On-line dating? I give up!

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Thanks for your input! I've tried a more up front approach as in mentioning it in an early email/message but I find it really tends to freak people out and I think the assumption is that there is baggage etc. There is no "Never been married" option, nor a "tell you later" either. I figured that if I was to meet someone on the street, I wouldn't mention the fact until we came to a point where it became necessary or tactful to mention it as it does not at all play any pertinent role in my present nor in my future. I do realize the online thing might have different rules and/or etiquitte.

i say fuck it. put single. you're single. and what you did before you met them is not their business. if they want to know they can ask.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    locked wrote:
    I may have to get me an Aussie girl...

I like the ones here!

:D

careful... we bite. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    locked wrote:

I like the ones here!

careful... we bite. ;)

like that's a bad thing? ;)

ok, ok....I will behave in here with you, cate. next thing we know, Ziggy will be in here and we'll be in trouble.

soulsinging - I wanted to say that at first too.....really. I've done some on-line dating think a little but when it boils down to it, I don't have any interest in dating with the intent of finding a life partner, a long term relationship or otherwise. Some people are and that's fine. If he puts himself out there as having never been married and the question comes up afterwards? there are people that would consider that hiding something and wouldn't give him the time of day going forward. Right or wrong, there are people who think that way. He's assuming people will think his young divorce puts an automatic black mark on him.....kind of unfair to those who wouldn't otherwise care.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
    Whizbang wrote:
    soulsinging - I wanted to say that at first too.....really. I've done some on-line dating think a little but when it boils down to it, I don't have any interest in dating with the intent of finding a life partner, a long term relationship or otherwise. Some people are and that's fine. If he puts himself out there as having never been married and the question comes up afterwards? there are people that would consider that hiding something and wouldn't give him the time of day going forward. Right or wrong, there are people who think that way. He's assuming people will think his young divorce puts an automatic black mark on him.....kind of unfair to those who wouldn't otherwise care.

im not saying he should lie if asked, but he's saying he's single, not that he's never been married. and it's true.
    Whizbang wrote:

im not saying he should lie if asked, but he's saying he's single, not that he's never been married. and it's true.

totally agree.....
    I know on match when you get match emails, they indicate if the guy was previously married or never been married. I am assuming that label is based on what they have chosen as their status - single, divorced, widowed, separated. I am not sure how it works on other sites...guessing the same. My profile indicates I'm divorced but I am as single as they come. Why I went on there and have since canceled my subscription is a topic for another day. ;)
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Whizbang wrote:
    locked wrote:

I like the ones here!

careful... we bite. ;)

like that's a bad thing? ;)

ok, ok....I will behave in here with you, cate. next thing we know, Ziggy will be in here and we'll be in trouble.

oh no its not a bad thing. in fact its a very very good thing. ;)8-)

now hush. :shh:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    has anyone used the "quickmatch" thing on OkCupid? I just did it and 1) I felt like a really mean and shallow person rating people on a scale of 1-5 and 2) I must have clicked through 100 guys, and I gave almost all of them 1 star. Frustrating!
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    Lauri wrote:
    has anyone used the "quickmatch" thing on OkCupid? I just did it and 1) I felt like a really mean and shallow person rating people on a scale of 1-5 and 2) I must have clicked through 100 guys, and I gave almost all of them 1 star. Frustrating!

what kind of guy rates a 4-5 in your mind?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    Lauri wrote:

honestly, I don't even know :). I guess going just by the info you can get from an online dating profile (and I think that's the main problem, I have had a hard time judging people just by their photos and "essays"), I would say...25-35 years old, college graduate, over 6' tall, lives within 5 miles of me, dresses kinda cool but not like a hipster, has strong interests, good facial hair, doesn't look like he hasn't taken a shower in weeks or had a hair cut in years, but isn't clean cut either...has freckles...um...glasses are cool...doesn't work in finance...has clever profile essays...oh no self-righteous comments...no cliches...nice smile, nice eyes...not too skinny, not too built, not too fat...oo tattoos, but only good ones...
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Lauri wrote:
    locked wrote:
    Lauri wrote:

