On-line dating? I give up!

Comments

• lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    [one of my pj tour buddies that i always meet on the road, is as obsessive about u2 as he is about pj. i also know a couple of pj fans just as obsessive over bruce. they ARe out there, and i am sure for other bands as well. we just aren't privy to it all b/c that's not our community. that said, there IS a middle ground in all of this - being mildly obessive. ;)

i do collect posters from shows i've attended, but i also love art....so it combines passions. i also collect bootlegs from shows i've attended, simply b/c listening to them brings back many happy memories, even if i do so only occasionally. i have traveled a good deal to see pj b/c it's a great and novel way to plan a travel itinerary, and combine 2 things that i utterly LOVE; seeing pj live AND travel. i also manage to travel w/o seeing pj, have other - equally obsessive - passions, as does my husband.....so again, it's not all or nothing. there's lots of grey area in there. i thoroughly enjoy people who are passionate about *something*....even something i am not, makes for infinitely fascinating coversation. overly-obsessive, yea...perhaps not, but a true passion can be enjoyable.

also, many a friend/family-member who is not a fan has been quite envious of my trips, and also think what a cool way to go about traveling and meeting new people, etc, etc. all combining passions.[/quote]

well put d2d!!

:D
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    ever read Rolling Stone and noice how they DRONE ON about The Beatles and Bob Dylan like they were the only artists that ever mattered...?

I'm just comparing the whole "cult worship" thing...

and I do compare oursleves (The people who are a bit obsessive with PJ) to the fans of The Grateful Dead...

aka "Dead Heads"..

I think its a valid and worthy comparison except the vast majority of hard core PJ "Freaks" (Ed's nickname not mine) hold onto pretty good jobs and don't need to sell food and beads at PJ shows..

PJ and The Dead are just about the only two fanbases that ravenously collect live bootlegs of the performances (I would add the Dave Matthews Band and their fanbase to the list as well..)

(again, not a put down to Dead heads.. just an observation)..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i always find the posts from people who are trying to convince their partner to like pearl jam...i never understood why this is a deal breaker...why does one's partner have enjoy everything they do and vice versa? and if one is so obsessed with the band that they would reject a person that they might have a wonderful life with perhaps one should re-evaluate their priorities
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    locked wrote:
    ever read Rolling Stone and noice how they DRONE ON about The Beatles and Bob Dylan like they were the only artists that ever mattered...?

and I do compare oursleves (The people who are a bit obsessive with PJ) to the fans of The Grateful Dead...

aka "Dead Heads"..

I think its a valid and worthy comparison except the vast majority of hard core PJ "Freaks" (Ed's nickname not mine) hold onto pretty good jobs and don't need to sell food and beads at PJ shows..

PJ and The Dead are just about the only two fanbases that ravenously collect live bootlegs of the performances (I would add the Dave Matthews Band and their fanbase to the list as well..)

(again, not a put down to Dead heads.. just an observation)..

well its true. ;):lol:

i dont even know anymore why i continue to buy rolling stone. i think its an unbreakable habit. actually i think its a sickness.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    norm wrote:
    i always find the posts from people who are trying to convince their partner to like pearl jam...i never understood why this is a deal breaker...why does one's partner have enjoy everything they do and vice versa? and if one is so obsessed with the band that they would reject a person that they might have a wonderful life with perhaps one should re-evaluate their priorities
    I prefer my partner to have other interests, that way I learn and am exposed to new things, as so are they.
    Save room for dessert!
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    I prefer my partner to have other interests, that way I learn and am exposed to new things, as so are they.

i prefer my partner to have other interests that way they dont annoy the shit out me.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    locked wrote:

Phish
    Allman Brothers
    Widespread Panic
    ...and others
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    agreed.
    point is, not everyone here is like that. at ALL. you and i and many, many others are cases in point. that's all. like most things, there are degrees....

i rarely talk pj with anyone who is not into pj. it is, at most, a cursory comment here or there, nothing more. i do not want to be bored silly with someone els'es incessant dronings of one topic, so of course i realize the same with my interests. balance, balance, balance. that was my whole point.

mine too. i got the impression that was not the case though, the way people were talking about being misunderstood for their obsession and talking about it like maybe they'd made a bigger deal about it than they should have.
    locked wrote:

that's my point though... it's annoying when RS does it to the beatles, why would somebody else not think a similar single-minded obsessiong with another band is equally annoying? that's all i'm saying. tone it down, they're just a band and not worth missing out on getting some ;)
    norm wrote:

exactly. sure it's a nice bonus, but as long as they're willing to let you do your odd collecting or show travelling, who cares what groups they like? and that's not something you need to front, it's a bridge you can cross when you get to it.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    norm wrote:

i prefer my partner to have other interests that way they dont annoy the shit out me.

