so seats around field level that cost several thousand dollars. it's terrible... either those seats don't fill because the prices are so outrageous, or the people who buy them, dont give a shit about baseball and leave after the 6th inning. and of course those are the only seats that are consistantly in the TV camera's view, so people watching at home assume the stadium is empty and the yanks have an unloyal fanbase.

untrue on both accounts.

edit: and it wasn't me who called philly fair weather fans. and was fan dedication even a debate in the old stadium? people act like this is the first year they are paying attention to the yanks & watching the games on TV.

nah the guy who said that shit was a bitter dodger fan trying to rile phils fans up. its just pretty ironic that this happened in game 1. that guy has not been heard from since last week. what a fraud!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Jeagler is the Cliff Lee of this board! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

You Yankees guys can trudge on back to the dugout.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    The Jeagler is the Cliff Lee of this board! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

You Yankees guys can trudge on back to the dugout.

i got a wicked SPIKED curve ball
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,084

Well I'm glad someone read them. Usually I post them and they get overlooked.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options

i hear ya. i doubt anyone read my series breakdown i posted in 3 threads yesterday either :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    no one mentioned "Got Some" video clips at the end of Fox's coverage? Was awesome seeing the boys and hearing Got Some while Celebrating game 1 VICTORY (ala Johnny Drama)
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

i hear ya. i doubt anyone read my series breakdown i posted in 3 threads yesterday either :mrgreen:

I read both, thanks guys.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813

I read and enjoyed both your synapses
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options

i read it...cracks me up how you refer to them as the worlds champs :mrgreen:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

I read and enjoyed both your synapses

synopsis.....synapses are nerve endings or something ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213

untrue on both accounts.

yet Philly fans can be judged by throwing snowballs at Santa Claus over 40 fn years ago and tired old cliches that every loser announcer bings up. your fans sucked last night face it.