honestly, I don't even know :). I guess going just by the info you can get from an online dating profile (and I think that's the main problem, I have had a hard time judging people just by their photos and "essays"), I would say...25-35 years old, college graduate, over 6' tall, lives within 5 miles of me, dresses kinda cool but not like a hipster, has strong interests, good facial hair, doesn't look like he hasn't taken a shower in weeks or had a hair cut in years, but isn't clean cut either...has freckles...um...glasses are cool...doesn't work in finance...has clever profile essays...oh no self-righteous comments...no cliches...nice smile, nice eyes...not too skinny, not too built, not too fat...oo tattoos, but only good ones...
    :shock:
    No one can accuse you of not knowing what you want!
    question - do you state that in your profile? and....do you get hate mail? :lol: A few women that I've met that have specifics like 'over 6' tall', or 'not too fat' tell me that they receive tons of hate mail from rejected guys...
    :shock:
    No one can accuse you of not knowing what you want!
    question - do you state that in your profile? and....do you get hate mail? :lol: A few women that I've met that have specifics like 'over 6' tall', or 'not too fat' tell me that they receive tons of hate mail from rejected guys...

hahaha no, I didn't state this in my profile! In fact, I was pretty much joking here. I mean these are all things I like obviously, but I know they don't all exist in one person. I'm "picky" when it comes to men, that's true, but I think being picky is the point of it all...but when it comes down to it, I really don't know what I "want." It's hard to specify exactly what it is you like about a person. I really hate it when people make demands in their profiles about who is "allowed" to contact them.

The hate mail thing is kind of scary though- whether the girls deserve it or not. There's like this whole misogynistic movement out there now of rejected men. There was that guy that killed that woman because she rejected him and he had all those followers online. Once a guy on my dating site IM'd me and I just asked him why he didn't have a profile up, and he went off on me about how all women were out to get him and told me to "die, bitch." It was very disturbing.
    Lauri wrote:
    The hate mail thing is kind of scary though- whether the girls deserve it or not. There's like this whole misogynistic movement out there now of rejected men. There was that guy that killed that woman because she rejected him and he had all those followers online. Once a guy on my dating site IM'd me and I just asked him why he didn't have a profile up, and he went off on me about how all women were out to get him and told me to "die, bitch." It was very disturbing.

there are some crazy people on the internet, but i don't think that's restricted to guys. i'm willing to bet anything that a guy that put 'no fatties' in his profile would get hate mail too. it's not a misogynistic thing, it's a jilted human being thing.
    Whizbang wrote:
    Whizbang wrote:

totally agree.....
    I know on match when you get match emails, they indicate if the guy was previously married or never been married. I am assuming that label is based on what they have chosen as their status - single, divorced, widowed, separated. I am not sure how it works on other sites...guessing the same. My profile indicates I'm divorced but I am as single as they come. Why I went on there and have since canceled my subscription is a topic for another day. ;)

i think on okcupid it's just available and seeing someone.

since you posted this yesterday and now it's another day, what say you tell that match story?

No it's much more fine tuned on okc! "Available" actually means that you are seeing someone, in whatever capacity, but you are still looking for someone. The "polyamorous" people seem to choose this. "Single" means single on okc. "Seeing someone" is somehow different from available, but I think if you're just looking for "friends" you would choose this. There's also "married" as an option. But you're right I don't think there's a divorced option. That is definitely one thing I like about okc, it's really open to anyone. Not that I really condone cheating and stuff, but people have all different circumstances, so why not let them use the site?
    Lauri wrote:

No it's much more fine tuned on okc! "Available" actually means that you are seeing someone, in whatever capacity, but you are still looking for someone. The "polyamorous" people seem to choose this. "Single" means single on okc. "Seeing someone" is somehow different from available, but I think if you're just looking for "friends" you would choose this. There's also "married" as an option. But you're right I don't think there's a divorced option. That is definitely one thing I like about okc, it's really open to anyone. Not that I really condone cheating and stuff, but people have all different circumstances, so why not let them use the site?