:lol:
    i like this.

i sometimes see couples who are equally obsessive (or close to it) at some shows, and think...how sweet! there are some pluses to it. but, on the other hand...i kinda agree that it's better to have different obsessions. there should always be a voice of reason in there, somewhere, to temper the other....and sure, it just makes it more fun and interesting. i'm glad hubby turned me onto pj - and i think he doesn;t regret it ;) - and it's great that he'll come and enjoy a couple shows here or there and is accepting of my interests as i am his...but i do truly enjoy going off on my own, with friends, and geeking out with like-minded individuals....and hubby is happy enough w/o that. :mrgreen: so yea, balance. it's also good too, b/c i don't think it's healthy to listen to pj 24/7, and it's good to have other musical interests, and other interests, period.
    agreed.
    point is, not everyone here is like that. at ALL. you and i and many, many others are cases in point. that's all. like most things, there are degrees....

i rarely talk pj with anyone who is not into pj. it is, at most, a cursory comment here or there, nothing more. i do not want to be bored silly with someone els'es incessant dronings of one topic, so of course i realize the same with my interests. balance, balance, balance. that was my whole point.

mine too. i got the impression that was not the case though, the way people were talking about being misunderstood for their obsession and talking about it like maybe they'd made a bigger deal about it than they should have.

oh well, sure, yes...some people, absolutely.
    locked for instance.;) waaaayyyyyy too obsessive my friend! :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• I have been on both sides. My ex made my PJ interests hard. She never listened or shared. Made me leave a show early when I had floor seats. (I missed I've got a feeling) My fiance however gave it a chance and loved it way more than she thought she would. She's not obsessed, but she does share in the passion which is great.

Having been in both places, all I would ask for is acceptance and an open-mind. Anything else is a bonus. Anything less is a dealbreaker.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    I have been on both sides. My ex made my PJ interests hard. She never listened or shared. Made me leave a show early when I had floor seats. (I missed I've got a feeling) My fiance however gave it a chance and loved it way more than she thought she would. She's not obsessed, but she does share in the passion which is great.

Having been in both places, all I would ask for is acceptance and an open-mind. Anything else is a bonus. Anything less is a dealbreaker.

great post!
    :thumbup:
    i think that holds true for most things...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

BinFrog wrote:
    locked wrote:

Phish
    Allman Brothers
    Widespread Panic
    ...and others

Yes... I stand corrected!

Valid point BF!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    "]
    norm wrote:
    oh well, sure, yes...some people, absolutely.
    locked for instance.;) waaaayyyyyy too obsessive my friend! :mrgreen:

"I got nothin' to say, nothin' to say but... GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY!....mmmmmmmmmmONCE Upon a Time... I could control MY-SELF!"

8-) l
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    I have been on both sides. My ex made my PJ interests hard. She never listened or shared. Made me leave a show early when I had floor seats. (I missed I've got a feeling) My fiance however gave it a chance and loved it way more than she thought she would. She's not obsessed, but she does share in the passion which is great.

great post!
    :thumbup:
    i think that holds true for most things...

I have to agree!
    Not only do I have dogs, I'm an avid equestrian. I no longer have my horse but when I did, I kept her stabled at a place where I had to pitch in. I loved my barn time (miss it terribly actually)...it was MINE. Loved it when a man I was seeing would visit or come to a horse show in which I was competing but I really didn't want them to take up riding lessons along side of me. Acceptance and an open mind, anything else is a bonus...anything less is a deal breaker <----great, great philosophy.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
    well, i dont know if ill ever actually get a date from my okcupid profile (ps, worst website name ever), but i do know that those questions they have on there have helped me kill hours at work.
    well, i dont know if ill ever actually get a date from my okcupid profile (ps, worst website name ever), but i do know that those questions they have on there have helped me kill hours at work.

yes....the worst name for a website.
    good luck though!
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

anyone tried speed dating???
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    BinFrog wrote:
    locked wrote:

Phish
    Allman Brothers
    Widespread Panic
    ...and others

theres a band called widespread panic?????? :shock:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748

hahaha yes, I love the tests! some of them are actually pretty fun. OKC has been driving me nuts lately though. Every time I log on, I am immediately bombarded with IM's from guys ages like 22-52 just asking me for sex. Just flat out asking me for sex, that night. They always say, "so are you into the fun, casual thing?" (though they usually use "u" instead of "you" and other attractive shortcuts and misspelling like that). They also seem to think that telling me I'm cute or beautiful is going to be magic word that seals the deal.

I don't get how "fun/casual"=having sex with someone you don't know right this instant. My thought is, I meet a guy, it can go a bunch of different ways, one them being just a more casual relationship. I hate how many guys have a preset goal of what type of relationship they want before they even meet someone. To me that sort of thing just leads to disaster. Ba-humbug. If only I could meet someone as cool as I am :).
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    locked wrote:

only with other grad students while I was in grad school. It was terrible, and that wasn't even with the general population. A major peeve I have with speed dating is that they draw these arbitrary age lines, like 30-40 or whatever. Um well, what if the guy I want to meet is 28? It should be more like there's just one big group of people, and the organizers only have you meet people within 5 or 7 or whatever years of your own age or something like that. It's funny you really don't hear much about speed dating anymore.
    Lauri wrote:

hahaha yes, I love the tests! some of them are actually pretty fun. OKC has been driving me nuts lately though. Every time I log on, I am immediately bombarded with IM's from guys ages like 22-52 just asking me for sex. Just flat out asking me for sex, that night. They always say, "so are you into the fun, casual thing?" (though they usually use "u" instead of "you" and other attractive shortcuts and misspelling like that). They also seem to think that telling me I'm cute or beautiful is going to be magic word that seals the deal.