man, i should've paid more attention when i signed up. i wonder what i checked? gotta ease off the cristmas ale...

i've done the quick match thing, i basically rate everyone i'm not interested in as a 3... they dont know and why bother going harsher? far as i can tell, it isn't used for anything anyway unless you check 4-5. i'm not terribly picky and will talk to anyone though, so i give plenty of 4's. you don't often hear back from those anyhow as i recall. then again, i get the impression there are a lot more loser guys for the girls to weed through than the other way round.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Not for me... too many creeps out there :o

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    then again, i get the impression there are a lot more loser guys for the girls to weed through than the other way round.

oh totally. I've checked out the female population on okc, and it's not bad at all! lots of good choices for guys. There's more of an age range for girls too. I get frustrated because the few guys I find interesting are usually younger- which I have no problem with. I'll usually email them anyway, but I get the feeling they don't want to date older women. I mentioned it before, but the late 20s-early 30s pickins are really slim.
    Lauri wrote:
    then again, i get the impression there are a lot more loser guys for the girls to weed through than the other way round.

oh totally. I've checked out the female population on okc, and it's not bad at all! lots of good choices for guys. There's more of an age range for girls too. I get frustrated because the few guys I find interesting are usually younger- which I have no problem with. I'll usually email them anyway, but I get the feeling they don't want to date older women. I mentioned it before, but the late 20s-early 30s pickins are really slim.

Try eharmony or something. I took their 3.5 hour psych breakdown test and now get like 10 emails a day from those bastards. But they seem to skew older. Okc seems a bit of a younger crowd and I've noticed many of them are skittish.
    Try eharmony or something. I took their 3.5 hour psych breakdown test and now get like 10 emails a day from those bastards. But they seem to skew older. Okc seems a bit of a younger crowd and I've noticed many of them are skittish.

eHarmony scares me.
    Lauri wrote:

eHarmony scares me.

well they havent done anything to me other than spam me and try to get me to drop a ton of $ for a monthly membership.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    i'm on okcupid now..

and I am already irritated by the format...

how can you see who has viewed you?

and that rating system is like a roultte wheel..

yes?

Feedback ladies.. I need feedback!
    ;)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    i'm on okcupid now..

yes?

;)

there should be a bar in the bottom right of your home page that tells you everyone that's looked at your profile. the rating system is kinda strange. so is the similar users thing on every profile you look at... it's like amazon recommendations only for girls, hehe.

that said, aside from the godawful name and juvenile format, it's been ok to me. i've met with 3 people since joining no more than a month ago, and there are several others i plan to in the weeks ahead. 2 of them were nice enough but not for me, but the one chick is pretty promising. we went on a second date last night and are hitting a bar/show on weds right before the holiday.

but you can't really hesitate. i probably get one response for every 3 messages i send and usually it sorta fizzles out unless you make a real push to actually meet each other in person. so, as in real life, it seems you still have to put yourself out there and most of the time you're going to strike out.
    locked wrote:
    i'm on okcupid now..

yes?

;)

there should be a bar in the bottom right of your home page that tells you everyone that's looked at your profile. the rating system is kinda strange. so is the similar users thing on every profile you look at... it's like amazon recommendations only for girls, hehe.

that said, aside from the godawful name and juvenile format, it's been ok to me. i've met with 3 people since joining no more than a month ago, and there are several others i plan to in the weeks ahead. 2 of them were nice enough but not for me, but the one chick is pretty promising. we went on a second date last night and are hitting a bar/show on weds right before the holiday.

but you can't really hesitate. i probably get one response for every 3 messages i send and usually it sorta fizzles out unless you make a real push to actually meet each other in person. so, as in real life, it seems you still have to put yourself out there and most of the time you're going to strike out.

no fair, I've been on there like a year, have been on like 4 or 5 dates, and none of them were anyone I'd consider going out with again!