I don't get how "fun/casual"=having sex with someone you don't know right this instant. My thought is, I meet a guy, it can go a bunch of different ways, one them being just a more casual relationship. I hate how many guys have a preset goal of what type of relationship they want before they even meet someone. To me that sort of thing just leads to disaster. Ba-humbug. If only I could meet someone as cool as I am :).

i'm sorry to hear that, sorta. it sucks for you, but it certainly makes me feel a lot happier with my responses ;) hopefully i stand out then, by virtue of writing in complete sentences and asking about them. I'm sure there are a lot of guys just using the site hoping to get laid. I'm kinda surprised I'm not one of them, given that according to their personality bell curve, i am more desiring of sex than 96% of the people on the site, hehe.
    Lauri wrote:
    locked wrote:

only with other grad students while I was in grad school. It was terrible, and that wasn't even with the general population. A major peeve I have with speed dating is that they draw these arbitrary age lines, like 30-40 or whatever. Um well, what if the guy I want to meet is 28? It should be more like there's just one big group of people, and the organizers only have you meet people within 5 or 7 or whatever years of your own age or something like that. It's funny you really don't hear much about speed dating anymore.

Yeah, Lauri, I feel the same way.. and plus it was like having to do a commerical about " yourself" in 4 minutes four times.. and if the girl took the whole 8 minutes (which most of them did...) you are SOL.
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • CorsoCorso Posts: 201
    edited December 2011
    :|
    Post edited by Corso on
    locked wrote:
    its been three years and I am still single..

The woman I meet all seem to have the following:
    - Constantly talk about nothing but themsleves.
    - Expect to be provided for (money, gifts, travel) in their entirety.
    - Have a secret wish to have a child despite denying so on profile
    - Have an overblown opinion of their own attractiveness level.
    - Have an overblown idea of what man they want/ think they can date (Brad Pitt / George clooney cross over)
    - Have a very little sense of humor..

and finally.... Do not give a damn about Pearl Jam or hard rock music in general...

I posted it before...

I NEED A PJ GIRL!!!!! PLEASE GOD!?

For anyone keeping score at home.. these statistics remain 100% accurate after my most recent date!
    (EVERY one of them in fact!)

Ugh..the search continues ..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    locked wrote:
    its been three years and I am still single..

The woman I meet all seem to have the following:
    - Constantly talk about nothing but themsleves.
    - Expect to be provided for (money, gifts, travel) in their entirety.
    - Have a secret wish to have a child despite denying so on profile
    - Have an overblown opinion of their own attractiveness level.
    - Have an overblown idea of what man they want/ think they can date (Brad Pitt / George clooney cross over)
    - Have a very little sense of humor..

and finally.... Do not give a damn about Pearl Jam or hard rock music in general...

I posted it before...

I NEED A PJ GIRL!!!!! PLEASE GOD!?

For anyone keeping score at home.. these statistics remain 100% accurate after my most recent date!
    (EVERY one of them in fact!)

Ugh..the search continues ..

dude...that sucks!
    keep on rockin', it will all work out.
    I'm an advocate of "I'd rather be alone than wish I was"......

Corso wrote:
    Never been married; single, no children, getting old, never tried the on-line date service not sure that I would. I mean it may increase a person chance and it takes less time but how many couples actually have a good time or become committed to each other through a dating service? A passport would increase a person chance. I need to get mine...

how many couples have a good time or become committed to each other through getting drunk at a bar? seems as reasonable a way to meet someone as any other, and it makes more sense to me than trying to get to know someone while shouting over the noise in a dark bar or club.

what's a passport got to do with anything?
  • Corso wrote:
    Never been married; single, no children, getting old, never tried the on-line date service not sure that I would. I mean it may increase a person chance and it takes less time but how many couples actually have a good time or become committed to each other through a dating service? A passport would increase a person chance. I need to get mine...

how many couples have a good time or become committed to each other through getting drunk at a bar? seems as reasonable a way to meet someone as any other, and it makes more sense to me than trying to get to know someone while shouting over the noise in a dark bar or club.

what's a passport got to do with anything?

agreed.
    if you're open to it, and can work for you...if you want it to. if you don't, you don't...and so it goes. a lot of people like to be proactive in their dating, others like to leave it simply to chance. there's no one right or wrong way, just what you're comfortable with.

as to the passport thing, i imagine it's simply to broaden your circle, meet new people?

my oldest sister met her 2nd husband thru newspaper personals, preinternet...and she met her current BF online. i met my husband thru mutual friends at a party, but 'knew' each other for years...my middle sister met most of her BFs, and her now husband, at bars. whatever works!

locked - is it bad that i laughed at your latest post? :oops: i don't laugh at your pain - i feel for ya buddy, but your words were simply too funny! :lol: hang in there buddy!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

meeting my first girl from the interweb for coffee tonight. we'll see how this goes.