You can see who has viewed you on the left, under "My Profile" and then "Visitors" (it used to be called "stalkers" which was hilarious but they changed it!)
    Lauri wrote:
    no fair, I've been on there like a year, have been on like 4 or 5 dates, and none of them were anyone I'd consider going out with again!

well given that you're too cool for me to even see your profile, i'm not surprised you would decline to meet most people and then find the few you do to be below your standards ;)

in all seriousness though, you said earlier you were super picky and even typed up a list of 'wants' that blew my mind. even if it was half joking and you don't demand them all, the fact that you can easily call to mind that many things you'd like in a mate says a lot i think. it's like seinfeld... if you're looking for things to turn you off, you're going to find them pretty easily. there's a world of difference between "settling" and giving people a chance. if you want more dates and better odds of going on one with someone that might stick, don't be one of the 'replies very selectively' people ;) one of the dates i went on knowing the girl was not at all my type, but it was something to do of an evening and you never know when you might have somebody pegged wrong. it's not very easy to sum yourself up in a profile like that, so i try not to use it as a means to disqualify people unless they are hideous or have kids or are saving themselves for marriage or something :mrgreen:
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Lauri wrote:

well given that you're too cool for me to even see your profile, i'm not surprised you would decline to meet most people and then find the few you do to be below your standards ;)

in all seriousness though, you said earlier you were super picky and even typed up a list of 'wants' that blew my mind. even if it was half joking and you don't demand them all, the fact that you can easily call to mind that many things you'd like in a mate says a lot i think. it's like seinfeld... if you're looking for things to turn you off, you're going to find them pretty easily. there's a world of difference between "settling" and giving people a chance. if you want more dates and better odds of going on one with someone that might stick, don't be one of the 'replies very selectively' people ;) one of the dates i went on knowing the girl was not at all my type, but it was something to do of an evening and you never know when you might have somebody pegged wrong. it's not very easy to sum yourself up in a profile like that, so i try not to use it as a means to disqualify people unless they are hideous or have kids or are saving themselves for marriage or something :mrgreen:

I have kids..........Boooooooooooooooooo soulsinging :(
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    PJPixie wrote:
    Lauri wrote:

I have kids..........Boooooooooooooooooo soulsinging :(

don't worry. it's not a common guy thing, i just really have no interest even in children of my own.
    Lauri wrote:

Well, it really wasn't that easy to call to mind. I basically challenged myself to do so because I've been drifting along not knowing what I "want" and still trying to meet people online, which doesn't work very well. I've definitely gone out with some guys from okc that I haven't been excited about, but thought, "you never know." Unfortunately, they all turned out worse than expected! I honestly get a lot of views, but not a lot of emails. I think a lot of the guys are just lazy. And, there's the whole thing about not being in the right age ranges. The younger guys seem to think I'm too old, and I'm just not into 50 year-olds. And there's what I mentioned before- a lot of guys write me and ask for immediate sex. I am no prude, whatsoever. BUT that does not appeal to me. If a guy can't invest in making plans ahead of time and just hoping for the best, well I'm sorry, I don't have means to invest either. Some of the dates I've been on I've been really excited about and then met the guys and immediate knew there was nothing there.

The good news is I just signed a lease with a roommate who meets guys left and right and never seems to date any of them. Maybe I'll meet some offline through osmosis! I've basically been single for 2 years, which is FINE, trust me. But meeting people is exciting, so whether online or off, it would be nice to do so!
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I was just asked out by a 21 year old. I'm 40. And it wasn't an online thing. I met him standing in line at THEM CROOKED VULTURES show in LA last week. The last 10 or so dates I've had have all been people i met ONLINE.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    PJPixie wrote:
    I was just asked out by a 21 year old. I'm 40. And it wasn't an online thing. I met him standing in line at THEM CROOKED VULTURES show in LA last week. The last 10 or so dates I've had have all been people i met ONLINE.

well, he's old enough to get into a bar with his own ID, right? that is my minimum age requirement....though the fact I'd be old enough to be his mom is a bit weird. ;)

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,778
    hmmm
    I miss igotid88